JRF reaction to murder of Jordanian pilot Muath al-Kasasbeh: February 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Godiva, an eight-year moratorium to death penalty ended already in December 2014, 11 Jordanians who were convicted on murder charges (not terrorist attacks!) in 2005 and 2006 were executed then:

Jordan hangs 11 men after eight-year halt to death penalty | World news | The Guardian

I see. I read it in a news site. So, you mean that death penalty is not only for terrorists in Jordan and it is also for other crimes? Pity. I thought it was only for the terrorists, that would sound better for Jordan

Thanks again.It has been spelled out now,for the umptiest time so lets all hope the message gets trough...grin..

Retaliation or not,this unorthodox time asks for unorthodox measures,by all means!So Jordan,well done,and keep on doing it!!

Thanks again? Are you so fond of executions?

Last edited by a moderator:
All right guys, let's move on...we're not here to debate the validity of the death penalty

Humera
Jordan Forum Moderator

Jordan's King Abdullah flying high - Al Jazeera English
In one sense, Jordan's King Abdullah II has deftly turned the debacle over the brutal killing by Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) militants of the captured jet-fighter pilot, Moaz al-Kassasbeh, into a principled rallying point around his leadership and crisis management know-how.
The 53-year-old monarch is passing with flying colours all popularity tests, as can be gauged by various barometers (social media, the local press, supportive rallies). And national unity has not gained as much currency as at present, since the king, his air force and security apparatuses have closed ranks behind the common objectives of avenging Kassasbeh's murder, executing the kingdom's vow to wipe out ISIL militants.

It is not because King Hussein was married with a glamorous American, made (read: was enforced) a peace with Israel and is in the Western camp that he is a "good King". His regime was a dictatorship, a relatively mild one for Middle East-standards but when you write "I hope he takes after his father" than you are thinking away the many (sometimes disastrous) mistakes the previous King made and still are the roots of the many structural problems Jordan faces today.

I understand your point: Hussein did make some disastrous mistakes during his regime, but he also had remarkable triumphs and was frequently able to balance the western nations within the complex middle east quagmire. I hope that Abdullah will learn from both his father's mistakes and achievements. I was certainly not considering the effects of any of his wives, American or otherwise, glamorous or otherwise, upon his legacy.

:previous:
[Video] Watch His Majesty King Abdullah II full interview with @FareedZakaria on @CNN #Jordan

>> http://t.co/UiCXYMfeci

Last edited:
Great video link in English, Rossina. Thank you for that.

As demonstrated by the responses by some forum members from the USA, we Americans, have always enjoyed freedom (albeit, following the civil rights struggle and the right of women to vote, etc.) in this country. And, we feel great sympathy for those dealing with evil and racial/religious violence.

We have a well documented history of standing with those facing great oppression such as during WWI, WWII, the cold war, the Korean war, Afghanistan, etc.

It is in the American DNA to stand with the vulnerable and to STAND UP to raw brutal evil - whether it's the Nazis, Stalinism, The Taliban or now ISIS.

I'm proud of the comments of our American posters in that tradition.

Evil is evil, whether you have the courage to acknowledge it or not, and I, for one, will NEVER abide by evil.

Blessings to vulnerable Christians, Jews and Muslims around the world today.

A few off-topic posts have been deleted.
We're not here to debate the American response to Stalinism. If any of you feel compelled to make such remarks, you can easily do so via pm instead of disrupting this thread.

Thanks
Humera
Jordan Forum Moderator

I understand your point: Hussein did make some disastrous mistakes during his regime, but he also had remarkable triumphs and was frequently able to balance the western nations within the complex middle east quagmire. I hope that Abdullah will learn from both his father's mistakes and achievements. I was certainly not considering the effects of any of his wives, American or otherwise, glamorous or otherwise, upon his legacy.

Please do not mistake our beautiful country Jordan for a regime. It is not and has never been. May Allah grant us success during these horrifying and awesome times; and may he bless the Hashemites.

Peace be upon you all. :)

Please do not mistake our beautiful country Jordan for a regime. It is not and has never been. May Allah grant us success during these horrifying and awesome times; and may he bless the Hashemites.

Peace be upon you all. :)
But Jordan is under the control of a regime. It's not a mistake to refer to it as such.

Back
Top Bottom