Queen Alia Information and Pictures: Part 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have aquestion about the late Queen Alia. Was she circassian or palestinean? I heard that she was a circassian en if she really was. Than I can understand the love of his son Prince Ali for the cicassian people.

I think Alia was very petite and unless she was wearing high heels, she was not taller than the King. Queen Noor OTOH is pretty tall.

Joumana said:
I have aquestion about the late Queen Alia. Was she circassian or palestinean? I heard that she was a circassian en if she really was. Than I can understand the love of his son Prince Ali for the cicassian people.

i learn about the history of her family "aal toqan" ,that there roots befor 1700
go to area called "al qauqaz" in the turkish state at that time ,but they travelled to palestine to be the ruler of nabuls "the sultan told them" and from that time they live in nabuls and be palestinian as us ,
and they have a big history in fight against israeli and british occupation .

but we dont know if they are realy turkish "circassian" or travelled to be in the center of the "khilafa" as many families do but now they are palistinian
that no one can say Ibraheem Toqan is not palestinian

i hope that this could answers some of your questions.

Last edited:
Alilover said:
i learn about the history of her family "aal toqan" ,that there roots befor 1700
go to area called "al qauqaz" in the turkish state at that time ,but they travelled to palestine to be the ruler of nabuls "the sultan told them" and from that time they live in nabuls and be palestinian as us ,
and they have a big history in fight against israeli and british occupation .

but we dont know if they are realy turkish "circassian" or travelled to be in the center of the "khilafa" as many families do but now they are palistinian
that no one can say Ibraheem Toqan is not palestinian

i hope that this could answers some of your questions.

Thanks for your answer.
I asked this question because I know the way how prince Ali loves circassians people. So I think maybe because of the roots of his mother en his roots also after his Hashemite roots.

I thought about this on Christmas Day that it would have been her birthday.:sad: I keep waiting for someone to bring out a full-length English language biography of her because I think she is a totally fascinating figure. Rest in peace, Alia.

A few days ago they broadcastet some Doku about King Hussein where they accompanied him for about three weeks in late 1977. (Most of the story was about his military actions and showed him in uniform with his troups) I think it was October. And I know it was the year Alia died. But in which month?

Queen Alia was Queen from Dec. 25th, I believe, 1972 until Feb. 9, 1977 when she was killed. Her preoccupations were with the disabled, women and children and overall health issues. Many projects in her name were/are chaired by KH's sister and a few now by Princess Haya (please correct me if I am getting her title wrong). Such was her commitment to women's issues, she attended a conference of ME women held in Egypt w/in 2 weeks of Prince Ali's birth. I read this in Jehan Sadat's memoirs.

She did make it clear family was first priority and had no official office anywhere, per Haya's recollection. She spent most of her time at home wearing jeans and a t-shirt saying "I Love Hussein." She did not shirk functions, royal engagements and state visits but her husband and children--and the kids were very young--were her focus and it is likely that, as they grew, she would have established an office and taken on more causes. Fascinating lady! And when I say she did not shirk her duties--well, she died trying to help solve an issue in Aqaba at a hospital where people were complaining their treatment was bad. She immediately flew off and her helicopter crashed on the way home in a sudden sandstorm. KH, in his video bio, mentioned there were 2 helicopters flying together. The one she was on crashed; but I never heard if the other did, as well.

Yes, yes and no. Queen Alia was inspecting a hospital which many people were complaining about, that's why after her death she was named "The martyr of human duty" (In Arabic Shaheedat Al-Wajeb Al-Insani). There were indeed two helicopters but they split earlier. It was foggy on that day in many parts of Jordan and the official report on the crash that was made public stated that the pilot hit the ground while trying to find an elevation that was free of fog. The pilot, however, was Bader, one of the best if not the best in Jordan at that time.

The report that was not made public stated that it was a bomb planted by CIA operatives in Jordan in an attempt to kill King Hussein because he refused to join the Camp David peace agreement.

Now here is the really sad story. Jordanians did not like Queen Alia but she earned our respect after she died because of the way she died, the cause she died for and because (for the first time in our life) we saw King Hussein devastated and crying almost like a baby. Obviously, he loved her so much.

and what did she mean by saying I know I have produced a Crown Prince and that is something......" , is this the only important thing she did,

Unfortunately Suria, for many men in the Middle East, giving birth to a male baby IS the only important thing. Sad, but true.

On another note, Prince Ali would have been king now had Alia not died so early. Ali spent several crucial years without a mother while King Hussein was stressed out in the post camp david period while the Americans were pushing him to join camp david. Furthermore, the invasion of Lebanon was imminent and the King was worried about Jordan getting sucked into a war. Thus, Prince Ali was the most ignored prince.

And what about Queen Noor? When Queen Noor (then Elizbeth Al-Halabi) visited the palace for the first time, and due to the similarity in the hair color between Noor and Alia, it is said that Ali and Haya ran towards her screaming "mama, mama...". King Hussein was deeply moved by this but Queen Noor was not. She never connected or showed affection to Ali.

As a consequence of all the factors above, Prince Ali has low self-esteem and never graduated from college. Otherwise, I am of the opinion that he would have been King NOW.

It was the Circassian guards at the palace who actually paid attention to Ali, they played with him, taught him their language and Circassian dancing and kept him out of trouble. Had it not been for them, he would have been a criminal by now. That's why he likes Circassians so much, it has nothing to do with his mother having Circassian roots, I'm not even sure this is true.

I want to know 2 things???
Did KHussein has a romance with QNoor when he was with QAlia???
If QAlia not died, was KHussein married with QNoor???

Highly unlikely. Queen Alia died in February 1977 and the airport project (which led to King Hussein meeting Queen Noor) started in 1977 but I do not know which month.

Actually, the King did not meet Queen Noor until the first Boeing 747 was delivered to Jordan, that was much later in 1977 and possibly in 1978. The meeting was orchestrated by Queen Noor's father (who was with the crew who delivered the 747) but neither King Hussein nor Queen Noor knew what he had in mind.

Does anyone know what steps Queen Alia took to prevent honour killings in Jordan?

You can not stop honor killings. Murder is illegal all over the world and has always been that way, yet murders continue to take place.

People think that honor killings are allowed in Jordan but they are NOT and the people who commit them get prosecuted and sentenced to Jail. The problem is, they often get paroled out of jail before serving the complete sentence.

Honor Killing is a murder with specific conditions which are fulfilled when a woman in the family engages in premarital sex.

Thank you Hilal for the pictures. I never seen pictures from the day Queen Alia was laid to rest. It would be good if membersd who have magazines or newspapers about Queen Alia could scan them for us to see, please :flowers:

Unfortunately Suria, for many men in the Middle East, giving birth to a male baby IS the only important thing. Sad, but true.

On another note, Prince Ali would have been king now had Alia not died so early. Ali spent several crucial years without a mother while King Hussein was stressed out in the post camp david period while the Americans were pushing him to join camp david. Furthermore, the invasion of Lebanon was imminent and the King was worried about Jordan getting sucked into a war. Thus, Prince Ali was the most ignored prince.

And what about Queen Noor? When Queen Noor (then Elizbeth Al-Halabi) visited the palace for the first time, and due to the similarity in the hair color between Noor and Alia, it is said that Ali and Haya ran towards her screaming "mama, mama...". King Hussein was deeply moved by this but Queen Noor was not. She never connected or showed affection to Ali.

As a consequence of all the factors above, Prince Ali has low self-esteem and never graduated from college. Otherwise, I am of the opinion that he would have been King NOW.

It was the Circassian guards at the palace who actually paid attention to Ali, they played with him, taught him their language and Circassian dancing and kept him out of trouble. Had it not been for them, he would have been a criminal by now. That's why he likes Circassians so much, it has nothing to do with his mother having Circassian roots, I'm not even sure this is true.

This is very sad from two small children too young to know

Now here is the really sad story. Jordanians did not like Queen Alia but she earned our respect after she died because of the way she died, the cause she died for and because (for the first time in our life) we saw King Hussein devastated and crying almost like a baby. Obviously, he loved her so much.

That is very interesting DrHH. I hear that Queen Zein, Prince Hassan and others did not go to wedding because they blame Alia for King Hussein divorcing Princess Muna. Is that true? How did ordinary Jordanians feel?

Yes, yes and no. Queen Alia was inspecting a hospital which many people were complaining about, that's why after her death she was named "The martyr of human duty" (In Arabic Shaheedat Al-Wajeb Al-Insani). There were indeed two helicopters but they split earlier. It was foggy on that day in many parts of Jordan and the official report on the crash that was made public stated that the pilot hit the ground while trying to find an elevation that was free of fog. The pilot, however, was Bader, one of the best if not the best in Jordan at that time.

The report that was not made public stated that it was a bomb planted by CIA operatives in Jordan in an attempt to kill King Hussein because he refused to join the Camp David peace agreement.

Since this is not true why should we think the other parts of this story are true? KH was still indebted to the Israelis, who saved him from the Palestinian murder Arafat in Black September. It really didn't matter if Jordan signed a peace treaty or not; they were not a threat to Israel or to the region's "stabiliiy."

Last edited:
I was reading this thread and became paralyzed. I always believed that Queen Alia was much beloved by Jordanian people...So, was she respected -and even not "loved" - after her death? What a sad thing...:neutral: My only tought about it is that sometimes, people are unjust over women . Poor Queen Alia became guilty of the divorce before the eyes of the Jordanian people and Queen's mother. I imagine they said she "seduced him" to make him broke with Princess Muna. It could have been. But the truth is that the King could have said plainly "no"...And he didn't. He was married more than once; so on WHOM could people set the guilt of all the affair? I will not answer it, for the answer came all by itself.

You cannot accuse me of favoritism for women. Since all people who read my messages at the Royal Forums knows I'm not a feminist and that I'm far of being one. I'm only a person who believes in justice. For women and men. A traditionalist in the right sense of the word. :D

I'm curious about what was the Jordanian people feelings about Princess Muna, mother of the current Monarch of the country.Does they love her?

Vanesa.

Since this is not true why should we think the other parts of this story are true? KH was still indebted to the Israelis, who saved him from the Palestinian murder Arafat in Black September. It really didn't matter if Jordan signed a peace treaty or not; they were not a threat to Israel or to the region's "stabiliiy."

You should not believe that anything I write is true. You should verify facts on your own, collect as many as possible and then you can put the puzzle together or at least figure out what is most likely to be true and what is most likely a rumor.

If you take a look at the State Department's website (Henry A. Kissinger) you will find out that Henry Kissinger visited Jordan 10 times between Nov. 1973 and Sep. 1975 but then the visits stopped throughout 1976 and there were no visits to Jordan until Cyrus Vance's visit in Feb. 18, 1977, nine days after the helicopter crash. Although this by itself is not proof of anything, it supports the argument that the Americans were not happy with King Hussein's refusal to join Saddat in Camp David. It is not a matter of threat, the USA, although committed to Israel's survival, are also interested in bringing the Arab-Israeli conflict to conclusion.

Israel had no role in September 1970 and I am not sure what you meant by "Stability".

That is very interesting DrHH. I hear that Queen Zein, Prince Hassan and others did not go to wedding because they blame Alia for King Hussein divorcing Princess Muna. Is that true? How did ordinary Jordanians feel?

Personally, I believe that the blame on Alia was more of an "Anger Displacement". Jordan was and remains a relatively conservative country. In 1972, divorces in the Christian community were forbidden and divorces in the Muslim community were rare. So, for the King to divorce and re-marry and in the same year, was too much for the Jordanians to accept. But we loved our King so much that we shifted our anger towards Queen Alia.

Queen Alia's first public appearances did not help much either. She spoke so slowly and so softly that she sounded like a 5 year old girl. That's when Jordanians said to themselves "Oh my God, what was the King thinking"

But like I said before, her death changed EVERYTHING.

Highly unlikely. Queen Alia died in February 1977 and the airport project (which led to King Hussein meeting Queen Noor) started in 1977 but I do not know which month.

Actually, the King did not meet Queen Noor until the first Boeing 747 was delivered to Jordan, that was much later in 1977 and possibly in 1978. The meeting was orchestrated by Queen Noor's father (who was with the crew who delivered the 747) but neither King Hussein nor Queen Noor knew what he had in mind.

i have a magazine called royal romances about king hussein and queen noor and it says

' At the beginning of 1976, Jordan's ministers and civic dignataries lined up at Amman International Airport to greet the arrival of Jordan's first jumbo jet. Hussein, radiant in his aorforce uniform, was presented to the line, but paused for more than the usual length of time when he was introduced to Lisa Halaby. It was clear to everyone present that the tall girl with the long honey blonde hair had made an impact on the king.

He made frequent visits to the airport and it was not long before workers in the administrative office noticed that the king would make a detour on the way to the boardroom to pause in the office where Lisa Halaby was working.'

About Queen Alia, it says

'It was this strain and the arrival on the scene of a beautiful young public relations officer, Alia Toukan at Amman airport that finally ended the marriage (to Princess Muna). Hussein was in love with another woman and made no secret of the fact.

There was no rancour involved in the separation from Muna. Hussein who accepted responsibility for the divorce, made certain that Muna was well cared for.

She was given a palace in Amman - where she still lives with her parents, together with a house in Washington and a generous allowance as settlement. The only condition that Hussein imposed on her was that she should never talk about their relationship.

Many believe that Hussein's third marriage was the first true love match in is life. Lisa Halaby, of course, had yet to enter the picture.

The romance with Alia was truly a whirlwind one and Hussein lost no time in proposing to the striking beauty. 'He was like a little boy with a new toy' said one friend of the family. ' He wanted to show Alia to everyone and toured the length and breadth of Jordan by car and helicopter to ensure that everyone should see his conquest.'

'He was bowled over by Alia's beauty' said a Jordanian journalist. 'You could see he was moon-eyed, quite obsessed with the woman.' The two were clearly deeply in love when they were married on the following Christmas Eve. Alia bore Hussein two children, a princess Haya, and a prince, Ali. They adopted a baby girl, Abir, who had been orphaned in an air crash. It was on a February evening in 1977 that Hussein, waiting at the airport to meet Alia, was told that her helicopter had crashed in a desert sandstorm and there were no survivors.

Hussein was plunged into a black depression after Alia's death. Alia's death affected him greatly. In his anguish, Hussein turned to his ex-wife Princess Muna, and her family and spent many tearful hours with them before plunging himself back into the affairs of state.

Significantly, the Jordanian's themselves admit that the great national love for Alia only took place after her death in such tragic circumstances.'

Last edited:
And let these wonderful pictures be the last post in this thread.
The new thread for the late Queen Alia can be found here.

Thanks to everyone who contributed! :flowers:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom