Crown Prince Naruhito & Crown Princess Masako current events 5: Dec. 2008- Dec. 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually not too keen on her hair...I thought she looked lovely when she had it shoulder length. But I think her teeth are kind a "cute" the way they are.

I've been away from Japan for sooo long. Thank you for all those lovely pics I get to look at here.

I'm actually not too keen on her hair...I thought she looked lovely when she had it shoulder length.

I agree with you: Masako has her hair in her best when she has it shoulder-long or a little bit up...

Nice pictures.. Glad to see masako attend the greetings event..

April 16, 2009
Japan's Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako visit a photo exhibition to celebrate the 50th wedding anniversary and the 20th anniversary of the coronation of Japan's Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko at a department store in Tokyo.

BelgaPicture - Category details

I for one like the longer hair-especially looks nice with the cream color of the dress. To see Masako out in public is always really great and I look forward to seeing her more.

She's beaming in those pics. They make a lovely couple.

Wooooo I love what Masako sama is wearing! she looks lovely!!!
Kimono isnt very comforable to wear- (imagine having to go to the bathroom in them....), so if I had a choice, I rather not.
I'm delighted to see her out and about more than before. And is it only me who thinks her smile looks less forced than they did in the past?

Kimono isnt very comforable to wear- (imagine having to go to the bathroom in them....), so if I had a choice, I rather not.
I agree with you, seiko.But because both Michiko and Kiko wear kimono, so i wonder why Masako wasn't, she is Crown Princess.
More pictures of this event
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/photos/culture/imperial/090418/imp0904180801001-p20.jpg
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/photos/culture/imperial/090418/imp0904180801001-p21.jpg
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/photos/culture/imperial/090418/imp0904180801001-p22.jpg
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/photos/culture/imperial/090418/imp0904180801001-p15.jpg
I have to say that when she smile she make me happy :D

Wooooo I love what Masako sama is wearing! she looks lovely!!!
I'm delighted to see her out and about more than before. And is it only me who thinks her smile looks less forced than they did in the past?

Hmmmm. The fact if Princess Masako isn't a traditionalist. Recently, here in Argentina, a Japanese cook - a woman - told her audience that women from today in Jpana - not only nobility or royals - had brought the kimono to fashion again, and it is common to be seen in galas, important parties and even in movies and theaters. And I tends to believe her, since I've seen a lot of documentaries and movies about modern Japan and a lot of women in the street could be seen wearing kimonos. I don't think kimonos could be so bad to go to the bathroom and so on. When Maxiskirts where in fashion, they must be not to useful to go to the bathroom but women wore them, because it was in fashion, Besides, old ladies wore only kimonos and they must also go to the bathroom ...weren't they? And just think that bathrooms , back then, were not hald of modern as they are today. Vanesa.

I agree with you, seiko.But because both Michiko and Kiko wear kimono, so i wonder why Masako wasn't, she is Crown Princess.
There probably wasnt a particular reason why CP wasn't wearing kimono, except if you listen to the video in Japanese, it says CP Masako's attendance was arranged rather quickly/hastly.

Ladies, the "bathroom" and kimono bit was meant to be a joke! but I must add that not all bathroom in Japan are sit on type :eek:

Crown Prince look so happy when Masako sama is by his side. I hope she continues well with her recovery.

Crown Princess Masako attend a greenery event scheduled in Yokohama together with Crown Prince Naruhito.

http://img.47news.jp/PN/200904/PN2009041901000199.-.-.CI0003.jpg
http://www.jiji.com/news/photos/photo_news/images/450/view7938961.jpg
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/photos/culture/imperial/090419/imp0904191315002-p1.jpg
Her and him look so happy and comfortable:ROFLMAO:

Oh, i'm very very happy for her.She appeared more and more in public, CROWN PRINCESS MASAKO RECOVERED:cheers:
Thanks lots of keep us update, emma. I'm also surprised and happy seeing the Princess's schedules are more and more regularly. It shows that her recovery is working now.

Goodness, I didn't expect to see more!! I'm so happy to see her more confident and comfortable.

Thank you, emma.

Wow, the CPss has been pretty active these days !!
It would be a sign of her steady recovery.

Wish CPss a steady recovery and I hope to see her more in public.

Emma93: Thanks a lot for all your posting of photos and videos !!!! All are awesome !!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've hoped for so long that she would be well enough to start being in public more, so these latest events are really a great sign that she is better.:flowers:

I've hoped for so long that she would be well enough to start being in public more, so these latest events are really a great sign that she is better.:flowers:

I agree with you !!! Maybe this year Princess Masako comes back!

So glad to see her out and about, i hope she'll be able to take more duties as well as otker members of imperial family.

Hmmmm. The fact if Princess Masako isn't a traditionalist. Recently, here in Argentina, a Japanese cook - a woman - told her audience that women from today in Jpana - not only nobility or royals - had brought the kimono to fashion again, and it is common to be seen in galas, important parties and even in movies and theaters. And I tends to believe her, since I've seen a lot of documentaries and movies about modern Japan and a lot of women in the street could be seen wearing kimonos. I don't think kimonos could be so bad to go to the bathroom and so on. When Maxiskirts where in fashion, they must be not to useful to go to the bathroom but women wore them, because it was in fashion, Besides, old ladies wore only kimonos and they must also go to the bathroom ...weren't they? And just think that bathrooms , back then, were not hald of modern as they are today. Vanesa.

Masako has worn kimonos in the past, I think Seiko's explanation is the accurate one as to why Masako wasn't in kimono. It's not accurate to describe Masako as a non-traditionalist, she hasn't done anything to demonstrate that. She was a good Japanese girl who studied hard even in her holidays and to please her father she went for a job in the Foreign ministry to follow in his footsteps as he didn't have a son. Kiko is far less a traditionalist as she continued with her PhD studies even after she married and had children ( unheard of in Japanese society where women give up work and study once they marry) Kiko writes children's books which were published last year.

Kimonos have never been out of fashion but as they are very expensive even to rent they are only used for special occasions. Also few Japanese women know how to dress themselves in kimono so they need to hire a dresser for the occasion. Kimonos are worn by children at the ages of 3, 5 and 7 for the Festival of shichigosan in November they are taken to the shrines to receive blessings, western children too, not just Japanese. When girls graduate from high school they wear kimonos for the graduation ceremony and for university graduation too. Adult's Day in January is a great day for kimono watching young women outdo each other with the kimonos they wear for the 'becoming an adult' ceremony which is held the year they turn 20. Japanese legally become adults at 20, young men just wear suits. The kimonos are rented, and even rented they cost around $3000 for the one day. Buy your own and you will be 10s of 1000s of dollars poorer. Other occasions for kimono wearing mothers of the bride and groom at weddings, also guests, including westerners if they want to wear kimonos.
Dressing in a kimono is a complicated and time consuming job. There are 3 layers and each layer is tied, no buttons, zips or fasteners. I've been dressed in formal kimonos and it took some time! It's not something you whip on quickly.
The beautiful silk kimonos that you see are actually winter kimonos, the summer ones are simpler and are cotton and cooler to wear. They're called Yukata and are more popular among young women as they are easier to dress in.
Finally kimono actually means ' a thing to wear' 'ki' is wear 'mono' is thing.

Going to the bathroom in a kimono isn't easy, they are tight and it's possible only to take small steps. Also public toilets ( and toilets in the past) are all squat toilets in Japan.

Thanks a lot for the explanation on kimonos ! I have also heard that they are one of the most precious possessions of Japanese women, and many pass through generations.

Goodness Charlotte, I couldnt have explained it better than you did. Thank you:)

Excellent explanation, Charlotte! There's a great deal to know and learn about Kimonos. And yes, I knew they were not cheap - a friend of mine who is taiwanese, sells Eastern traditional clothes and Kimonos are the most expensive of all them - but I suppose a Princess may afford almost one...:D (Sorry, I cannot use smilies)Thanks for the info Charlotte!Vanesa.

It's not only you, seiko, who thinks that her smile looks more genuine. She seems to have a real twinkle in her eyes now.:flowers:

And is it only me who thinks her smile looks less forced than they did in the past?

It is great that Crown Princess Masako makes more public appearances and undertakes various official engagements. She looks relaxed and comfortable. So does Crown Prince Naruhito. There must have been good reasons for not wearing a kimono as Empress Michiko and Princess Kiko did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom