Crown Prince Naruhito & Crown Princess Masako current events 5: Dec. 2008- Dec. 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also believe that Naruhito has shown her a lot of kindness and tried to help her as much as he could in his position.I wish him & his family good luck for the future & happy belated birthday wishes:)

:previous: Oh yes, I agree!:flowers: I believe that this is a marriage that truly "works" in spite of all the pressures against it. As much as I hope for healing for CP Masako, I also hope that the example of this couple working through things together will help against the stigma of mental illness in Japan.

Last edited:

Crown Princess Masako has seen Crown Prince Naruhito off as he left Togu Palace to depart to the United States on March 5, 2013. Naruhito as honorary president of U.N. Advisory Board on Water and Sanitation will speak about Japan's experience of the 2011 earthquake and tsunami at a special U.S. session on water and disaster on March 6.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Naruhito & Masako are so cute together,they are really fighting hard for their love and I am happy to see them smiling so sweet to each other!

:flowers: I absolutely agree with you, blauerengel! :)

Two more: 1 ** 2

and one picture of today: Naruhito´s return to the togu palace - he is back home. :)

Crown Prince Naruhito, Crown Princess Masako and Princess Aiko were pictured during their arrival at Nagano Station on March 26, 2013.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

It is nice to see Crown Princely family making a public appearance. Princess Aiko is going to be as tall as her mother soon.

According to reports by Japanese media, it seems that Masako is scheduled to travel to the Netherlands to attend Prince Willem-Alexander´s enthronement ceremony. :clap:
It would be her first official visit abroad in 11 years. (The trip to the Netherlands in summer 2006 was private although there was an official photo session at the time, along with the Dutch royals.)

I dearly hope this will come to pass... This is very good news and, I confess it frankly, totally contrary to what I expected.
Asahi tv
Google translator

Last edited:
Thank God..Very good news. I am happy for you, Chiria..you seem really delighted..

Thank you, vkrish! :flowers: You are right. I am very delighted. And moved...

Of course, there is still so much that could go wrong. But at least there is something like a ray of hope, after so many years, that there could maybe be a happy ending to this story, in spite of everything. Not tomorrow and not next year, certainly - but maybe some day...

Dont expect too much, Dont worry too much. Just be happy with whatever good happens, however little it is..

That is very wise advice indeed - just not always realistic... ;)

But do not fear for me - I will certainly not jump from a bridge even if Masako should not go the Netherlands... :lol:

I'm so happy to hear this news, even if they turn out to be untrue, I had a bit of time to be so happy about!

But 11 years? Wasn't her last time in 1999 on the wedding of Phillip and Mathilde?

It is welcome news. I am looking forward to seeing photos.

I hope with all my heart that Masako will be able to attend the Dutch inauguration ceremony. It seems like a very appropriate event for her to attend on the basis of the private visit they made afew years ago to the Netherlands and where she (and presumably the IHA) will most likely feel quite at ease.

I really hope this is true. She already knows the couple well !

Princess Masako set to make first official overseas trip in 11 years
Plans are being finalized for Masako, 49, to accompany her husband, Crown Prince Naruhito, to visit the Netherlands to attend the coronation of Prince Willem-Alexander of Orange on April 30. It would be the first official overseas trip for Masako since 2002 when she toured Australia and New Zealand. [...] Cabinet approval for the trip could come as early as the end of this week, sources said. Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko have encouraged Masako to make the trip. They will be consulted beforehand as a matter of courtesy.

Japan's imperial family and the Dutch royal house have a history of close ties. [...] According to sources, Princess Maxima of the Netherlands contacted Masako directly to issue the invitation. Masako is said to be keen to go so she can express her appreciation for the 2006 visit.[...]

Imperial Household Agency officials consulted with Yutaka Ono, head of the princess' medical team, who accompained her during the 2006 visit to the Netherlands. Ono gave the go-ahead, citing an improvement in Masako's health condition in recent years.
THE ASAHI SHIMBUN, April 18, 2013

Hello Magazine: Princess Masako of Japan to make her first overseas visit in 11 years, with very beautiful pictures

Masako is a very beautiful women. And ohh I didn't remenber that overseas visit to Australia, so it was really 11 years.

I bet if she's going, she'll be a bit nervous, but I think it will be good for her, and she will be able to interact with the other royals as well.

This all makes April 30th even more exciting. Because I was hoping for Masako and the Duke and Duchess of Camnbridge, now its only the latter that remains confirmation, though I doubt they'll go.

Given the update, I hope nothing prevents Crown Princess Masako from travelling to Netherlands and attending the ceremony.

Last edited:
Personally, I am glad that Masako is attending the Dutch ceremony. Hopefully this is the first step in increasing her appearances in and out of Japan.

Last edited by a moderator:

A couple of posts abouts members of the British Royal Family have been deleted as off-topic. Thanks for your understanding!

:previous: Definitely. :flowers:

Princess Masako trip gets formal OK
The Cabinet on Friday endorsed a trip by Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako to the Netherlands from April 28 to attend the coronation of a new Dutch king. [...]

The Crown Princess plans to attend the coronation ceremony and a reception. Her participation in other events will be decided after counseling with doctors on whether she is fit enough, as well as consultations with Dutch officials.
Crown princess' visit to Netherlands formally decided
It is rare for the Cabinet to approve an overseas trip by the royal couple so soon before their departure, except for urgent cases, such as travel to attend a funeral of other countries' royal family members. [...]

Yutaka Ono, the head of the National Center of Neurology and Psychiatry who is a doctor for the Crown Prince's Palace, will accompany the couple.
The royal couple is scheduled to leave Haneda airport in Tokyo by government aircraft on the afternoon of April 28, according to the Imperial Household Agency. A banquet organized by Dutch Queen Beatrix will be held in Amsterdam on April 29, followed by the coronation ceremony for Prince Willem-Alexander on April 30, a reception, a parade on water, and a reception held by the royal family. A breakfast is also arranged by the Dutch king and queen for the guests on May 1.

During the Japanese royal couple's stay, a meeting with Japanese residents of the Netherlands is also under consideration. The Japanese royal couple is expected to leave the Netherlands on May 2 and return home the following day.
By the way, they have a really cute way of putting it: the crown prince and princess will "attend the coronation of a new Dutch king". One wonders who he might be, this new Dutch king and when the public will be informed about who he is... :lol:

Crown Princess Masako and Crown Prince Naruhito were pictured arriving at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo to meet with Emperoro Akihito and Empress Michiko on April 26, 2013.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Recovering crown princess headed for first official overseas visit in 11 years
[…] The couple will attend the April 30 coronation of Willem-Alexander, Prince of Orange, as he ascends to the Dutch throne. The significant trip began with a simple phone call. "The caller was Princess Maxima, the wife of Willem-Alexander, who will soon become the new king," said a source in the Imperial Household Agency. "Maxima asked Masako to attend the investiture ceremony on April 30."

The last time Masako went abroad was for a two-week private trip to the Netherlands in August 2006, with Naruhito, and their daughter, Princess Aiko. They were invited by Queen Beatrix and spent two weeks at a retreat in Apeldoorn, in part to provide a rest for Masako. The Imperial Household Agency source said Masako was very grateful for that break. [...]

In May 2004, Naruhito stirred controversy when he said there were "developments that denied Princess Masako's career ... as well as her personality driven by her career." His comments led to public speculation about a gap emerging between Naruhito and Masako, on the one hand, and officials of the Imperial Household Agency, and even Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko, on the other.

"Because Masako grew up abroad, graduated from Harvard University and worked as a career diplomat, it is only to be expected that she would clearly voice her opinions," said an acquaintance who has known Masako since she studied overseas. "Moreover, she was always a free-spirited and vigorous individual. I felt from the very beginning that it would be very difficult for her to enter such a closed world as the imperial household."
A source in the crown prince's household added, "After her marriage, Masako became deeply concerned about the atmosphere in the imperial household, which placed priority on suppressing one's individuality and bearing an heir. Differences arose with the emperor and empress, who were concerned about the future of the imperial family, as well as high-ranking officials of the Imperial Household Agency." [...]

RETREAT TO GET AWAY
The crown prince's family spends every summer at the Nasu Imperial Villa in Tochigi Prefecture. "At dusk, Masako would go for daily walks by herself, without even an attendant," according to a person at the villa. "While there are many paths within the villa grounds, the grass is tall in some areas, but she would still walk through such trails. That may have been an expression of her desire to get away from everyone."

A major turning point for Masako was the 2006 trip to the Netherlands.
The Netherlands is a special place for Masako because it is where her parents currently reside. Her father, Hisashi Owada, is currently a justice of the International Court of Justice at The Hague. He previously served as vice foreign minister, the highest bureaucratic post in the Foreign Ministry.
The crown prince's family also shares "family problems" with the Dutch royal house, arising from the special world both live in. […] That background was likely a major reason why the Dutch royal family extended a helping hand when Masako faced her own emotional crisis.

"In the year after the retreat in the Netherlands, Willem-Alexander visited Japan and had dinner at the Imperial Palace with the emperor and empress," said Katsumi Iwai, a former senior staff writer at The Asahi Shimbun who covered the imperial family for many years. "At that time, he said, 'During the retreat, I was surprised at the large difference in Masako between when she was bright and happy and when she felt down.' He added, 'If there is anything I can do to help, do not hesitate to ask.' " [...]

TIME FOR A DECISION
[…] "There were a number of times when the issue of Masako's official overseas trip came up, but in each case, the conclusion was reached at an early stage that it would be difficult," a Foreign Ministry official said. "However, the Netherlands is special, so there was speculation that she might be able to go. In the end, a formal reply was held off until the very last minute." An informal inquiry about an invitation was made through diplomatic channels at the beginning of March. Although a request had been made for a response by early March, no decision was reached by that time.

An acquaintance of the Owada family said, "The Owadas returned to Japan in late March and stayed for about 10 days. However, they apparently did not meet with Masako. They only said, 'Diplomatic decisions are made in a realm beyond our reach. There is not much that we can say.' " A formal invitation arrived on April 1, but still no decision had been made.
Frustrated at the lack of a decision, Noriyuki Kazaoka, grand steward of the Imperial Household Agency, said on April 11, "The deadline for responding to the Netherlands has been greatly exceeded, so there is a need to make a decision as soon as possible." However, a source at the crown prince's household said, "Masako became more glum as a result of that comment." […]

A spring garden party hosted by the emperor and empress was held on April 18 at the Akasaka Imperial Gardens immediately after the decision was made on the Netherlands trip. Masako did not attend that gathering. A former Imperial Household Agency official said, "Masako feels a very heavy burden when she has to attend an event where she will be seen by many people, as well as Shinto ceremonies. When imperial family members go abroad, even for private trips, they go to the imperial palace to conduct religious rituals. However, this time, only Naruhito will go. While there may arise criticism over such a situation, one reason that Masako likely decided to go to the Netherlands is Aiko's growth."

Masako had been worried for many years about Aiko's difficulties in attending school. However, that problem has all but been resolved. An event was held on April 14 at Gakushuin University where Naruhito and Masako seemed to be very pleased at how much Aiko had grown. One participant said, "From her second-floor seat, Masako gazed at Aiko through binoculars, and she would smile and whisper something to Naruhito. Masako seemed to be doing very well. When Naruhito and Aiko performed on their musical instruments together for the first time in a large ensemble, Masako leaned forward in her seat to watch, and she happily clapped her hands in rhythm with the music." [...] Aiko gradually returned to a more normal school life after she joined the school orchestra. That brought relief to her parents. [...]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]SHUKAN ASAHI WEEKLY MAGAZIN, [/FONT]April 26, 2013

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom