Princess Muna: Current Events 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So Dina lost her title, as well? I don't know. Did King Hussein petition for the divorce? I read they had been quarreling before she left for Egypt and some of the problems in their marriage occured because Dina was widely regarded as "an intellectual" who had a circle of like-minded friends. Some of their theories about how KH should rule did not sit well with him. I wonder if some of Dina's "well meaning" friends (insert sarcasm) reported back some inaccuracies about Dina to KH. That is what was implied in a book called "King Hussein" by an author whose name escapes me now. I have it put away in my room and will dig it out and try to write the associated paragraphs. It certainly might explain KH's fury--as one has to be very, very angry to keep Dina from her young daughter, and it just doesn't seem in keeping with his character.

lil Monkey said:
well if KH did divorce Princess Muna,she wouldn't be called princess nowadays she would have lost the title,but she never did,which means,he never divorced her, or well at least that's what I know.

lil Monkey said:
well if KH did divorce Princess Muna,she wouldn't be called princess nowadays she would have lost the title,but she never did,which means,he never divorced her, or well at least that's what I know.

not necessarily. King Hussein would've allowed her to keep the title of Princess because she was the mother of 4 of his kids including his first son.
Just like when Princess Diana was divorced she was allowed to keep the title of Princess. Other royal women have also kept their titles in some form after a divorce, more recently, Princess Alexandra of Denmark. Isnt Princess Firyal divorced as well?

~*~Humera~*~ said:
not necessarily. King Hussein would've allowed her to keep the title of Princess because she was the mother of 4 of his kids including his first son.
Just like when Princess Diana was divorced she was allowed to keep the title of Princess. Other royal women have also kept their titles in some form after a divorce, more recently, Princess Alexandra of Denmark. Isnt Princess Firyal divorced as well?

well,my knowledge is humble when it comes to royal issues,but I THINK,I am not sure,the Jordanian constitution states that when the king divorces his wife she looses the title.
I know Queen DIna did loose the title ,cuz she remarried after KH.

Alls well that ends well, princess or queen, friend or outcast, she is the king's mother and has some respect at last! She deserves it, she definitely seems very dignified.:rolleyes:

lil Monkey said:
well,my knowledge is humble when it comes to royal issues,but I THINK,I am not sure,the Jordanian constitution states that when the king divorces his wife she looses the title.

well I think that only applies to women who remarry after their divorce from a royal, even then it is not always the case in all countries (Princess Alexandra of Denmark will lose her "princess" title if she remarries but she'll still be a Countess)
Both Princess Firyal and Princess Muna didnt remarry after their divorces which is why they still have their titles

Antoinette (Toni) Avril Gardiner (born Chelmondiston, England, in 1941) renamed Muna al-Hussein on conversion to Islam) before her marriage to King Hussein (November 14, 1935 - February 7, 1999), the King of Jordan (1952-1999) on May 25, 1961.
An award-winning field hockey player, former typist, and daughter of a British army officer turned innkeeper, Ltn. Col Walter Percy Gardiner, she was given the title Princess Muna al Hussein on January 30, 1962. They divorced in 1972.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Muna_al-Hussein

The 1972 divorce between KH and Princess Muna is also mentioned here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/276136.stm

and here:
http://www.royalty.nu/MiddleEast/Jordan/Hussein.html

Last edited:
I've always sympathized with Princess Muna. She must not had thought that one day her son would become the king!! What a big compensation to her!! She deserved it so much!

Why did the King divorce her??? Is it because after 10 years of marriage, he got tired of her and plus he met the beautiful and charming Queen Alia?? No matter how charming Queen Alia was, the King should not have had divorced her. Poor Muna...but isnt this one of the common fates of many women...

~*~Humera~*~ said:
well I think that only applies to women who remarry after their divorce from a royal, even then it is not always the case in all countries (Princess Alexandra of Denmark will lose her "princess" title if she remarries but she'll still be a Countess)
Both Princess Firyal and Princess Muna didnt remarry after their divorces which is why they still have their titles

Antoinette (Toni) Avril Gardiner (born Chelmondiston, England, in 1941) renamed Muna al-Hussein on conversion to Islam) before her marriage to King Hussein (November 14, 1935 - February 7, 1999), the King of Jordan (1952-1999) on May 25, 1961.
An award-winning field hockey player, former typist, and daughter of a British army officer turned innkeeper, Ltn. Col Walter Percy Gardiner, she was given the title Princess Muna al Hussein on January 30, 1962. They divorced in 1972.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Muna_al-Hussein

well thats what we all knew,till KH appointed KA as the CP back in 1998,that's when people said that it turned out that he didn't really divorce her...oh well,what difference does it make,she's the mother of the king now ;)

Whether or not it was part of the divorce decree as reported in King Hussein by Roland Dallas and other books, I think Muna would have maintained her silence on the matter. She strikes me as a very discreet, selfless person.

Princess Muna Patronizes Ceremony
Pictures from Petra:

King Hussein's wives

It would appear that although he was a respected, hard working, peace making King, KH was not at all sensitive to any of his wives feelings - maybe not such a good husband (and we all know the rumours)

He was a lucky man, to have married the women he did, no matter what their background, life with him must have been difficult.

I give Muna credit for choosing to stay in a not so friendly environment. She wasn't welcomed during marriage - how much harder to stay when those jackals were closing in for the kill, ready to ridicule even more than before.

She chose to stay near her children. She has been a good mother and was a good wife to Hussein, even if there was no longer any love there. She deserves respect for that.

Princess Muna looks radiant at her age..She looks awesome..

I agree. Princess Mune looks much better than Queen Noor.

What was the real reason behind princess Mouna's divorce from King Hussein?
This was never mentioned in any article or book that I know of; saying simply "they divorced in 1972". I admire her discretion never talking about it etc. but enquiring minds want to know....
Any insight?

truth said:
I agree. Princess Mune looks much better than Queen Noor.
Mahoogie said:
Princess Muna looks radiant at her age..She looks awesome..
She does look radiant, this expression suits her, I said before she looks much better when she was older( in her middle 30s and above more than she was in her 20s), she seems to gain more beauty and glamour as she grows old and that is an advantage.
Wonder if she is botoxed? I don't think so, she looks natural and right on her age......

I think Princess Muna looks very beautiful, and is one of the lucky people who look better as they age - must be that "English Rose" complexion! Does anyone know if her father still lives in Jordan with her?

bijoux said:
I think Princess Muna looks very beautiful, and is one of the lucky people who look better as they age - must be that "English Rose" complexion! Does anyone know if her father still lives in Jordan with her?
I think she is, I wonder about her father too, does he live with her? Also, did he convert to Islam? I don't read much about Muna and I really would like to know about her mother? I assume from her absence that she passed away:confused: If so, I would like to know, when and why.
Also, since I've seen so many pictures of QN and QA in their childhood and teenage years, why there aren't the same for Princess Muna or Princess Dina? Why there aren't early photos of them, I really would like to see PM's photos as a baby and a teenager ,surrounded by her parents.

Roland Dallas' book "King Hussein," says they simply grew apart. The king was caught up in many political issues and spent a lot of time away from their home. Dallas implies PMuna was a great mother but lacked the interest in political affairs and this created further estrangement (however, I take this with a grain of salt as it didn't seem he spoke a great deal about politics with QAlia either; QNoor says they spoke of it often). Dallas says KHussein was "ripe for the picking," so to speak, when he met or became re-acquainted with QAlia (he'd babysat for her) at a buffet. It was that old "love at first sight" thing--and, after he'd asked her to join him in opening the buffet, he began to pursue her and divorced PMuna and married QAlia a day after the divorce on Dec. 25, 1972.

I, too, give her a lot of credit for staying and devoting herself to their children. She accompanied a few of them to school but Amman was/is her home base. I think she looks lovely and is fortunate enough to have that "english rose" complexion. She seems a kind person--goodness knows, the fact KH turned to her for comfort after QAlia's death and she was there for him tells me she's not a vindictive person.

altagrace said:
What was the real reason behind princess Mouna's divorce from King Hussein?
This was never mentioned in any article or book that I know of; saying simply "they divorced in 1972". I admire her discretion never talking about it etc. but enquiring minds want to know....
Any insight?

closesttoheaven said:
well everybody has his own view of things - but sorry thats really a bit hard...

Remember, Princess Muna is at least 10 years older than QNoor!

Veram98 said:
King Hussein married "Sharifa Dina bint 'Abdu'l-Hamid, an Egyptian-born third cousin of King Hussein's father, King Talal, on April 19, 1955. A graduate of Cambridge University and a former lecturer in English literature at Cairo University, the bride was 26 to the groom's 19. They separated in 1956 and were divorced in 1957, at which time Queen Dina became known as Princess Dina. She became an Egyptian citizen in 1963, and in October 1970, Princess Dina of Jordan married Asad Sulayman Abd al-Qadir, alias Salah Taamari, a Palestinian guerilla commando who became a high-ranking official in the Palestine Liberation Organization".

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Hussein

Both were descendant from Muhammed, Grand Shariff of Mecca - 1768-`1858

Family tree

Muhammed, Grand Sharrif of Mecca >Aun ar-Rafiq >Muhd.Abdalaziz> Abdal Hamid > Dina

Muhammed Grand Shariff of Meccan > Hussien > Abdullah > Talal > Hussein

Last edited:
We can say that Princess Mouna respect her age.

I think that actually Princess Mouna does more for Jordan than Queen Noor.

Iman said:

:eek:
ehm :confused: :confused: :confused:
many of the social things queen noor does - are for jordan - even if she is not in jordan at this time.
so its really hard to say.
and petra and other jordan news magazines dun talk that much about queen noor - we already know.

so really a hard issue.:rolleyes:

I think it is very classy on Princess Muna's part to stay in Jordan and carry on with engagements. I obviously do not know what happened with the King and her but I always felt that she was "dumped" by him.

Iman said:

In the USA Queen Noor is a celebrity, more popular than Rania herself. Muna is barely mentioned. But then, Noor's popularity is also the Grace Kelly effect. Beautiful and charismatic American consort queen. She is seen more as an American-in-Jordan than Jordanian Queen. Before Abdullah took over I even though Muna was dead because she was not mentioned anywhere :eek:.

I think its only natural for Americans to relate to someone they see as "one of their own," someone who was born and raised in the US and went on to become a Queen.
They have had an American become a princess but never a Queen so it makes sense why there's still a lot of fascination with Noor. Every article or news report that mentions her never fails to give her story the fairytale treatment.
When Princess Muna married there was equal attention paid to her in the British press. But she has always been a very low key person. Even now that her son is King she doesnt seek attention and only occassionaly shows up at public events, mostly to support causes she has championed since the beginning, like nursing and education.

"I think its only natural for Americans to relate to someone they see as "one of their own," someone who was born and raised in the US and went on to become a Queen."

True, it's probably the same reason why most Aussies are so interested in Mary.

To me is Queen Noor not american but halve syrisch and halve sweedisch.

does anybody knows why keing huessein and princess muma divorced?

Back
Top Bottom