Cremation Ceremony of King Bhumibol Adulyadej; 26 October 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^^ You're welcome, Ephram. Look forward to learn more about Malaysian royalty and culture from you too!

Hey, Appleich, I have to work today so didn't see the ceremony, but did they announced what the palace going to do with another 3 urns? There're 6 of them; one will be enshrined at Chakri Hall, one for royal cemetery, one to put under Buddha at Wat Bowoniwet. So, who received the remaining 3? We have the king, 2 Chao Fa, and Toon Kramom; 4 of them.

Queens Sashes :
For the first time a Belgian Queen is wearing the Sash of our Last Order. Queen Fabiola never wore Sashes and Queen Paols wore only the foreign Sashes .
Queen Maxima wore her Dutch Sash
Queen Silvia a pink Sash ?
Queen Sofia a yellow Sash?
Princess Margaretha of Luxembourg ?

Last edited:
Queen Sofia is wearing the sash of the Knight of the Order of the Royal House of Chakri.
Queen Silvia is a Dame Grand Cordon of the Order of Chula Chom Klao. Both queens received got their orders during state visits.
Since neither Queen Maxima nor Princess Margaretha were parts of state visits to or from Thailand, they are wearing the highest orders of their countries, sash of Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Netherlands Lion and Order of Merit of Liechtenstein, respectively.

forgive my ignorance but i understand that the crematorium had been built for the purpose of bhumibol's cremation, what will now happen with it?

Hey, Appleich, I have to work today so didn't see the ceremony, but did they announced what the palace going to do with another 3 urns? There're 6 of them; one will be enshrined at Chakri Hall, one for royal cemetery, one to put under Buddha at Wat Bowoniwet. So, who received the remaining 3? We have the king, 2 Chao Fa, and Toon Kramom; 4 of them.

According to this article by Prachachat, there are 6 urns of royal relics (พระบรมอัฐิ) that will later be:
  1. given to Queen Sirikit
  2. given to King Vajiralongkorn
  3. given to Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn
  4. given to Princess Chulabhorn
  5. given to Princess Ubolratana
  6. enshrined at Chakri Maha Prasat Thorne Hall

while royal cremains (พระบรมสรีรางคาร) will separately be enshrined at Wat Bowonniwet Vihara and Wat Ratchabophit kup. (เข้าใจว่า 6 พระโกศนั้นบรรจุพระบรมอัฐิอย่างเดียวครับ ไม่รวมพระบรมสรีรางคารด้วย)

forgive my ignorance but i understand that the crematorium had been built for the purpose of bhumibol's cremation, what will now happen with it?

The crematorium will be opened to public by Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn on Nov. 2 for about one month (until Nov. 30) before being completely dismantled. In the past, some materials of the crematorium was donated and reused in temples and hospitals.

And I've just heard a rumor why last night's actual cremation ceremony was made 'private'. That because Queen Sirikit also presented there, with the whole family, to personally bid farewell to the late king and Thai authority wouldn't want the public to see Her Majesty in such frail and fragile state, probably. However, I cannot confirm you whether this is true or not.

Last edited:
Lots of the building materials were temporary and would not be of much use. Traditionally, they would be dismantled and the useful parts donated to temples.

The most well known case was the crematorium for Prince Siriraj who died in 1887. The wood was used to construct the crematorium so that it was later used to built patient wards for the then brand new Siriraj Hospital.

Recently, the crematorium of the Princess Mother was used to built a pavilion at the Pathum Wanaram Temple. For the Princess Galyani Vadhana, it was given to some organisation and museums, the rest auctioned.

ห้วงเวลาแห่งความอาลัย!! ย้อน..พระเมรุมาศ ภายหลังจากเสร็จพระราชพิธีฯ บางส่วนถูกรื้อถอนไปถ

And I've just heard a rumor why last night's actual cremation ceremony was made 'private'. That because Queen Sirikit also presented there, with the whole family, to personally bid farewell to the late king and Thai authority wouldn't want the public to see Her Majesty in such frail and fragile state, probably. However, I cannot confirm you whether this is true or not.

This reason makes absolutely good sense to me. It was putting the respect of privacy for a Queen who was perhaps the closest to His Majesty and in a frail state before the public. That is, in my mind, the right thing to do.

Because you so thoughtfully added the videos for the actual cremation ceremonies for two late princesses of Thailand, I was able to watch those and in the most recent one of Princess Betarajana in 2012, I observed just how frail the late King Bhumibol was at that time and it amazed me that he participated and stood and walked so regally with obviously having trouble doing so. It was what he felt he wanted and had to do. So, I can imagine Queen Sikirit was in the same situation and if that is the reason for making the final cremation ceremony a private one, I commend those that made it so.

It's a sad story though, most members of the Thai royal family has been in poor health in recent years, especially Queen Sirikit and Princess Chulabhorn.

Live coverage of the royal merit-making ceremony for royal relics of the late King Bhumibol:

Last edited:
I have a few questions about the Thai Monarchy which I hope someone can answer!

Is the current King married to somebody right now? I guess he´s not so the country is without a Queen, right?

Who were the 2 younger looking ladies at the cremation ceremony, literally crawling in front of the King before they sat down behind him. Next to one of them sat a young lad about 13 years of age directly behind the King. His son? If so is he the new heir?!
Thanks for answering in advance!

Last edited:

Is the current King married to somebody right now? I guess he´s not so the country is without a Queen, right?

Who were the 2 younger looking ladies at the cremation ceremony, literally crawling in front of the King before they sat down behind him. Next to one of them sat a young lad about 13 years of age directly behind the King. His son? If so is he the new heir?!

As far as it is known he is not married at the moment.
As for the 2 young ladies at the cremation ceremony. The ones with the pink sash where the King's daughter Princess Bajrakityaba and Princess Sirvinnari Nariratana with the half-brother Pricne Dupangkorn Rasmioti.
The other 3 older ladies where the King's former wife Princess Soamsavali and his sisters, the Princesses Sirindhorn, Ubol Ratana and Chulabhorn (don't know who is who from the last 2).

Last edited:

Thai King brought 'his mistress' to father's cremation | Daily Mail Online

Next to one of them sat a young lad about 13 years of age directly behind the King. His son? If so is he the new heir?!
The king's son (and the king's sister (left) and daughter (right))

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/10/26/07/45AFB2E500000578-0-image-a-23_1509000635663.jpg

The king didn't name his heir yet.

Last edited:
Which daughter? He has two.
Were his older sons also present with their families? The late King was also their grandpa and they should have right to say farewell to him.

The back roll from right to left are Prince Dipankorn, Princess Sirivannavari, and Princess Bajrakitiyabha. The are the king's children. Next to them to the left is Lady Dhasanawalaya (King Bhubibol's niece) and her son, Captain Jitat Sornsongkram. The next 2 are Princess Chulabhorn's daughters Princess Aditayadornkitikhun, and Princess Siribhachudabhorn. The next are Princess Ubol Ratana's daughters, Sirikitiya Jense and Ploypailin Jensen. The last one is David Wheeler, Ploypailin's husband.

This reason makes absolutely good sense to me. It was putting the respect of privacy for a Queen who was perhaps the closest to His Majesty and in a frail state before the public. That is, in my mind, the right thing to do.

I agreed with your opinion for the privacy. The only problem was TV broadcasted the notice to pay respect without specifically stated that the actual ceremony was about to begin. A lot of people got confused for the next few hours, including I.

https://www.prachachat.net/wp-conte...28_10214099451858622_1411658089_n-696x355.jpg

So constitutionally Suthida Tidjai is Queen of Thailand as the King hasn´t divorced her so far....?!

The back roll from right to left are Prince Dipankorn, Princess Sirivannavari, and Princess Bajrakitiyabha. The are the king's children. Next to them to the left is Lady Dhasanawalaya (King Bhubibol's niece) and her son, Captain Jitat Sornsongkram. The next 2 are Princess Chulabhorn's daughters Princess Aditayadornkitikhun, and Princess Siribhachudabhorn. The next are Princess Ubol Ratana's daughters, Sirikitiya Jense and Ploypailin Jensen. The last one is David Wheeler, Ploypailin's husband.

Thanks for identifiing them. One more question about the sisters of the King. Is the one nexst to Princess Sirindhorn Princess Ubol Ratana or Princess Chulabhorn?

So constitutionally Suthida Tidjai is Queen of Thailand as the King hasn´t divorced her so far....?!

As far as i knowit is not confirmed that he is married to her. And how is it in Thailand? Is the Title Queen automatic or does it have to bestowed like for example in Jordan?

Last edited:
Thanks for identifiing them. One more question about the sisters of the King. Is the one nexst to Princess Sirindhorn Princess Ubol Ratana or Princess Chulabhorn?

Princess Chulabhorn as her rank is higher than her sister. Princess Sirindhon is the highest as she is Princess Royal, follow by Princess Chulabhorn. Princess Ubonratana isn't technically royal anymore so she come the last even though she is the oldest.

As far as i knowit is not cinfrimed that he is married to her. And how is it in Thailand? Is the Title Queen automatic or does it have to bestowed like for example in Jordan?

Bestowed of cause. I think it's like that everywhere in the world.

Well, the Daily Mail claimed she was still his wife and even walked in Procession of the funeral while his mistress attended, too, in military function....

Princess Chulabhorn as her rank is higher than her sister. Princess Sirindhon is the highest as she is Princess Royal, follow by Princess Chulabhorn. Princess Ubonratana isn't technically royal anymore so she come the last even though she is the oldest.

Thanks. Thought so too but wasn't sure as i'm not familiar with them.

Bestowed of cause. I think it's like that everywhere in the world.

In Europe it is automatic. For example in the UK it was as announced that Camilla would be the known as Princess Consort when Prince Charles succeededs his mother. But even if she will be known by that Title she will still be Queen as in the UK a wife gets her rank from her husband. She only will not became Queen if the british Parliament passes and Act to remove the Queen Title from her.

Last edited:
Which daughter? He has two.
Were his older sons also present with their families? The late King was also their grandpa and they should have right to say farewell to him.
This family tree chart of King Bhumibol might helps you identify the princesses easier:
https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/7A2E/production/_92787213_thairoyalfamily.png

I'll list you living members of the Thai Royal Family and family of King Bhumibol ranked by royal titles:
  1. Queen Dowager Sirikit (King Rama X's mother, great-granddaughter of King Rama V)

2nd generation
  2. King Vajiralongkorn (Rama X; King Bhumibol's 2nd child)
  3. Princess Sirindhorn (Princess Royal; King Bhumibol's 3rd Child)
  4. Princess Chulabhorn (King Bhumibol's youngest child)
  5. Princess Ubolratana (King Bhumibol's eldest child; technically already lost her royal title but still retain the royal style)
  6. Princess Soamsawali (King Vajiralongkorn's 1st wife; Queen Sirikit's niece)
  7. Than Phu Ying Dhasanawalaya Sornsongkram (Princess Galyani's daughter; King Bhumibol's niece)

3rd generation
  8. Princess Bajrakitiyabha (King Vajiralongkorn's eldest child; of Princess Soamsawali)
  9. Princess Sirivannavari (King Vajiralongkorn's 6th child; of Sujarinee Vivacharawongse)
  10. Prince Dipangkorn (King Vajiralongkorn's 7th child; of Srirasmi Suwadee)
  11. Princess Siribhachudabhorn (Princess Chulabhorn's 1st child)
  12. Princess Aditayadornkitikhun (Princess Chulabhorn's 2nd child)
  13. Khun Ploypailin Jensen (Princess Ubolratana's 1st child)
  14. Khun Sirikitiya Jensen (Princess Ubolratana's 2nd child)

In case if you might wanted to explore further, this is the genealogy of the royal family from King Mongkut (Rama IV) but the chart is not complete though. You will find many of them married each other within the family:
https://terrysamui.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/royalthaifamilytree.jpg

Well, the Daily Mail claimed she was still his wife and even walked in Procession of the funeral while his mistress attended, too, in military function....
As far as i knowit is not cinfrimed that he is married to her. And how is it in Thailand? Is the Title Queen automatic or does it have to bestowed like for example in Jordan?

Still not sure who's going to be the next Queen of Thailand, have to wait until the coronation taken place since there will (probably) be an installation ceremony of the Queen. However, Queen Sirikit will surely become Queen Mother of Thailand, the second one in our history after Queen Saovabha Phongsri whose sons are King Rama VI and King Rama VII.

Currently, there are two ladies that are known to Thai public:
  1. Suthida Vajiralongkorn na Ayudhya (née Tidjai)
  2. Sineenad Wongsevajirabhakdi (née Niramon Unprom)

These two ladies are distinguished persons but both serve as King Vajiralongkorn's royal guards. The lady seen in the procession was Khun Sineenad while Khun Suthida was frequently seen during the merit-making ceremony in Dusit Maha Prasat Hall (the lady in military uniform sitting in the front row of seats faced toward King Vajiralongkorn and the late king's urn).

For Khun Sujarinee Vivacharawongse (née Yuvadhida Polpraserth), she is currently living in the US with her sons (4 former princes). They got their titles ripped off and barred from entering Thailand ever again after an incident and divorce in 1996. Surely they couldn't be presented at the cremation ceremony eventhough how badly they wanted to.

For Khun Srirasmi Suwadee, she is living somewhere in Thailand (probably Ratchaburi Province, her hometown) but we haven't heard of her for couple of years now. She was anticipated to become the next Queen of Thailand and much loved by the public in later years as Princess Consort. Many people still miss the former princess and call her their next Queen in comment section of various Youtube videos about her.

Last edited:
Still not announced yet, but the government should release schedule and details about the ceremony soon.

Merit-making ritual and tranferring royal relics of King Bhumibol Adulyadej to be enshrined at Chakri Maha Prasat Throne Hall:

Royal cavalry procession transferring royal ashes of King Bhumibol Adulyadej to be enshrined at Wat Bowonniwet Vihara and Wat Ratchabophit:

This marks an end to five-day cremation ceremonies of the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand.

Last edited:
This family tree chart of King Bhumibol might helps you identify the princesses easier:
https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/7A2E/production/_92787213_thairoyalfamily.png

I'll list you living members of the Thai Royal Family and family of King Bhumibol ranked by royal titles:
  1. Queen Dowager Sirikit (King Rama X's mother, great-granddaughter of King Rama V)

2nd generation
  2. King Vajiralongkorn (Rama X; King Bhumibol's 2nd child)
  3. Princess Sirindhorn (Princess Royal; King Bhumibol's 3rd Child)
  4. Princess Chulabhorn (King Bhumibol's youngest child)
  5. Princess Ubolratana (King Bhumibol's eldest child; technically already lost her royal title but still retain the royal style)
  6. Princess Soamsawali (King Vajiralongkorn's 1st wife; Queen Sirikit's niece)
  7. Than Phu Ying Dhasanawalaya Sornsongkram (Princess Galyani's daughter; King Bhumibol's niece)

3rd generation
  8. Princess Bajrakitiyabha (King Vajiralongkorn's eldest child; of Princess Soamsawali)
  9. Princess Sirivannavari (King Vajiralongkorn's 6th child; of Sujarinee Vivacharawongse)
  10. Prince Dipangkorn (King Vajiralongkorn's 7th child; of Srirasmi Suwadee)
  11. Princess Siribhachudabhorn (Princess Chulabhorn's 1st child)
  12. Princess Aditayadornkitikhun (Princess Chulabhorn's 2nd child)
  13. Khun Ploypailin Jensen (Princess Ubolratana's 1st child)
  14. Khun Sirikitiya Jensen (Princess Ubolratana's 2nd child)

In case if you might wanted to explore further, this is the genealogy of the royal family from King Mongkut (Rama IV) but the chart is not complete though. You will find many of them married each other within the family:
https://terrysamui.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/royalthaifamilytree.jpg

Still not sure who's going to be the next Queen of Thailand, have to wait until the coronation taken place since there will (probably) be an installation ceremony of the Queen. However, Queen Sirikit will surely become Queen Mother of Thailand, the second one in our history after Queen Saovabha Phongsri whose sons are King Rama VI and King Rama VII.

Currently, there are two ladies that are known to Thai public:
  1. Suthida Vajiralongkorn na Ayudhya (née Tidjai)
  2. Sineenad Wongsevajirabhakdi (née Niramon Unprom)

These two ladies are distinguished persons but both serve as King Vajiralongkorn's royal guards. The lady seen in the procession was Khun Sineenad while Khun Suthida was frequently seen during the merit-making ceremony in Dusit Maha Prasat Hall (the lady in military uniform sitting in the front row of seats faced toward King Vajiralongkorn and the late king's urn).

For Khun Sujarinee Vivacharawongse (née Yuvadhida Polpraserth), she is currently living in the US with her sons (4 former princes). They got their titles ripped off and barred from entering Thailand ever again after an incident and divorce in 1996. Surely they couldn't be presented at the cremation ceremony eventhough how badly they wanted to.

For Khun Srirasmi Suwadee, she is living somewhere in Thailand (probably Ratchaburi Province, her hometown) but we haven't heard of her for couple of years now. She was anticipated to become the next Queen of Thailand and much loved by the public in later years as Princess Consort. Many people still miss the former princess and call her their next Queen in comment section of various Youtube videos about her.

Very interesting. Many thanks.

Back
Top Bottom