Crown Prince Naruhito and Family: News & Photos 2

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you 100%. Masako is an extraordinarily interesting and beautiful woman and one whom, to me, at least, is a paragon of grace and dignity. I think that she should seek help for her problems, though. Her depression may be the result of her genetic makeup, and, in that case, she could be prescribed an anti-depressive medication. Also, a good therapist can do wonders. I really think if she sought help she'd find some measure of relief from such a horrible sickness which has isolated her so much from the rest of the world.

Well, it's an awful way to do it, but if this finally creates a public-opinion backlash against the IHA system that's basically keeping the imperial family in luxurious enslavement, that'll at least be one good outcome. I hope the IHA doesn't retaliate against Naruhito by trying to make his life more of a problem than it already is, because he was doing the humane and natural thing by trying to fulfill his promise to protect his wife.

Those dinosaurs must really think that people don't have memories. This stuff is getting out into the popular press, and people are seeing that the IHA has hounded and bullied a popular princess - who had misgivings about the whole setup for this very reason in the first place - just because she isn't the sort of person they happen to find convenient. Now they're suggesting that Naruhito dump her like damaged goods in favour of a more promising baby-maker. I hope the public over there is as outraged as people are in the west who are reading about this appalling treatment.

Originally posted by grecka@Aug 5th, 2004 - 4:58 pm
Her depression may be the result of her genetic makeup,
While I have not seen Masako's medical history or those of her parents or other relatives, I don't think that in Masako's case her depression is the result of a family history of it. It seems very clear that Masako's depression is the result of her environment and a lack of support and extreme pressure brought on the imperial court. Many women, too, experience depression when they fail to conceive. In Masako's case, the depression may be worse because a whole nation is expecting her to produce a second, male child.

and, in that case, she could be prescribed an anti-depressive medication.

As Japan is an Asian country, I doubt that Masako would use an anti-depressive. I know that it is common in North America, but in Asian countries I think that likely herbal remedies will be used, and certainly preferred to anti-depressives.

Interesting article. Thanks for posting!

It sounds as though, far from protecting the monarchy, the dinosaurs at IHA are turning it into a total irrelevance as far as the majority of the Japanese people are concerned. If they carry on like that for too much longer, they'll have put themselves out of a job.

I wonder if this stuff about Princess aiko having a developmental disorder is just misinformation to try and get the public to decide they don't want her as the heir to the throne. If that's what's going on, it would be an act of cynical cruelty - not that that'd be so surprising, given the whole setup there.

Bubbette said:
I'm sorry--has *anyone* ever heard of "adjustment disorder!"

Yes, it means she can't adjust to being a slave. *sarcasim* sorry I just think the IHA are .....let me refrain from saying.

Last edited:
As Japan is an Asian country, I doubt that Masako would use an anti-depressive. I know that it is common in North America, but in Asian countries I think that likely herbal remedies will be used, and certainly preferred to anti-depressives.[/QUOTE]

That's good to hear. I'm very much against the use of drugs to take care of emotional problems. Her problems probably stem from the IHA & the pressure they put on her. I'll bet if the IHA treated their royals like the Europeans do, she would not have this "depression". Her cure will come when they allow her to be a real person & grant her (and the rest of the roylas) the freedom she deserves.

I mean at the very least they should be able to have control of their finances & property not to meantion they should have final approval on appearences etc.

Personally I think that Japan's Human Rights people should look at this situation. It is positively Neolithic to treat this lovely young woman like this. The last time I looked it was unlawful to deprive someone of their liberty whether she is a commoner or a Crown Princess.
I hope Narihito has enough backbone to stand up to these dinosaurs who need to remember that if there was no imperial family they would not have a job!

Also, if they have so much power surely it was their predecessors who were to blame for the atrocities committed in the name of Emporer Hirohito during World War II.

Well, it was probably the military leaders who had the final say, but no doubt it was the IHA rather than the Emperor giving the lead from the palace.

The link that Stacy provided was really depressing reading. All those journalists knowing at least something of what was going on but not reporting it because they feel a need to apply deference and optimism in their approach to the royal family. My husband said when he was in Japan for a few months that the Japanese really admire the West of the 1950s; this may be why the female royals are reduced to decorative appendages and the press is complicit.

I really hope those rumours about Princess Aiko aren't true.

wymanda said:
Personally I think that Japan's Human Rights people should look at this situation. It is positively Neolithic to treat this lovely young woman like this. The last time I looked it was unlawful to deprive someone of their liberty whether she is a commoner or a Crown Princess.
I hope Narihito has enough backbone to stand up to these dinosaurs who need to remember that if there was no imperial family they would not have a job!

Also, if they have so much power surely it was their predecessors who were to blame for the atrocities committed in the name of Emporer Hirohito during World War II.

I doubt if the IHA would allow Human Rights to intrude.

This is really tragic! I have a great dislike for any society that treats women as little more than baby making machines and second rate citizens. Maybe the both of them should just leave Japan and live their lives somewhere else in peace.

mgrant said:
I doubt if the IHA would allow Human Rights to intrude.

This is really tragic! I have a great dislike for any society that treats women as little more than baby making machines and second rate citizens. Maybe the both of them should just leave Japan and live their lives somewhere else in peace.

Considering the imperial family has no personal fortune or property, do not officially exist - they don't have birth certificates - and need the permision of the IHA to travel anywhere - I'm not sure they could leave the country even if they wanted to

Last edited:
"An American woman who helped draft the women's rights articles of the postwar Japanese Constitution says Princess Aiko, the daughter of Crown Prince Naruhito and Princess Masako, "has full rights to the throne." Beate Sirota Gordon, a former civilian aide to the supreme commander of the Allied Powers, Gen Douglas MacArthur, suggested in a letter to the New York Times on Thursday that she shares the view of Japanese legal scholars and elected officials that the Imperial House Law, which came into force in 1947, is unconstitutional. The law flouted the postwar Constitution banning discrimination in political matters based on gender and limited the throne to "male offspring," she wrote. (Kyodo News)"

"To the Editor:

In "A Princess's Distress Pierces Japan's Veil of Secrecy" (news article, Aug. 7), you say: "In 2001, Princess Masako gave birth to a girl, Aiko, who according to law cannot ascend the throne."

In fact, there have been a number of Japanese empresses in Japanese history. But the 1889 Meiji Constitution ignored tradition and limited the throne to "male descendants." The 1947 Japanese Constitution states: "Laws shall be enacted from the standpoint of the essential equality of the sexes," and prohibits discrimination in political matters based on gender.

In 1948 the Japanese Parliament passed the Imperial House Law, which flouted the new Constitution and restricted the throne to "male offspring." Among Japanese legal scholars and elected officials, the law is widely considered unconstitutional. Princess Aiko has full rights to the throne.

Beate Sirota Gordon
New York, Aug. 7, 2004
The writer, a civilian aide to Gen. Douglas MacArthur, drafted the women's rights articles of the 1947 Japanese Constitution"

In 1948 the Japanese Parliament passed the Imperial House Law, which flouted the new Constitution and restricted the throne to "male offspring." Among Japanese legal scholars and elected officials, the law is widely considered unconstitutional. Princess Aiko has full rights to the throne.

Something tells me the dinosaurs aren't going to be impressed, particularly with worldwide feeling running against the American involvement in nation building in Iraq at present, so that they can manipulate people's feelings that the US is interfering in Japanese affairs. I hope there's some other way out of this particular mess, such as a majority feeling among the Japanese people that that law should be changed even if it is constitutional.

I'm still wondering where these reports of Aiko's alleged developmental dificulties are coming from. It would be very convenient for the IHA if that were true.

Masako to attend wedding in Brunei September 9, 2004

From www.hola.com - Parece ser que la princesa Masako ha experimentado una mejoría en su estado de salud. Según las informaciones de la Casa Imperial japonesa, la esposa de Naruhito, alejada de la vida pública desde el pasado mes de diciembre, reaparecerá en la boda del príncipe heredero de Brunei, Al-Muhtadee Billah, el próximo 9 de septiembre.

Great news that Masako has recovered well enough to attend functions. I am so happy for her!

masako.jpg

I look forward to seeing her at the Brunei wedding. She is one of the world royals I most admire, and I hope she's been able to overcome all her troubles. This is very good news!

I am looking forward to seeing her at the Brueni Royal Wedding. I am curious to know about Aiko's "developmental disorders." Does anyone have more details on that?

Do you know what Royal Ladies wear at Brunei Wedding?Hats or other traditional clothes?

I wonder whether the Imperial Household Agency is considering reforms at all or whether they hope that this sitatution will just blow over? Obviously it is not Masako alone who felt restricted and confined by the IHA's rules and formalities -- Emperess Michiko had a similar experience, too, didn't she?

Think how much more energy and time they are wasting trying to mould Masako and stifle her into something they want her to be rather than allowing her to just be herself? And Masako being herself would not have been a bad thing. Masako being herself by my impression would've been pretty impressive with her credentials, background and intelligence.

I'm sure they're not considering reforms (at least for themselves); that sort of hidebound upper-class bureaucrat never does. It's always everyboy else who needs to change. It seems to me that they're doing what they can to marginalise Masako, what with suggesting that Akishino should produce more children, that Aiko has some unspecified physical problem, that Naruhito might want to find himself a better wife because Masako is clearly incapacitated on a long-term basis and will be unable to carry out her duties as crown princess and then as Empress, that the Emperor and Empress don't like her, and all that good stuff. Intelligent and worldly women often do seem to pose a threat to this sort of dinosaur mentality that's out of all proportion to the real situation.

Masako visits Imperial Palace

Polfoto 04-09-2004 Japan's Crown Princess Masako smiles sitting next to his husband Crown Prince Naruhito in a car as they visit Imperial Palace in Tokyo to see Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko Saturday, Sept. 4, 2004. Masako, 40, who is recovering from a psychological disorder brought on by the pressure of royal life, left her residence for the first time in four months. (AP Photo/Japan Pool)

Masako looks really good!

Attachments

• AP487118_guest.jpg
    AP487118_guest.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 227
  • AP487119_guest.jpg
    AP487119_guest.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 276
  • AP487123_guest.jpg
    AP487123_guest.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 303
  • AP487156_guest.jpg
    AP487156_guest.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 273
It is great to see Masako for the first time in such a long time. She looks much better but still drained and tired in my opinion. It is nice however to see her smile.

yeh she still looks a little bit tired, but it's great to see her again after such a long time...

I hope that she'll recover from her depression soon, although it will take time...Let's hope that the things that caused the depression will change too...

It is so wonderful to see her out! :)

What? Who said that Aiko had developmental problems? She looks okay to me...

moosey60 said:
What? Who said that Aiko had developmental problems? She looks okay to me...
I am not saying that Princess Aiko does have developmental problems, but developmental problems are not necessarily evident physically. There can be learning, mental or psychological problems that do not surface physically but are undeniably still there.

True, true, but it's sad that people are speculating about a two-year old. Maybe she's just a serious little kid. Aw, and rumours about little Aiko are sure to put a dampener on Masako's (perhaps slightly regained) happiness.

I thought the IHA was behind those rumours. Can't remember where I read it, though.

This is a very sad situation. There is a large Japanese community in my city. Toyota and Honda have their North American headquarters here. When I have spoken to some of them, they are very sad about this situation. CP Masako is a well-educated and respected diplomat in her own right. You would think that the Royal Household would want to use that to their advantage! Instead, CP Masako and her husband, are placed in a situation that would have been typical of the Middle Ages in Europe! If only they would allow the young princess to be designated the heir and allow CP Masako the freedom to be herself again. Kudos to the Crown Prince for speaking up on her behalf. I do believe that he truly loves her deeply.

Masako and Naru`s home

Today was sunday in Tokyo so I went to see the imperial palace in the center of Tokyo-have not been there for ages. Well, though commoners only get to walk at the garden outside of the palace, I imagined Masako`s place inside of the guards watching eyes. Sure the palace lands must be vast beyond my imagination and I wished I could just peek in so I could say Hello to Masako, of course which is not possible. And I felt that though their houses are much bigger than the most of Japaneses, considering how restricted the royalties` outings were, it almost looked like a big cage-sure I could not get inside of the palace guards, but neither could Masako-she would not be free wondering to the streets of Tokyo. At least I am free to walk to whereever I want, and for some peculiar reasons, did not feel too much envy for the Crown Princess of my country. Indeed I admire her very much-and I guess the restriction of freedom is one thing one must swallow in order to be the future Empress, supposed to be the highest female position in my country.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom