Princess Aiko Current Events: July 2005 - June 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Japan's Princess Aiko , accompanied by her parents Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako, arrives at the Gakushuin Kindergarten to attend the entrance ceremony in Tokyo 11 April 2006.

Below from Profimedia

#1-4: Polfoto
#5: Yomiuri news
#6-7: Profimedia

Attachments

• AP736603.jpg
    AP736603.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 333
  • AP736612.jpg
    AP736612.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 348
  • AP736613.jpg
    AP736613.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 4,459
  • AP736621.jpg
    AP736621.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 472
  • MM20060411110003354L0.jpg
    MM20060411110003354L0.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 394
  • NWS-947105.jpg
    NWS-947105.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 372
  • NWS-947121.jpg
    NWS-947121.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 6,498
Last edited:
masako look great, very happy!

Japan's Princess Aiko, 4, starts kindergarten
TOKYO (Reuters) - Clutching her mother's hand and smiling briefly at TV cameras, Japan's 4-year-old Princess Aiko -- the only child of the direct heir to the throne -- started her first day of kindergarten on Tuesday.

Aiko, wearing a uniform with a pleated blue skirt, matching jacket and hat with a downturned brim, arrived at the elite Gakushuin Kindergarten in Tokyo with her parents, Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako. Shortly before going into the school to join about 50 children for an entrance ceremony, Aiko dropped her father's hand and latched on to her mother........................
http://go.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml?type=worldNews&storyID=1175292&section=news&src=rss/uk/worldNews

Princess Aiko enters kindergarten in Tokyo
.............The young princess is set to spend two years at Gakushuin Kindergarten in Tokyo's Mejiro district.
Princess Aiko arrived at the kindergarten at about 9:45 a.m. on Tuesday, holding the hands of her parents. She was dressed in a navy-blue uniform, and held a bag decorated with a dog pattern. At times she was seen smiling, tugging at Crown Princess Masako's hand....................
http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/national/news/20060411p2a00m0na009000c.html

Handmade bag in hand, Japanese princess starts kindergarten
Aiko clutched a handmade bag in accordance with the rules of her new school, the prestigious Gakushuin Kindergarten, which her father also attended. The bag was embroidered with two dogs and trees............
Her mother Masako.........Dressed in a pearly white suit, she smiled and waved.................The appointment of the former diplomat with ties to Masako's family has spawned speculation that it would now become easier for her to make overseas visits. In the past Masako has indicated a desire to play a diplomatic role for Japan.
Masako made a rare public complaint about royal life in 2002, saying "the fact that it was rather difficult to make visits to abroad was something that required a great effort on my part to adapt to."
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/11042006/323/handmade-bag-hand-japanese-princess-starts-kindergarten.html

Japanese princess starts school
...........Princess Aiko attended the ceremony with her parents and 50 of her future classmates, and later met her teachers, Japan's Kyodo news agency reported...............
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4898474.stm

More photos
#1: ANN news
#2: FNN news

Attachments

• 20060411-00000013-ann-soci-thumb-000.jpg
    20060411-00000013-ann-soci-thumb-000.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 354
  • 20060411-00000166-fnn-soci-thumb-000.jpg
    20060411-00000166-fnn-soci-thumb-000.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 285
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm very delighted with my favorite young royal starting school. Thanks for all the pics and links. :)

Does anyone know if Aiko's class is divided into boys and girls? It was mentioned in an article that they were separated into two groups. Segragating students seems to be normal under the Japanese educational system, am I correct?

monica17 said:
I'm very delighted with my favorite young royal starting school. Thanks for all the pics and links. :)

Does anyone know if Aiko's class is divided into boys and girls? It was mentioned in an article that they were separated into two groups. Segragating students seems to be normal under the Japanese educational system, am I correct?
There are 52 students being admitted to the Gakushuin Kindergarten this term/school year with 26 boys and 26 girls (including Princess Aiko). I think they have divided the groups with boys and girls mix together.
Students being admitted this term were born from April 2, 2001 to April 1, 2002.

Last edited:
Mainichi news have put up a gallery of Princess Aiko's photos from childhood in celebrating her entrance to Gakushuin Kindergarten.
here are the photos from Manichi news

#1-4: Leaving the hospital on Dec. 8 2001, a week after her birth and the day before Mommy's 38th birthday
#5: March of 2002 preparing to leave Togu Palace for some religious ceremony
#6: visit to a farm
#7-9: vacation in Aug. of 2002.
#10: one of her 1st drawings (Aiko drew this one with mommy, here you can see that it's a drawing of a dog)

Last edited:
More photos from Mainichi news' gallery
#1: Summer vacation in May of 2003
#2: Short break in Sept of 2004
#3: May of 2005

photo 2 in post 123 is the cutest thing i've ever seen. PA is just precious in the hat and that big bag. thanks so much for the photos,they are such a beautiful happy family. (hint hint for the picture of the month poll).
I think its wonderful she's going to school and having a "normal" childhood instead of being locked in a palace and watched over by the evil IHA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aiko looks absolutely precious with her little pleated skirt. I wish her the best of luck starting kindergarten and hope she has a lot of fun! I wish I were back in kindergarten....:rolleyes:

Princess Aiko starts kindergarten in Tokyo
.....................The princess attended an entrance ceremony during which her name was called by the director. The princess responded saying, "Yes," and stood up, according to the Imperial Household Agency.
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/national/20060412TDY02004.htm

Queen of kids joins Japan's kindergarten masses
...........Four-year-old Princess Aiko's day went like this: arrive 9.30am, change into casual clothes, wash hands, gargle, go outside and play, stop to eat the lunch that Mum has packed, get back into the blue suit, go home at 1.30pm, according to the timetable posted on the Gakushuin Kindergarten website............Looking like a miniature adult in her dark uniform and long socks, she was carrying a book bag and a little satchel for her lunch which, presumably, also held a glass for gargling...........
http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/queen-of-kids-joins-japans-kindergarten-masses/2006/04/11/1144521337896.htmlhttp://www.smh.com.au/news/world/not-even-a-princess-can-upset-routine/2006/04/11/1144521339284.html

Below photo from smh.com.au

Last edited:
Maybe I miss it, but who are these ladies behind of Naruhito, Masako and Aiko?

thanks by the photos, Aiko this very beautiful one with the uniform of the school :) :)

Thank you everyone for all the pictures! :) Aiko looks so precious yet so grown up at the same time in her school uniform. Love the hat! Masako and Naruhito seem so proud of her, too!

mandyy said:
Toshinomiya Aiko

What does "Toshinomiya" mean?

Alexandria said:
Thank you everyone for all the pictures! :) Aiko looks so precious yet so grown up at the same time in her school uniform. Love the hat! Masako and Naruhito seem so proud of her, too!

What does "Toshinomiya" mean?

Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong...... Toshi is her royal name, it means "a person who respects others" while nomiya probably denotes a prince/princess (not sure)....I seem to encounter this phrase among the Imperial Family (i.e. Prince Akishino is Akishino no miya Fuhimito).

Thanks, mandy, for the clarification on Aiko's class and for all the other pics just posted. :) I guess girl-boy segregation happens when they're older students there.

Last edited:
Meaning of Toshi in "Toshinomiya" - Quoted from the Crown Prince Birthday Press Conference in 2002 (just after Aiko' birth):

In selecting a name for our child, we received several candidates from experts in the study of Chinese characters and Japanese classic literature. Since children do not choose their own names, and since a name accompanies its bearer for life, my wife and I carefully selected from among those candidates. In making the selection, bearing in mind the traditions of the Imperial Family, we sought characters whose meanings and pronunciations had a good sound to them and a name that would be easy to be familiar with. I am deeply grateful to Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress who left the real decision to us saying that we should think it over. Among the candidates, it seemed that the words of Mencius were especially good in terms of their content. In addition, we thought it good that the two Chinese characters meaning "respect" (toshi) and "love" (ai) were used. As has always been the case, and even more so in the world of today where relations between people tend to be weak, I think that it is most important to respect people and to love people. And so, in choosing a name for our child, we wanted that name to encompass our desire for our child to grow up to be "a person who respects others and will be respected by others, and a person who loves others and will be loved by others," in line with Mencius' words.

great photos! Aiko is a lovely little princess!

Thank you monica and wlee for trying to explain the meaning of "Toshinomiya" to me. :) I am still a bit confused -- is Toshinomiya Aiko's first name then? Sort of like Catharina-Amalia but she is commonly called Amalia, so Aiko is officially Toshinomiya Aiko but is called Aiko commonly?

Time flies, doesn't it? She's already starting school! Wow...

Anyway, in some of those pictures, she looks like a carbon copy of her father!

Alexandria said:
Thank you monica and wlee for trying to explain the meaning of "Toshinomiya" to me. :) I am still a bit confused -- is Toshinomiya Aiko's first name then? Sort of like Catharina-Amalia but she is commonly called Amalia, so Aiko is officially Toshinomiya Aiko but is called Aiko commonly?

No problem! :) I think Toshi no miya is her royal title, it means Princess Toshi. But she is commonly referred to as Princess Aiko, because that was the name given by her parents during her naming ceremony. The royal title Princess Toshi will be dropped if she marries a commoner per current imperial rules (if and when, she will assume Aiko as her first name then affix her husband's surname). She is officially called Toshi no miya Aiko naishinnō denka. "Naishinnō" here refers to an Imperial Princess descended from the current Emperor on the male line - to distinguish her from other imperial princesses not directly descended from the current emperor. Not sure what "denka" means.

The Imperial Family has this tradition of having two names. One is given during the naming ceremony and the other a royal title ( _____ no miya). For example, Aiko's aunt, the former Princess Sayako, had two names: Nori no miya (Princess Nori) is her royal title and the other is Princess Sayako before she turned commoner. Now she is just referred to as Mrs. Sayako Kuroda.

Last edited:
Alexandria said:
Well, Toshinomiya is The Parsonal Title for Young Members of the Imperial Family (Been conferred in accordance with the Imperial Family's tradition of appellation):Princess Toshi(Toshi-no-Miya) (from Kunaicho website)

These names are usually given to children of a crown prince and crown princess and sort of act as their last names in comparison with other Japanese people.
For example Prince Akishino receives the Parsonal title Aya no miya and with the name of Fumihito (just like his brother Naruhito) when he was born. When he got married and establish his own family, the Emperor granted him the family branch name of Akishino no miya. Prince Akishino's daughters didn't receive this parsonal title as Aiko did because they already belong to the family branch of Akishino no miya, therefore their full name would be Akishino no miya Mako and Akishino no miya Kako.
At school Toshi no miya would sort of act as her last name with Aiko as her first name. With Japanese tradition last names are placed first before their first name so Princess Aiko would be called Toshinomiya Aiko.

Toshi no miya are more formal honourific names. From previous video of Aiko, staff at the Togu Palace calls Aiko as "miya sama". Sama is also an honourific term and is usually use in headings of letters, formal occasions and when calling Imperial family members as I have always heard of. When Japanese people call out for Aiko, they usually yell out "Aiko sama" or "Masako sama" referring to Princess Masako.

Last edited:
Denka means His/Her Imperial Highness
Heika means His/Her Imperial Majesty

Thanks, Mandy, for explaining it further. :) These names are sooo long, they're confusing!
Now I know what "denka" means.

magnik said:
Maybe I miss it, but who are these ladies behind of Naruhito, Masako and Aiko?
I think those ladies are staff of the Togu Palace
the one behind them who are mostly in the photos are one of the people taking care of Aiko (I think). I have seen her a few times with Aiko and Masako (She sat with them in the same car entering Imperial Palace during new years, took care of Aiko during the skiing trip when Masako and Naruhito went skiing by themselves and were around the family during the vacation holding a video camera in which I guess to take some good video of Aiko)

I think she'll be picking up Aiko to and from Gakushuin Kindergarten
You can see this lady behind them in this photo below
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=237574&d=1144731213

mandyy said:
the one behind them who are mostly in the photos are one of the people taking care of Aiko (I think). I have seen her a few times with Aiko and Masako (She sat with them in the same car entering Imperial Palace during new years, took care of Aiko during the skiing trip when Masako and Naruhito went skiing by themselves and were around the family during the vacation holding a video camera in which I guess to take some good video of Aiko)

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=237574&d=1144731213

Thanks for those wonderful explainations!!

monica17 said:
No problem! :) I think Toshi no miya is her royal title, it means Princess Toshi. But she is commonly referred to as Princess Aiko, because that was the name given by her parents during her naming ceremony. The royal title Princess Toshi will be dropped if she marries a commoner per current imperial rules (if and when, she will assume Aiko as her first name then affix her husband's surname). She is officially called Toshi no miya Aiko naishinnō denka. "Naishinnō" here refers to an Imperial Princess descended from the current Emperor on the male line - to distinguish her from other imperial princesses not directly descended from the current emperor. Not sure what "denka" means.

The Imperial Family has this tradition of having two names. One is given during the naming ceremony and the other a royal title ( _____ no miya). For example, Aiko's aunt, the former Princess Sayako, had two names: Nori no miya (Princess Nori) is her royal title and the other is Princess Sayako before she turned commoner. Now she is just referred to as Mrs. Sayako Kuroda.

Wow! Very informative -- I'm glad you took time to explain! Wonderful!!:)

mandyy said:

Thank you Mandyy:)

I am so gald to see Princess Aiko with both of her parents on the first day of kindergarten. I never thought I would once again see Princess Masako happy, but as of late I have seen a new and improved princess. I am truly happy for them.

According to the traditions of Gakushuin kindergarten, mothers are responsible for doing some sort of embroidery on their children's book bag. By keeping with the tradition Princess Masako embroidered Aiko's book bag with two dogs (their pets) and trees.
Below is the pic of Aiko's book bag
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=237569&d=1144727183

Princess Kiko have also done some embroidery on her children Mako and Kako's book bag when they entered kindergarten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom