Death of King Bhumibol Adulyadej: October 13, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Will his funeral be attended by foreign royals? European? Asian? African?

I hope that members of the Royal families of Europe, Asia and Africa are present in funeral ceremonies.

Condolences following thepassing of King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand | President of Russia
Vladimir Putin sent his condolences to Queen Sirikit of Thailand following the passing of King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand.
Mr Putin said that King Bhumibol Adulyadej’s name is associated with an important period in Thailand’s recent history that saw great economic development and a stronger position on the international stage.
Telegram of condolences to Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Thailand Prayut Chan-o-cha on death of the King of Thailand Bhumibol Adulyadej | Official site of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan

The message notes that the Head of State with deep sorrow has learned about the death of the King of Thailand.
"In memory of the people of Kazakhstan Bhumibol Adulyadej will forever remain a visionary leader and a man of outstanding personality that has made a particular contribution to the establishment and development of friendly relations between our countries", the condolence telegram states.

Last edited:
sad news may he rest in peace.
what about the funeral:the date the attendance.....

The funeral of his sister Princess Galyani in 2008 was several months after her death. So i think it will be the same for the King.

I'm not sure how things work in Thailand as they haven't had a new King for very long but from what i understand from the funerals of the kings mother (H.R.H The Princess Mother) in 1996 and sister (H.R.H Princess Galyani Vadhana) in 2008, there will be a grieving period for several months until a royal cremation takes place.
Don't know if there was any foreign royals present.

Last edited:
Cremation after several months?
And where the body will be held until the cremation? In a hospital freezer?

Tragic news. My great condolences both to his family and to his people :sad:

It seems the wrong time to discus. It does seem siridhorn is better suited than her brother, and well known and seemingly respected. It seems wrong IMO to simply name her regent to her brother. If he isn't fit to be king, she should be queen not regent. But we will see how things in days and weeks to come,

There is no doubt here in Thailand that the Crown Prince will become Rama X -- he has simply requested time to mourn his father's passing properly before being appointed and taking on his role as the new monarch. (In the Palace, behind the scenes, the Crown Prince's staff have already assumed their new roles and responsibilities.)

Meanwhile, a year of mourning has been proclaimed, during which time we are all expected to wear black. And it will take that long (possibly even longer) to prepare for the royal funeral and cremation, which no doubt will be a very extravagant, days-long affair attended by many royals and heads of state. (Several years back I attended the funeral/cremation of Princess Galyani, elder sister of King Bhumibol, a year after her passing, and it was an extraordinary experience executed with pomp and age-old Buddhist rites.)

Anything and everything else is mere speculation that do Thai people no good in this time when they are dealing with such an immense loss.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Maybe a "Succession to the Thai Throne" should be opened, so this thread could be solely about His late Majesty's death, while we can discuss the succession in another thread?

Victoria's Secret, my most humble apologies for my part in discussing things that should not be mentioned at a time of a deep loss that envelops an entire nation. Thank you for reminding me to mind my manners and to be respectful. It is appreciated.

Thank you also for more insight into what happens and when to expect a funeral and a cremation of His Majesty. I look forward immensely to following the proceedings and the traditions and it will broaden my insight into a beautiful culture of a beautiful nation.

Last edited:
King Bhumibol's coronation took place several years after his brother's death to allow him time to complete his studies in Switzerland. In this case, my personal opinion is that we can probably expect to see the Crown Prince ascending to the thrown after the first 100 days of mourning have passed. But he may very well decide to wait until after the funeral and cremation of his father.

I might also add that proper time is required to prepare for a coronation. It also consists of an elaborate series of traditional ceremonies.

I sincerely hope that I am not violating anything that is sacred and meaningful to the people mourning the loss of their beloved king but as The Royal Forums is an international, global society, there will be many such as myself that empathize and mourn the loss of man that has has been beloved by his nation and his people.

In a way to avoid asking questions and perhaps give insight to what will be happening in the next year or so, I've found an article posted on the internet that explains the basics of what happens when a devout man such as King Bhamibol passes on and the deep meaning behind the rituals and the ceremonies that mark his passing.

Again, if this is inappropriate, please ask the moderators to remove it. I am hoping that this maybe will help our global community to perhaps join in mourning with the people of Thailand in their grief. Unless we understand, we cannot begin to truly empathize.

Buddhist Funeral Rites in Thailand and South Asian Countries

There is still no information about the funeral ceremonies of the King of Thailand?

Will his funeral be attended by foreign royals? European? Asian? African?

The royal cremation ceremony is a massive event. Usually it takes couple of months in preparation because we have to rebuild the Royal Crematorium at the Royal Ground (Sanamluang). This is our tradition that we only build the crematorium only when a royal dies. We believe that if the crematorium is built permanently it means we're constantly waiting for someone to die. Please wait for the official statement about details of the ceremony from the government.

example of this royal cremation ceremony back in 2009 when Princess Galyani passed away (HM the king's older sister) :

[youtube]sae2JhQw04Q[/youtube]
[youtube]g0guIoPDE2s[/youtube]
[youtube]MfdAD7xPrqg[/youtube]

It's the Bathing Ceremony that will come soon and with the one-year mourning period declared more elaborate rituals will be held at certain dates that will be determined later. The funeral of King Father Norodom Sihanouk of Cambodia was only held after one year. We have seen funerals of several members of Thailand's Royal family, they took several months before the Cremation Ceremony were completed. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...umibol-adulyadej-dies-what-happens-next-death

There is no doubt here in Thailand that the Crown Prince will become Rama X -- he has simply requested time to mourn his father's passing properly before being appointed and taking on his role as the new monarch. (In the Palace, behind the scenes, the Crown Prince's staff have already assumed their new roles and responsibilities.)

Meanwhile, a year of mourning has been proclaimed, during which time we are all expected to wear black. And it will take that long (possibly even longer) to prepare for the royal funeral and cremation, which no doubt will be a very extravagant, days-long affair attended by many royals and heads of state. (Several years back I attended the funeral/cremation of Princess Galyani, elder sister of King Bhumibol, a year after her passing, and it was an extraordinary experience executed with pomp and age-old Buddhist rites.)

Anything and everything else is mere speculation that do Thai people no good in this time when they are dealing with such an immense loss.

thanks for providing us with this detail. as sad as the occasion is, the preparation for his funerals is truly something out of another world. no other funeral in the world for a head of state would draw such an event as the one you describe. i am most interested to see what will happen.

how long is it expected that the funeral will take to happen? i am most certain we will see a big congregation of foreign royalty, similar to the one we saw for HM's birthday some years ago.

so the Crown Prince has his own staff and no (or almost none) staff from the late king will continue in the court? i assumed that the prince would want his aides to take more ownership now but i wonder if he will keep some of the previous generation.

i was also wondering if this means that the public for several months will wear black? very different practice than in other countries.

As many forumers here may concern, I can confirm that the next reign is going to be a sole monarch which is King Vachilalongkorn. The law may entitled HRH Princess Sirindhorn to ascend the throne but that prospect is practically impossible since the Crown Princess is older, a male heir and controls the army (which the Princess does not).

And I can assure you that the last thing that the entire nation wants at this moment is having Thailand becoming a republic.

His Majesty's body will be moved from Siriraj Hospital to Dusit Mahaprasat Hall in the Grand Palace this afternoon at 15.00 Hr. (GMT+7). You can watch a live television coverage from link I previously posted (Thai PBS Live).

[youtube]oMXNfM8Woko[/youtube]

For the question regarding of foreign royals attending the cremation ceremony, there was a presence from Japanese Imperial Family by HRH Prince and Princess of Akishino at HRH Princess Mother Srinagrindra's ceremony in 1996. Royals from Brunei and Malaysia also presented as well.

[youtube]jxOGWdeE8MI[/youtube]
[youtube]AAdwO6fW0cw[/youtube]

Last edited:
Cremation after several months?
And where the body will be held until the cremation? In a hospital freezer?

As per Thai tradition, body of passed royals would be lying in state in Dusit Throne Hall in various urns according to their ranks. Traditionally, the body is held in knee-up sitting position, but His Majesty in the Golden Urn requested that his mother and sister be rested in a coffin that placed behind an altar (that placed the said urn). However for the funeral of Princess Petcharat, she requested to be in sitting position in the urn as per tradition.

Last edited:
It will take at least a year -- if not longer -- to prepare for King Bhumibol's royal funeral and cremation, and it will be unlike anything seen in our time. I also have no doubt that it will be the biggest congregation of royalty and heads of state seen in many, many years. Until then, for the most part, Thai people will wear black or sombre colours to pay respect during the official year-long mourning period.

thanks for the insider knowledge! how very interesting. what will happen to the body until the funeral takes place? i assume it will be cremated?

thanks for the insider knowledge! how very interesting. what will happen to the body until the funeral takes place? i assume it will be cremated?

Carlota, the cremation will take place after the funeral rites and ceremonies, a year or more from now. Until then, His Majesty's body will be embalmed (after the official royal bathing rites ceremony taking place today I believe) and I'm actually not sure at this stage where it will be kept (but most certainly at a very special, private place). I'll try to find out where.

Last edited:
Victoria's Secret - thanks! i wasn't sure if maybe they'd cremate him now and then do the funeral, but it makes sense to embalm him. is it traditionary to show the body of the defunct in thailand?

Back
Top Bottom