State visit from Singapore - November 18-22, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Humera

Moderator Emeritus
Country
Canada
Singaporean President to Visit Jordan

Amman, Nov. 15 (Petra)—The President of Singapore S.R. Nathan and his spouse Mrs. Nathan will begin a several-day official visit to Jordan on Saturday. Petra

President S R Nathan to visit Egypt and Jordan

President S R Nathan will make state visits to Egypt and Jordan from Tuesday till November 22. Channel NewsAsia

Last edited:
Designer

Evening gown is from Rochas spring/summer 2006. She wore it to a dinner for the Arab International Women's Forum in London, England, on April 20, 2006. For the first time ever — or at least publicly — she appears to be repeating evening gowns she has worn before (and I don't mean wearing the same dress in a different colour, like she did with the Gucci dress). I've noticed this for the last two state visits to Jordan.

http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2006/Nov/18/16992I.htm

Last edited:
For me, Rania on the first photo looks so tired...
On the second she has this strange face...The dress is nice.

I love the skirt and the top.
Is it just me or it seems that none of them seem excited, so calm, no emotions at all:neutral:

I like the skirt,but I won't say the same about the top,too formal for a gala dinner,and I don't know what Rania thinks when she puts those belts everywhere,it' becomes too boring.

I also think that Rania is not the same from a while(not only after whe broke her ankle),she seems away like if something wrong is going there,hope nothing bad is happening to her.

TamaraKhan said:
I like the skirt,but I won't say the same about the top,too formal for a gala dinner,and I don't know what Rania thinks when she puts those belts everywhere,it' becomes too boring.

I also think that Rania is not the same from a while(not only after whe broke her ankle),she seems away like if something wrong is going there,hope nothing bad is happening to her.

I thought for a while that it was her bad foot that was causing her to look the way she does, but you're right, she does seem out of it lately. She seems like she's very introspective and just lost in her own thoughts. From the pictures she seems to be there physically but that was it. Maybe there's some truth to the rumors about the couple, or maybe it's just that those rumors are getting to her.

Does anyone living in Jordan hear anything of why she's been looking so sad lately?

Last edited:
Once again Rania is wearing a beautiful gown for the state banquet . Very elegant !:flowers:

I love what shes wearing especially the skirt !

I know its tempting to speculate about the private lives of public figures but we cant read anybody's thoughts or feelings just by looking at a few photos.

Please try to stay focused on the topic at hand.

Thank you all for your cooperation

Humera
Royal Family of Jordan Moderator

asturiana said:
Queen Rania Receives the WWSF Prize for Prevention of Child Abuse (Petra)

Amman, Nov. 19 (Petra)—Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah accompanied the Singaporean first lady Urmila Nathan on a visit to the Queen Rania Family and Child Center at Jordan River Foundation.

http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2006/Nov/19/210000.htm

Pictures

http://s2.supload.com/free/17025I.jpg/view/
http://s2.supload.com/free/17026I.jpg/view/
http://s2.supload.com/free/17027I.jpg/view/

Its wonderful that the JRF is getting such well-deserved praise. Queen Rania must be very proud of her foundation. It has done amazing work over the last decade and more and its great to see it being recognized internationally.
I love the first picture of Rania with her arm around the first lady, very sweet.

Prime Minister hosts lunch banquette in the honor of Singaporean President

Amman, Nov. 19 (Petra)-- In the honor of Singaporean President S R Nathan and his spouse, currently on a visit to Jordan, Prime Minister Marouf Bakhit and his wife hosted a launch banquette in the presence of HRH Princess Sumayya bent Al Hassan, a number of ministers, the Spokesperson of the government and the President's accompanying delegation. Petra

For his part, Singaporean President S R Nathan said "We are delighted to be here in Amman on our first State Visit to Jordan and the Middle East region."
Article - Part 2

Pictures from the lunch banquet (Princess Sumayyah is pictured in the last two photos)
Image Gallery - Click Here

I cant believe how rania looked while welcoming the Singapore visit, im mean from face expressions to outfits and so on. I dont understand what she was wearing( her style used to be more suitable for a queen). Her gala wear skirt was beautiful, but the top showing one shoulder was inappropriate and I also think matching a belt with every ouutfit is not wisable imo. She looked much better and happier at the WWSF Prize for Prevention of Child Abuse, that was a great outfit.
I dont think her broken leg/ankle is an excuse of the way one looks.
Does anyone know the agenda for the next two days? will there be another gala dinner?

Last edited:
There have been a few receptions for the president and first lady of Singapore but I dont know if there will be another one involving the King and Queen. Unless there's a return-gala, hosted by the guests (like the King Abdullah and Queen Rania often do on state visits abroad)

Reception Held in Honor of Singaporean President
Amman, Nov. 20 (Petra)—Jordan's non-resident ambassador to Singapore Maher Lokasha and the Honorary Consul of Singapore in Jordan George Haddad held a reception in honor of the Singaporean president and his spouse, who are currently on a visit to the Kingdom. Petra

Singaporean President visits Jarash
Jarash, Nov. 20 (Petra) President of Singapore S. R. Nathan on Monday visited the ancient Roman city of Jerash, about 50 kms north of Amman and toured historical sites in the city. Petra

Singaporean President and his wife vote for Petra City
Petra, Nov. 20 (Petra)-- President of Singapore S R Nathan and his spouse have voted for Petra city to be chosen one of the World Seven Wonders. Petra

Singapore, Jordan to boost info-comm, technology collaboration
AMMAN, Jordan: Singapore and Jordan are set to boost collaboration in the areas of Information, Communications and Technology (ICT).

This was discussed at a meeting between the Minister for Information, Communication and the Arts, Dr Lee Boon Yang, and Jordan's Minister for Communications and Information Technology, Mr Omar Alkurdi. Channel News Asia

President Nathan says Singapore and Jordan stand firm in the fight against terrorism
JORDAN: Singapore and Jordan stand firm in the fight against terrorism.

Making the point was President S R Nathan who has arrived in Jordan for a state visit.

His first stop was the capital Amman where he commemorated the building of a vocational training centre by Singapore and Jordan.
. . .
Jordan was one of only four countries which co-sponsored Singapore's admission to the United Nations in September 1965.

It is also the first Middle East country to have a Free Trade Agreement with Singapore. Channel News Asia

Last edited:
Thanks for the photos. Is the Singapore president Indian?

I love Rania's outfit, especially the gala skirt/top combo, I'd been hoping she'd wear it again as there were so few photos the first time.
The photos from the Prizegiving are great and she looks really happy to be there. It's good something that she works so hard for is being recognised.

Yes, Singapore president is an Indian.
Dazzling mentioned that Rania's gala dress show 1 shoulder is inappropriate, I think it isn't true. I think it's quite OK for Rania's gala dress in S'pore gala dinner.

What about the president's wife? is she of Indian descent as well? I noticed that she needs help while walking, she was holding a woman's hand in one picture yesterday and there was that picture of Queen Rania's arm around her as well. Is she unwell or is it a weight-related issue?

Thanks s_yin.

Here's a profile of the Singapore President
LINK

I can't find much about his wife, Urmila Nandey. Although the love story between them is very romantic. She is 76 though (she does not look it!) so I'm not surprised if she needs a bit of assistance every now and again!
LINK
LINK

s_yin said:
Yes, Singapore president is an Indian.
Dazzling mentioned that Rania's gala dress show 1 shoulder is inappropriate, I think it isn't true. I think it's quite OK for Rania's gala dress in S'pore gala dinner.

I agree, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Rania showing a tiny bit of bare shoulder in that top, she looks very elegant and chic as always. If she had her cleavage on display then yes it would shock me as she is a muslim woman but really what is the big deal here?

Not sure about the big black belt..although I can understand that she wants to create a separating point for the top and the skirt. She certainly likes her belts and seems to wear them with just about everything.

As for her demeanour she seems fine to me, you can't be smiling inanely at the camera every single second. The cameras are taking pictures of you all the time and there will be moments when they will catch you in what might be called "repose" when you face is fairly neutral.

I'm sure Rania has had quite a difficult time with her broken ankle, I understand breaking ankles and wrists hurt much more than other bones. I feel sorry for her having to travel around from one place to the next, it's exhausting enough when you are fit let alone when you are probably feeling a pretty fragile and sore.

I hope she is fully recovered now.

President of Singapore wraps up visit to Jordan

Amman, Nov. 22 (Petra)—President of Singapore S. R. Nathan and spouse on Wednesday wrapped up a five day official visit to Jordan upon an invitation from Their Majesties King Abdullah II and Queen Rania. Petra

Petra pictures:
Image Gallery - Click Here

Its too bad there wasn't a second gala hosted by the guests. But not to despair, with more high profile guests coming to Jordan and another state visit, I think we can look forward to some more glamour yet.;)

Back
Top Bottom