State Visit from Ireland - February 13-15, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Humera

Moderator Emeritus
Country
Canada
Thank you to Little star who originally posted the news in the KA and QR news thread.

On Monday, President McAleese will arrive in Jordan to begin a three-day state visit at the invitation of their Majesties King Abdullah II and Queen Rania.
This visit will commence with a number of ceremonial events including a formal welcome ceremony at Basman Palace, a visit to the Martyrs’ Monument and a State dinner hosted by the King and Queen. The President will also address the Royal Jordanian Parliament and meet with the Prime Minister of Jordan.
Other events on the President’s programme will include a number of Irish community receptions and visits to the King Hussein Cancer Centre and the World Heritage Site at Petra.
Daily Ireland

Last edited:
Little_star said:
Excellent, after all it's been 2-3 years since the Jordanian visit to Ireland. Am I correct in thinking this is the first state visit to Jordan?

excellent news indeed! and may I say its about time.
KA and QR visited Ireland in March 2004.
Not counting the various official visits from different non-royal heads of state, this just might be the first state visit to Jordan since the beginning of KA's reign, which might explain the official welcoming ceremony at the Basman palace, the state dinner etc.

btw, im so glad you spotted this piece of news Little star. Its always nice to have a few days' notice for events like this. Now I wont have to bug Alexandria to move posts and start a new thread!....well, at least this time anyway.;)

~*~Humera~*~ said:
...this just might be the first state visit to Jordan since the beginning of KA's reign, which might explain the official welcoming ceremony at the Basman palace, the state dinner etc.

Please don't forget the Italian President's state visit in early 2001. There are a few of pics at Olycom (the Italian photo agency). Also the President of Slovenia visited in early 2002. Queen Rania wore that beautiful thobe for the official dinner.

An article on the Italian State Visit:
http://www.jordanembassyus.org/02122001004.htm

TC
Love
Barbara

Thanx barbara, I completely forgot about the Italian visit.
There are so few pictures from that visit though.

Last edited:
I ddn't realise the Italian visit had been a state vist, I'd always thought there hadn't been any so far.

intresting , I am sure we will see great pictures for the lovely Queen .

yes i agree.....i cannot wait to see her

the pres of ireland arrived in aman today but was not received by king or queen. does that still mean it is a state visit?

It is a state visit. According to the article in the first post there will be a welcoming ceremony at Basman palace and a state dinner hosted by the King and Queen.

President of Ireland arrives in Amman

Amman,Feb.13(Petra)-- In a response to His Majesty King Abdullah's invitation, President of Ireland Mary McAleese and her husband Martin McAleese have started her four-day visit to Amman on Monday. During her four-day official visit, the Irish President is expected to hold talks with His Majesty King Abdullah at the Royal Court on the bilateral relations and means of promoting them various fields. Wardat/Petra
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2006/Feb/13/30645800.htm

Pictures from Petra

Welcoming ceremony

from terra

Attachments

• 7207741c13e3bg.jpg
    7207741c13e3bg.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 364
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 459
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 385
Images from getty

Attachments

• 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 404
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 397
more pictures from ANP and Gettyimages

Attachments

• 2388387.jpg
    2388387.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 319
  • 2388388.jpg
    2388388.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 270
  • 2388400.jpg
    2388400.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 356
  • 56843979.jpg
    56843979.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 464
King Receives Irish President

Amman, Feb. 14 (Petra)-- His Majesty King Abdullah II held discussions on Tuesday with President of Ireland Mary McAleese on the bilateral relations in the various fields and means of enhancing them for the interests of both peoples, particularly in the economic, educational, cultural, and information technology domains. The discussions also covered the political developments in the region as well as the efforts that have been exerted to push the peace process forward.
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2006/Feb/14/30682700.htm

Pictures from Petra

Irish President Visits King Hussein Cancer Center

Amman, Feb. 14 (Petra)-- Irish President Mary McAleese visited the King Hussein Cancer Center, KHCC, on Tuesday, on the first day of a several-day visit to Jordan. President McAleese was received by HRH Princess Ghaida Talal, Chairperson of the King Hussein Cancer Foundation (KHCF) Board of Trustees, KHCF Director General HRH Princess Dina Mired as well as KHCC Director general Dr. Samir Khleif and Deputy Director General Dr. Mahmoud Sahran.
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2006/Feb/14/30687600.htm

Pictures from Petra - Princess Ghida is seen in the first picture

Thanks for the pictures, Humera. Will there be a banquet or gala dinner? I would have thought there woudl be what with it being a state visit.

yes there is to be a state dinner. I dont know if its tonight though.
There are no pictures on Petra yet.

Irish President Concludes Visit</STRONG>
Pet0318 4 0223 Irish President Concludes Visit Amman, Feb. 16 (Petra)--His Majesty King Abdullah II saw off Irish President Mary McAleese and her accompanying upon concluding an official visit to the Kingdom. The Irish president has started a two-day private visit to Jordan. President McAleese was also seen off at the King Hussein Airport in Aqaba by Transport Minister Saud Nseirat, Aqaba Governor Khaled Awad and other officials. The Irish president had earlier arrived in Aqaba on a short visit, during which she met with President of the Aqaba Special Economic Zone Authority (ASEZA) Nadir Thahabi who briefed her on the ASEZA and accomplishments that have been achieved over the past five years. The ASEZA attracted investment totaling $2 billion. This represents 30 percent of the expected volume of investments in the strategic plan for the zone, which extends to 20 years. //Petra// om 161334 Local FEB 2006 
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2006/Feb/16/30739800.htm

well this is very strange and disappointing.
The state banquet was on Tuesday night and Petra had no pictures.

Banquet held in honour of Irish president
AMMAN (Petra) — Their Majesties King Abdullah and Queen Rania held a banquet in honour of Irish President Mary McAleese and her husband Martin McAleese on Tuesday. Members of the Royal family, senior officials, officers and parliamentarians attended the dinner banquet.
http://www.jordantimes.com/wed/homenews/homenews10.htm

Oh well, there's still the Spanish state visit to look forward to!
Royal state visits always get more attention.

i think i speak for a number of us when i say that this was a pretty lame state visit. i was hoping to see pics of the banquet and a nice ceremonial departure. oh well - thanks to those who did post pics.

well you wont hear any arguments from me!
I am quite annoyed.
I checked Petra several times Tuesday night and I think something was wrong with the website that day. They didnt do any updates until late wednesday.
Sometimes Petra can be really thorough with their coverage, other times they completely ignore important events.
They didnt even have any pics of KA and QR's visit to the Pope last year.
They better not do this during the Spanish visit.

Back
Top Bottom