Cremation Ceremony of King Bhumibol Adulyadej; 26 October 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Appleich

Nobility
City
Bangkok
Country
Thailand
Designs and layouts for the royal crematorium and surrounding areas are unveiled by the government today :

Planned and designed by Fine Arts Department, the royal crematorium is resembled to King Chulalongkorn (Rama V)'s crematorium which was one of the kingdom's largest royal crematorium ever built in modern era. The traditional Thai royal crematorium has always been designed in accordance with Buddhist concept of universe since the ancient time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZefjMaE30MM

Bangkok Post :

Courtesy photos from Post Today :

Last edited:
Gathering at Bhumibol Bridge this morning to remember the late King Bhumibol and mark occasion of his birthday :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha_Bdo2hBGM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CUFNUpUrt4

The Bhumibol Bridge (Thai: สะพานภูมิพล), also known as the Industrial Ring Road Bridge (Thai: สะพานวงแหวนอุตสาหกรรม) is part of the 13 km long Industrial Ring Road connecting southern Bangkok with Samut Prakan Province. The bridge crosses the Chao Phraya River twice, with two striking cable-stayed spans of lengths of 702 m and 582 m supported by two diamond-shaped pylons 173 m and 164 m high. Where the two spans meet, another road rises to join them at a free-flowing interchange suspended 50 metres above the ground.

The bridge opened for traffic on 20 September 2006, before the official opening date of 5 December 2006. It is part of the Bangkok Industrial Ring Road, a royal scheme initiated by King Bhumibol Adulyadej that aims to solve traffic problems within Bangkok and surrounding areas, especially the industrial area around Khlong Toei Port, Southern Bangkok and Samut Prakan Province.

Source : Wikipedia

my goodness. Funeral not before october 2017...! Must be hard for the King´s family not to be able to put an end. I think only after the funeral of a beloved person or family member you´ll be able to slowly come to terms again and go on with your life...

They simply take too long to do things.

The commitee overseeing the Royal Funeral chaired by HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn on Wednesday released a time schedule for the ceremony which will take place during 25 - 29 December 2017:

Meanwhile, Their Imperial Majesties the Emperor and Empress of Japan are on their personal visit to Thailand, paying respect to HM the late King Bhumibol:

Last edited:
Thai artisans craft for king's funeral, AsiaOne Asia News

"Thai artisans work against the scratching, moulding ans shaping the intricate clay sculptures that will adorn the funeral pyre of Thailand's revered former King Bhumibol. The sculptures , of animals, gods and mythical creatures, will decorate the spectacular 50 metre pyre that is set to provide a final stage for Bhumibol"

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30308576

"Construction workers assemble one of the pavilions surrounding the late Thai King Bhumibol Adulyadej's funeral pyre in front of the Grand Palace in Bangkok on March 31, 2017. The exact date of the King's funeral is not yet known, with Bhumibol's heir, King Maha Vajiralongkorn, to decide on an auspicious time, expected to be in late 2017. "

Belga Image

"THAILAND'S late King Bhumibol Adulyadej will be cremated on October 26, a government official said today, adding that the king's funeral will take place over a five day period."

Thailand King to be cremated a year after death in October | World | News | Express.co.uk

Thai king's cremation set for Oct. 26 - govt official | Daily Mail Online

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I get that they have long mourning and several day funerals, but over a year wait still seems a long time. Especially considering the body. Do they have an official crypt, storage, something for his body until then?

I never realized a public funeral pyre. Wow. Didn't think that happrned now a days :ohmy:

I have never been so fascinated to see a funeral before. I have always loved studying cultures and traditions. And this is one I've little exposure to.

I definitely agree with you Countessmeout and have been very interested in learning about the funeral practices, beliefs and traditions of Thailand.

I really do admire how a much beloved King is truly mourned and they take time to grieve and the ceremonial rituals are done over an expanse of time. Very fitting way to not only honor a King that meant so much to his people but also very much keeping his memory alive and in their thoughts until there is a final cremation over a period of days when they finally let him go.

In a world where everything is instant and everyone is in a hurry, its refreshing to know that somewhere in this world there are people that take their time to say "goodbye" to a beloved monarch.

Apart from allowing a proper mourning period, the main reason so much time is required to prepare for the cremation is the elaborate funeral pyre and royal crematorium being constructed: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2016/11/28/royal-crematorium-design-unveiled-photos/

It's going to be a spectacular affair no doubt. Millions of people from across the country are expected to attend, and we have been informed that everything in Bangkok will come to a standstill. It's already been announced that government institutions will be closed over the five-day period -- and the private sector is likely to do the same. The company I work for has already informed the management team as such. There will also be a complete ban on the sale of alcoholic products during this time, with nightlife venues closed as well. The cost of the cremation is not known, but I believe it can be as high as 800 million THB.

It is going to be a truly historic event.

Thank you so much for all the information. I'm hoping that when the time comes, you'll be able to post links to watch the ceremonies as I seriously doubt that it'll be televised here in the US.

I'm very interested in following it all.

You're very welcome! There are plenty of digital media outlets in Thailand that will have live coverage, as well as live social media coverage (Facebook, IG, etc) so you will have an opportunity to follow the proceedings no matter where you are.

In my capacity as editor of a regional publication I will also attend some of the ceremonies -- and hopefully have an opportunity to post pics, too.

Wow, I get that they have long mourning and several day funerals, but over a year wait still seems a long time. Especially considering the body. Do they have an official crypt, storage, something for his body until then?

I never realized a public funeral pyre. Wow. Didn't think that happrned now a days :ohmy:

I have never been so fascinated to see a funeral before. I have always loved studying cultures and traditions. And this is one I've little exposure to.

Countessmeout, the embalmed remains of HM King Bhumibol is being kept in a special back room of the Dusit Maha Prasit Throne Hall at the Grand Palace. It cannot be viewed by the public -- millions of mourners have been paying their respects in front of a ceremonial royal funeral urn in the throne hall. I have been there myself, twice.

FYI, the cremation part of the upcoming ceremony in October will be very private and cannot be seen. It is all very dignified and respectful. [emoji1317]

Actual cremation ceremony traditionally takes place around 10 p.m. and also be broadcasted live on television. The ceremony is quite simple as there aren't much rituals going on, like this video that shows the cremation ceremony of HRH Princess Mother back in 1996:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5R1NT3l9DY

For live coverage of the ceremony, you can watch from this link which is broadcasted live by Thai PBS: Click here

Last edited:
Thailand Post yesterday debuted commemorative stamps that it will issue in the month of the royal cremation in memory of the beloved late King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

Thailand Post debuts late King's commemorative stamps on royal cremation ceremony - Thai PBS English News

Royal dog statues take pride of place on Thai king's pyre

Royal dog statues take pride of place on Thai king's pyre | Daily Mail Online

Thai mourners patiently queue for hours outside the Grand Palace in Bangkok on September 19, to pay homage to the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej .The Royal Household Bureau has set September 30 as the last day for people to pay their respects.

Belga Image

The royal pyre construction is now 95% completed, will be fully finished on October 10:

Work on royal coffin and urn is already completed:

After months of restoration, work on royal chariots and palanquins is now completed:

Last edited:
Prince Akishino to attend king's cremation | Bangkok Post: news
Prince Akishino and his wife Princess Kiko will visit Thailand for on Oct 26 to attend the funeral of King Bhumibol Adulyadej, the Japanese government said on Friday.

The Cabinet approved the visit the same day. Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko are scheduled to depart Tokyo's Haneda airport in the early hours of Oct 26 to attend the royal cremation ceremony in Bangkok later in the day. The couple will return home the following day.

[...]
Asahi reports Prince Akishino has visited Thailand 18 times in total, including 7 with Princess Kiko.

Thank you for all the news about the cremation
It is very interessing , I never saw a royal ceremony of Cremation

I've also been watching the videos and following what goes on. I have to say that it really impresses me the amount of work that goes into preparing for this cremation ceremony. From the slow, measured steps of those that will be in the procession, to the exquisite artwork that has gone into the royal pyre and all the rites and rituals that has been performed in the late king's memory is so extraordinary and something I don't think I've ever witnessed before.

Thank you to all that have been keeping us updated on this ceremony to honor and respect a very beloved king.

Back
Top Bottom