Emperor Naruhito Current Events Part 1: May 2019 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Emperor Naruhito opened an extraordinary Diet session at the Upper House of Parliament in Tokyo today, October 26:

** rex gallery **

Emperor Naruhito was briefed by Prime Minister Suga on domestic and international affairs at the Imperial Palace on October 27. The PM also reported recipients of autumn decorations for November 3rd.

Emperor Naruhito will award the Order of Culture to 5 people at the Imperial Palace. The 20 Order of Cultural Merit recipients will be awarded at a hotel in Tokyo. Their Majesties will not hold a tea party due to the pandemic.

Sources: news24.jp, Jiji

On November 11th, Emperor Naruhito presented honors such as the Order of the Rising Sun and the Order of the Sacred Treasure at the Imperial Palace. Spouses were allowed to attend this time.

AP Images

Last edited:
Emperor Naruhito plans to give a New Year greeting by video since the usual January 2 public greetings have been cancelled to prevent the spread of coronavirus according to the Imperial Household Agency.

Specific date/time (January 1 or 2), content, and whether Empress Masako will be present are undecided.

Sources: Asahi, Sankei

Japan Emperor to Release New Year's Message in Video | Nippon.com
...The Emperor's "direct interactions with the Japanese people have decreased due to the coronavirus epidemic, which has led to all of his regional visits being postponed," the agency said. "We have decided on the video message as a substitute for the Jan. 2 greeting event..."
Emperor to send video message to public at start of the new year: The Asahi Shimbun
... This will mark Naruhito’s first video address to the public.

The video is expected to be released on Jan. 1 or 2, but the details are still under consideration, according to the agency. It is also undecided whether Empress Masako will be part of the video.

[...]

His father, Emperor Emeritus Akihito, sent video messages of his own at the time of the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake and in August 2016, when he said he would abdicate from the throne...

Last edited:
The Imperial Household Agency announced the 2021 New Year video message will be released on January 1 at 5:30am. No mention about Empress Masako participating. 5:30am is also Emperor Naruhito's first new year activity where he worships at the Imperial Palace's Shinkaden.

Source: Jiji

Japan Emperor to Release New Year’s Video Message | Nippon.com
... The video message will be uploaded to the agency’s website at 5:30 a.m. Friday (8:30 p.m. Thursday GMT). It will be also used in place of the Emperor’s written New Year’s statement, according to the agency...

On January 18th, Emperor Naruhito opened the 204th ordinary Diet session at the House of Councillors in Tokyo.

AP Images

The visit of the General Public to the Imperial Palace grounds on February 23, 2021 to celebrate His Majesty the Emperor's Birthday was canceled due to circumstances of COVID-19. Both the Appearances in the morning and the Signing of the Visitors' Book in the afternoon were canceled.
https://www.kunaicho.go.jp/e-event/sanga02.html

Emperor's birthday event canceled for 2nd year due to virus surge - Kyodo News
The Imperial Household Agency said Monday it has canceled a public birthday event for Emperor Naruhito at the Imperial Palace for the second year in a row to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus.

The birthday address, which was to be held on Feb. 23 to celebrate the emperor's 61st birthday, was also canceled last year due to the pandemic....

Last edited:
Reactions: eya
Emperor Naruhito turns 61 on February 23

He attended a birthday press conference on February 19 and the Imperial Household Agency released photos and video taken on February 2 at Akasaka residence.

Photos: Asahi, AFBPP, AP Images, shutterstock

Press conference (translation)

Celebrations were reduced:
- public greetings, banquet and tea were cancelled
- greetings from heads of government
- 5 ambassadors represented the diplomatic corps
- Crown Prince and Princess Akishino represented the Imperial family greetings
- Sayako Kuroda, her husband Yoshiki and Empress Masako's parents Yumiko and Hisashi Owada represented the relatives' greetings

kuroda_20210223.jpg

owada_20210223.jpg

Emperor feels grateful for strength of Japan people over pandemic - Kyodo News
Emperor Naruhito, on the occasion of his 61st birthday on Tuesday, said he felt thankful for the "perseverance and strength of the people" in Japan in the face of the novel coronavirus pandemic and expressed appreciation for the medical professionals who have toiled through it.

The emperor offered his condolences for the many losses suffered in the past year due to the virus, acknowledging the efforts individuals have made to prevent the further spread of infections, as well as the difficulties and stress brought about by the pandemic.

"I look forward to a bright future after the public overcomes the coronavirus pandemic with patience by cooperating with each other," he said during a press conference held in Tokyo on Friday ahead of his birthday.

[...]

The emperor expressed hope that he will be able to visit the northeastern Tohoku region of Japan, which on March 11 will commemorate the 10th anniversary of a massive earthquake, tsunami and nuclear disaster that killed around 16,000 people and left some 2,500 unaccounted for, mostly in the prefectures of Fukushima, Iwate and Miyagi.

"If I have a chance, I hope to visit the affected areas with the passing of more than 10 years," he said. "I feel that the wounds of people affected by the disaster have not yet healed."

A strong temblor that hit northeastern Japan earlier this month reminded him once again that Japan "needs to think about the Great East Japan Earthquake as a part of the present, and not just the past."

Asked about his niece Princess Mako's planned marriage to her university boyfriend Kei Komuro, which has been delayed following reports of a money dispute involving his mother, the emperor said he hopes for "a situation in which many people are convinced and pleased, as (her father) Crown Prince Fumihito said."

[...]

In the press conference, the emperor voiced concern about increases in domestic violence and child abuse cases, alongside the growing suicide rates among women and younger people due to the pandemic.

Regarding his immediate family, the emperor said he would continue to support his wife, who "is still in the process of recovering." The empress, who has long been battling a stress-induced illness, is prone to bouts of exhaustion following major events, he said.

He also talked about his daughter Princess Aiko, a Gakushuin University student who will become an adult member of the family when she turns 20 in December.

"I hope she learns from many people and that the experiences she has broaden her views," the emperor said of his daughter, who is currently attending the university's Department of Japanese Language and Literature.

[...]

Meanwhile, he said it is "unfortunate" that he has fewer opportunities to meet with his 87-year-old father, former Emperor Akihito, who abdicated in 2019, and the crown prince due to the pandemic, but that he communicates with them accordingly.

Last edited:
Asked about his niece Princess Mako's planned marriage to her university boyfriend Kei Komuro, which has been delayed following reports of a money dispute involving his mother, the emperor said he hopes for "a situation in which many people are convinced and pleased, as (her father) Crown Prince Fumihito said."

Is this the first time the Emperor has addressed his niece's marriage controversy? He seems to share his brother's concern about the public backlash. It is interesting to compare it to his determination as a young man to marry Owada Masako regardless of what others had to say about it, although it is understandable now that he has been put on the throne and taken on the responsibility for preserving the reputation of the monarchy.

I'm not sure why he received a question regarding his own daughter's future marriage. She is not even yet an adult. Have there been rumors about a boyfriend?

Is this the first time the Emperor has addressed his niece's marriage controversy? He seems to share his brother's concern about the public backlash. It is interesting to compare it to his determination as a young man to marry Owada Masako regardless of what others had to say about it, although it is understandable now that he has been put on the throne and taken on the responsibility for preserving the reputation of the monarchy.

I'm not sure why he received a question regarding his own daughter's future marriage. She is not even yet an adult. Have there been rumors about a boyfriend?
Yes, I believe this is the first time he mentioned Mako's marriage delay. He's in a difficult position. As you said, Naruhito was determined to marry Masako although he may have regrets given her difficulties adjusting to Imperial life. I'm guessing he sympathizes with both his brother and niece. Then-Prince Fumihito was determined to marry Kiko Kawashima, same as Mako who's set on marrying Kei. As a father, Naruhito probably wonders what if Aiko falls in love with someone like Kei (someone outside of Japan's elite) or someone with a bumpy upbringing.

Marriage is a hot topic. Most got a marriage / "ideal partner" question during their 20th birthday and university graduation press conferences/written responses. Naruhito probably dreaded the question while single. Either the press stopped asking or IHA declined marriage questions for Sayako in her early 30s. Kako already refused to respond to anymore marriage questions.

I think only Princess Akiko didn't get the marriage question. She was asked about studying in the UK, culture, and family (father, mother, grandfather) during her 20th birthday press conference.

There was a 2019 Jisin report about a tall boy who accompanied Aiko and her 4 girl friends to Nasu Animal Kingdom during summer holiday. He's appears to be a longtime family friend though.

Last edited:
On April 1st, Emperor Naruhito attended the certification ceremony for Koro Bessho (68) as new Grand Chamberlain to Their Majesties. Nobutake Odano (73) retired the same day. Both men attended press conferences. Odano has served Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako since May 2016.

Photos: Jiji

Some quotes from NHK, FNN, tv-asahi:

Bessho: "The Emperor and Empress are symbolic emperors that suit the occasion, based on the way the emperor has been doing so far. I am acting with the idea of ​​doing what is appropriate for me. I hope that it will be of some help to that end, and I will do my best to the best of my ability... I hope that the infectious disease will be resolved as soon as possible, and at the same time, as each and every one of the people shares their hardships and works hard, I feel that a bright future will come. I think it will be fulfilled... I want to do my best to help His Majesty think and act."

Odano: "It was a great honor to be able to serve the historic event of replacement [abdication/succession] ... I think the excitement I felt at that time will last a lifetime... I deepened the impression that I witnessed an important moment in history, and I reminded myself to support His Majesty with all my might." He was also touched by Their Majesties' concern for the suffering of the people in the coronavirus pandemic.

Last edited:
On April 6th, Emperor Naruhito sowed seeds of non-glutinous "Nihonmasari" and glutinous "Mangetsumochi" rice at the Imperial Palace.

Photos: Mainichi, Asahi

Emperor sows rice seeds at palace | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News
On Tuesday morning, the Emperor squatted down at a nursery bed and planted two kinds of rice seeds from last year's palace harvest. He sowed about 180 seeds each in several 30-by-30-centimeter plots.

Emperor Naruhito attended ambassador credential ceremonies at the Imperial Palace

April 8: Stefan H Johannesson from Iceland [Sankei] Emperor Naruhito also attended certification ceremonies and an audience with Japan's new ambassador to Nigeria.

April 12: Armenia and Argentina [Sankei]

Armenian Ambassador presents credentials to Emperor of Japan | ARMENPRESS Armenian News Agency
Ambassador of Armenia to Japan Areg Hovhannisyan has presented his credentials on April 12 to Emperor Naruhito of Japan, the Armenian foreign ministry told Armenpress.

The Emperor of Japan congratulated the Ambassador of Armenia on appointment, expressing confidence that he will invest all efforts for the further development and deepening of the Armenian-Japanese relations...

April 14: Bulgaria and United Kingdom [Sankei]

Ambassador Marieta Arabadjieva presented her credentials to His Majesty the Emperor of Japan

Emperor Naruhito received the credentials of the UAE Ambassador. I think on March 12 with the Ambassador from Sri Lanka according to the IHA schedule.

On May 24th, Emperor Naruhito received the credentials of Ambassadors from South Korea and Kenya.

Photos: Korean ambassador presents credentials to Japan - The Korea Times, Sankei

On May 27th, Emperor Naruhito received the credentials of Ambassadors from Turkey and Afghanistan.

Source: Sankei Imperial Weekly 694

On May 26th, Emperor Naruhito planted rice seedlings in a paddy field beside the Institute of Biology in the Imperial Palace.

Last edited:
Reactions: eya
On June 22nd, Emperor Naruhito received a briefing from Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga about the Tokyo Olympics at the Imperial Palace.

Video: news24.jp

On June 24th, Imperial Household Agency Grand Steward Nishimura Yasuhiko said Emperor Naruhito is worried the Olympics and Paralympic Games could increase COVID-19 infections.

Emperor seems concerned about coronavirus status | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News
Japan's Imperial Household Agency chief says Emperor Naruhito is deeply concerned about the coronavirus status in the country ahead of the Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games due to open next month.

The agency's Grand Steward Nishimura Yasuhiko spoke at a regular news conference on Thursday. He said he humbly believes that amid public concern, the Emperor is worried that the event could lead to a rise in infections.

The Emperor is an Honorary Patron of the Olympic and Paralympic Games. Arrangements are underway for the Emperor to attend the opening ceremonies of both events to declare the commencement of the Games.

[...]
Japan emperor appears concerned Olympics could spread COVID: official - Kyodo News
[...]

"His majesty is very worried about the current infection situation of the COVID-19 disease," Yasuhiko Nishimura, grand steward of the agency, said at a press conference.

"I suppose that (the emperor) is concerned that while there are voices of anxiety among the public, the holding of the Olympics and Paralympics...may lead to a rise in infections," Nishimura said.

Nishimura added he has "not heard such words directly from his majesty" but "feels that way" as he talks to the emperor every day.

Japan's top government spokesman Katsunobu Kato played down the remarks, which came a day after Tokyo marked one month until the start of the Olympics, saying they represented the grand steward's "view."

"I would like to ask the Imperial Household Agency for details, but as I have said, we will realize a safe and secure games," Kato said at a press conference.

[...]

A Kyodo News survey, the results of which were released over the weekend, showed that about 86 percent of people in Japan are concerned about the risk of a rebound in COVID-19 cases.

A number of influential infectious disease experts have also warned of a possible resurgence of the virus before or after the Olympics begin on July 23, calling for either the cancellation or a no-spectator games.

[...]

Senior officials of the household agency are concerned about the imperial family's engagement in the upcoming Olympics and Paralympics as the Japanese public remains skeptical about going ahead with the games amid a global health crisis and there is no festive atmosphere in Tokyo.

[...]

One of the officials has said the agency will "just follow the decision to be made by the International Olympic Committee or the government" regarding the emperor's involvement in the games.

Hideya Kawanishi, an associate professor at the Nagoya University Graduate School of Humanities, who is an expert on imperial affairs, said he believes the grand steward "effectively" quoted the emperor's comments with his consent.

"I think there were two thoughts in the message. One is to have the government and the organizing committee thoroughly implement measures to prevent infection," Kawanishi said.

"The other is he wants the people to understand his difficult position of needing to make an opening declaration based on the Olympic Charter as the people are divided into those supportive of hosting the games and those who are against staging them."

[...]

On June 22nd, Emperor Naruhito received a briefing from Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga about the Tokyo Olympics at the Imperial Palace.

Video: news24.jp

On June 24th, Imperial Household Agency Grand Steward Nishimura Yasuhiko said Emperor Naruhito is worried the Olympics and Paralympic Games could increase COVID-19 infections.

Emperor seems concerned about coronavirus status | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News

Japan's Imperial Household Agency chief says Emperor Naruhito is deeply concerned about the coronavirus status in the country ahead of the Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games due to open next month.

The agency's Grand Steward Nishimura Yasuhiko spoke at a regular news conference on Thursday. He said he humbly believes that amid public concern, the Emperor is worried that the event could lead to a rise in infections.

The Emperor is an Honorary Patron of the Olympic and Paralympic Games. Arrangements are underway for the Emperor to attend the opening ceremonies of both events to declare the commencement of the Games.

[...]

Japan emperor appears concerned Olympics could spread COVID: official - Kyodo News

[...]

"His majesty is very worried about the current infection situation of the COVID-19 disease," Yasuhiko Nishimura, grand steward of the agency, said at a press conference.

"I suppose that (the emperor) is concerned that while there are voices of anxiety among the public, the holding of the Olympics and Paralympics...may lead to a rise in infections," Nishimura said.

Nishimura added he has "not heard such words directly from his majesty" but "feels that way" as he talks to the emperor every day.

Japan's top government spokesman Katsunobu Kato played down the remarks, which came a day after Tokyo marked one month until the start of the Olympics, saying they represented the grand steward's "view."

"I would like to ask the Imperial Household Agency for details, but as I have said, we will realize a safe and secure games," Kato said at a press conference.

[...]

A Kyodo News survey, the results of which were released over the weekend, showed that about 86 percent of people in Japan are concerned about the risk of a rebound in COVID-19 cases.

A number of influential infectious disease experts have also warned of a possible resurgence of the virus before or after the Olympics begin on July 23, calling for either the cancellation or a no-spectator games.

[...]

Senior officials of the household agency are concerned about the imperial family's engagement in the upcoming Olympics and Paralympics as the Japanese public remains skeptical about going ahead with the games amid a global health crisis and there is no festive atmosphere in Tokyo.

[...]

One of the officials has said the agency will "just follow the decision to be made by the International Olympic Committee or the government" regarding the emperor's involvement in the games.

Hideya Kawanishi, an associate professor at the Nagoya University Graduate School of Humanities, who is an expert on imperial affairs, said he believes the grand steward "effectively" quoted the emperor's comments with his consent.

"I think there were two thoughts in the message. One is to have the government and the organizing committee thoroughly implement measures to prevent infection," Kawanishi said.

"The other is he wants the people to understand his difficult position of needing to make an opening declaration based on the Olympic Charter as the people are divided into those supportive of hosting the games and those who are against staging them."

[...]

That seems like an extraordinarily direct political intervention! Presumably it was for that reason the Grand Steward carefully claimed that the Emperor did not directly make a statement.

It is not the first time that the imperial family/household has clashed with the government, of course, but arguments over imperial house laws or even war apologies do not rise to the same level in my eyes as breaking with the government and the International Olympic Committee on a hot-button political issue. When was the last time a situation of this nature came about?

On the other hand, the Emperor is only speaking (through the IHA) the concerns of most of the public, and I take Professor Kawanishi's point that if HM kept his silence, his participation in the Olympic opening ceremony could be perceived as complicity and open him to criticism from disgruntled members of the public.

All the same, the Emperor is constitutionally supposed to be apolitical, and judging by the government press secretary's "I would like to ask the Imperial Household Agency for details" the government does not seem to be enthusiastic about the Emperor/IHA's intervention.

I would be interested in hearing opinions from the Japanese public and from royal watchers.

Thank you to Prisma for posting the news (on a side note, the first article link does not work for me, but the second article is informative).

Last edited:
You're welcome Tatiana Maria and thanks for letting me know about first link. Not sure what's going on, it's working for me.

I wonder what consequences Yasuhiko Nishimura will face... In 2016, Shinzo Abe's government was displeased with Grand Steward Noriyuki Kazaoka's role in the abdication and his early retirement was seen as punishment.

Emperor’s aide in hot water for Olympic, virus comment : The Asahi Shimbun
[...]

“From what I gather, the emperor is concerned about holding the Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games, for which he serves as honorary president, while people are voicing anxiety over whether it will lead to a spread of infections,” Nishimura said at the news conference.

[...]

Cornered by reporters for comment, Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga said June 25 that Nishimura had purely voiced his personal views.

Others in the government were aghast that Nishimura even inferred what the emperor might be thinking about the Olympics as it could affect preparations to hold the Games that kick off July 23.

“The feelings of the emperor should not be spoken about in the open by ‘inferring’ things,” said a high-ranking official in the prime minister’s office.

“It took me by surprise, too. I want to know how that comment came about,” said another Suga associate.

Hideya Kawanishi, an associate professor of history at Nagoya University, said Nishimura’s comment should be taken as simply an expression of the emperor’s concern for the well-being of the public.

“The emperor has always wanted to be on the side of the general public as they suffer through the pandemic, so there had to be the need for an opportunity to express his concerns” on the issue, Kawanishi said.

In the past, Imperial Household Agency officials have voiced their impressions of what members of the imperial family feel about certain issues.

Retired agency officials said there have been instances of high-ranking members indirectly transmitting the views of the emperor and others in the imperial family regarding topics of wide interest to the public.

But even in those cases, agency officials never clearly stated whether the comment was simply their own surmise or if it truly represented the view of an imperial family member.

[...]

While Suga deftly sidestepped reporters’ questions, Seiko Hashimoto, the head of the Tokyo Olympic organizing committee and a former Olympian herself, seemed stuck for a comment during her June 25 news conference.

Avoiding a direct response, she simply said that every effort would be made to eliminate any concerns the public may have about a spread of infections during the Olympics.

Government officials were also puzzled by Nishimura’s comment because he was considered close to the administration.

He was named vice grand steward two months after Naruhito’s father, Emperor Emeritus Akihito, expressed his intention in July 2016 to abdicate the Chrysanthemum Throne.

At the time of Nishimura’s appointment, it was suggested that he got the position so the prime minister’s office could exert more influence over the agency.

Another matter that is fueling current speculation is that Suga met with Naruhito on June 22 for a periodic chat held by the prime minister to explain government policy on various issues.

While the contents of those meetings are never divulged, some people in the prime minister’s office suggested the issue of the Olympics must have been raised.

[...]
Suga Dismisses Claim of Emperor's Concerns over Tokyo Games | Nippon.com

Emperor worried virus will spread at Games, says imperial agency : The Asahi Shimbun

Last edited:
That's pretty remarkable!

The former emperor was hit as hard on the head as the government dared, several times for - shall we say - not being in line with the official stance.
I.e. Fukushima, war-crimes etc.

I think public health and safety and politics are getting conflated. The Emperor has the right to be concerned for the people and the right to say something if he indeed is concerned.

The backlash to keep him as a voiceless figurehead at all costs is unsettling.

On June 25th, Emperor Naruhito delivered a keynote address at the virtual 5th United Nations Special Thematic Session on Water and Disasters "Building Back Better towards More Resilient and Sustainable Post-COVID-19 World"

Photos: Asahi

Japan's Emperor Delivers Address at U.N. Meeting on Water | Nippon.com
[...] Using photos and diagrams, the Emperor delivered his 25-minute speech, titled "Passing on the Memory of Disasters," in English.

[...]

He introduced the activities of people working as storytellers who are passing along their experiences on the disaster as well as related remnants and monuments.

The Emperor pointed to the need for people to find out what our ancestors experienced during the Spanish flu and other pandemics in the past to overcome the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Fifth UN Special Thematic Session on Water and Disasters - "Building Back Better towards More Resilient and Sustainable Post-COVID-19 World" | UN Web TV

Last edited:
On July 6th, Emperor Naruhito received a COVID-19 vaccine at his residence in Akasaka Estate.

Japan Emperor Receives COVID-19 Vaccine | Nippon.com
Japanese Emperor Naruhito received a COVID-19 vaccine shot at the Akasaka Imperial Residence in Tokyo's Minato Ward on Tuesday afternoon, the Imperial Household Agency announced.

The Emperor has reported no health problem following the inoculation, according to a senior agency official.

The agency said it decided the timing of vaccination for the Emperor after examining progress on vaccinations among the public and consulting with the Emperor.

[...] The Emperor gave his consent to the announcement, according to the agency.

[...]
Japanese Emperor Naruhito receives COVID-19 vaccine - The Mainichi

Last edited:
2 weeks out, Olympic schedule for emperor still not determined | The Asahi Shimbun
[...]

However, only 15 days from the Opening Ceremony, Naruhito’s itinerary for and the scope of the imperial family’s involvement in the Olympics remain “to be determined,” according to his top aide.

“We are in the process of scheduling,” said Yasuhiko Nishimura, head of the Imperial Household Agency, at a news conference on July 8. “I have nothing to say about it at the moment.”

Answers to questions such as what Naruhito will say in the opening statement of the Olympics, if he will host a feast at the Imperial Palace and invite foreign heads of state and other guests, and whether imperial family members will attend a sporting event are still “up in the air,” according to Nishimura.

[...]
Japan declares 4th state of emergency for Tokyo | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News
The Japanese government has decided to place Tokyo under a coronavirus state of emergency, its fourth so far. Prime Minister Suga Yoshihide announced it will be in effect from Monday July 12 to August 22. That will include the duration of the Tokyo Olympics.

[...]

Infection cases in the capital have been going up. Health authorities reported 896 new infections on Thursday, marking the 19th straight day cases have gone up compared to the week before.

Last edited:
I am not surprised that the IHA wants to hold off any public decisions regarding this evolving and politically delicate issue.

I take it that Mr. Nishimura is backtracking to an extent with the clarification that he, and by inference the Emperor, was not calling for an outright cancellation of the Olympics but only for more stringent infection prevention measures.

Surely it would be an illogical decision to invite foreign heads of state given that foreign spectators are banned.

Have foreign members of the IOC pushed back on the Emperor's intervention?

Yea, I can't imagine the Imperial family hosting gatherings for IOC and foreign guests when the tea ceremonies for Japan Academy and Japan Art Academy winners were cancelled. Those tea events would have been 20-30 people max?

A brief Google search didn't turn up much about IOC pushing back at the Emperor comments. Most seemed to focus on reassurances the Tokyo games will be safe.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1109703/world-athletics-coe-tokyo-2020-risks

https://www.nippon.com/en/news/ntv20210713003/ioc-chief-bach-lauds-tokyo-games-preparations.html

https://www.newsweek.com/tokyo-olym...ould-present-events-other-parts-japan-1608015

Challenge opinion piece from a digital US news site Olympic Denial: The Last Plea to Stop the ‘IOC Pandemic Games’ - The Globe Post

Last edited:
Ha! I posted too soon and my assumptions are incorrect :lol:
IOC members and foreign guests will be meeting the Emperor.

Emperor to attend Olympics opening ceremony alone | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News
Japan's Emperor Naruhito will likely attend the opening ceremony of the Tokyo Olympics alone.

... On the day before the ceremony, the Emperor will receive a courtesy call at the Imperial Palace by senior officials of the International Olympic Committee, including IOC President Thomas Bach.

On the day of the ceremony, the Emperor will receive foreign VIPs at the palace before visiting the stadium in the evening...

Japan's emperor to declare opening of Tokyo Olympics - Kyodo News
... However, imperial family members are unlikely to watch other Olympic events at venues after organizers decided earlier this month to stage almost all of the competitions behind closed doors to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, according to the official ...
ETA: Sankei reports the number of guests will be limited and no eating or drinking at the palace events.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom