Crown Prince Naruhito & Crown Princess Masako current events 5: Dec. 2008- Dec. 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of me does understand and part of me doesn't.

What I don't understand is the nastiest that is being directed at a little girl. Who from my understanding has done nothing wrong other than being born a girl.

The nastiness that you're reading has nothing to do with the fact that Aiko was born a girl. (There is a male heir for the next generation, so the succession problem is solved for a generation) The issue with Aiko is her lack of attendence at school, last school year she didn't attend school for over a month. With the new school year she has been attending until the morning break (10.30am) and then going home. (According to the IHA press office she's been having private tutoring at home to make up for the work she's been missing at school) It seems that she is attending school for longer periods but still refuses to attend such things as the morning assemblies and beginning of school assemblies. In a country like Japan where education is highly important and valued, (where a teacher earns more money than an engineer, since teaching is considered the more important profession. Heartening to all you teachers out there!) where students are rewarded for perfect attendence, not attending school is a major issue. In that respect Aiko is viewed as a spoilt brat, she wasn't bullied, but rather upset over the rough behaviour of boys in the hallway. She had been pushed by boys running past her.

As far as any importance to the succession, Aiko has no importance. Had there been no male in the next generation, Japanese people would had accepted a female Emperor. The view was a female Emperor was better than no Emperor. Once Hisahito was born, problem solved, any push to change the succession laws died. There's no need to try and discredit Aiko since there's no push by anyone to have her succeed her father. The succession issue is dead, any reform is pushed aside probably until Hisahito is an adult.

The whole male only succession also has to do with the Emperor being a Shinto priest who carries out certain rites. Shinto priests (like catholic priests) can only be male. Catholics can only have a male Pope, Japanese can only have a male Emperor. Nothing to do with females not being worthy of being Emperors. (They did have them in the past, before the Shinto religion was reconfigured around the Emperor)

Masako, in Japan, is view negatively as she's seen as someone who is shirking her duty. The Japanese Imperial Family are funded by the taxpayer, and it's an expensive one, far more expensive than the European royal families are. So Masako is receiving taxpayers' money and doing very few official engagements. Yet she's been seen at social engagements in the past. That's the basis of the negative commentary coming from those in Japan who care to comment. (Keeping in mind these are English language reports, so the posters have to post in English, not everyone has those skills. Also the majority of Japanese view the Imperial Family as a 'tradition, something that's always been there' not necessarily something they are hugely interested in.

How interesting, this report.

The press conference on the occasion of His Majesty's birthday 2010 is interesting to read.

Press Conference on the occasion of His Majesty's Birthday (2010) - The Imperial Household Agency

Question 3 - His Majesty talks about his family.

"Question 3
This is a question about the Imperial Family. As Your Majesty sees the four grandchildren at the Imperial Residence and at the Imperial Villas, You must be impressed by how they are growing up. Please tell us about the thoughts that have occurred to Your Majesty through Your contacts with Your grandchildren, perhaps by referring to some specific episodes. Princess Aiko, the eldest daughter of Their Imperial Highnesses the Crown Prince and Princess, has not been able to go to school in the normal way since March, and Crown Princess Masako has had to accompany Princess Aiko to school every day, which has prevented Crown Princess Masako from adequately performing her official duties. How does Your Majesty regard the current situation of the Crown Prince's family?

Answer 3
This year Aiko, who became a third grader at Gakushuin Primary School, found it difficult to go to school, which was something we did not foresee, and we are worried about it. I am also much concerned for the Crown Prince and Princess, who must be so worried as well. Because of this, opportunities to see Aiko have been limited, so, regrettably, it is difficult to tell you anything in terms of exchanges with her. The Empress has much affection for Aiko as she does for all Her grandchildren, and Aiko also expresses her love for the Empress whenever she comes here by presenting Her with flowers which Aiko has picked from her garden. When she came the other day, she eagerly showed the Empress a video of her cat on her camera. In the visual footages of her school field day, Aiko looked lively and seemed to be enjoying herself as she did last year, and I was relieved to see it.

I am pleased that Mako, who entered International Christian University, seems to be enjoying college life. In the summer she participated in an overseas English training programme and spent almost 40 days in Ireland living with people from different countries. After returning to Japan, she showed us photographs with detailed explanations. It is my hope that she will spend her days at university in such a way that one day she can look back on those days and think that it was a meaningful time.

Kako has advanced to Gakushuin Girls' High School. From this year she has started to attend, together with Prince and Princess Akishino, the All-Japan High School Cultural Festival, which Mako used to attend every year while she was in high school. I think it is a good thing for her to have the opportunity to talk with students from other high schools at events for high school students. When the Crown Prince's family and Prince Akishino's family gather at our Residence and the grown-ups are engaged in conversation, Kako often looks after Aiko and Hisahito and plays with them. It gives me pleasure to watch the care and consideration Kako shows to others.

Hisahito entered Ochanomizu University Kindergarten, and seems to be enjoying kindergarten life. He loves insects, and in the autumn, he came to the Biological Laboratory of the Imperial Household and also the gardens of our Residence, and caught grasshoppers and mantes. He is also interested in fruits and enjoyed observing how the grapes were growing in the Biological Laboratory of the Imperial Household and picking persimmons, and so on. On Prince Akishino's birthday, when the Empress showed Hisahito a fragrant karin (Chinese quince) fruit that She had picked in the garden that day, Hisahito went around carrying that heavy fruit very dearly wherever he went; it was a most endearing sight.

Regarding the current state of the Crown Prince's family, as the Crown Princess is not well I would like to refrain from making any comments. Much is said about her official duties, but it is my hope that she will strive first and foremost to regain her health."

I realize that the questions that the Emperor answers are pre-screened, but still--the question was more like an exam question than an oral interview question.:ermm: The Emperor stressed the need for CP Masako to get well rather than her need to get back to her official duties, which shows more compassion than that of some Japanese commentators. He seems to mind not seeing more of Princess Aiko.

The press conference on the occasion of His Majesty's birthday 2010 is interesting to read.

Press Conference on the occasion of His Majesty's Birthday (2010) - The Imperial Household Agency

Question 3 - His Majesty talks about his family.

"Question 3
This is a question about the Imperial Family. As Your Majesty sees the four grandchildren at the Imperial Residence and at the Imperial Villas, You must be impressed by how they are growing up. Please tell us about the thoughts that have occurred to Your Majesty through Your contacts with Your grandchildren, perhaps by referring to some specific episodes. Princess Aiko, the eldest daughter of Their Imperial Highnesses the Crown Prince and Princess, has not been able to go to school in the normal way since March, and Crown Princess Masako has had to accompany Princess Aiko to school every day, which has prevented Crown Princess Masako from adequately performing her official duties. How does Your Majesty regard the current situation of the Crown Prince's family?

Regarding the current state of the Crown Prince's family, as the Crown Princess is not well I would like to refrain from making any comments. Much is said about her official duties, but it is my hope that she will strive first and foremost to regain her health."

According to the commentary on that CNN site, some Japanese are dismayed at the thought of Naruhito and Masako as Emperor and Empress.

Could they possibly be passed over, or is their elevation set in stone?

...Could they possibly be passed over, or is their elevation set in stone?
TIH the Crown Prince and the Crown Princess are the next Emperor and Empress of Japan.:flowers:
No one will pass them over, neither DIET, not the reigning Emperor. Let's not make further speculations of this kind, please.
The Constitution of Japan is absolutely clear about who is the heir of the throne.

:previous:
You are absolutely correct. There is the order to be followed. The commentaries on CNN website represent views of some Japanese, but not all of them. Strong criticism directed at Crown Princess Masako might be understandable. Prince Naruhito, on the other hand, fulfills his duties.

So for me what's more shocking is the picture itself.

Japanese royals plan to attend British royal wedding | CNNGo.com

Kasumi, you wrote "TIH Crown Prince and the Crown Princess are the next Emperor and Empress of Japan."

Take a look at the picture who is sitting in a storage seats (cargo section) in back of the van. The future Emperor...? I have never seen the royal family putting the future king or queen in way back of the van. TIH Crown Prince is trying to wave back at the people outside. And he is not able to do well in that position. Every time they take vacations this is how they seat in the van in Japan. And it infuriate the people who has strong respect for the royal family. This alone tell us that the Crown Princess of Japan is not able to perform her duty in sensible way. And it is very very sad.

I don't know the detail. But if Princess Aiko can not sit by herself without her mother Princess Masako, then both of them can sit in the back of van not the future Emperor.

To Mermaid1962, yes the emperor of Japan has asked TIH Crown Prince's family to come and visit him so many times. The Crown Prince's promises to visit him yet he was not able to deliver his promises. And as you can see, the emperor of Japan now only wish Princess Masako to get well.

The people of Japan is not so sure what kind of illness the Crown Princess Masako is suffering. She is able to go to spring ski vacation every year without any trouble skiing 3-4 hours at the time in the cold weather for a week. She is able to take her daughter to school every day for almost whole year and sitting in her class room, perhaps stating 10:30 in the morning until noon or even more. Without Princess Masako, her daughter is not able to go to the school and attend the classes at all now. So with all her doing we were not so sure what is the real cause of her illness. No press conference that I know of took the place by Princess Masako's doctor. We only hear his opinion written with the Crown Princess Masako's permission. I think the year before at her birthday
they were not able to make the statement on time. Because Princess Masako could not agree or confirm to share the letter with public and needed more time to rewrite with her doctor.

The people of Japan is not so sure what kind of illness the Crown Princess Masako is suffering. She is able to go to spring ski vacation every year without any trouble skiing 3-4 hours at the time in the cold weather for a week. She is able to take her daughter to school every day for almost whole year and sitting in her class room, perhaps stating 10:30 in the morning until noon or even more. Without Princess Masako, her daughter is not able to go to the school and attend the classes at all now.

Masako has been sitting in the classroom for an entire year?
That does seem very strange! Doesn't the school object?
What explanation has been given for this?

(I would think that her parents would prefer a private tutor for Aiko, rather than have her mother constantly at school. Or would that cause criticism?)

That does seem very strange! Doesn't the school object?
What explanation has been given for this?

(I would think that her parents would prefer a private tutor for Aiko, rather than have her mother constantly at school. Or would that cause criticism?)

I think I read on Princess Aiko's thread that she had started to walk home alone (although doesn't she have bodyguards?) in the afternoons and I presumed things were getting back to normal. I guess someone from Japan would know more about the situation.

This year the only time she went back home alone was when her mother the CP Masako had PTA. So she went back home by walking. I think 10 minutes at most. Otherwise she goes to the school by car with her mother and she is coming back home with her mother most time by car and a few times by walking. Also last year she went back home alone once which caused little confusion for SP. And this goes to her school trip as well. CP Masako accompanied her daughter and went to the fish cake company school visit which takes much more preparation because she is after all the Crown Princess. Again also it caused some questions to her duties. If CP Masako can visit the places why not her official duties. Same goes to her private outings, why not the official duties but she can go out. Not once but so many private outings compare to her official duties to meet even at her home.

Japanese people would like to hear from her doctor directly at the press conference rather than sjust letter that CP Masako willing to release on her birthday. Any other royal family member have a illness we often hear from their doctor at the press conference right away and it is always very clear to people now.

Last night there was an official announcement that the Emperor will undergo medical test for his heart after going through his yearly physical test the doctors found some problem. We wish him full recovery soon.

The Emperor and Empress, they are deeply concerned about the family of CP prince and princess as well as their grand daughter. As you can read this above statement.

Last month when the magazine mentioned that the CP Masako eagerly wanted to go to the wedding of Prince William and Kate. The Japanese people were surprised how she can do this trip to England. In the past 7 years she is not able to carry her other very simple official duties at even home.

I think just last month when CP Masako took her daughter to very private skating lesson the same day, there was an official visit by the CP Naruhito alone and excuse was she was not able to go out of Tokyo area. But this visit was 15 minutes away from the skating rinks. So you can see how Japanese people are reacting to the occasion of this wedding. But for some people it is not so surprise to hear that she wants to visit.
One of her complain was that since she became Princess and she was not able to go out side of Japan was too difficult for her. I guess her family always took the vacation in overseas.

Last edited:
Does the Crown Prince comment about the school situation?
It does seem very unhealthy for everyone involved.
Also, why does he not visit his father? If the Emperor is not well, he should visit frequently!

Does he not visit because he is still upset with the rest of the Imperial family, or is it because he is trying to be supportive of his wife?

(His behavior is almost as baffling as Masko's).

Does the Crown Prince comment about the school situation?
It does seem very unhealthy for everyone involved.
Also, why does he not visit his father? If the Emperor is not well, he should visit frequently!
(His behavior is almost as baffling as Masko's).

Hi Mirable,
Last year when the Crown Prince came back from the foreign Africa trip in late March. He made some comment, not very much at all. And after that I don't recall any press conference regarding the matter by the Crown Prince. The only the school attendance information was released every week by Mr. Nomura of the CP office.
Just recently CP's office mentioned the Princess Aiko missed couple days of shcool this week.
Feb 4, Friday Tardiness-starts around 10:00 AM and this was earliest ever she made to school with her mother CP Masako within couple months.
Fev 5, Visit the school exhibition at the department store in Ginza. The family left their home around 8:50 AM and over stayed at the department for an hour and forty minutes. Which the store was closed all that time for security reason and the excuse for overstay was "they had a good time".
Feb 6, Sunday No school
Feb 7 - 8 Missed the school
Feb 9 - 10 Late attendance with her mother
Feb 11 National Holiday
Feb 12 Skating in the morning- Closed the skating rink to public for half day.

It is sad that she can wake up early to go to fun place like the exhibition or skating but not her school. This goes to her mother CP Masako too. She can go to the skiing vacation and ski for hours and never miss those holidays. But she is not able to hold her duty as the CP.

I don't know the answer to the visiting his father issues.

I wonder whether this might be some kind of therapy for CP Masako. It gets her out of the palace for extended periods of time, yet it's not dealing with the public as a whole. It's a predictable, safe place. Has there been any suggestion that Princess Aiko might have a learning disability? If so, perhaps her mother is helping her.

(

I wonder whether this might be some kind of therapy for CP Masako. It gets her out of the palace for extended periods of time, yet it's not dealing with the public as a whole. It's a predictable, safe place. Has there been any suggestion that Princess Aiko might have a learning disability? If so, perhaps her mother is helping her.

How does one can use the occasion of someone's wedding ceremony for her therapy...? Especially if you are going there representing the Royal Family of Japan. And if she can make it...? Nobody knows. There had been so many canceled official duty just hours before, which causes so much problem for the people who are involved in preparations. One can only speculate Princess Aiko's issues. It will be much better situation if CP Naruhito came out and explain her situation rather than hiding it. After all The Royal Family is someone to look up to. So if there is a real issues with Princess Aiko, the people of Japan will except her for who she is and the people who have same issues will feel courage by watching how she is working hard to cope with the issues.

The CP Naruhito and CP Masako really likes to keep Japanese people's eye out of their life so much that we have no idea what is the truth.

The Emperor and Empress as well as Akishinomiya prince and princess are very open to public. They hold press conferences and discuss issues with honor and sincerely.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that going to the wedding would be a very bad PR move, unless it's a signal that CP Masako tends to take up more public duties on her return or if she makes some appearances before she leaves. In my previous reply, I wasn't discussing the wedding issue.

Is it possible that the Crown Prince simply isn't allowed to give interviews because previous ones have caused so much controversy. Perhaps he doesn't go by the "script" and has said things that weren't pre-approved.

How does one can use the occasion of someone's wedding ceremony for her therapy...? Especially if you are going there representing the Royal Family of Japan.

Is it possible that the Crown Prince simply isn't allowed to give interviews because previous ones have caused so much controversy. Perhaps he doesn't go by the "script" and has said things that weren't pre-approved.

I am not sure if he understand what he is faced with...
It is very sad to watch him not recognize the situation that he is in. At least that's how I see without his clear communication to the people of Japan now.
Everyone is waiting to hear soon at his birthday press conference.

The Emperor went through the test for his heart last Saturday and stayed in the hospital over night. The Emperor is back to work with his Empress on Monday. Then we hear durning last couple days the CP Naruhito had time to play tennis, jogging around out side of his home in the public and top of that he went skating with his family CP Masako and Princess Aiko using the public skating rink closed off from the public again on the last Saturday morning.

I guess CP Naruhito is not lined up with his duties very much. But for the people of Japan was wondering why doesn't he take more official duties to support his father who is getting older now. On the other hand visiting duties are not chosen by him but it is by invitation or asked by organization first then CP Office creates the plan accordingly. I can understand the hesitation to ask CP Naruhito now with the CP Masako being unstable with her illness. When you invite the CP, often they need to send invitation to both. As I wrote before the preparation takes cost and time. It is true if all of the sudden CP Masako could not attend, then they need to reprint the material which has cost.

The crown prince without his wife's support is not functioning well in this case. I guess.

Also there was an official statement from CP's office that all of the sudden they lost the head maid of honor for CP Masako without substitute for the position and care taker for Princess Aiko who was the head master of kindergarden almost same time. This occurred the end of last year or beginning of this year. There are so many people leaving their positions, 5 or 6 of them in a short time.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that going to the wedding would be a very bad PR move, unless it's a signal that CP Masako tends to take up more public duties on her return or if she makes some appearances before she leaves.

Definitely!
What will her own people think, if she is photographed smiling at the wedding in London, and then when she is back home, she again is too sick to make appearances?

If she is truly ill, I sympathize. But it appears from all that I have read that she is very selfish and wants to do only what she likes. She must realize how much she is damaging her husband's position, even if he doesn't.

As for not visiting his sick father, there is no excuse!

I hope Akishino and Kiko attend the wedding instead! Kiko will look lovely and will smile and act courteous to everyone.

Mariko's posts make an interesting reading. It is worth noting that it is not clear whether Crown Princess Masako will attend the wedding in question. If not, Crown Prince Naruhito will make a usual solo appearance. I will be greatly surprised to see Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko attending the event.

... I will be greatly surprised to see Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko attending the event.
Dear Al_bina,
I my opinion Zonk was right about the IF members to attend the royal wedding in UK.:)
... Honestly, I think they might send Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko. The British wedding is after all for the heirs heir. So it would make sense peerwise.

Mariko's posts make an interesting reading. It is worth noting that it is not clear whether Crown Princess Masako will attend the wedding in question. If not, Crown Prince Naruhito will make a usual solo appearance. I will be greatly surprised to see Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko attending the event.

The CP office said CP Masako's attending to the wedding is not sure yet will wait and see all depend how she feels, I guess. Although She is so eager to go. So eager that surprised many Japanese people....!!
Long time ago at the CP Masako's press conference she did mentioned that how hard it is not able to go overseas for her usual visiting/vacations....!!

But I know for sure CP Masako will go to the ski vacation at the end of March for about a week. She always go with CP Naruhito and Princess Aiko and quite often her sister's family joins them. I think the entire hotel is closed off to public, just as when she visit the department store last weekend for the exhibition of Aiko's school art fair or the skating on saturday morning at the public place. And if she over stayed and if the people see them and want to take pictures of them, that is not allowed by her unless staged from beginning.

People in Japan would like to hear her doctor's explanation at press conference, which was never happened before and I think will not. So you right Al_bina, It is worth noting that it is not clear!!

On February 15, 2011 Crown Prince Naruhito had vist at his house from Princess Wangchuck who had meeting in Kyoto for "The Earth Hall of Fame Kyoto". CP Masako did not meet her. I read the article of Princess Wangchuck. It was worth reading. The article is published in Japanese in Mainichi News Paper. You can use Google translation or Mainichi has English daily news, so soon as if they publish in there I will post the artilce.
Untile then here is the Japanese version.

ひと:ケサン・チョゼン・ワンチュク王女 - 毎日jp(毎日新聞)

I think I need to post this article in the different section of this forum. I will try to figure out but until then...Sorry about that.

:previous:
Actually Wangchuk is the family name of the Bhutan's Royal family.
HRH the Princess Ashi Kesang Choden Wangchuck is one of 5 sisters of the King. She is the daughter of ex-King and Queen Tsering Pem.
The Princess and her husband HH Palden Yoeser Thinley often represent the RF abroad (Japan, Thailand, Tonga, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom