The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-26-2016, 03:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Aiko's health is in the NY Times...
Japan Princess Misses School for a Month for Health Reasons - The New York Times

Old 10-26-2016, 06:36 AM
Serene Highness

Poor girl. So much focus on her.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:13 AM
Majesty

Yes, I agree. We saw her frequently over the summer with their parents. I find it rather sad that the article refers to people calling her "the princess who rarely smiles." Perhaps that whole family circle is in upheaval due to the Emperor's desire to abdicate.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:52 PM
Courtier

The cynic in me is thinking the IHA goes out of its way to show that Princess Aiko is so "weak" that any consideration of allowing females - and Aiko in particular - to possibly reign someday is unthinkable. Cynical me is thinking they nearly destroyed Masako because she only bore one daughter and now they must ensure that that daughter is a non-entity.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Many articles for the Princess Aiko's health! which is a shame but inevitably compare her with her mother

Japanese emperor's granddaughter Princess Aiko has been sick with 'exam stress' | Daily Mail Online

Japan princess misses school for a month for health reasons | Daily Mail Online

Princess Aiko of Japan, 14, misses school due to 'exam stress'
Old 10-27-2016, 01:57 AM
Heir Apparent

yeah... this was expected after the first English article came out and will probably get worse.

Media attention will only complicate Aiko's situation. I don't believe it's truancy because why would anyone want this kind of negative press? The IHA doctors examined her and she's following their instructions. Not sure where NY Times picked up the "rarely smiles" line, that's not true.

I find the dizziness symptom most troubling. My coworker had dizziness for 3 days and then it just disappeared. Another friend of mine woke up with vertigo one morning and had it for about month.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
The cynic in me is thinking the IHA goes out of its way to show that Princess Aiko is so "weak" that any consideration of allowing females - and Aiko in particular - to possibly reign someday is unthinkable. Cynical me is thinking they nearly destroyed Masako because she only bore one daughter and now they must ensure that that daughter is a non-entity.

Still, an entire month's absence seems quite serious.

The IHA couldn't invent that; something must be wrong.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Poor young girl, I wish she will recover very soon
Old 10-27-2016, 05:35 PM
Majesty

Yes, I agree. Dizziness, weakness, and gastro-intestinal problems are serious indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Still, an entire month's absence seems quite serious.

The IHA couldn't invent that; something must be wrong.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:35 PM
Majesty

I wish Princess Aiko speedy recovery.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Asahi reporter Yasuhiko Shima tweeted Princess Aiko seems to have resumed school.
https://twitter.com/shimaykkkt/statu...62136643719168

ETA: Confirmed, IHA announced she resumed school on November 8th. [Asahi]
Old 11-08-2016, 06:40 PM
Majesty

Good news!
Old 11-18-2016, 04:27 AM
Heir Apparent

An op-ed piece by Hiroyuki Shinoda at Japanese Yahoo News questions the IHA and media. Princess Aiko's absence was one of the topics.
- IHA could have avoided detailed explanation as her absence was not widely reported at first.
- Instead the IHA's regular updates led to speculation and coverage rarely seen so far. The October 20th issue of "Shukan Bunshun" even had a story on Princess Aiko written as if the pediatrician knew her.
- Mr. Shinoda writes (google translation) "There is no need to publish every time because it is private information." and "Problem of how to think about the distinction of the royal family of privacy and public information also remains ambiguous."

Other topics mentioned the stir caused by "Weekly Women" Nov. 1st issue publishing a photo of Princess Mako on a "date"; the early replacement of IHA Grand Steward Noriyuki Kazaoka as "punishment" for not stopping the Emperor's abdication wish; and why the IHA denied Prince Akishino leaked abdication news to NHK. Rather than ending speculation about Prince Akishino, the IHA's denial seems to have spread the story as likely.

This pro-Crown Prince family Japanese blog complains of stalking. Both NHK and Asahi reported Princess Aiko's return before the IHA announcement. NHK waited outside the CP palace and got video of her car leaving/returning. The media continues to follow her being driven to/from school.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Photos and video for Princess Aiko's 15th birthday.

Mainichi, Asahi photos

Mainichi, NHK videos

Oh my. She lost a lot of weight... I hope she gets better.

ETA:
Old 11-30-2016, 04:31 PM
Majesty

Such a beautiful girl!
Old 11-30-2016, 04:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

She is quite thin, poor thing. No more puppy fat.

Lovely kitty on her lap, too!

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 11-30-2016, 06:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Beautiful and a real teenager now.... the cat is lovely too !
Old 11-30-2016, 07:23 PM
Majesty

Princess Aiko turns 15, studies more about official duties | The Japan Times
Old 12-01-2016, 01:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Princess Aiko turns 15, learns more about official duties - The Mainichi
Quote:
...she has become thinner. However, the weight loss is no cause for alarm, according to a chamberlain for Naruhito’s family.

“She has no problems for us to worry about,” the chamberlain said.

Aiko returned to junior high school after being absent from Sept. 26 to Nov. 7.

The princess had complained of stomach problems and dizziness after the end of the summer vacation, which was attributed to fatigue from studying for exams and practicing for a school athletic event.
Back at school and in full health, Princess Aiko turns 15 : The Asahi Shimbun

Sankei reports Princess Aiko went jogging with her father and played tennis with her mother before her physical condition became poor. The cat named "Seven" came from an animal hospital. (animal shelter?)
Old 12-01-2016, 12:46 PM
Heir Apparent

On December 1st, Princess Aiko visited Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko for the customary birthday greeting.

Photos: Asahi

Tags
aiko, princess aiko, princess toshi