Empress Masako Current Events Part 1: May 2019 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Empress Masako canceled sericulture work on June 8 due to discomfort around her waist. The first cocoon harvest "Hatsu-mayukaki" was scheduled and the activity requires bending down. No medical treatment is needed. The event will be rescheduled depending on the Empress' health and the silkworms growth.

She postponed sericulture work from May 31 to June 1 due to poor physical condition.

Sources: FNN, TBS

On June 11th, Empress Masako attended the first cocoon harvest "Hatsu-mayukaki" at Momijiyama Imperial Cocoonery in the Imperial Palace. This year's sericulture is growing 30,000 "Koishimaru" silkworms.

Sankei reports Masako is happy the silkmoths are growing well despite recent high humidity and temperature fluctuations causing difficulties.

Photos: Asahi

Last edited:
On July 12th, Empress Masako attended "Goyosan Osame no Gi," a ceremony marking the end of this year's sericulture, at Momijiyama Imperial Cocoonery. She worshipped and offered the raw silk at the shrine.

The IHA reported she is deeply moved and expressed gratitude to the people involved for successfully completing the Imperial tradition. The agency also released photos of 3 of the 4 silk varieties produced (the green tensan is missing).

Emperor Naruhito and Princess Aiko helped silkworm feeding, moving to spinning frames, cocoon harvesting, fluff removal, and cocoon cutting.

Photos: Asahi, Sankei

On July 14th, the IHA released 5 photos taken in May and June of Emperor Naruhito, Empress Masako, and Princess Aiko working on sericulture.

Asahi gallery

Last edited:
Empress Masako visited Meiji Jingu shrine in Tokyo on July 21 ahead of the 110th anniversary of the passing of Emperor Meiji on July 30:

** gettyimages gallery **

Empress Masako canceled sericulture work on June 8 due to discomfort around her waist. The first cocoon harvest "Hatsu-mayukaki" was scheduled and the activity requires bending down. No medical treatment is needed. The event will be rescheduled depending on the Empress' health and the silkworms growth.

She postponed sericulture work from May 31 to June 1 due to poor physical condition.

Sources: FNN, TBS

I wonder if the "poor physical condition" was related to her stress-induced illness. I recall that one of the recent(?) annual medical updates reiterated that her illness also induced physical complications and fatigue.

:previous: I agree. That the IHA differentiates between "waist discomfort" and "poor physical condition" is telling.

Cross posting here as it's specific to Empress Masako (even though Emperor Naruhito appears in photos, video). Thanks MarieAmelie_95

Birthday content is usually embargoed until midnight JST.
Birthday photos and video were taken on December 5 at the Imperial residence. Their Majesties discuss materials of events such as the national cultural festival's official guidebook, Okinawa exhibition catalog, and a Shisa pottery figurine.

more galleries: Asahi, Nikkansports, AFPBB

IHA's full 59th birthday statement and celebration agenda
- pandemic, domestic and international crisis
- death of Queen Elizabeth II
- 50th anniversary of Okinawa's reversion to Japan
- happy to resume regional visits. 3 of 4 annual major events for the emperor and empress were in-person this year
- concern for inflation, people's difficulties, and children impacted by ~3 years of pandemic restrictions
- Japan's progress at the World Cup
- reflection on half her life as an Imperial family member (she was ~29.5 years old at marriage. she is deeply moved)
- prays for happiness of people
- resolve to fulfill duties to the best of her abilities
- gratitude for support and understanding

The medical statement is basically the same as previous years.
- remains on road to recovery
- physical condition continues to fluctuate such as fatigue after a major event or series of events
- expanding private activities, even amid pandemic restrictions, is important
- highlights for past year: 22 appearances (including online), 4 regional online visits, 3 regional visits since October: Tochigi, Okinawa and Hyogo
- Japanese Red Cross Convention, Florence Nightingale medal ceremonies
- this year's sericulture increased, breeding all 4 varieties

Birthday greetings agenda:
11:10a - IHA grand steward, deputy director of IHA, chief of Imperial Police HQ, etc. (representative)
11:20 - same as above?
11:40 - members of government: Prime Minister, House of Representatives, House of Councillors, Chief Justice, etc. and their spouses
11:50 - Crown Prince Akishino and Crown Princess Kiko
Noon - representatives of former Imperial family and relatives
Afternoon - visit Emeritus couple, greetings from Emperor's household staff and former aides

Japan's Empress Masako turns 59, reflects on half a lifetime as royal - Kyodo News
[...]

"I have gone through many times of joy, as well as times of sorrow. I would like to express my heartfelt gratitude to the emperor and many others who have supported and watched over me every step of the way," the empress said in a statement released by the Imperial Household Agency.

In October, the imperial couple visited Okinawa for the first time since the emperor's ascension [...]

"It was an opportunity to deeply re-etch in my mind the preciousness and importance of peace," said the empress, who has long battled a stress-induced illness.

The empress also visited Tochigi Prefecture in October and Hyogo Prefecture in November, resuming visits to regional areas for the first time in three years following the COVID-19 pandemic.

"Being warmly welcomed by so many people in each location made me more happy and grateful than I ever expected," she said.

[...]

Reflecting on the past year's events, the empress said the outbreak of international conflicts and natural disasters "weighed heavily on my heart" and expressed her sadness over the passing of Britain's Queen Elizabeth II, saying she felt "sincere respect" for the late queen.

The empress also praised the Japanese national soccer team on their recent successes at the World Cup in Qatar, saying they "gave many people great inspiration, dreams, and courage to face difficulties, providing an opportunity for the people of Japan to unite our hearts."
Empress turns 59, reflects on life in Japan’s Imperial family - The Japan News
[...]

She thanks the Emperor for his support, and the Emperor Emeritus and Empress Emerita for their guidance.

Regarding domestic affairs, the Empress says she “feels the pain” of people battling difficulties amid the pandemic and the high cost of living. She expresses particular concern about the impact of the pandemic on children, who have been living under restrictions for nearly three years.

[...]

Referring to world affairs, she writes that it has been “a heart-wrenching year” due to a series of conflicts and natural disasters. Alluding to events including the torrential rains that affected 33 million people in Pakistan, the Empress writes, “Countermeasures for climate change are urgently needed,” adding that she hopes that people around the world will join hands to address the issue.

Separately, the Imperial Household Agency’s medical team said the Empress’ physical condition “continues to fluctuate, and her fatigue may linger for some time,” echoing a similar outlook last year.
Full 59th birthday video

Last edited:
On July 19th, Empress Masako attended "Goyosan Osame no Gi," a ceremony marking the end of this year's sericulture, at Momijiyama Imperial Cocoonery within the Imperial Palace.

She offered 3 types of raw silk (Koishimaru, Hakken and Ouken) to the shrine and worshipped. Empress Masako found time to visit the cocoonery more than usual this year. For the first time, she attached "Tensan" eggs to tree branches this year and harvested the green cocoons with Emperor Naruhito and Princess Aiko on July 14th.

The family had many opportunities to perform together sericulture this year, such as working over 2 hours a day transferring about 10,000 silkworms to cocooning frames. Empress Masako is deeply moved and expressed gratitude for completing Imperial sericulture safely.

Photo/info: NTV, Jiji, Sankei

Last edited:
Empress Masako turns 60 on December 9.

Birthday photos and video were taken with Emperor Naruhito and Princess Aiko at the Imperial residence's small hall on December 1. The family looks at books, photos and items related to the state visit to Indonesia in June.

Photos: Asahi, Mainichi, Nikkansports, AFPBB, FNN

IHA statement and birthday agenda: https://www.kunaicho.go.jp/page/kaiken/show/68
- recaps past year activities, impressions
- natural disasters, wars, conflicts
- nervous about first state visit, received warm welcome and hospitality
- resuming summer retreats and returning to normal life as pandemic eases
- 30th wedding anniversary and reaching age 60 with the support of Emperor Naruhito and warm guidance of the Emeritus couple
- hopes Aiko can make the most of the rest of her university life. She still has some innocence, but feels that Aiko has also come to help us at various times.
- deep gratitude for support and care from Emperor Naruhito, family, parents, friends, teachers, etc.

IHA statement from medical team: https://www.kunaicho.go.jp/kunaicho/koho/kohyo/d-kenkai-r051209.html
- continues treatment, road to recovery
- successfully attended events in and outside Tokyo, careful preparations for state visit, thanks for understanding adjustments
- health can fluctuate, fatigue after a big event or series of events
- needs sufficient rest, exercise and change of pace at times
- fortunate to resume retreats at Imperial Villas after pandemic hiatus
- importance in expanding public and private activities
- request for support and understanding from family, friends, etc.

Japan's Empress Masako turns 60, expresses eagerness to move forward - Kyodo News
[...]

"I have deep gratitude to everyone who has taken care of me, starting with my parents, who raised me with love," the empress said in a statement released by the Imperial Household Agency, adding that she felt "disbelief" at reaching her diamond jubilee.

Reflecting on events since entering the imperial family in 1993 with her marriage to then Crown Prince Naruhito, now emperor, the empress said that the Great Hanshin Earthquake in 1995 and the Great East Japan Earthquake and tsunami in 2011 were "realities that had to be accepted with profound shock and sorrow."

She also lamented the lives lost in global conflicts, particularly those claiming the lives of children, stressing the importance of "understanding and respecting others through dialogue to build a peaceful world."

The empress expressed relief at the easing of the coronavirus pandemic and gratitude for the dedication of health care workers.

She recounted the warm hospitality and her joy of interacting with locals when visiting regional areas in Japan. She also described a goodwill visit to Indonesia in June as "a memorable stay filled with valuable experiences" despite initial reservations as she had not traveled abroad for official duties in quite some time.

[...]

With this year marking the couple's 30th wedding anniversary, the empress said the unwavering support of her husband "enabled me to see this day." She also expressed relief that their daughter, Princess Aiko, safely came of age two years ago.

[...]
Empress Masako Turns 60, Hopes to Move on with New Feeling - The Japan News
[...]

Empress Masako touched on natural disasters that have occurred since she married Emperor Naruhito, including the 1995 Great Hanshin Earthquake in and around the western city of Kobe, the 2011 earthquake and tsunami that hit hard northeastern Japan and the 2016 temblors in Kumamoto Prefecture, southwestern Japan.

[...]

This year, Empress Masako was able to attend in person all of the four major events held in regional areas every year with the attendance of the Imperial couple.

Referring to her visit to areas damaged by the 2011 disaster in Iwate Prefecture in June this year, the Empress said she will continue thinking about affected areas.

[...]

This month marks 20 years since Empress Masako, then Crown Princess, began receiving medical treatment in December 2003. In July 2004, the Imperial Household Agency said her illness was adjustment disorder.

The agency’s team of doctors expressed the same view as before that she is in a process of recovery and that her physical condition is still inconsistent. The team says that she should take enough rest, get some exercise including walks and spend time to refresh herself to keep fatigue from lingering.
Their Majesties visited the Emeritus couple for birthday greetings in the afternoon and Akishino family visiting Imperial Palace in the morning

Last edited:
Full birthday video, less text and graphics from the Government of Japan's Public Relations Office: https://www.gov-online.go.jp/imperial_family_channel/202312/video-276225.html

On December 9th around 3:30pm, Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako visited Sento Imperial residence at Akasaka Estate for about 30 minutes for greetings with the Emeritus couple.

Photos: Kyodo, AP Images

-----

Asahi Shimbun also marked Empress Masako's 60th birthday with an old interview when she was 24 year old Masako Owada, a promising new career bureaucrat. She had passed the diplomatic examination in the first year the Equal Employment Opportunity Law was enacted, joining the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in 1987.

The December 25, 1987 article reported an all-female group called "Hana 87's Alumni group" was formed in the government district of Kasumigaseki. Masako was 1 of 2 women from the group introduced. Her headline was "It's natural to have a job, but I want to balance it with marriage."

The article states that her father is a diplomat and she has lived abroad for a long time since she was a child. She has no hesitation in choosing to work for a living.

"At Harvard, it was natural for women to have jobs," and "However, when I finally received a job offer from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, I thought that I might not be able to get married... I want to balance both jobs."

Masako was in charge of the Environment Committee of the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). Her job includes preparing materials for meetings and coordinating the Japanese government's views at meetings. When Masako returned home around 2am, her mother noted that was early for her.

The article concludes with Masako saying, "It's a bit disappointing that in Japan, people look at you and make comments about your appearance just because you're a woman."

Source/photos: Asahi

-----
ETA: Empress Masako donated 600 tenugui towels to the Japanese Red Cross Society for her 60th birthday. The towels were distributed to residents of six elderly facilities including special nursing homes. She picked the design "Yuzu ripening on a branch."

Empress Kojun started the birthday donations in 1949 and continued by subsequent empresses.

Source: NTV

Last edited:
Asahi Shimbun also marked Empress Masako's 60th birthday with an old interview when she was 24 year old Masako Owada, a promising new career bureaucrat. She had passed the diplomatic examination in the first year the Equal Employment Opportunity Law was enacted, joining the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in 1987.

The December 25, 1987 article reported an all-female group called "Hana 87's Alumni group" was formed in the government district of Kasumigaseki. Masako was 1 of 2 women from the group introduced. Her headline was "It's natural to have a job, but I want to balance it with marriage."

The article states that her father is a diplomat and she has lived abroad for a long time since she was a child. She has no hesitation in choosing to work for a living.

"At Harvard, it was natural for women to have jobs," and "However, when I finally received a job offer from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, I thought that I might not be able to get married... I want to balance both jobs."

Masako was in charge of the Environment Committee of the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). Her job includes preparing materials for meetings and coordinating the Japanese government's views at meetings. When Masako returned home around 2am, her mother noted that was early for her.

The article concludes with Masako saying, "It's a bit disappointing that in Japan, people look at you and make comments about your appearance just because you're a woman."

Source/photos: Asahi

Very interesting! To me it seems as if media coverage (at least in the West) of Masako and other Japanese women with successful careers has tended to depict them as not wishing to marry out of a preference for continuing in their professions, so it is revealing that Masako's true wish was to be able to have both marriage and a professional job - and I expect it also was and is true for many of the other Japanese women like her.

Also interesting is that she was uncomfortable enough with the double standard of women being evaluated on their appearance in the workplace to raise it in an interview with a major newspaper, since sexist comments on appearance unfortunately come with the territory of being a senior female royal (and that applies for royals in the West, too).

Back
Top Bottom