Crown Prince Naruhito & Crown Princess Masako: Current Events

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, it has been 13 years ever since Masako married Naruhito... it's just so happy to see that Naruhito is so supportive of Masako throughout the years.....hope they'll overcome all the difficulties soon!

BTW I really like the new hairstyle of her at Haneda Airport saying farewell to her in-laws on June 8!!!!

Japan unveils the 250mph electric car
..........The prototype of the Eliica was unveiled yesterday at the imperial Togu Palace in Tokyo to a crowd including Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako........................
http://news.scotsman.com/scitech.cfm?id=901672006

In this photo distributed by Imperial Household Agency of Japan, Crown Prince Naruhito, and Crown Princess Masako lean forward to listen to Keio University Professors, Hiroshi Shimizu, bottom, and Hiroichi Yoshida, second from right, about eight-wheeled electric car 'Eliica' at their residence Togu Palace in Tokyo Monday, June 19, 2006. The imperial couple rode the unique eco vehicle that runs by lithium-ion battery at a top speed of 370 kilometers (230 miles) per hour. The Eliica, that stands for electric lithium-ion car, was developed jointly by Keio University Electric Car Research Center and 38 companies.

#1-2: Profimedia

Attachments

• NWS-1067438.jpg
    NWS-1067438.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 332
  • NWS-1067456.jpg
    NWS-1067456.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
Let's hope that the weather won't be to awfull if they visit :) And that it will have the expected effect on CP Masako. I wonder where they will be staying, maybe as a guest of the RF in one of the palaces?

My first thought is that they might be going abroad to avoid all the publicity around Kiko's anticipated delivery. Even though the press say September, I have always wondered if it might not be earlier. However, the press release does say the Queen issued the invitation over a year ago, so maybe the vacation really has nothing to do with the delivery date. What do others think? I also wonder will they will be staying -- if the Queen has invited them, do you think it will be one of the Palaces? I was reading about Dutch palaces yesterday and Sos....(however you spell the rest) sounds like it might be the most private -- do you think they will close it to the public and let N and M stay there?

Well, I discovered on the Benelux Royals MB that Masako's parents are actually living in The Netherlands, where her father is a judge foir the international court. of justice. So they will probably stay with them :) They could stay in the guesthouse of Palace Huis ten Bosch in The Hague (so near Masakos parents), but then again, I do not know how close the Queen is to the crownprincely couple (I gather they hardly know each other).

Palace Soestdijk you were reading about is almost the most public palace there is, that is one of the reasons Willem-Alexander and Maxima refused to live there. Huis ten Bosch is mostly hidden from the public eye, as is castle het Oude Loo & the private residences on this royal estate. I suspect that the couple would like to stay near Masako's parents though, so either with them or as a guest on Palace Huis ten Bosch (or maybe as guests of the crownprince, though his house isn't to big). The RF will be away to Italy anyway in August I think.

There is an interesting discussion going on on the benelux royals MB about this. One posters sees it as a signal that Masako might be 'bailing out' of the marriage :S (with constructive remarks).

I am just glad that Masako finally gets to go abroad again. She hasn't been out of Japan in a while and I know that one of the reasons she couldn't go with the Crown Prince on his travels abroad was because she was still recovering. I will just take this as a good sign and a step towards a, hopefully, more active Masako. Who knows, we may see her accomapny Naruhito in a foreign travel next year! I think that would be great!

The Asahi Article mentioned that the crown prince family will stay with Queen Beatrix during their stay in the Netherlands.....so I guess Aiko will have a chance to meet with Amalia and Alexia:)

Crown princess to recuperate abroad

06/24/2006
THE ASAHI SHIMBUN

After two years mostly out of the public eye due to stress-related illness, Crown Princess Masako is to travel to the Netherlands to recuperate. Issei Nomura, grand master of the Crown Prince's Palace, told a regular news conference that the princess, along with her husband, Crown Prince Naruhito, and the couple's 4-year-old daughter, Aiko, will stay with Queen Beatrix.................
http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-asahi/TKY200606240142.html

Japan's stressed princess to rejuvenate in Netherlands
TOKYO (AFP) - Japanese Crown Princess Masako, who has been ill with stress while adjusting to life within the world's oldest monarchy, will go abroad with her family for the first time to take a holiday in The Netherlands, the palace said.
Masako, her husband Crown Prince Naruhito and their daughter, four-year-old Princess Aiko, will vacation from mid to late August in The Netherlands, where her father is a judge on the world court.
It is the first known time that a Japanese royal has gone abroad for recuperation purposes. Masako last went abroad in 1999 for a royal wedding in Belgium.
Masako's doctors had recommended the trip, which came at the invitation of Queen Beatrix, as "to rest in a quiet environment overseas and spend time with family would benefit her health," an imperial agency official said............................
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060623/en_afp/japannetherlandsroyal_060623171732

photo from AFP of her recent appearance

Last edited:
I am very happy to hear that the family will be having their first overseas vacation together. Seems like the IHA is "softening" a bit. This is a first, right? I also truly hope that CP Masako gets better as well as enjoy their time in the Netherlands.:)

mandyy said:
The Asahi Article mentioned that the crown prince family will stay with Queen Beatrix during their stay in the Netherlands.....so I guess Aiko will have a chance to meet with Amalia and Alexia:)

Yes, that would be so cool! I hope they get to be friends and continue to be so when they're older. Interaction with other royals would be good for Aiko:).

Marengo said:
There is an interesting discussion going on on the benelux royals MB about this. One posters sees it as a signal that Masako might be 'bailing out' of the marriage :S (with constructive remarks).

LOL! Maybe she decided to apply for political asylum in the Netherlands while asking for a ruling of the international court for Human Rights to interfere with the way the IHA as a government body of Japan treads the Royal family... Okay, just kidding but couldn't resist... :D

i know you're kidding Jo of Palatine but it seems like a good argument to me, worth a try anyway. IHA is evil and should be investigated, the way they they have treated masako (all the women) is criminal.

For a woman like Masako, who has grown up living all over the world since her father is a former diplomat, I think this trip will be liberating; freeing; a breath of fresh air even if she doesn't receive medical treatment. I can only begin to imagine what it has been like for her to have had the freedom of being at an East Coast liberal minded college and then going back to live as a woman not only in Japan but within the most traditional, conservative environment within Japan. To have been pressured into this marriage ("to save face for her family") and to have to give up her freedom of choice in everything from how to live her life to how she dresses to how she can travel, etc. -- in just everything -- would, I think, break the spirits of most of us who are used to such freedoms. I really feel for this Masako and I sincerely hope the Netherlands are good for her. I would also like to see her meet with some of the other CPsses -- most of whom seem like sympathetic, interesting women to have as colleagues. I think it would be a vital connection for her and helpful in mentally expanding her world.

I'm not sure what you mean -- how she will be emotionally or do you mean when she will be there? They arrive around the middle of August and will stay until the end of the month, if that is what you mean.

Ah, thank you for answering :). I forgot a part in my question, I wanted to ask for how long she was staying. Sorry for any misunderstanding ;)

Not to sound pedantic here but I think that Masako and Naruhito *do* have a love match and not some contrived marriage. I think Naruhito deserves some kind of medal for how he has stood by Masako throughout all her ups and downs (and IIRC he did promise to protect her as much as he could ). I think he has always been very aware that she had a lot of misgivings prior to agreeing to marry him and he has been a stand-up husband for her despite all the difficulties.

Jackswife said:
Not to sound pedantic here but I think that Masako and Naruhito *do* have a love match and not some contrived marriage. I think Naruhito deserves some kind of medal for how he has stood by Masako throughout all her ups and downs (and IIRC he did promise to protect her as much as he could ). I think he has always been very aware that she had a lot of misgivings prior to agreeing to marry him and he has been a stand-up husband for her despite all the difficulties.

I agree with this, too. I think they love one another and some recent photos of them capture the lovely complicity that exists between them. Recent comments on other message boards speculate that the "vacation/medical treatment" in the Netherlands is really the beginning of the end of the marriage. These comments make me pause since I don't imagine that happening but it will be interesting to see what the time in the Netherlands is like for them.

Emily said:
My first thought is that they might be going abroad to avoid all the publicity around Kiko's anticipated delivery. Even though the press say September, I have always wondered if it might not be earlier. However, the press release does say the Queen issued the invitation over a year ago, so maybe the vacation really has nothing to do with the delivery date. What do others think? I also wonder will they will be staying -- if the Queen has invited them, do you think it will be one of the Palaces? I was reading about Dutch palaces yesterday and Sos....(however you spell the rest) sounds like it might be the most private -- do you think they will close it to the public and let N and M stay there?

I agree it could be the IHA wanting the couple out of the country so as not to 'overshadow' the birth of PKiko's child. Afterall can u imagine the headlines if the child is a boy. The press would not just focus on the child but also CP Masako and all she's been through. Just my thoughts.

I read in the link that Zarat posted from Hello magazine's website that the princess was going to help her in her recovery, but that the couple are breaking with tradition by holidaying abroad in the summer and i doubt that the IHA would allow them to do that unless they wanted them out of the country for some reason.

LEAD: Parachuting comedian lands at crown prince's residence by mistake
A comedian who was parachuting for the shooting of a television quiz program and his instructor were blown off course by strong winds and landed within the Akasaka Goyochi residential quarters of Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako in Tokyo's Minato Ward on Sunday afternoon, police said....................
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060702/kyodo/d8ijred00.html

Well -- surprise, surprise for them!!

Do you think its a boy the new baby?

ik hope so that it is a girl girlpower!!

does anybody have inside information? do you think that Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako will ever get another child?

i just wish them al the best

Masako has trouble bearing. So I don't think they'll have another child.

Last edited:
There's a thread about the Akishino pregnancy here if people want to discuss it.

Emily said:
To have been pressured into this marriage ("to save face for her family") and to have to give up her freedom of choice in everything from how to live her life to how she dresses to how she can travel, etc. -- in just everything -- would, I think, break the spirits of most of us who are used to such freedoms.

Was she really pressured to marry the Prince? I didn't realize this. I also had no idea she wasn't allowed to see her family. I don't understand why. That seems so cruel to keep someone away from their family... afterall people need family. Good grief, no wonder she had problems. :(

I'm glad she's taking this much needed vacation too. It was very nice of Queen Beatrix to extend an invitation although I'm sure it helped that her father is an important person in the Netherlands. But sometimes it pays to know people in high places, otherwise Masako probably would've never seen her family.

Well, I cannot know for sure that she was pressured, but I have read media accounts that she was. Apparently she turned down CPNaruhito's proposals of marriage on a couple of different occasions. According to differing reports, the current Empress talked with her to reassure her about joining the royal household and in another report I read that it became a matter of damaging the "honor" of her family to continue to refuse the CP. In this sense she was "pressured". Obviously I don't have first hand knowledge if any of this is true! Can anyone else add information?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom