Crown Prince Naruhito & Crown Princess Masako current events 5: Dec. 2008- Dec. 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is that Crown Princely couple visited people affected by the earthquake. Crown Princess Masako seems attentive.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Yes, I think you may very well be right. I see much compassion in the eyes of the princess, especially in the first pic. But I wonder why the bed in which the ailing lady lies seems to be outdoors? Soon after the earthquake I would have understood that there is no shelter available but that cannot be the case now.[/FONT]

I was wrong. :whistling: It is not outdoors. I have found the video on youtube:

Thanks for the video!
The engagement is definitely related to the earthquake in general and Fukushima (you can hear the word). Our Japanese members and Kasumi could provide more details about the engagement.

Well, YOU can hear the word, I obviously cannot. ;) So thanks for the information!:flowers:
And now we will wait and see what other members have to tell us.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I do not know what the crown couple is doing there as I unfortunately do not read Japanese. But I think those pics are impressing. And maybe somebody else can explain?[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]...[/FONT]
:previous:
TIH the Crown Prince Naruhito and the Crown Princess Masako visited Fukushima prefecture to encourage people affected by Great East Japan Earthquake on July 26th, 2011. It is the second time for them to visit affcted area after the earthquake.
Crown Princely couple visited temporary houses for refugees.

One more picture

As usual, I have no clue what prince and princess are doing there but maybe somebody else knows? And it is anyway nice to see them out and about. :flowers:
pic
video at fnn-news

And one more pic at Asahi.
(Probably the same occasion as they are similiarly dressed.)

ETA... I think I have found the explanation for the pics. :)

The website House of Japan said on Tuesday that Prince and Princess would "make a one-day trip to Iwate Prefecture on Friday to console victims of the March earthquake and tsunami...The royal couple will board a Self-Defense Forces aircraft to travel to the coastal city of Ofunato, where they will be briefed by local officials about the extent of the devastation there and meet with evacuees living in temporary housing. The couple made similar visits to Miyagi Prefecture in June and Fukushima Prefecture in July."
link
See also this link:

"Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako traveled on Friday to the coastal city of Ofunato, Iwate Prefecture...

The couple talked with some of the 192 evacuees living in temporary housing nearly five months after the massive earthquake and tsunami. The crown prince and princess also offered silent prayers at a tsunami-ravaged site in the city, where buildings including a supermarket were completely washed away. This was the imperial couple's third visit to disaster-hit areas..."

And some more pics of the same event (from Yuko). I especially like this one. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with your choice of pics, ChiaraC Masako looks very relaxed and lovely in that last photo. The longer hair looks good on her.:flowers:

I agree with your choice of pics, ChiaraC Masako looks very relaxed and lovely in that last photo. The longer hair looks good on her.:flowers:
Thank you! :) I agree with you, of course. Although there definitely are women who look better with short hair, I have, generally speaking, to admit to the rather conservative view of preferring long hair. :blush: Besides, I like the sensitivity in Masako´s face. She does not look as if she were wearing a mask.

But there is another reason still why I like this pic. Of course, it is impossible to determine with certainty if the prince, while looking back, is looking at his wife or at someone behind her. But imo it could be (and I quite like this thought) that he is, in fact, looking back to her, in order to caringly check if she is doing o.k., and that he smiles because he sees that she is doing fine, indeed, as you say, „relaxed and lovely“. :flowers:

Crown princess Masako helping out

Crown Prince Naruhito and his wife Crown Princess Masako held informal talks Monday with outgoing Vietnamese Ambassador to Japan Nguyen Phu Binh who came to bid farewell before leaving the post.
The agency said it was the first time for the crown princess to engage in external official duties since August when she and the crown prince visited Ofunato, Iwate Prefecture, to offer encouragement to survivors of the March disaster.
Crown Prince Naruhito was initially scheduled to take part in the meeting with the ambassador on his own, but Crown Princess Masako, who continues to receive treatment for a stress-induced illness, joined the talks as her condition was well enough, according to the agency. - Mainichi Daily News

This is not really a current event as it took place already several years ago but I do not know where else to put it. (The mods are very welcome to move it if they have an idea where it would fit better.)

In October 2006, Roger Federer, at the time no.1 in men´s tennis was in Tokyo to play the tournament there. He also met the crown prince family and even played doubles with the crown prince:
On Saturday I had an incredible experience meeting with the Crown Prince of Japan, Prince Naruhito at one of the Imperial Palaces. I had been waiting for the moment for a long time and it was something that needed to be planned well in advance because of the protocol. We went to one of his guest palaces. He had two clay courts back there. I warmed up with him and I was surprised how well he played. Then I played with another junior as he took a rest and then I asked the Prince if he'd like to play some doubles. He was excited about that and we played a set together, which was a lot of fun and we won! I must admit that the Prince hit some fantastic winners and was a great partner.

Princess Masako and their beautiful daughter Aiko were also there and spent some time with my girlfriend Mirka and my agent Tony. After tennis we had a wonderful lunch and talked for over an hour at his tennis villa. Then we went for a walk around their picture-perfect gardens - in particular I remember they have a beautiful lake and trees - and had lunch at the court. It is one of the most beautiful gardens I have ever seen and to think that it is in the centre of Tokyo is quite amazing. It was a very enjoyable moment. You don't get to play tennis with royalty every day and I will never forget this experience.
The blog is to be found here.

Good to see CP Masako able to take on another "job", especially since meeting with a diplomat would suit her training and experience.:flowers:

Crown Prince Naruhito and his wife Crown Princess Masako held informal talks Monday with outgoing Vietnamese Ambassador to Japan Nguyen Phu Binh who came to bid farewell before leaving the post.

Crown Princess Masako turns 48 - December 9th, 2011

Crown Princess Masako expresses sympathy to disaster victims - The Mainichi Daily News
Crown Princess Masako, who has continued to receive treatment for a stress-induced illness for almost nine years, expressed sympathy on Friday to people affected by the March earthquake-tsunami disaster on the occasion of her 48th birthday. [...]
Referring to her daughter Princess Aiko, she said, "The issue of Aiko's school life has taken up a large part of my daily life this year."
[...]
According to a separate statement by the medical team for the crown princess, she does not feel good sometimes and her activities are limited due to symptoms such as headaches and stomachaches.
While the crown princess continues to receive drug treatment and telephone counseling under her physician, it represented her steady recovery that she visited disaster-hit areas with Crown Prince Naruhito during spring and summer, the medical team said.
The doctors also said "ill-minded" media reports based on inaccurate information nullify her efforts for recovery.

daylife gallery

The Crown Princess entering the Imperial palace gate on December 9th, 2011.
**Pic** - FNN screencapture

Thanks for the information!
It is nice that Crown Princess Masako's treatment makes progress that enables her to undertake engagements with her husband.

Last edited:
Two more articles about the birthday press conferences

House of Japan: Princess Masako encouraged by Princess Aiko
...the doctors used more than half of their statement to explain how much effort Crown Princess Masako has been making to help relieve Princess Aiko of her anxieties about school, suggesting that the issue has been serving as a major step forward toward the Crown Princess's recovery.

The doctors said it "requires tremendous effort considering her condition" for Crown Princess Masako to accompany Princess Aiko to school, but that Princess Aiko has been moving in a positive direction as a result.
The Asahi Shimbun: Princess Masako turns 48; doctors lash out at 'malicious' reporting
Masako said in a statement, "It has been a year in which my life has been occupied by Aiko's schooling. (My accompanying her) was the only possibility (available to me) under the current situation." ...
The doctors also lashed out at reports in some weekly magazines. "She has been concerned about reports based on malicious information," it said. "It will hamper her recovery...and lead to a worsening of the illness. Due to the nature of these reports, the princess is losing confidence and cannot progress with ease. We doctors feel outrage as professionals about this situation in which thoughtless reporting is endlessly repeated."
Masako also referred to when she accompanied her daughter Princess Aiko on a three-day, two-night school trip to Yamanashi Prefecture in September. "(Attending the school trip and spending time with her friends) played an important role (for Aiko) to acquire confidence and encouragement to go back to school life... "
Close up of the crown princess

Recent pics of the crown princess (with her husband and daughter)

Thanks for the additional information!
It is a positive development that the doctors addressed rumours surrounding Crown Princess Masako's condition and even shed more light on Princess Aiko's school situation.

Agreed. It would be embarrassing for CP Masako to have her condition dealt with in detail, and so I don't expect to hear anything like that from her doctors. However, it's so good to know that she's coming along and that helping Aiko with her school anxieties is helping her as well.

It is a positive development that the doctors addressed rumours surrounding Crown Princess Masako's condition and even shed more light on Princess Aiko's school situation.

The Crown Princely couple with their daughter Princess Aiko entering the gates of the Imperial palace to participate in formal family dinner on the occasion of HM the Emperor's 78th birthday - December 23rd, 2011.

**Pic** - screencapture

Princess Aiko looks so much like her father to me!

It is great that Crown Princely family attended the dinner.

:previous: Yes, it's great to see them going to this occasion and also so nice to see CP Masako wearing a more vibrant colour than usual.:flowers:

The Crown Princely couple has visited the annual Imperial family luncheon on December 27th, 2011.
The luncheon is a tradition established by late Empress Kojun to gather the extended Imperial family and their relatives which had lost their titles and position in 1947. The Emperor Akihito's surviving sisters and Mrs Kuroda (former Princess Nori-n-miya Sayako) usually attend the luncheon with their spouses.
The Crown Prince was supposed to visit the luncheon solo due to the Crown Princess' poor health (last year the Crown Princess was not present). This time the Crown Princess joined her spouse last minute.
She smiled and waved to the royal fans entering the Hanzomon gates of the Imperial palace.
**Pic** - Mainichi

Great photos of the crown princely couple, we're there any more pictures from the Royal Luncheon?

Great photos of the crown princely couple, we're there any more pictures from the Royal Luncheon?
See Akishino's thread.:flowers:
I have two more pics of the Emperor's sisters and Mrs Kudoda (taken by my friend), but I have no permission to post them here.

Last edited:
Ah, beige again.:ermm: However, it's so good that she was able to attend the lunch this year.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
What a great picture!:flowers: We haven't seen CP Masako in a tiara for quite awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom