Crown Prince Naruhito and Family: News & Photos 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Crown Princess's breakdown
sad-smiley-014.gif

Article :(

Poor thing. I just really can't imagine what it must be like for her, but it seems as though it must be tough. I'm sure that kind of pressure must be incredibly hard to handle.

She's been through so much, it seems to me that her husband and daughter are a tremendous amount of support to her.

It's really sad, and the problem is that it was fairly clear that this would happen right from the time they got engaged. It sounded as though she didn't want the marriage because of all the restrictions, and there have been reports that Empres Michiko also had a couple of breakdowns because of the way she was treated by the Household, being a commoner and not being used to the way the imperial family behaved. It must have been dreadfully hard for a woman who was nearly 30 and had a challenging job on the international stage to be restricted like this.

I think Masako loved Naruhito very much when they first met and became engaged, but I think the loss of autonomy and the limitations placed on her life have been hard on her. She seems to be someone who is quite independent, certainly before her marriage she was, and becoming part of the Imperial family has been a difficult transition for Masako.

Then the media scrutiny ofnot producing an heir after so many years of marriage took its own toll on the Princess' health physically, mentally and emtionally. She had the miscarriage (at least one to public knowledge) and then the subsequent birth of a daughter had its own "repercussions" that must've been exhausting for Masako to deal with.

I don't doubt that Aiko is loved by both of her parents (pictures of the family together are evidence of that), and everybody wishes for a healthy baby regardless of the sex of the baby, but perhaps Masako was a bit disappointed that Aiko was not a son. It certainly would've taken the pressure off of her. And now there is expectations again in Japan that she will have another child, hopefully a son to succeed her husband.

But Masako isn't getting younger, and while many women in this day and age are getting pregnant, there are more health risks for the mother and the baby. And also, it's not to say a second child might be a girl, too.

Masako has shown tremendous resilience throughout all the pressure. A less stronger person might've cracked under the pressure years ago.

Masako has shown tremendous resilience throughout all the pressure. A less stronger person might've cracked under the pressure years ago.

I completely agree :flower:

Before Masako and Naruhito were married in 1993 a trained monkey Tsurusuke appeared on Japanese tv and predicted that the couple would have three children, and that the first would be a girl. I don't believe in superstition, but I do hope that monkey is right and that one of the other two children will be a boy. :flower:

If Masako and Naruhito do (finally!) manage to bear a son, that will be wonderful news. However, what I really wish is that the law would be modified so that the firstborn can succeed, regardless of gender.

Source: CNN

Crown Princess Masako in seclusion

Friday, April 23, 2004 Posted: 2329 GMT (0729 HKT)

Crown Princess Masako leaves the Imperial hospital in Tokyo after being discharged December 8.

TOKYO, Japan (AP) -- Late last year, Crown Princess Masako announced she was exhausted and excused herself from royal duties. Last month, she took refuge in her family's summer home in a wooded mountain resort.

Officials say they do not know when she will return.

Intelligent, affable and cosmopolitan, Masako seemed the perfect addition to the world's oldest royal family when she wed Crown Prince Naruhito 11 years ago. But imperial duties have proved almost too much for her to bear -- and, experts say, her plight could bode ill for the Chrysanthemum Throne.

A flurry of reports in the tabloid press have noted it is unprecedented for the princess, who is with her mother and daughter, to stay at a private residence; that even her official attendants have limited access to her; and that although the prince has visited her twice, he spent much of his time in a hotel.

"Worries deepen over Princess Masako," said one typical report, in Shincho, a popular weekly magazine. "Is she really recovering?"

Despite all Masako has going for her, and her popularity with the public, she is plagued by a burden as old as the throne itself _ the duty to produce an imperial heir.

Masako, 40, and Naruhito, 44, had their only child, Princess Aiko, two years ago. An earlier pregnancy ended in a miscarriage, which the palace blamed largely on media attention.

Aiko's birth did little to ease the tension.

Under a post-World War II law, only males can assume the throne. There are no princes in the generation after Naruhito, whose younger brother has two daughters. Naruhito's only sister is 35 and says she has no immediate plans to marry.

With the likelihood fading that a boy will be born, the long-avoided topic of allowing a woman to assume the throne is under serious discussion. Proponents stress Japan has had reigning empresses -- albeit not since the late 1700s. Others point to Sweden, which changed its laws in 1979 so Crown Princess Victoria could succeed her father.

"There is simply no reason why we shouldn't allow a woman to reign," said opposition lawmaker Satsuki Eda. "I think it is a very good thing that we are able to discuss this issue, without worrying about taboos."

Masako's woes go deeper than the succession crisis.

Since the late Emperor Hirohito renounced the idea that he was a living god after Japan's defeat in 1945, the royal family has acted as a "symbol of the nation," handing out awards, observing imperial rites and greeting foreign dignitaries.

Educated at Harvard, Oxford and Japan's top university before becoming a career diplomat, Masako was seen as a natural for that role. And at a time when Princess Diana was enchanting crowds worldwide, it was hoped Masako would offer a little glitter to Japan's royal family.

That hasn't happened.

Masako has made only five trips overseas since her wedding. Her husband is expected to attend royal weddings in Denmark and Spain next month, but officials announced Friday that Masako will not be going.

Ken Ruoff, director of the Center for Japanese Studies at Portland State University, said Masako has been hemmed in by fears she could outshine her husband.

"It's just been extremely unclear what the crown princess and crown prince stand for," he said. "If they are not seen as lending their prestige to useful causes and just living selfish lives, there could be a reaction against the throne."

He noted that the couple remains popular.

"In some ways, the blandness is more in tune with what the Japanese expect than having a crown prince who is zipping around the archipelago in a sports car," Ruoff said.

Naruhito has been supportive of his wife.

"Although it may be some time before Princess Masako returns to her official duties, for my part, I will be by her side to offer encouragement, to give advice, and to do all I can to help her health improve," he said in February.

Masako

Link: CNN World

This is all so sad. The mother and daugther are such lovely people. The Japanese parliament needs to change that rule about having just men succeed. It is a dumb rule to begin with. "Fears she could oushine her husband". Dear lord. O, well. I wish her good health.

I am glad to hear that she returned but I am still worried that she isn't able to resume her official engagements yet. I hope from the bottom of my heart that everything will go well for her.. I really like her a lot and hopefully necessary changes have been made to make her life at the Imperial Court much easier to bear..

This is indeed very good news and I wish her all the best.

The princess indeed returned but it does not mean that her pressure is removed. I believe that as long as she is inside the palace, where supposed to be her own home, she has to live under a huge pressure. Poor princess. I am sorry to say this out loud, but I think she is very unhapppy being a aprt of the imperial family. 'Cause just think about it; if she is happy, she would somehow tolerate the pressure with the help of the husband. What is for sure is they are not really going to loosen up the law just for her, so she will have to keep suffering. I only hope it will not end up as some kind of disaster. I know everybody is hoping the best for her, though...

from http://seattlepi.nwsource.com

Japan's ailing princess returns to Tokyo
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

TOKYO -- Japan's Crown Princess Masako, who has complained about the pressures of royal life, returned to Togu Palace in Tokyo on Monday after spending a month in the mountains to recover from poor health, a spokesman said.

The princess still hasn't fully recovered and will need more rest before resuming her official duties, said Yasuo Moriyama, a spokesman for the Imperial Household Agency.

Moriyama said it was unclear when the princess would return to a normal schedule. He refused to discuss the nature of her illness.

Masako, 40, took refuge at her parents' resort home in the wooded mountain town of Karuizawa, about 75 miles northwest of Tokyo, on March 25. She stayed with her mother, Yumiko Owada, and her daughter, Aiko, while there. Crown Prince Naruhito and her father, Hisashi Owada, visited her during her stay.

The princess has not accompanied the crown prince on tours of Japan or performed other official duties since last December, when she was hospitalized for five days after being diagnosed with herpes zoster- an illness commonly known as shingles.

Shingles is usually not dangerous and is often induced by stress and fatigue.

The popular princess has occasionally alluded to the pressures of royal life since she was married in 1993. Amid intense public pressure to produce an heir, she had one miscarriage before giving birth to her first child, Princess Aiko, in December 2001.

In January, the Harvard-educated princess said in a statement that her health problems "resulted from the accumulation of mental and physical fatigue" over the past 10 years.

a nice picture of the family

Great article. Thanks for posting it. I learned a lot. I hope she and the Empress can continue to change the culture of the monarchy in Japan.

when i first heard CP Masako had shingles I thought that was a veneral diease I'm glad people have been so through in explaining what was wrong with CP Masako.

Polfoto 10-05-2004 Japan's Crown Prince Naruhito speaks with reporters during a news conference held at Togu Palace in Tokyo on Monday May 10, 2004 prior to his visit to three European nations, Denmark, Portugal and Spain. During his stay there, Naruhito will attend the royal weddings of Prince Frederik of Denmark and Prince Felipe of Spain.

Crown Prince

Masako's 'distress' over restrictions on travel

10 MAY 2004

On the point of departing for a three-nation European tour which will encompass the much-publicised Danish and Spanish royal weddings, Japan's Crown Prince Naruhito has revealed that his wife is "greatly distressed" that she cannot accompany him.

In what amounts to a criticism of the rigorously traditional Imperial Household Agency, which keeps a tight rein on all royal activities, Naruhito said in a press conference on Monday that Crown Princess Masako was "anguished that she was hardly allowed to visit foreign countries although she left her job as a diplomat to join the imperial family and believed it was an important role for imperial family members to promote international friendship."

Masako had a promising career as a diplomat and twice refused Naruhito's proposal because of her fears over what life would be like within the royal family, before finally marrying him in 1992. The couple made their last trip abroad together in December 2002, to Australia and New Zealand. Since then, Masako has admitted suffering "fatigue" and has dropped out of public view.

The prince, who swore to protect her all his life, said at the press conference that, "Masako seems worn out in her efforts to adjust herself to life as a royal over the past 10 years... There was something that amounted to a denial of Masako's former career and personality." Questioned on this, Naruhito cited his own and Masako's distress at "the inability to visit foreign countries."

The crown prince said that his wife, who also suffered enormous stress over the expectation that she should produce a male heir, is gradually rebuilding her confidence, but that it may take "longer than initially expected" for her to return to her official duties. The couple have one daughter, Aiko.

Having left her job as a diplomat to join the royal family, Masako is "anguished" that she is hardly allowed to visit foreign countries, her husband has revealed

Masako joins her husband on her last foreign visit, to New Zealand, in December 2002

It seems that I'm not the only one with the 'Can't go to the royal weddings' blues. :(

Good for him. I wonder if it'll make any difference, though. The Empress seemed to have been put through the same treatment, with similar results, and it hasn't stopped them pulling the same stunt with the Crown Princess.

I find it admirable that Prince Naruhito spoke up. I must admit that I never realized that it was that bad! :( Changes need to be made and perhaps his interview triggered something! Poor Masako!!

Originally posted by Bubbette@May 12th, 2004 - 1:12 pm
Gee, that is pretty revealing for a Japanese monarch!
It must be a matter of frustration, too. When Masako was allowed to go and stay at her parents' mountain villa, Naruhito could not even stay with her. He had to stay in a local hotel ...

will someone tell the Imperial Household agency that only males decide the sex of children. It's not Masako's fault that her child is a girl.

I won't be surprised if this marriage ends, and Masako returns to her family. She obviously has had a major nervous breakdown.

Yahoo! News

Japan's crown prince heads for Europe leaving ill princess behind

TOKYO (AFP) - Japan's Crown Prince Naruhito left on a European tour without his ailing wife as the palace acknowledged the princess' poor health might be partly due to the limits of her royal life.

Naruhito left on a 12-day tour of Denmark, Portugal and Spain during which he was scheduled to attend royal weddings in Copenhagen and Madrid.

He said Monday it would be "wrenching" to leave behind his wife, Crown Princess Masako, and their two-year-old daughter Aiko.

Masako, a former diplomat schooled at Oxford and Harvard, has not been seen in public or performed any official duties since December due to what the imperial household said was mental and physical exhaustion.

Meeting with the press ahead of his departure, the 43-year-old crown prince said both he and Masako, 40, were deeply regretful that he had to travel to Europe alone.

"I feel that I am wrenching myself away as I depart," he told reporters at his residence on Monday, suggesting the rarity of opportunities available to the princess to visit other countries was partly to blame for her poor health.

Hideki Hayashida, grand master of the crown prince's household, told a news conference Wednesday he took the complaint seriously.

"We take it gravely as we understand (the couple) has been in extreme anguish," he said. "We wish to make utmost efforts in response."

Masako, fluent in six languages, gave up a promising career on the diplomatic fast track to marry into the world's oldest monarchy in 1993.

The couple have made only five foreign trips since their wedding, with the latest one, to Australia and New Zealand, taking place in December 2002.

About Masako undertaking overseas trips, Hayashida said: "We wish to comply with the wishes of both their Highnesses by taking into account the condition of Masako-sama and doctors' advice."

In Copenhagen, the crown prince will attend the wedding ceremony of Danish Crown Prince Frederik and his Australian fiancee Mary Donaldson on Friday.

He will visit Portugal before moving to Madrid to attend another royal wedding, this time of Spanish Prince Felipe and his fiancee, former journalist Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano, on May 22.

Yahoo! News

Japanese Crown Prince Naruhito smiles as he leaves the Togu Palace in Tokyo for a three-nation European tour, leaving behind his wife Masako suffering poor health. He will visit Denmark, Portugal and Spain to attend the wedding ceremony of Danish Crown Prince Frederik and another royal wedding of Spanish Prince Felipe.(AFP/Yoshikazu Tsuno)

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp...ult-264x384.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom