Crown Prince Naruhito & Crown Princess Masako: Current Events

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From Kunaicho
Prince Naruhito and Princess Masako met with UNICEF's head of the secretariat at Togu Palace on April 10, 2006.

Emily said:
Well, I cannot know for sure that she was pressured, but I have read media accounts that she was. Apparently she turned down CPNaruhito's proposals of marriage on a couple of different occasions. According to differing reports, the current Empress talked with her to reassure her about joining the royal household and in another report I read that it became a matter of damaging the "honor" of her family to continue to refuse the CP. In this sense she was "pressured". Obviously I don't have first hand knowledge if any of this is true! Can anyone else add information?

There has always been talk of her family pressuring her into the marriage. Immediately following the wedding, her father was given a much higher position in his employment. It was also rumored that P. Naruhito refused to marry anyone else, so the Imperial couple had a hand in convincing her as well. The same goes for a divorce. Not only would she lose her daughter in a divorce, but her family would be "shamed" by the action, so she really is stuck for life.

CrownPrinceLorenzo said:
Masako has trouble bearing. So I don't think they'll have another child.

I'm not very familiar with Japanese culture and, more specifically, Japense imperial protocols, etc., but would surrogacy ever be an option for CP Naruhito & CP Masako? The baby would biologically be their child, but they'd be using another woman to carry the baby to term.

laduchesse said:
I'm not very familiar with Japanese culture and, more specifically, Japense imperial protocols, etc., but would surrogacy ever be an option for CP Naruhito & CP Masako? The baby would biologically be their child, but they'd be using another woman to carry the baby to term.

That is a possibility but it seems to me that there are two hindrances to it at this point:
- Naruhito and Masako have "offended" the IHA a number of times so I don't see the IHA moving heaven and earth to accommodate the couple, especially since Akishino and Kiko are there as a last resort to produce a heir.
- Masako is still being treated for depression. The medication she takes, I assume, is not good for having a baby even with surrogacy. Unless Masako recovers very soon, I don't this option being carried out.

I wish a happy - and fair - ending to this all.

Will they be meeting with members of the Dutch royal family while they're in the Netherlands? It would be nice to see them meet informally, so the couple can relax with their daughter.

Time to close this thread. Thanks everyone for sharing your pictures, articles and opinions.

The new thread can be found here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom