Crown Princess Masako's adjustment disorder

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mandy

Majesty
Country
United States
A year ago, I said on this very forum that I did not trust the IHA to have Masako's best interest at heart. I still don't trust them. I believe they sedated her into a yes-person. The way the IHA scheduled her recovery with apperances here and there sometimes with no pictures smacks of theatrics to mimic relapses and remissions. Masako deserves better.

Mandy - First I want to say, I am not doubting in the least what you write. As you can probably tell from my posts here and in the Princess Kiko forum, I am sad but also appalled by this pregnancy news. I guess I am still trying to understand the extent of the IHA's power, which -- from posts by Warren and Elspeth and now you -- seems to be almost total control over the lives of the Imperial Family. In fact, the Imperial Family is seeming to be little more than puppets whose every movement is controlled by the IHA puppeteers. If this is indeed the case, do you think Naruhito would ever consider abdicating all responsibility and moving elsewhere to preserve the sanity of his wife?

It all depends on Naruhito's courage because the IHA controls the purse strings and should he abdicate, he and Masako would be left relatively peniless. Who then buys the ticket to freedom? I'm not sure the IHA would let them have Aiko which means neither parent would leave without their child.

Mandy said:
It all depends on Naruhito's courage because the IHA controls the purse strings and should he abdicate, he and Masako would be left relatively peniless. Who then buys the ticket to freedom? I'm not sure the IHA would let them have Aiko which means neither parent would leave without their child.

Wow, if I couldn't take my child, I would never leave; I can't imagine they would do any different. I would think that is their right to take her, though. And are their livlihoods completely dependent on the IHA? That is, they have no properties, possessions of their own independent of the IHA? That kind of control is scary..reminds me of feudal relationships. Are there any books in English that you know of that do some sort of expose on the IHA?

Why couldn't they take Aiko? Its apparent that the IHA doesn't think much of her...and from that I say SHAME ON THEM!

Zonk1189 said:
Why couldn't they take Aiko? Its apparent that the IHA doesn't think much of her...and from that I say SHAME ON THEM!

I feel the same. It's too awful for words, being shunned and being thought of as not good enough, because you're a girl. Poor Aiko and her cousins.

I imagine that the IHA is composed of very old and very traditional Japanese men. I couldn't understand why it has that much influence on the family's affairs - only because it controls the money? Maybe because it's always been there.... tradition and all? It seems to me that the family can't exist without it, even if they wanted to.

I have Japanese classmates/friends and they are very modern. They love Aiko, and they don't mind having an Empress at all. Now, if only the IHA can grasp that....

Last edited:
In my experience..I have found that people are sometimes afraid of what they don't know and understand. That's my explanation for the Imperial Agency.

I totally feel for Masako..its so obvious that the agency is out to get her...I mean..think about it....rumours about concubines, and possible divorce and they don't try to shush the rumours. Its disgusting.

Zonk1189 said:

It would make total sense if Masako couldn't leave with Aiko but Naruhito isn't allowed to, either?? It's not like Aiko's an officially recognized heir in terms of the succession.

Do Naruhito, Masako and Aiko need the permission of the emperor and empress to travel, or that of the IHA? This all seems very backwards, to me.

janos614 said:
Do Naruhito, Masako and Aiko need the permission of the emperor and empress to travel, or that of the IHA? This all seems very backwards, to me.
I think the Imperial Household Agency and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs are responsible for the planning of foreign visits, ones which might represent the Emperor and Empress abroad. If they do make foreign visits, they need to report to the Emperor and Empress before and after they make the trip (I think this these reports are like a farewell visit or welcoming visit back home, they just speak to both the Emperor and Empress about the trip and might be reminded by their Imperial Highnesses of some important messages to bring to their foreign hosts).

For local vacations at the Imperial Villas, I think the Crown prince and princess can make their own choices, but require the Imperial Household agency to make the necessary plans such as transportation and housing staffs at the villas.

Last edited:
I think being controlled by the IHA is like being in prison. You're locked up in a palace and your every move is controlled. Actually it's kind of like the nobility in Versailles with Louis XIV. Masako probably wonders what her life would have been like if she had never joined the Japanese Imperial Family. I know she loves her daughter very much but if she had never married Naruhito, Masako would have a much more free life. A graduate from Harvard, a modern woman with intelligence, she would have gone far. Now she's stuck and can't get out.

soCal girl said:
Masako probably wonders what her life would have been like if she had never joined the Japanese Imperial Family. I know she loves her daughter very much but if she had never married Naruhito, Masako would have a much more free life. A graduate from Harvard, a modern woman with intelligence, she would have gone far. Now she's stuck and can't get out.
I think if she had never married Prince Naruhito, she could've been the Minister of Foreign Affairs by now if she countinued to stay in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

mandyy said:
I think if she had never married Prince Naruhito, she could've been the Minister of Foreign Affairs by now if she countinued to stay in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

actually, to reject the hand of the crown prince would not have gone down well with the IHA and govt. I don't think she wld hve gone far in her career within the Minsitry - certainly not to the level of Minister. But in other fields, she would have gone far.

I remembered reading in some local papers during the time of their wedding, that she was to a certain degree told that she cldn't reject the marriage proposal for it would reflect bad for her father who was then holding a high post and for herself too. Something to do with 'her duty to her father and country'....i remember how horrible it must be for her to be put in that position.

it's such a shame a woman with so many promising talent seem to go to waste..

don't hate me for saying this (because in actual fact, i love & respect all the crown princesses), Masako actually has the best background (in theory), a harvard graduate and promising diplomat, and etc. If she married one of the european crown princes, i'm sure the future is very much different now. She would be acknowleged as a good assets (probably go on solo trip every now & then like Mathilde & Maxima), and just be a great ambassador to her country (like Victoria, Mary, Mette-Marit, and Letizia)...

Eliza said:
I remembered reading in some local papers during the time of their wedding, that she was to a certain degree told that she cldn't reject the marriage proposal for it would reflect bad for her father who was then holding a high post and for herself too. Something to do with 'her duty to her father and country'....i remember how horrible it must be for her to be put in that position.
Yes Eliza, I remember reading this as well. Once she had passed a certain point in her relationship with the Crown Prince there was no turning back. Duty to the nation may have been one element, but the honour of the family and especially her father meant that if she did have doubts, the pressure and expectation could not be resisted.

soCal girl said:
I think being controlled by the IHA is like being in prison. You're locked up in a palace and your every move is controlled. Actually it's kind of like the nobility in Versailles with Louis XIV. Masako probably wonders what her life would have been like if she had never joined the Japanese Imperial Family. I know she loves her daughter very much but if she had never married Naruhito, Masako would have a much more free life. A graduate from Harvard, a modern woman with intelligence, she would have gone far. Now she's stuck and can't get out.

What is their day to day life like? Do they have any privacy as a family, any say in what they eat, wear, do? I know this is a different culture, but it all seems so backward to me. I can't imagine living this way.

It is helpful to me to read all your comments. Not that it makes the situation any better for Masako but to know there people as equally disturbed by this whole situation as I am. I just find it so sad; such a waste of Masako's wonderful talents, as well as, so demeaning to women in general. Aiko's gene pool is fantastic and with such conscientious parents I'm sure she would make a great Empress.

Mandy said:

If Masako and Naruhito left they would be penniless is not correct. While the IHA holds the bulk of the money available to the Imperial family. Members of the Imperial family do have their own private money. A very modest amount when compared with other royal families. When Emperor Hirohito died, he left an estate of several hundred thousand dollars ( small in comparison with European royals) this money was inherited by his surviving children including 2 daughters that had left the Imperial Family through marriage. It was made known that Princess Sayako too will inherit money from her father, the Emperor even though she had left the Imperial Family.
The bulk of the money the IHA has control of, is the money that comes from the government, basically the Japanese taxpayer, and it's a considerable amount. The Japanese Imperial Family is one of the most expensive royal families when you see how much money comes from the government to support them. The IHA is answerable to the Japanese government.
Divorce rumours that are circulating are originating outside of Japan and doing the rounds of western and some Asian media, it's not a concerted effort to discredit Masako. Regardless of whether Kiko has a boy or girl, Naruhito will be Emperor and Masako Empress. Masako knew what she what she was agreeing to by marrying Naruhito. There would be no divorce, as Naruhito genuinely loves his wife and Masako would loose all access to Aiko if she divorced Naruhito. Not because of that "terrible IHA" but that's the way divorce laws work in Japan, even ordinary women who divorce and deemed at fault in the divorce loose access as well as custody of their children.
Duty and honour are important attributes to all royals and particularly the Japanese with their traditions, Naruhito won't leave and when he's Emperor he will be able to instigate changes as his father has also since becoming Emperor.
The succession law can only be changed by the Japanese parliament, the IHA is a bureaucracy but has no elected parliamentarians in it, so has no vote in the law change. There are however some extreme right wing parliamentarians who are totally opposed to female succession and they are the vocal opponents that could have the law thrown out.
The IHA is an enormous bureaucracy of over 7,000 people, each royal house hold is run separately, the Emperor's, the CP, Prince Akishino's and the minor royals. As the majority of Japanese institutions the people at the top are male ( only 9% of leadership and managerial positions in Japan are held by women, in contrast to western countries where depending on the country it ranges from 30-50%) but over the last 10 years well over half the staff that has been employed by the IHA has been women,( previously it had been basically all men) some will rise through the ranks and this will make a change in the way the agency is run.
Kiko has had as much pressure as Masako to have a son, over 3 years ago the now former IHA chief steward said publically that as far as what was best for the Imperial household he would like the CP couple to have a 2nd child and Akishino and Kiko to have a 3rd. In his 2003 and 2004 birthday interview Akishino was asked both times if he and his wife would have a 3rd child.
The set up around the households of the Japanese royals, reflects Japanese values of the collective ( the Imperial family) being more important than the individual ( Masako, Kiko etc) In general Japanese society this comes through that the company is more important than the family. Hence the postwar Japanese ecomomic miracle, Japanese employees working incredibly long hours and the fact that in the Japanese language there is a word for 'death by overwork'.
As far as the IHA not letting them have Aiko if N and M leave, when Charles and Diana divorced QEII had custodial responsiblity for William and Harry and I think she also has for Beatrice and Eugenie. Royal children, especially if they're high up on the succession line belong to the institution of the royal family rather than their parents.

Last edited:
Thank you Charlotte1! :)

Emily said:
It is helpful to me to read all your comments. Not that it makes the situation any better for Masako but to know there people as equally disturbed by this whole situation as I am. I just find it so sad; such a waste of Masako's wonderful talents, as well as, so demeaning to women in general. Aiko's gene pool is fantastic and with such conscientious parents I'm sure she would make a great Empress.

I find it very sad, too, Emily. Again, I know this is a different culture, but shouldn't they be entitled to live their lives with choice and not as puppets that are manipulated?

I appreciate all the posts that have explained so much. Can any of you suggest any books, etc that would be good to read about this monarchy?

Emmily said:
I appreciate all the posts that have explained so much. Can any of you suggest any books, etc that would be good to read about this monarchy?

A good place to start is the official website of the Imperial Family.

www.kunaicho.go.jp/eindex.html

The website has information on the IHA and how it works as well as the interviews the various members of the Imperial Family give on their birthdays. Also the interviews they give before going on a major overseas trip. It has biographies on the various royals so you get to know who's who.

This loving couple have such an uphill battle. They've been fighting for their relationship since before they got engaged and it's a terrible thing what happened to Masako. At least it seems like she's getting better and her and her husband's marriage seem to be solid as well.

Japan's crown prince wants help for wife

TOKYO (AFP) - Japanese Crown Prince Naruhito called on the palace to do more to help his wife, who has shunned most public events for more than two years due to stress.

"I am very grateful that staffers at Togu (the crown prince's household) and other people concerned have made various efforts and offered cooperation," he told reporters Friday.
"I would like to ask for further understanding and cooperation," said the prince, who took the unprecedented step in 2004 of publicly criticizing palace life as stifling his wife's personality.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060310/en_afp/japanroyalprincemasakomexico_060310134831;_ylt=AqIvLY0ohX1V7v6oWEb0rfIXO7gF;_ylu=X3oDMTA5bGVna3NhBHNlYwNzc3JlbA--

Yesterday I read in a review that Masako is not liked in Japan on account of her "very strange" personality. She was said to be tactless and selfish, cancelling innumerable engagements, etc. It was also claimed that she had just got a job as a diplomat because her father had connections to the foreign office and did not think her to be suited for such a job himself.
Has anybody ever heard about this?

Smilla said:
Yesterday I read in a review that Masako is not liked in Japan on account of her "very strange" personality. She was said to be tactless and selfish, cancelling innumerable engagements, etc. It was also claimed that she had just got a job as a diplomat because her father had connections to the foreign office and did not think her to be suited for such a job himself.
Has anybody ever heard about this?

I gather the press in Japan are doing a hatchet job on her in a lot of ways. The royal correspondents over there are very much constrained by what the IHA wants them to say, so I think it can be safely concluded that all this bad press is coming from the IHA via the royal correspondents in order to further marginalise Masako. Whether they're hoping for a divorce, or for her to collapse under the strain and commit suicide, or for the whole Crown Princely family to give up their royal status isn't clear. But obviously the Akishino family are the favoured ones where the IHA dinosaurs are concerned; the Crown Prince dared to speak out against the treatment his wife had received, and so that whole family is out of favour. No doubt hence the bad press and also no doubt hence the Kiko pregnancy. When that boy is born, the Crown Princely couple will be pretty much irrelevant.

Elspeth said:
I gather the press in Japan are doing a hatchet job on her in a lot of ways. The royal correspondents over there are very much constrained by what the IHA wants them to say, so I think it can be safely concluded that all this bad press is coming from the IHA via the royal correspondents in order to further marginalise Masako. Whether they're hoping for a divorce, or for her to collapse under the strain and commit suicide, or for the whole Crown Princely family to give up their royal status isn't clear. But obviously the Akishino family are the favoured ones where the IHA dinosaurs are concerned; the Crown Prince dared to speak out against the treatment his wife had received, and so that whole family is out of favour. No doubt hence the bad press and also no doubt hence the Kiko pregnancy. When that boy is born, the Crown Princely couple will be pretty much irrelevant.

I agree. Masako is still widely popular with the people, though, judging from the recent numerous coverages of Masako, Naruhito, and Aiko, especially with Aiko starting school. Perhaps these leaks and bad press are meant to deflect this family's popularity. Too bad if this is true. I would have thought that Naruhito's "outburst" in 2004 is water under the bridge. And after all, whether or not a boy is born to Akishino and Kiko, Naruhito will still be emperor after Akihito. It does send a signal that this fact doesn't matter to the IHA, if it's behind this press attack.

Last edited:
Charlotte - I find your post both interesting and somewhat alarming. Interesting in that this has been a recognized phenomenon but alarming in that, if schools have been established to help returnees, why wasn't Masako's family/the Imperial Family aware of the risks that might be involved for her? It takes time to establish schools so I assume you mean these have existed for at least the past 15 years which would encompass the time prior to Masako even entering the courtship with Naruhito. And you would think going from great personal and intellectual freedom to such an ultra conservative institution as the Imperial Family would set off alarm bells for her parents, at the very least, because they are "out and about" in the world. Was it really duty/sacrifice for the "We" vs. the "I", did she have social ambitions herself (clearly no one is perfect even though I am not into blaming the victim, either), was it truly love for Naruhito -- what was it that really made her get into this? I'd love to know. I have great empathy for this woman, though. I probably said this point too much already but my hope is that this trip will allow her not only freedom and rest, but the chance to connect with some of her western crown princess counterparts. I should think communicating with them would provide a window, however small, through which she can breathe western air, ideas, freedom -- the things she grew up with.

Re: the marriage of Naruhito and Masako: IIRC he asked her several times to marry him and she refused. I think he was able to convince her that he would care for her and protect her from the IHA (and even any members of his own family who might overstep and cause problems). Naturally as we've all seen with so many royal and noble couples over the years, ultimately no-one knows what a particular marriage is like except the two people involved. I definitely think they're a love match but as someone said, for Masako it had to be a stunning change from almost unlimited freedom to great restrictions. The whole succession thing can't have made life any easier for her. Naruhito deserves a lot of credit for the way he has stood by his wife. I dearly dearly hope she can recover from her illness and be allowed to pursue a more "modern" role in Japan. I think she could be a lot like Rania of Jordan in the sense of being publically involved in many worthwhile issues, and that would help the whole Japanese royal family. It's great to see them all out together-Aiko is SO CUTE!

I saw some articles saying that some of the Japanese were upset that Masako went on a private trip overseas and I was really irritated and mad. They need to give her a break! Her sister-in-law is about to give birth to a possible male child that Masako herself was pressured--but was unable--to have. The pressure on her is even worse now. She needs the time and distance away from the situation.

Moonlightrhapsody said:
I saw some articles saying that some of the Japanese were upset that Masako went on a private trip overseas and I was really irritated and mad. They need to give her a break! Her sister-in-law is about to give birth to a possible male child that Masako herself was pressured--but was unable--to have. The pressure on her is even worse now. She needs the time and distance away from the situation.

I don't understand why some people got upset that the family took a vacation;the primary purpose was to help Masako recover. Nobody wants a sick Crown Princess. How would she be able to do official duties then, among other things?

I'm very happy that the other royal families got to spend time with them. Hope we can give pictures or articles later on. Thanks for the translation, Mandyy.

Back
Top Bottom