Princess Aiko News and Current Events Part 3: April 2008 - December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Princess Aiko graduated from Gakushuin Girls' Senior High School on March 22.

Although guardians were allowed to attend the scaled down ceremony due to coronavirus (COVID-19) concerns, Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako did not attend. Their Majesties released a statement. [fnn.jp]
- deeply moved on Aiko's graduation and her valuable experiences at school
- thankful for everyone at Gakushuin junior and senior high schools and especially the local police department
- hopes the coronavirus pandemic will end soon

Aiko's statement (google translation)

Gakushuin Girls' High School was blessed with many wonderful friends and had a very enjoyable and fulfilling school life. Learning various things in a blessed environment, laughing and talking with everyone, the athletic meet, the Yae Sakura Festival, the school festival, school excursions, and the Eton school summer school that touched on British culture, etc. I have many irreplaceable memories.

Today, the scale will be smaller than usual, but I am grateful that I was able to attend the high school graduation ceremony and set off on the day of my departure. At the same time, I feel lonely to say goodbye to the girls' department filled with many memories. I would like to thank all those who have been involved in school life, including the teachers who have been warmly guided over the past six years.

At Gakushuin University, where I will enter in April, I hope that I can take advantage of what I have learned so far from a broader perspective and work on various fields.

Last but not least, we hope that the spread of the new coronavirus that we are facing now will end as soon as possible.

Getty Images, AFPBB, Mainichi galleries

ETA: Princess Aiko graduates from high school | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News

ETA: The IHA reported Princess Aiko's graduation report focused on the relationship between people and cats and dogs in Heian literature. [Mainichi]
SankeiNews (no commentary)

Last edited:
Princess Aiko’s high school graduation report was about "The Relationship between Cats and Dogs and People in Heian Literature." She wrote nearly twice as much as 30 sheets of 400-character manuscript paper, the school's standard. [Asahi]

Princess Aiko received a diploma in her classroom with her classmates after the graduation ceremony. [Sankei]

Gakushuin University cancelled the April 3 entrance ceremony over coronavirus concerns.

Tentative schedule for undergraduate / graduate students:
- Orientation: April 15 or later
- First semester start date: April 22 or later

Final decision will be announced about 2 weeks before the start date.

Sources: https://www.univ.gakushuin.ac.jp/news/2020/0309.html
https://www.univ.gakushuin.ac.jp/life/220201.html

It's hard to believe that Aiko has graduated already! I'm surprised they held the ceremony given the current situation - is it not as bad in Japan anymore? I know it's obviously dying down in Wuhan now, since COVID-19 erupted earlier there than in Europe, and their lockdown has now come to an end.

It's hard to believe that Aiko has graduated already! I'm surprised they held the ceremony given the current situation - is it not as bad in Japan anymore? I know it's obviously dying down in Wuhan now, since COVID-19 erupted earlier there than in Europe, and their lockdown has now come to an end.
I spoke with my japanese friend and he says that japanese society is running as normal even though they have some cases and people die (not like in Italy of course). That worries him. I think schools will reopen in April.

As of March 24 PST (March 25 JST), Japan currently has 1,193 COVID-19 cases with +65 new infections and 43 total deaths. Fortunately, Japan's approach has been effective so far although experts say infections hasn't peaked yet and warn against growing complacent.

Japan has yet to hit peak in coronavirus infections: Kyodo study - Kyodo News

Experts warn Japanese growing complacent of virus risk : The Asahi Shimbun

Yes, many schools still held graduation ceremonies. Most were scaled down with restricted guests, shortened programs, less speeches, and sometimes asking all attendees to wear face masks.
I spoke with my japanese friend and he says that japanese society is running as normal even though they have some cases and people die (not like in Italy of course). That worries him. I think schools will reopen in April.
Yes, the education ministry issued guidelines on Tuesday, March 24 for reopening schools although some already reopened after 2 weeks of closure.

Guide to reduce virus risks issued for schools before reopening - Kyodo News

Last edited:

Thanks kathia_sophia. I hope your friend is staying safe!

Princess Aiko began Gakushuin University online classes on May 11. The campus is closed through May 31.

Source: Asahi

The IHA reports Princess Aiko continues online classes for Gakushuin University and foreign languages selected are English and Spanish.

The IHA reports Princess Aiko continues online classes for Gakushuin University and foreign languages selected are English and Spanish.

Not surprising, two of the most widely spoken languages.

I'd be surprised if she didn't at some point study abroad in England or even Canada/US like many members of her family have. Her father studied at Oxford and mom at Harvard.

On June 12th, the IHA released several photos of Princess Aiko's sericulture work at Akasaka Imperial residence. She has been breeding silkworms since elementary school.

Photos: Jiji, Mainichi, www.tokyo-np.co.jp

Last edited:
On July 10th, the Imperial Household Agency released more photos of Princess Aiko’s sericulture: cocoons and egg laying for next year’s sericulture.

Video: news24.jp

Based on the cocoon shape and colors, I think Aiko produced Hakken (white ovals, Japanese-Chinese crossbreed) and Ouken (golden ovals, European-Chinese crossbreed) varieties of silk.

Screenshots:
aiko_sericulture_nnn.jpg

aiko_cocoons.jpg

aiko_silkeggs.jpg

Last edited:
Princess Aiko 3: April 2008-

On October 24th, Princess Aiko visited Gakushuin University for the first time to receive guidance for new students. Classes continue to be held online. Princess Aiko met the press at Gakushuin Mejiro Campus before 2pm and commented "Although it is half a year late, I am delighted to actually visit the campus and meet the teachers and students. I sincerely hope that the spread of the new coronavirus will end and that everyone will be able to live and carry out their normal activities."

Princess Aiko also visited the former archives (North Annex) where Emperor Naruhito previously served as a visiting researcher. [Sankei]

Photos: Mainichi

Last edited:
:previous: Getty Images

Princess Aiko goes for first time to campus after pandemic : The Asahi Shimbun
Princess Aiko attended a guidance session for freshmen at Gakushuin University on Oct. 24, the first time she has gone to the campus after the coronavirus pandemic forced students there to take classes online.

[...]

“It came six months later, but I am delighted to meet with my classmates and teachers,” Aiko said. “I am determined to try many things at school while treasuring the excitement of learning new things.”

University officials said they will continue with online classes for the time being.

[...]

But the entrance ceremony in April was canceled due to the pandemic, and she has been taking online classes at her home in Akasaka Imperial Residence.

Princess Aiko celebrates her 19th birthday on December 1

Photos and video were taken on November 22 at Akasaka Estate.

Photos: Mainichi, Asahi

Princess Aiko turns 19, attends online univ. classes amid pandemic - Kyodo News
[...]

The princess, enrolled in Gakushuin University in Tokyo, has been taking part in virtual lectures since the start of the academic year in April. In October, she visited the school and met her professors and classmates face to face for the first time, according to the Imperial Household Agency.

"I cherish the joy of gaining knowledge and would like to participate in a lot of things in university," she told reporters at the time.

The princess, who is studying Japanese literature, has also been taking language courses in English and Spanish, as well as sports and health sciences, according to the agency.

At the school, where her father also studied, she joined a campus tour and attended a briefing session on future courses.

[...]

The princess takes care of her dog "Yuri" along with cats "Mii" and "Seven." She is also looking forward to visiting Ueno Zoological Gardens in Tokyo, where an elephant, sent to her by Thailand to celebrate her birth, had a baby in October, the agency said.

Due to the pandemic, she refrained from going out for a summer rest and on other occasions, instead taking walks with her parents at the Akasaka Estate.

In November, she watched on TV her uncle Crown Prince Fumihito be declared first in line to the throne in the "Rikkoshi no rei" ceremonies. It provided her with a chance to learn more about the imperial family's history and traditions, according to a close aide.

Through daily interactions with her grandparents, former Emperor Akihito and former Empress Michiko, the princess has been learning what is to be expected of her as she comes of age next year, the aide added.

[...]
Princess Aiko, Japan Emperor's Only Child, Turns 19 | Nippon.com
[...] The princess initially felt awkward attending online classes, but she appears to be getting used to a personal computer while gradually realizing that she became a university student, according to the agency.

Prior to her graduation from high school, Princess Aiko wrote an essay on cats and dogs in the Heian period in the eighth to 12th centuries, referring to Japanese classics including The Tale of Genji and The Pillow Book. The essay was nearly double the school-set standard of at least 30 sheets of 400-character manuscript paper.
Princess Aiko turns 19, hoping for a return to campus life : The Asahi Shimbun
[...] She has exchanged opinions with and received advice from her parents in preparation for and reviews for her classes, the agency said.

Throughout the ceremonies and rituals related to her father’s ascension to the Chrysanthemum Throne, Aiko has learned deeply about the imperial family’s history and tradition.

Aiko, by observing her parents up close, has deepened her thinking about the duties of an adult imperial family member, according to the agency.

In times of leisure and on weekends, Aiko spends time with her parents, often enjoying going for a walk together.

She sometimes plays badminton and volleyball outdoors with the agency employees, while taking anti-infection measures, the agency said.

Last edited:
Thank you for that. She looks lovely and Yuri is definitely a cutie. The gardens at the Palace look gorgeous at this time of year as well, so many beautiful colours.

It will definitely be interesting to see what she does in the future.

I like the ones where she is 'kneeling' next to her dog best.

She really looks like her mother ! By the way happy 19th birthday on the 1st of December

The video is lovely. Yuri and Aiko is a cute combo, they grew up with each other (I still remember the photo of little Aiko holding little Yuri in her arms). So besides the brown white tabby (I think it's Seven?) she has another cat? They'd better to include the cats for her 20th birthday:D

Her essay on cats and dogs in Heian period sounds interesting, that's definitely a fun topic.

I can't believe Aiko is 19 already! The photos of her were lovely - I particularly liked the one of her with the family dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom