Crown Princess Masako Current Events Part 1: July 2005 - April 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: Unfortunately, CP Masako will no longer attend Thursday's National Red Cross Convention due to cold symptoms, slight fever, and swollen tonsils. According to IHA, she very much looked forward to attending and is very sorry to cancel.

Source: Asahi

Understandable yet disappointing. Asahi actually listed Masako on their Imperial schedule this week; I hadn't seen that before.

ETA: Jiji reported tonsil swelling from the night of the 23rd with high fever on the morning of the 24th.

Last edited:
CP Masako turned 54 on December 9th. Official birthday photos and video were taken on December 5th. The CP couple are looking at data on "Week of Persons with Disabilities in Fiscal Year 2017" in the video/photo.

Asahi, Sankei, Sankei 2
Heisei 29 Crown Princess Birthday (photo) - Imperial Household Agency

The medical team focused on returns to events she's been long absent such as the Florence Nightingale Insignia ceremony in August and the Tree Growing Festival in November. Multi-day trips to Akita, Nara, Kyoto, and Kochi Prefectures were achieved as well as continued appearances at state visit welcomes, banquets, and garden parties. Her medical team is preparing for the year and a half before CP Naruhito becomes Emperor. [Sankei, Sankei 2]

Japan's crown princess vows efforts as her succession to empress looms - The Mainichi
Crown Princess Masako, who has been long struggling with depression, vowed on the occasion of her 54th birthday Saturday continued effort to fulfill her duties as she is now set to become Japan's empress in May 2019.

"When I think about the future, I feel a sobering sense of awe," the crown princess said in a prepared statement, referring to the previous day's Cabinet decision setting April 30, 2019 as day Emperor Akihito will relinquish the Chrysanthemum throne.

[...]

"Following Their Majesties of the Emperor and Empress as my guide, I will step up efforts to be able to fulfill my duties while supporting his Imperial Highness" Crown Prince Naruhito, she said.

The Harvard- and Oxford-educated former diplomat is still suffering from stress-related illness, but has shown signs of recovery in recent years by appearing in public more frequently.

According to the Imperial Household Agency, Crown Princess Masako took part in 64 public duties and imperial rites that required she leave her residence over the past year, the most since 2012 when such data became available.

This year, the crown princess attended both of the biannual imperial garden parties and traveled to regional cities six times.

"I am thankful and glad that things that I can perform increased gradually," the crown princess said.

In 2004, the Imperial Household Agency said that the crown princess was diagnosed with adjustment disorder.

According to her medical team, the crown princess is on the way to recovery but her condition still has ups and downs. Noting that excessive expectations could pressure the crown princess, the team sought the public's understanding and support for her health as attention will likely grow going forward over how she will respond to becoming the empress.

[...]

"I would like to pay my heartfelt respects and gratitude to the past conduct" by the imperial couple, said Crown Princess Masako.

She also said she was "deeply grateful" for the imperial couple's "warm support" and the opportunity to learn from them for years.

Looking back over the past year, the crown princess expressed sympathy for those affected by natural disasters, including the widespread flooding in the southwestern main island of Kyushu in July, as well as those still enduring hardship caused by huge March 2011 earthquake and tsunami in northeastern Japan.

As to her only child Princess Aiko, the crown princess said the 16-year-old seems to be enjoying high school with her friends. "I want her to make various experiences and grow further while keeping in mind the importance of having a grateful and caring heart."

[...]
ETA: Fixing video links

Last edited:
According to news24.jp, CP Masako is scheduled to attend New Year's Lectures (Ceremony of the Kousho Hajime) on January 10th for the first time in 15 years.

She is not scheduled to attend New Year's Poetry Reading (Ceremony of the Utakai Hajime) on the 12th.

Screenshots of her last appearance at New Year's Lectures in 2003:
https://uploads.disquscdn.com/image...09c9a13fb68c6e2377bc53adf8a18a47022698477.png
https://uploads.disquscdn.com/image...48c4f790088d04d19e5588ec6394135da8be7e9ee.png

ETA: English report at Princess Masako to attend event | Nippon TV NEWS24 JAPAN

Last edited:
Crown Princess Masako hopes to inherit Imperial sericulture tradition | The Japan Times
[...]

Crown Prince Naruhito, Crown Princess Masako and Princess Aiko [...] are set to visit the Imperial Palace [...] on Sunday, when they will view a sericulture facility at the palace with the Imperial couple, the sources said.

[...] an aide to Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako [...] met with the Empress late last month at the Imperial Palace, and informed her of the Crown Princess’ hope to succeed in the sericulture tradition.

The Empress explained how silkworms are being raised to the aide, who then viewed the sericulture facility at the Imperial Palace, the sources said.

[...]

The Empress apparently thinks that Crown Princess Masako, who is in the process of recovering her health, may become involved with sericulture.

In May next year silkworms in the Imperial Palace will be taken care of by Imperial Household Agency officials because a series of events related to Crown Prince Naruhito’s ascent to the throne are scheduled during that month, according to the sources.
Mainichi.jp google translates Michiko's thoughts as "The Empress thinks that sericulture should be done to the extent possible so that it will not become a mental burden of Masako."

Last edited:
Crown Princess Masako turns 55 on December 9.

IHA release photos and video taken on December 4th. CP Naruhito and CP Masako are looking at books and photos about high school baseball. They attended the 100th Japanese High School Baseball Championship in August.

Mainichi, Sankei 1, Sankei 2, Asahi 1, Asahi 2, AFPBB galleries

Her birthday statement mentioned being thankful for the Emperor and Empress' guidance and care, wishing them a restful retirement. She also expressed concern about an increase in child abuse cases in Japan, domestic and international natural disasters, poverty, global warming, and environmental pollution. She hopes the Rugby World Cup in 2019, Olympics and Paralympics in 2020, and World Expo in Osaka in 2025 will deepen understanding and exchange between Japan and the world.

Masako's range of public activities has increased: regional visits, New Year's lecture, annual Red Cross conference, and full-length of the autumn garden party. Sankei reports Masako participated in 14 lectures given by ministries and agencies, doubled from 7 the previous year.

The medical team also supports private visits to boost confidence. In early October, Kage-e (cut-out) artist Seiji Fujishiro revealed CP Masako and CP Naruhito visited his exhibition in Ginza. Masako has long interacted with Mr. Fujishiro. She brought Aiko to see his art in 2002. [Asahi]

Crown princess vows to serve for people ahead of imperial succession - The Mainichi
[...]

"I want to devote myself to the happiness of the people so I will make an effort to that end while gaining more experience," the crown princess, who has long been battling a stress-induced illness, said in a statement.

In the statement released by the Imperial Household Agency, the crown princess said she is "filled with deep emotions and feels nostalgic" about her birthday this year being the last one in the current Heisei era.

[...]

The crown princess expressed her gratitude for the emperor and Empress Michiko, noting that the imperial couple "warmly welcomed me and generously continued guiding and watching over us" since her marriage to the crown prince was decided about 26 years ago.

Referring to the imperial couple's new life after the succession, the crown princess said, "I wish from the bottom of my heart (the imperial couple) will unwind from their busy life and spend peaceful days."

[...]

"I am delighted at the fact that I can perform more duties than before as I have tried to improve my physical condition," she said.

But her doctors warned in a separate statement that it is important she continue receiving the same treatment as she remains vulnerable to fatigue especially after a large ceremony or successive duties.

Her medical team said her participation in a number of events this year added to her confidence but her physical condition became unstable at times. Noting that excessive expectations could pressure her, the team sought public understanding and support ahead of a spate of important events next year.

Looking back over the past year, the crown princess said it felt "painful" that many people lost their lives in natural disasters such as torrential rains in western Japan in July and a powerful earthquake in Hokkaido in September.

Touching on her visit in September to the southwestern city of Asakura, Fukuoka Prefecture, which was hit hard by the deadly rains, "I am sincerely hoping for steady reconstruction so that people affected by the disaster can live with security as soon as possible."

[...]

Last edited:
CP Masako visited the Imperial Palace to greet the Emperor and Empress on her 55th birthday on December 9th.

Getty Images, AP Images

No watermark: Jiji, Kyodo, Asahi

Turning 55, Crown Princess Masako vows to serve the people: The Asahi Shimbun
[...]

“Giving thought to the days ahead, I sometimes feel uneasy about to what extent I will be able to be of service to people, but I will strive to do my best so that I can contribute to their happiness,” Masako said in a statement released by the Imperial Household Agency to mark her 55th birthday on Dec. 9.

[...]

A team of doctors treating her warned in a separate statement issued in time for her birthday that Masako “is still on the recovery track and there are ups and downs to her condition.”

[...]

Masako said, “I will continue to work for my recovery and strive to do my best in performing as many official duties as possible.”

[... article lists public appearance highlights ...]

On the private front, she and Naruhito visited the exhibition of Seiji Fujishiro, a shadow picture artist, in Tokyo’s Ginza district incognito in early October. Masako, who looked relaxed and comfortable, gazed at an array of his works as the 94-year-old artist explained about them to the couple.

The crown princess has known Fujishiro for many years. She took Aiko [...] to one of his exhibitions when she was still little.

“The crown princess is a person who tries to be her regular self,” the artist said, in describing Masako. “She appeared to be in hearty good health.”

Her doctors also stressed the importance of expanding her private activities, as well, for her continued recovery.

Psychiatrist Kaoru Sakamoto said adjustment disorder is an illness that people who are working hard to adjust to their environment are more prone to suffer from, despite the popular belief that it's people who cannot adjust to their surroundings who often fall victim.

“Anyone can be affected by adjustment disorder,” he said. “I am hoping that people will shake off their prejudice against the illness and support her fight” to overcome it.

[...]

In her statement, Masako also touched on social problems such as child abuse and poverty that she personally takes an interest in, saying people now live in a time that each should give serious consideration to realizing a society where all people can live without fear.

Masako is looking really wonderful in both these sets of photos. It was also good to read her thoughts on the upcoming changes in her life, and of her desire to serve the Japanese people. You can only wish her well, and hope that she receives the support she needs to progress.

Support from Aiko, public behind Masako’s new confidence: The Asahi Shimbun
[...]

However, during the past year, the crown princess appeared at many events she had skipped since she went under medical treatment in 2003.

[...]

A key factor behind her recuperation and more active public life is the growth of Aiko, who turned 17 on Dec. 1, according to a source close to the family.

Aiko, along with Naruhito, appears to have become one of the closest and most reassuring sources of emotional support for Masako.

Conversations in the family have become more like those among adults than between parents and their children, the source said.

Aiko attended summer school last year at Eton College in Britain. In autumn, she was part of a dance team during a school festival at Gakushuin Girls’ Senior High School, where she also put on an impressive performance as an emcee, the source said.

During a stay at an imperial villa last summer, Aiko appeared poised and confident as she responded to questions from the media, a sign of how she has grown into a mature adult her family could depend on.

[...]

In a statement released on her birthday, Masako noted that the encouraging remarks she has received from the public during her tours to provincial areas and on other occasions have been a “major support” for her.

“More often than not, the words I hear from people feel so intimate to me,” she said in the statement. “I am also so grateful for the cordial remarks I received from many people during the garden party."

During the autumn imperial garden party in November, she walked the full route for the first time in 15 years and conversed with many of the guests.

Masako’s schedule in September was something of a surprise for reporters covering the Imperial Household Agency.

She visited Fukuoka Prefecture on an overnight trip to a community impacted by the northern Kyushu downpours in July 2017, and attended the International Youth Conference in Tokyo the following day.

Imperial Household Agency officials, out of fear of exacerbating her exhaustion, had previously never assigned Masako to go out to perform an official duty following an overnight provincial tour.

The team of doctors for the crown prince’s household, who are responsible for Masako’s treatment, said in a statement released on her birthday that her steady completion of one goal after another has allowed her to regain self-confidence and further broaden the scope of her endeavors.

[...]

Very encouraging news. Masako deserves happiness and contentment.

Nice to see Masako is doing better and better with the support from her family.

It's wonderful to see that Masako is at the point where she is able to draw support and encouragement from others, as opposed to feeling additionally pressured by other's concern. That's a huge step forward. In addition, it seems as though Aiko is past whatever health issues it was that she faced a few years ago and that may have also helped Masako. There's nothing like the stress a parent feels when a much loved child is struggling, so Aiko doing better probably directly and indirectly helped in Masako's recovery.

Time to close this thread. The new one can be found here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom