Princess Aiko News and Current Events Part 3: April 2008 - December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HIH the Princess Toshi-no-miya Aiko at annual New Year photosession

**Pic 1** **Pic 2**

Princess Aiko playing the cello and Crown Prince Naruhito playing viola in the orchestra
during the Gakushuin School Corporation's concert in Tokyo, on April 15, 2012:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** daylife gallery **

Last edited:
:previous:
So nice to see father and daughter sharing similar interests.
I didn't even know Crown Prince Naruhito and Princess Aiko play respectively viola and cello.

Thank you for the pics, Iceflower! The crown prince must be so very proud of his daughter. :wub: :)
Here is another pic of Aiko.

The prince has been pictured in the past very often, playing at a concert of the Gakushuin orchestra (here for example). It is a musical family. The emperor plays cello, the empress piano and harp and the crown prince violin and viola. On this page you can find a photo of a family concert, with Emperor Akihito playing the cello, Empress Michiko playing the piano, and Prince Naruhito playing the violin. (scroll down)
The Empress loves music. She plays the piano, and is a good accompanist to the Emperor who plays the cello and to Crown Prince Naruhito who plays the viola and violin. She is occasionally heard practising on the piano when she finds time in her busy life, and she enjoys playing in a small chamber ensemble with her musician friends. The Empress also gives encouragement and support to Gagaku, classical court music and dance, often attending its performances by court musicians/dancers or descendants of former aristocrats.
Here is a pic of the empress at the piano, laughing with her daughter Sayako.
[FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT, serif]
[/FONT]

A new Belgian Azalea has been named after Princess Aiko. :flowers:

The Aiko, which comes in red, pink and white, is unique because of its full bloom, like a rose, and its longer blooming period: six weeks instead of four. (Source in French, Google translation)

The prince has been pictured in the past very often, playing at a concert of the Gakushuin orchestra (here for example). It is a musical family. The emperor plays cello, the empress piano and harp and the crown prince violin and viola. On this page you can find a photo of a family concert, with Emperor Akihito playing the cello, Empress Michiko playing the piano, and Prince Naruhito playing the violin. (scroll down)
Here is a pic of the empress at the piano, laughing with her daughter Sayako.

Just for the sake of completeness,I would like to add that Crown Princess Masako used to play the flute (as she has stated in a 1999 press conference:"I practice my flute playing, although with my recent busy autumn schedule I have had to miss my flute lessons.") and Prince Akishino had learned to play the guitar even though he admitted he doesn´t practice a lot.

I am happy to see Princess Aiko is enjoying music and hope that she continues to play cello!

Here are some more pictures of the Azalee named after her:AIKO®

Accordin to Asahi Shinbun 25 May, Aiko is learning English and she is very interested in this subject.

Thank you very much for the information! :flowers:
Whatever Aiko´s position in later life will be, it will certainly help if she speaks English well. Maybe she will tread in the footsteps of her parents at some point in the future and attend the University of Oxford. :)

Little Aiko is such a darling, and so are her parents. I have high hopes for her, so I thoroughly approve of a strong education for her. Her parents seem so darling, too, and have gone through a great deal.

I think to some, she will always be an "Empress." She will be to me. :flowers:

In this blog that is dedicated “to the beautiful family of the crown prince of Japan“, there is a picture of Aiko running away from paparazzi and her bodyguards trying to catch up with her.

11 already! Time goes by so fast!

The birthday pics were taken on November 18, 2012 and released on her birthday today, December 1, 2012:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** gallery **

Aiko looks like her mother, imo.

More birthday pics: 1 ** 2 ** 3

Video stills

Video

æ„›å*ã•ã¾ãŒ11æ*³ã«ã€€ãƒã‚¹ã‚±ãƒƒãƒˆãƒœãƒ¼ãƒ«éƒ¨ã§æœç·´ç¿’も(12/12/01) - YouTube

皇太å*ã”夫妻の長女・愛å*ã•ã¾ã€11æ*³ã®ãŠèª•ç”Ÿæ—¥(12/12/01) - YouTube

Princess Aiko, daughter of Crown Prince Naruhito, turns 11

Princess Aiko, the only child of Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako, turned 11 on Saturday. The princess, who is now a fifth-grader at Gakushuin Primary School in Tokyo, joined the basketball club as part of her school classes this spring and played in games against other schools, while working hard on English, according to the Imperial Household Agency.

As she had been absent from school after expressing anxiety about going to school in February 2010, the crown princess had accompanied her to school since April that year. The princess has been going to school alone since last December. [...]

When Emperor Akihito underwent heart surgery in February, Princess Aiko sent flowers picked at the residence and a letter to the emperor, according to the agency.
December 01, 2012 (Mainichi Japan)

Princess Aiko enjoys school life as she turns 11

Aiko, who is in the fifth grade at Gakushuin Primary School, enjoys an active school life. She belongs to the basketball club and played in a game against another school on Nov. 23, the Imperial Household Agency said. She is also a member of the school orchestra where she plays the cello. She participates in the orchestra's and basketball club's practice sessions in the morning and after school, the agency said. [...]

In the first semester this year, Aiko served on the environment beautification committee, and in the second semester she served on the health committee. She also attends an English seminar, which is provided as an extracurricular class. [...]

She tries hard to save electricity and water, taking such steps as not using extra electricity to heat or cool the room, the agency said.
THE ASAHI SHIMBUN December 01, 2012

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there many girls in Japan who dress like Princess Aiko does? Or is this a type of "court" dressing? I suppose there's no way of knowing how she dresses when the cameras aren't around.;)

:previous:
As noted by some TRF members from Japan, all Japanese Princesses (Princess Mako, Princess Kako and Princess Aiko) usually wear more modern clothes in an informal setting. The formal clothing is a must for any official photo such as this one.
Princess Aiko is a lovely young lady. She seems to adjust to her school routine.

Last edited:
IMPERIAL FAMILY WATCH: Princess Aiko just a girl like any other
December 06, 2013
Princess Aiko, the only daughter of Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako, is often portrayed in the media as an unsmiling young girl who shows little emotion. But actually, she is just like any child of her age--often uncertain about how to react in front of a large group of strangers. That is probably how the 12-year-old views the throng of reporters and photographers who cover the imperial family.

A recent example of the many emotions that Aiko is capable of displaying came on Oct. 12 during a school athletic meet at Gakushuin Primary School, located in Tokyo's Shinjuku Ward. [...]

Because of her height and slender legs, Aiko was not difficult to pick out of the crowd of 120 sixth-graders.
The first form created was the "cactus," in which one student stands on the knees of another while being supported by the student below. Aiko had a serious expression as she put strength into her arms to hold up her partner. [...]

The last form for the sixth-graders was creating a large pyramid. The students had practiced that form since the first term. Aiko was not only at the bottom layer of the seven-layered pyramid, she was also dead center of the structure. Aiko was on her hands and knees on the ground as her classmates created the pyramid on top of her. The pyramid was completed when the last student climbed to the top and stood up with both hands raised. [...]

In April, a concert was staged at an auditorium in Tokyo's Mejiro district. Current and past students of the various Gakushuin schools took part. Aiko played the cello in the primary school orchestra. Her father, Naruhito, played the viola in the orchestra made up of Gakushuin alumni. The first joint music performance by father and daughter was widely reported in the media. Before the start of the performance, Aiko talked with friends. They laughed while pointing at something and Aiko seemed to scowl in a joking manner. However, when it came time for photographers to take photos, the smile vanished from Aiko's face. [...]

In September 2004, the Imperial Household Agency released a rare video of Aiko taken by Naruhito. It is highly unusual for imperial family members to release photos or videos of themselves in private, relaxing moments. Moreover, the video contained snippets of conversation and background noise that are not normally included in the images released every year to mark her birthday.

Imperial Household Agency officials said the video was released in response to speculative reports that had appeared in weekly magazines and the foreign media concerning Aiko's development. [There had been speculations about the little girl´s alleged "autism".] Masako was deeply distressed by the coverage. One former aide to the crown prince's household reflected back on that time, saying, "I believe that represented a 'scream' on the part of the couple wanting to show the true side of Aiko."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom