The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-30-2019, 07:28 PM
Heir Apparent

I know a lot of people in Japan try to change the Imperial law and enable a woman to become Empress.
I really Wonder, considering what we know of the restricted life an Emperor and an Empress live if Aiko and her parents really WISH for the law to be changed.

Old 11-30-2019, 07:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Countessmeout is correct. Princess Aiko will graduate from high school next March and start university in April.

Princess Aiko turns 18, enjoys last year in high school - The Mainichi
Quote:
[...]

The cello-loving princess, currently a third-year student at Gakushuin Girls' Senior High School in Tokyo, vigorously carried out school assignments and studied for exams -- sometimes getting advice from the imperial couple, according to the Imperial Household Agency.

The princess rejoiced in her class victory at an athletics meet in September, while spectators were excited when she performed dance at a school festival in November, the agency said.

However, the agency's Board of Chamberlains declined to comment on which university the princess is considering attending.

[...]
NHK reports Princess Aiko visited Gakushuin University in April where she visited a guide dog experience corner. She also visited the university museum where her father was involved as a visiting researcher and an exhibition about Imperial culture.

ETA: Princess Aiko turns 18 after watching rituals of her parents: The Asahi Shimbun
Quote:
Princess Aiko, the only child of Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako, turned 18 on Dec. 1 and is currently studying hard to prepare for her university education.

[...] the princess followed TV and newspaper coverage of all related events, including the Oct. 22 Sokuirei-Seiden-no-Gi ceremony in which Naruhito announced his enthronement to domestic and foreign audiences.

On Oct. 22, Aiko saw off her parents at the family’s Akasaka Imperial Residence as they headed to the Imperial Palace for the many rites held that day. She greeted them whenever they returned home.

The princess loves sports and often plays basketball after school and on holidays. She also takes care of the family’s dog and two cats.

[...]
Longer birthday video from Sankei:

Old 12-02-2019, 01:32 AM
Heir Apparent

On December 1st, Princess Aiko visited Emperor Emeritus Akihito and Empress Emerita Michiko at Fukiage Sento Imperial Palace for greetings on her 18th birthday. She arrived before 4pm and stayed about 30 minutes.

Photos: AP Images, Getty Images

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EKuIdVmUcAARJPh.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EKuIdVqUwAY0ED1.jpg
https://www.sponichi.co.jp/society/n...0000p_view.jpg
https://twitter.com/asahi_photo/stat...67909650370561
Old 12-03-2019, 08:45 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prisma View Post
On December 1st, Princess Aiko visited Emperor Emeritus Akihito and Empress Emerita Michiko at Fukiage Sento Imperial Palace for greetings on her 18th birthday. She arrived before 4pm and stayed about 30 minutes.

Photos: AP Images, Getty Images

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EKuIdVmUcAARJPh.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EKuIdVqUwAY0ED1.jpg
https://www.sponichi.co.jp/society/n...0000p_view.jpg
https://twitter.com/asahi_photo/stat...67909650370561
I hope she is happy as she is now.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Princess Aiko turns 18, enjoys last year in high school - The Mainichi

NHK reports Princess Aiko visited Gakushuin University in April where she visited a guide dog experience corner. She also visited the university museum where her father was involved as a visiting researcher and an exhibition about Imperial culture.

ETA: Princess Aiko turns 18 after watching rituals of her parents: The Asahi Shimbun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
It's interesting also that both Naruhito and Masako are making little comments or gestures in a way that is clearly set up to make them relatable: the Emperor showing a photo which he just happened to have in his pocket, and the Empress's comment about their dog also doing "volunteer" work. It would be fascinating to know more about the current internal structure of the IHA, and how some of these decisions are being made. There has clearly been a change in philosophy there.
That is an interesting insight, and I quote it here because the story about Aiko meeting a local girl and encouraging her to both do their best seems very much in the same tone.

The recent history of how the Imperial Family and the Imperial Household Agency have dealt with media coverage and disseminated information is something puzzling for me; on some occasions it has seemed expertly done while at times seeming amateurish (but perhaps that is my lack of expertise in Japanese culture).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominet09 View Post
I know a lot of people in Japan try to change the Imperial law and enable a woman to become Empress.
I really Wonder, considering what we know of the restricted life an Emperor and an Empress live if Aiko and her parents really WISH for the law to be changed.
Years ago there were apparently rumors (the article is somewhere on this forum) that then Crown Princess Masako preferred a future outside of the Imperial Family for her daughter. But even without the law being changed, I think there will be likely be some who will place pressure on her to postpone/avoid marriage to remain in the imperial family to provide support for Prince Hisahito, especially if her older cousins have left the family.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Princess Aiko 3: April 2008-

Princess Aiko will enter Gakushuin University in April, specifically the Faculty of Letters, Department of Japanese Language and Literature.

Princess Aiko passes exam to enter Gakushuin University, Emperor's alma mater
Quote:
The princess took tests to fulfill the requirements for entrance by recommendation in September 2019 and in January this year. She is now said to be engaged in putting together her graduation essay.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

On a shallow note, I like the fact that the royals' traditional closeness to Gakushuin is continuing.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post

On a shallow note, I like the fact that the royals' traditional closeness to Gakushuin is continuing.
Haha, me too.

If Aiko graduates from Gakushuin University, I think she'll be the first Imperial graduate since Princess Noriko of Takamado in 2010.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Haha, me too.

If Aiko graduates from Gakushuin University, I think she'll be the first Imperial graduate since Princess Noriko of Takamado in 2010.
Yes she will be. The Mikasa princesses did as well but before her. Princess Kako attended but switched to the International Christian university like her sister and University of Tokyo. A number of them have studied abroad including one at Camousen in Canada which my dad attended.

It will be interesting to watch her college years. The Japanese royals (and Thai as well) seem to put great importance on education. A lot of highly educated members. Even among those still representing the family.
Old 02-29-2020, 01:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Princess Kako didn't go to the University of Tokyo. I think you mean she graduated from ICU and studied abroad at the University of Leeds.

Japan's government asked all elementary, junior high and high schools to close from Monday March 2 through spring break until early April over coronavirus (COVID-19) concerns. Some schools already plan to scale down graduation and entrance ceremonies, limiting attendees and shortening program hours.

PM Abe asks all schools in Japan to temporarily close over coronavirus - Kyodo News

Gakushuin Girls' Junior and Senior High School's notice about the closure, grades, and graduation ceremony (Japanese PDF)
- Closed March 2-19. All year-end examinations, school events and club activities will be cancelled.
- Grades are based on a comprehensive assessment of grades for the first and second semesters and the status of normal learning in the third semester.
- March 21: closing ceremony via broadcast (?). graduation ceremony rehearsal in gymnasium for 3rd year students only.
- March 22: senior high graduation ceremony only. students and their guardians should wear masks. Thank you party is cancelled.
- Closed March 23 - April 6. All school events and club activities during this time will be cancelled.

Currently, Gakushuin University's Reiwa 2 (2020) entrance ceremony is scheduled for April 3
Old 03-22-2020, 03:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Princess Aiko graduated from Gakushuin Girls' Senior High School on March 22.

Although guardians were allowed to attend the scaled down ceremony due to coronavirus (COVID-19) concerns, Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako did not attend. Their Majesties released a statement. [fnn.jp]
- deeply moved on Aiko's graduation and her valuable experiences at school
- thankful for everyone at Gakushuin junior and senior high schools and especially the local police department
- hopes the coronavirus pandemic will end soon

Aiko's statement (google translation)

Gakushuin Girls' High School was blessed with many wonderful friends and had a very enjoyable and fulfilling school life. Learning various things in a blessed environment, laughing and talking with everyone, the athletic meet, the Yae Sakura Festival, the school festival, school excursions, and the Eton school summer school that touched on British culture, etc. I have many irreplaceable memories.

Today, the scale will be smaller than usual, but I am grateful that I was able to attend the high school graduation ceremony and set off on the day of my departure. At the same time, I feel lonely to say goodbye to the girls' department filled with many memories. I would like to thank all those who have been involved in school life, including the teachers who have been warmly guided over the past six years.

At Gakushuin University, where I will enter in April, I hope that I can take advantage of what I have learned so far from a broader perspective and work on various fields.

Last but not least, we hope that the spread of the new coronavirus that we are facing now will end as soon as possible.

Getty Images, AFPBB, Mainichi galleries

ETA: Princess Aiko graduates from high school | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News

ETA: The IHA reported Princess Aiko's graduation report focused on the relationship between people and cats and dogs in Heian literature. [Mainichi]

SankeiNews (no commentary)
Old 03-23-2020, 04:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Aiko’s high school graduation report was about "The Relationship between Cats and Dogs and People in Heian Literature." She wrote nearly twice as much as 30 sheets of 400-character manuscript paper, the school's standard. [Asahi]

Princess Aiko received a diploma in her classroom with her classmates after the graduation ceremony. [Sankei]

Gakushuin University cancelled the April 3 entrance ceremony over coronavirus concerns.

Tentative schedule for undergraduate / graduate students:
- Orientation: April 15 or later
- First semester start date: April 22 or later

Final decision will be announced about 2 weeks before the start date.

Sources: https://www.univ.gakushuin.ac.jp/news/2020/0309.html
https://www.univ.gakushuin.ac.jp/life/220201.html
Old 03-24-2020, 05:37 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

It's hard to believe that Aiko has graduated already! I'm surprised they held the ceremony given the current situation - is it not as bad in Japan anymore? I know it's obviously dying down in Wuhan now, since COVID-19 erupted earlier there than in Europe, and their lockdown has now come to an end.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 03-24-2020, 07:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
It's hard to believe that Aiko has graduated already! I'm surprised they held the ceremony given the current situation - is it not as bad in Japan anymore? I know it's obviously dying down in Wuhan now, since COVID-19 erupted earlier there than in Europe, and their lockdown has now come to an end.
I spoke with my japanese friend and he says that japanese society is running as normal even though they have some cases and people die (not like in Italy of course). That worries him. I think schools will reopen in April.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
As of March 24 PST (March 25 JST), Japan currently has 1,193 COVID-19 cases with +65 new infections and 43 total deaths. Fortunately, Japan's approach has been effective so far although experts say infections hasn't peaked yet and warn against growing complacent.

Japan has yet to hit peak in coronavirus infections: Kyodo study - Kyodo News

Experts warn Japanese growing complacent of virus risk : The Asahi Shimbun

Yes, many schools still held graduation ceremonies. Most were scaled down with restricted guests, shortened programs, less speeches, and sometimes asking all attendees to wear face masks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
I spoke with my japanese friend and he says that japanese society is running as normal even though they have some cases and people die (not like in Italy of course). That worries him. I think schools will reopen in April.
Yes, the education ministry issued guidelines on Tuesday, March 24 for reopening schools although some already reopened after 2 weeks of closure.

Guide to reduce virus risks issued for schools before reopening - Kyodo News
Old 03-25-2020, 05:38 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
Thanks kathia_sophia. I hope your friend is staying safe!

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 03-31-2020, 01:19 AM
Heir Apparent

On March 31st, Princess Aiko visited the Imperial Palace after 10am to report her graduation from Gakushuin Girls' Senior High School to the Three Palace Sanctuaries.

https://www.sankei.com/images/news/2...3310024-p1.jpg

https://twitter.com/tokyoshashinbu/s...22566285365248
Old 05-11-2020, 02:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Princess Aiko began Gakushuin University online classes on May 11. The campus is closed through May 31.

Source: Asahi
Old 05-25-2020, 03:01 AM
Heir Apparent

The IHA reports Princess Aiko continues online classes for Gakushuin University and foreign languages selected are English and Spanish.

Old 05-25-2020, 03:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
The IHA reports Princess Aiko continues online classes for Gakushuin University and foreign languages selected are English and Spanish.

Not surprising, two of the most widely spoken languages.

I'd be surprised if she didn't at some point study abroad in England or even Canada/US like many members of her family have. Her father studied at Oxford and mom at Harvard.

Tags
aiko, princess aiko, princess toshi