Media Reports: Plot to overthrow King Abdullah II (April 2021)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was of the impression that Hamzah was made crown prince because when Abdullah became king as King Abdullah’s own son was only 5 years old and it was better to have an adult as crown prince in case something happened, but people in Jordan only expected this to be temporary until Abdullah’s son was old enough to be named heir. The same with Hassan, he was named crown prince at a time when King Hussein’s sons were small children and from what I can gather from Jordanian friends no-one ever expected Hassan to become king.

I am told that Hamzah is well respected in Jordan, but the King and Crown Prince are more popular. Hamzah appears to be against the government and corruption, not his brother. Reading the Jordanian government’s statements it seems it is their position they are worried about, although a forced change of government could have ultimately led to change of monarch.

There is a lot of speculation and people have already come to their own conclusions based on gossip and little factual information, which, sadly, is the way of the modern world.

Of course Prince Hamzah citicizes the Government but automatically hits the King, whom is an essential part of Government and is not placed on a distance, like in European monarchies.

It are the King's ministers, it are the King's armed forces and it especially are the King's omnipresent spies, his intelligence agencies, which control the Jordanians. Add to this: the kleptocratic elite, the tribes, which have to be "satisfied". Add to this: the eternal and crippling corruption ("What is in it for me?") and you a once young and promising King unable or unwilling to change this. The young King himself changed into an old granite cornerstone, an embodiment, of all what goes wrong because "change is unstability, and unstability is dangerous for a monarchy".

It is exact the same situation as King Mohammed of Morocco is into. With that difference that due to different personalities and family dynamics and less tribality plus lots of EU money, the situation in Morocco is better than in Jordan.

Underlying message of this house arrest: if even a popular prince is not safe for the iron fist of the King's intelligence agencies, no any ordinary Jordanian is.

Last edited:
Add to this: the kleptocratic elite, the tribes, which have to be "satisfied". Add to this: the eternal and crippling corruption ("What is in it for me?")

I do not want to transform this into a political discussion, but Jordan neighbours Syria and Iraq... - and compared to them, Jordan is doing rather well.

And for a world area, where everybody is crazy, the King like his Father appears to be blessed with common sense.

The good Prince Hamzah on the other hand makes with his still defiant stance a treasonous appearance! Or he is a bit thick...

Besides: Jordan is really poor, there is not much to "kleptocratize"!

:previous:

Almost 20% (!) of Jordan's GDP is foreign aid, with the EU and USA as by far the largest donors, with so now and then firm contributions from the oil-rich Arab states in the framework of "Arab solidarity". Sadly lots of this money is not used to change and modernize the structure and dynamics of Jordan's economy but finds it way into the pockets of the elite. If not directly, then for sure indirectly. For an example giving lucrative contracts to "us knows us" and distribute it alongside tribal lines: "If you designate millions of EU money to them, what about us?" And there goes Jordan again, kleptocratic knibbling away foreign aid instead of a firm Marshall Plan-like structural renewal of its economy. Exactly alike Egypt. Exactly alike Lebanon.

Last week Jordanians died in State hospitals becase there was no oxygen. We are not talking about equipment, medication or surgeons. No, there was no oxygen. In the past 5 years the EU channeled roughly 5,2 billion Euro to Jordan to fight humanitary crises. No idea if that money was spent wisely, apparently not on oxygen for hospitals, so to see.

This recent drama of Jordanians dying because of something so basal as oxygen missing in a State-funded hospitals helped to feed today's unrest: a better illustration of the State's incompetency is not to find. It seems even the tribes have secretly voiced their discontent to Prince Hamzah and this made the King suspicious.

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/health/8-die-in-jordan-hospital-due-to-lack-of-oxygen-supplies/2174787#

Last edited:
Really? Totally unbelievable. It was such a stable monarchy..supported so well by the extended family. Can't believe Hamza would resort to such a thing!

I am in agreement. I just can't picture Hamza of plotting an overthrow. I was flabbergasted when I read of his arrest!

According to the royal court twitter, King Abdullah II decided to deal with the issue of Prince Hamzah within the framework of the Hashemite family.
He entrusted this path to his uncle, Prince Hassan who communicated with Prince Hamzah. In return Prince Hamzah confirmed that he adheres to the approach of the Hashemite family.

I am in agreement. I just can't picture Hamza of plotting an overthrow. I was flabbergasted when I read of his arrest!

He was not plotting an overthrow. He was supportive to criticasters of the Jordanian Government. For King Abdullah this was enough to enforce his own half-brother in house arrest.

Today retired supreme naval officers were arrested in Turkey. Reason: they voiced criticism on President Erdogan's plans to dig a new waterway alongside the Bosporus, an immensely strategic spot, with this violating international treaties. For Erdogan the criticism was enough to have Turkey's esteemed reitred admirals and fleet captains to be arrested... Welcome in the Near Orient...

Prince Hamzah's arrest marks an iron fist by the regime but it also exposes unsecurity. After all, a stable King can handle reasonable and justified criticism on matters of Government. This shows Abdullah feeling the heat.

Last edited:
Update: Prince Hamzah signs statement pledging allegiance to King Abdullah II & crown prince Hussein.

https://en.royanews.tv/news/26802/2021-04-05

The royal court shared a copy of Prince Hamzah's statement on its website and social media accounts. In addition to Prince Hamzah it was also signed by his younger brother Prince Hashem, Prince Hassan Bin Talal and cousins Rashed Bin Al Hassan, Ghazi Bin Mohammad & Talal Bin Mohammed.

https://rhc.jo/ar/media/news/بيان-صادر-عن-الديوان-الملكي-الهاشمي-8

Last edited:
Not revealed: how they got him to do that.

Media Reports: Plot to overthrow King Abdullah II

Not revealed: how they got him to do that.

I had the same thought.

That and: of course, he signed a statement of support. What a surprise....only not.

Last edited:
I also had that thought.
There are some unanswered questions.

Update: Prince Hamzah signs statement pledging allegiance to King Abdullah II & crown prince Hussein.

https://en.royanews.tv/news/26802/2021-04-05

The royal court shared a copy of Prince Hamzah's statement on its website and social media accounts. In addition to Prince Hamzah's it was also signed by his younger brother Prince Hashem, Prince Hassan Bin Talal and cousins Rashed Bin Al Hassan, Ghazi Bin Mohammad & Talal Bin Mohammed.

https://rhc.jo/ar/media/news/بيان-صادر-عن-الديوان-الملكي-الهاشمي-8

So, his younger brother and cousins were also considered 'dangerous'?

I mainly wonder why the other 3 princes (of the same generations) were not required to sign that same statement:
Prince Faisal (full brother)
Prince Ali (half-brother; son of Alia)
Prince Muhammad (uncle of king)
[or did Faisal and Ali already sign such a document a few years ago?]

Those who were required to pledge support (interestingly this includes prince Hassan who was seen as a broker between the king and prince Hamzah):
Prince Hamzah (half-brother; son of Noor)
Prince Hashem (half-brother; son of Noor)
Talal Bin Mohammed (cousin of king - by Muhammad)
Ghazi Bin Mohammad (cousin of king - by Muhammad)
Prince Hassan Bin Talal (uncle of king)
Prince Rashid Bin Al Hassan (cousin of king - by Hassan)

EDIT: Sounds like all princes present signed the document. Not sure why the other three were not invited (or didn't show up).

Last edited:
Isn't it possible they just stuck his signature on this with whatever degree of consent?

If Hamzah did an about-face freely enough (and this quickly), why aren't we getting another video?

I mainly wonder why the other 3 princes (of the same generations) were not required to sign that same statement:

Those who were required to pledge support (interestingly this includes prince Hassan who was seen as a broker between the king and prince Hamzah):

EDIT: Sounds like all princes present signed the document. Not sure why the other three were not invited (or didn't show up).

I don't think prince Faisal & Prince Ali were present at this family meeting cuz they were not mentioned in the statement. They may be outside the country or perhaps supporting the king's position. Who knows?
As for the other princes who attended, I think that they signed the document as witnesses only to give it more credibility and to prove that the matter has been resolved within the family.
Prince Mohammed has been away from public life for years for health reasons but his sons were present.

I remember the last time their relations soured due to a tweet by Prince Hamzah in which he criticized a government economic decision that Prince Ali interfered and resolved the issue. He even shared a photo of them on twitter. That meeting was also attended by Crown Prince Hussein.

Last edited:
Again, Hamzah's criticizing was more of the government not the king, which I know he is the head of, but he wasn't calling him out directly and he could have. The press, lack of official information and rumors have fueled the fire of Hamzah's allegedly coming after his brother. Even on social media people are using horrifying phrases like assassination plot ect. And Abdullah has been wise to this confusion to his advantage to gather reaffirmations of support from near and far.

No one should believe the headlines. Even the most knowledgeable commentators are saying there's obviously no coup at play but something is else going on here.

A criticism of gov corruption coming from the king's brother (who's part of "the elites" too)? I'm sorry for being cynical, but I read it as he's not happy with his current portion of this "collective common practice". Borrowing Duc_et_Pair's word, "what's in it for me?"
(...)

It are the King's ministers, it are the King's armed forces and it especially are the King's omnipresent spies, his intelligence agencies, which control the Jordanians. Add to this: the kleptocratic elite, the tribes, which have to be "satisfied". Add to this: the eternal and crippling corruption ("What is in it for me?") and you a once young and promising King unable or unwilling to change this. The young King himself changed into an old granite cornerstone, an embodiment, of all what goes wrong because "change is unstability, and unstability is dangerous for a monarchy".

(...)

Increase his pocket money or his portion of this "us knows us" cake, and I suspect the criticism would stop by then.

I was of the impression that Hamzah was made crown prince because when Abdullah became king as King Abdullah’s own son was only 5 years old and it was better to have an adult as crown prince in case something happened, but people in Jordan only expected this to be temporary until Abdullah’s son was old enough to be named heir. The same with Hassan, he was named crown prince at a time when King Hussein’s sons were small children and from what I can gather from Jordanian friends no-one ever expected Hassan to become king.

(...)

That's my impression too. I mean, let's say Abdullah died at the age of 80, between 62 years old Hamzah and 47 years old Hussein choosing Hussein would be more make sense. The difference between monarch and president as head of state is the longevity (hence offering the so called "stability"), instead of change every four years or so.

If Hamzah king, and then what's next? Should he appointed his nephew as his successor (would he?)? Appointed his own son (why he could when Abdullah had to pick his brother?)? Or in fainess, he picked his brother too (Hashim who's only one year younger than him or Faisal or Ali who's older? Doesn't sound practical for me).

And king Hussein removed Hassan (after 34 years as CP! not just 5) and made his own son king, so why he would think Abdullah wouldn't do the same? He's merely following his example.

Last edited:
It seems Prince Hamzah had "a conversation with the intelligence & security agencies" when he "voluntarily and with full confidence" acknowledged his support to the King and the Government.

Seriously, with all the unrest in the world and especially the Middle East I hope Jordan can sort their internal problems out.

Yes I thought the same and wondered how much damage was caused to the image of the monarchy?

The Princes attended the meering as witnesses signed as witnesses, the document was a personal letter from Prince Hamza to his brother
This how tribes handle family issues or issues between them (the respected and trusted family or familles members gather and solve any issue and then the pesent members plege they are witnesses) and as Jordan is very infuenced by tribes culture what we saw yesterday make sense

So now it is illegal to discuss or share news about this online in Jordan...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...yal-feud-state-news-agency-idUSKBN2BT0R9?il=0

DUBAI (Reuters) - Jordan’s public prosecutor banned on Tuesday all media and social media from publishing content about frictions between King Abdullah and his half brother Prince Hamza, the state news agency Petra reported.
Wow...this speaks volumes. Is Jordan under a dictatorship now? !?

It sounds like Prince Hamzah was forced to sign this sworn statement of allegiance . I wonder if his family or life was threatened. The empassioned person on the video would not so quickly sign such a document .

The Princes attended the meering as witnesses signed as witnesses, the document was a personal letter from Prince Hamza to his brother
This how tribes handle family issues or issues between them (the respected and trusted family or familles members gather and solve any issue and then the pesent members plege they are witnesses) and as Jordan is very infuenced by tribes culture what we saw yesterday make sense

This is true but it is not a letter because it wasn't addressed to anyone, neither the king nor anyone else. It is more like an acknowledgement or declaration in which the prince pledges to abide by the Jordanian constitution and to be loyal to the king & crown prince. They even added a Quranic verse of that meaning.

Last edited:
Wow...this speaks volumes. Is Jordan under a dictatorship now? !?

Apparently senior public prosecutors have the power to issue gag orders concerning matters that are under criminal investigation.

https://petra.gov.jo/Include/InnerPage.jsp?ID=33652&lang=en&name=en_news

It sounds like Prince Hamzah was forced to sign this sworn statement of allegiance . I wonder if his family or life was threatened. The empassioned person on the video would not so quickly sign such a document .

It would tremendously surprise me if he would have signed that document voluntarily.

Last edited:
This is true but it is not a letter because it wasn't addressed to anyone, neither the king nor anyone else. It is more like an acknowledgement or declaration in which the prince pledges to abide by the Jordanian constitution and to be loyal to the king & crown prince. They even added a Quranic verse of that meaning.
More like Allegance document (مبايعة)?
Didn't Hamzah and the other Princes signed something simiral when Abdullah became King?

More like
Allegance document (مبايعة)?
Didn't Hamzah and the other Princes signed something simiral when Abdullah became King?

I don't think that they signed any paper then. As per to 1999 newspapers, It was a verbal agreement and was done in the presence of King Hussein before his departure on his last medical trip. Also, don't forget that hamzah was part of the deal at that time as he was expected, if not promised to be the next crown Prince, when his older brother takes power.

Back
Top Bottom