Crown Princess Masako Current Events Part 1: July 2005 - April 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Masako on the mend as she turns 42

Crown Princess Masako, marking her 42nd birthday today, said she is recovering from the stress-related disorder that has kept her from public view for most of the past two years.
"Thankfully, I am gradually getting better and have been able to attend little by little public events," she said in a written statement to mark the occasion. Masako has rarely been seen in public since the office of the Crown Prince's Household of the Imperial Household Agency announced in December 2003 that she would take a rest from official duties. The office said in July 2004 that she was suffering from an adjustment disorder.......
http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-asahi/TKY200512090209.html

This is good news indeed! The family looks wonderful and I hope CP Masako continues to recover. She is blessed with a very supportive husband. I've been most impressed with his unwavering loyalty to his wife. And, while this has been excruciatingly difficult for CP Masako, perhaps she has given a higher profile to the issues of stress and depression--and thus will help others by destigmatizing these problems.

I cant wait until she comes back on the scene. She is so smart and I hate how the imperial traditions and household hold her back. I wish they would become much more liberal and modern. She could be one of the greatest ambassadors for Japan. If they would modernize she could become one of the greatest Empress Consorts in japanese history. I wonder if she regrets getting married to the imperial prince. I hope they dont divorce. She gave up so much for love I wish the monarchy would give up a little for her.

Nicely put. I couldn't agree more. I wonder if her husband will make major changes once he becomes emperor. Although in some royal households, I wonder who "rules" who; the courtiers or the royals???:confused:

Princejonnhy25 said:
I cant wait until she comes back on the scene. She is so smart and I hate how the imperial traditions and household hold her back. I wish they would become much more liberal and modern. She could be one of the greatest ambassadors for Japan. If they would modernize she could become one of the greatest Empress Consorts in japanese history. I wonder if she regrets getting married to the imperial prince. I hope they dont divorce. She gave up so much for love I wish the monarchy would give up a little for her.

Princejonnhy25 said:
I think her first battle to win is to get her daughter the throne.

Attachments

• kyodowc024966.jpg
    kyodowc024966.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 697
  • 20060101-00000028-nnn-soci-thumb-001.jpg
    20060101-00000028-nnn-soci-thumb-001.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 727
Last edited:
Princess's plight: Masako's doctors emphasize that a change in her public duties is needed.

This is the second in a series on issues and topics facing Japan's imperial family.
Bending her knees, Crown Princess Masako lowered herself to eye-level with the underprivileged children and smiled.
One by one, she looked them in the eye and spoke softly. Some of the children displayed a bit of nervousness, unused to such undivided attention from an adult, let alone a real live princess.
This event in November, a festival put on by children living in orphanages in the Tokyo metropolitan area, was Masako's first solo public appearance for an official duty outside her residence in two years.
Soon, the children looked as cheerful as the crown princess.
"Compared to the way she looked at the same event three years ago, she looked more relaxed and confident," said Hiroshi Ohashi, president of the Japan Welfare and Cultural Association, which organized the festival. "My impression was that Princess Aiko's healthy growth has helped her recover."
Masako also appeared in high spirits in mid-October when she and Crown Prince Naruhito welcomed Daniel Pauly, director of the Fisheries Center of the University of British Columbia, at their residence in the Akasaka Estate.
They discussed a variety of topics concerning child-rearing, said Pauly, who was in Japan to receive the International Cosmos Prize for his work on marine resources management.
These accounts offer a rare glimpse into how Masako has been faring in recent months.
Public interest in her health condition has drastically increased since December 2003, when the Imperial Household Agency said Masako would stop making public appearances because of stress and fatigue.
The agency later announced the princess was suffering from an adjustment disorder.
Speculation was rife that the princess was under too much pressure to have a baby boy. Others blamed the schedule and nature of her official duties. And Naruhito publicly cited in 2004 "developments that denied her career ... as well as her personality driven by her career."
Marking her 42nd birthday on Dec. 9, Masako emphasized in a written statement that her health has gradually improved, enabling her to start making public appearances. She also expressed gratitude to other members of the imperial family for their constant support. After her public appearances last year, the prevailing view was that Masako was indeed recovering, although the Imperial Household Agency had provided very little official information on her condition. Doctors' surprise message............................
http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-asahi/TKY200601030094.html

#1: Asahi news

Attachments

• TKY200601030093.jpg
    TKY200601030093.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 1,180
Last edited by a moderator:
Cover Story/ Royal allure:Japanese love brand-name products, and nothing has a greater cachet than the imperial family.

This is the fifth part of a series on issues and topics facing the imperial family.
Mao Komuro was searching an Internet bookshop looking for some bedtime reading for her 18-month-old daughter when a blurb stopped her in her tracks. "Crown Princess Masako's favorite," trumpeted the entry for "Goodnight Moon," by U.S. children's writer Margaret Wise Brown.
Although Komuro was unfamiliar with the title, the Masako connection was almost spellbinding--she had to have the book.
Komuro, a 33-year-old Tokyo homemaker, said: "I was under the impression that since our daughter enjoyed Aiko's favorites, she would enjoy Masako's favorite, too."
She said that over the past year she's developed an appreciation for products favored by Masako's daughter, Princess Aiko. Before that, she had no particular feelings for the imperial family one way or another, she said.
When she saw Brown's book, she thought of how much her baby enjoyed the same picture book that TV news-variety shows said Crown Princess Masako had read many times to Aiko.
Then, there were the cute animal slippers Komuro picked up in a children's clothing shop, whose tag bragged "Aiko's favorite."
Komuro next signed her little girl up for a calisthenics class. These classes became de rigueur for many moms after the toddler princess was seen dancing in video footage aired by news-variety shows. Brown's book turned out to be a disappointment when it arrived. Calling the purchase "a bad choice," Komuro said the illustrations were "somewhat drab" and the story was too difficult for a toddler...............
http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-asahi/TKY200601060133.html

Guess who's not coming to dinner. . .

Last Dec. 23 was Emperor Akihito's 72nd birthday, and Japan's Constitutional monarch was occupied with a flurry of activities at the Imperial Palace, such as a traditional birthday ceremony known as the "Tenchosai." From 5:00 pm, the Emperor greeted some 30 illustrious guests at a tea party, including author Hiroyuki Agawa and former ambassador to the U.S. Nobuo Matsunaga.

http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/waiwai/news/20060121p2g00m0dm011000c.html

So much potential, I cant wait until she comes back after the Parliament changes the succesion laws and does a "in your face, I won" comeback.

Well, you're assuming she wants Aiko to be Empress. Considering what the constraints of royal life have done to her, I'm not sure that's a safe assumption. She might want her daughter to be able to get out of the straitjacket into a more normal life like Princess Sayako did.

Princess trapped by palace guard
When Japan's Crown Prince Naruhito finally persuaded Masako Owada to marry him in June 1993, most people in the nation were delighted.
Princess Masako was a beautiful, multi-lingual career diplomat who had travelled the world. But a decade later, the fairytale has turned sour.......................
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/3939179.stm

Without an heir, is divorce in the air for sad princess?
Princess Masako is so weighed down by the demands of imperial life that she wants a divorce, according to the Japanese press, as opposition grows against plans to allow her child, Princess Aiko, to sit on the Chrysanthemum Throne.
Several magazines say that, after 13 unhappy years in the Imperial Palace, the Harvard-educated former diplomat is looking for a way out of her marriage to Emperor Akihito's son, Crown Prince Naruhito. The Imperial Household dismisses the speculation.....................
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/asia/article343104.ece

Last edited:
I think it's wonderful that Masako is doing much better. I agree she has so much to offer. And Japan probably needs the "younger" royal couple to represent them, especially to appeal to the younger people of Japan. I wish her all the best.

Princejohnny25 said:

Not just the monarchy but their courtiers. Its so sad what happened to Crown PM, she has effectively been 'crushed' by an outdated courters who needs to move with the modern times. She's an intelligent lady with alot to offer. They should back of. As for if she regrets marrying the prince - probably not she obviously loves him. But i don't know how much more she can take.

Thanx for the articles Mandyy - its very worrying all that divorce talk. Once the rumours start they're hard to stop. Are there many reports on this subject? Do you think they will divorce?

Good to see her recovering though.

On another board, there are reports that Princess KIko is pregnant. If it is a boy, Masako will have a lot of pressure removed. It makes me wonder how much pressure was also put on poor Princess Kiko - she is 39 and her two daughters are getting big. here is the article link
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4688056.stm

almab said:
On another board, there are reports that Princess KIko is pregnant. If it is a boy, Masako will have a lot of pressure removed. It makes me wonder how much pressure was also put on poor Princess Kiko - she is 39 and her two daughters are getting big. here is the article link
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4688056.stm

I am shocked by this news and wonder what it will do to Masako's health. Those two princely families don't get along and it makes me wonder what the motivation is for the pregnancy. Akishino and Kiko are both older and it has been a long while since they have had children.

i'm so sad for masako. now that she was recovering, this news won't help her at all. if kiko has a boy, aiko's chances to be future empress will lower and i'm pretty sure masako will fall into depression again. she is in her forties, so the possibilities of having another son are not many. i don't think it was a nice gesture from akishino and kiko to have a baby now, in such a delicate situation.

carlota said:
i'm so sad for masako. now that she was recovering, this news won't help her at all. if kiko has a boy, aiko's chances to be future empress will lower and i'm pretty sure masako will fall into depression again. she is in her forties, so the possibilities of having another son are not many. i don't think it was a nice gesture from akishino and kiko to have a baby now, in such a delicate situation.

I agree completely with what you say -- those thoughts are on my mind as well - as you can probably tell from my first post. This news makes me very sad.

There is a small part of me that wonders that she might be happy about this. For all the suffering that she went through and the fact that her daughter would be taken away to start Empress school. I really wonder if she might be happy if they have a son and she will be able to raise her daughter in peace (or as close to it as she can get).

Oppie said:
There is a small part of me that wonders that she might be happy about this. For all the suffering that she went through and the fact that her daughter would be taken away to start Empress school. I really wonder if she might be happy if they have a son and she will be able to raise her daughter in peace (or as close to it as she can get).

I was just reading the comments on the GREMB and began to wonder the same thing.... that just maybe, Masako would be happy to raise a child free from the tight constraints of her own life. Certainly Masako has no illusions about the plusses and minuses or court life vs. private life. But I also wonder what would happen to their family? Would Aiko really have many freedoms? She would still be the daughter of an Emperor/Empress and would have to observe many traditions/rituals? Obviously she wouldn't have to study to be the "Empress" but still, how ritual bound would her life be? There would always be the possibility that something could happen to the baby boy (if that is what it is) and then the succession problem would re-surface. Unless Naruhito gives up the throne to his brother, in the event his brother has an heir, (which I would imagine is very unlikely) it seems Masako's life is still going to be one tightly controlled by the Imperial Household Agency and, to a large extent, that Aiko's will be controlled too.

Emily said:
I was just reading the comments on the GREMB and began to wonder the same thing.... that just maybe, Masako would be happy to raise a child free from the tight constraints of her own life. Certainly Masako has no illusions about the plusses and minuses or court life vs. private life. But I also wonder what would happen to their family? Would Aiko really have many freedoms? She would still be the daughter of an Emperor/Empress and would have to observe many traditions/rituals? Obviously she wouldn't have to study to be the "Empress" but still, how ritual bound would her life be? There would always be the possibility that something could happen to the baby boy (if that is what it is) and then the succession problem would re-surface. Unless Naruhito gives up the throne to his brother, in the event his brother has an heir, (which I would imagine is very unlikely) it seems Masako's life is still going to be one tightly controlled by the Imperial Household Agency and, to a large extent, that Aiko's will be controlled too.

So true - unless both brothers have the strength to throw of the IHA - it seems that every member of that family is trapped by that agency. So old fashioned and so out of touch - unbelievable.

mandyy said:
You can take a look at this post I wrote earlier that I don't think they'll divorce
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/353633-post59.html

THANX FOR THE LINK.

mandyy said:
I don't think Prince Naruhito and Princess Masako would divorce because seen from the new years video they were talking happily and having a wonderful time with Princess Aiko. And also, Princess Aiko is going to start kindergarten this April, I don't think Princess Masako would want a divorce in such a critical period when Aiko is starting her education. Masako just wanted to spend more time with Aiko and balance her duties with time taking care of her daughter. I think the Imperial Household Agency should allow her to do more official visits abroad and allow her to use her linguistic and diplomatic skills more frequently. This would give Masako chances to apply her own skill in a more useful way just like continuing her former career as a diplomat."

But the issue here is would they? Probably not poor Masako - i bet she REALLY regrets marrying into that family.
36_19_5.gif
Its also Aiko's future that i worry about. Will she EVER be able to live her own life or will she always be a PRISONER of the IHA? A puppet under their control!!!!

Unless things change, when I doubt and based upon my little known of knowledge of the IHA: I think Aiko will be a prisoner so to speak of the IHA until she marries, and than like her aunt, she will leave the Imperial Family.

Zonk1189 said:
Unless things change, when I doubt and based upon my little known of knowledge of the IHA: I think Aiko will be a prisoner so to speak of the IHA until she marries, and than like her aunt, she will leave the Imperial Family.

It all sounds incredibly sad.:( Poor Princess Masako, Prince Naruhito and Princess Aiko.

When you see Naruhito on an official engagement alone, is Masako not present because that is her choice or because she has been told by the IHA that she's too stressed to accompany her husband. Hope this doesn't sound like a silly question, but I have always wondered who makes that decision. Although I think I already know the answer. It seems like the best thing for her would be to get out and about. Are they forcing her to stay in?

Emmily said:
When you see Naruhito on an official engagement alone, is Masako not present because that is her choice or because she has been told by the IHA that she's too stressed to accompany her husband. Hope this doesn't sound like a silly question, but I have always wondered who makes that decision. Although I think I already know the answer. It seems like the best thing for her would be to get out and about. Are they forcing her to stay in?

We don't know if Masako is really ill or if the IHA is deciding that she is too ill to accompany Naruhito. For that matter, we don't know for how long the IHA has been playing this little game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom