JRF marriage customs

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iowabelle

Royal Highness , Royal Blogger, TRF Author
City
Des Moines
Country
United States
I don't know much about the Jordanian Royal Family, but could anyone tell me why the Jordanian kings don't seem to take several wives at the same time?

I have been reading about Princess Haya's situation and it seems very complicated (and liable to cause many hurt feelings). Does anyone have any idea as to why she would decide to marry a man with at least one other living wife (especially if that isn't her family's custom)?

iowabelle said:
I don't know much about the Jordanian Royal Family, but could anyone tell me why the Jordanian kings don't seem to take several wives at the same time?

I have been reading about Princess Haya's situation and it seems very complicated (and liable to cause many hurt feelings). Does anyone have any idea as to why she would decide to marry a man with at least one other living wife (especially if that isn't her family's custom)?
I think that the first Jordanian King Abdullah I did have several wives, which was the custom in those daysfor affluential men or leaders. The reason the present and previous King didn't\don't take several wives (simultaneously) is IMO they want to have a semi-western reputation, and Bigomy is forbidden in the western world.

I think it would be difficult for royals to have affairs with each other, although as we've all learned it's possible for royals to have affairs with non-royals quite easily (Charles & Camilla, Diana & James Hewitt, etc.).

Certainly, Haya as an attractive young woman would probably want to get married, but it seems odd that she would pick this much older man, with at least one wife and children older than Haya. And it appears from this board that the first wife is very popular.

Yes, Haya has definitely taken some flak for marrying her husband because his first wife, Hind, is so popular and beloved in the UAE. I, too, have wondered about this because it does not seem to be the custom in Jordan--at least, in present days.

iowabelle said:
I think it would be difficult for royals to have affairs with each other, although as we've all learned it's possible for royals to have affairs with non-royals quite easily (Charles & Camilla, Diana & James Hewitt, etc.).

Certainly, Haya as an attractive young woman would probably want to get married, but it seems odd that she would pick this much older man, with at least one wife and children older than Haya. And it appears from this board that the first wife is very popular.

Hello Iowabelle, welcome to the forums.:) Just wanted to say that none of Shk Mo's children are older than Haya. She is 31, and Mo's oldest son is no older than 24 or 25. He might be younger than that.:cool:

I dont know why they didnt marry jordanians ....most of the princesses were not jordanians ...let us see ..
princess mona alhusein....british
queen noor .....amrecan/lebanese
queen alia .....palastainian
QUeen rania...palastainian
Queen Dina ...Egeption
princess alia alfaisal....syrian
princess rim ....algrian
princess noor hamzah...iranian mother
princess ghida talal....lebenese
princess areej ghazi....oman
princess feryal mohamed .....palastinian
princess sarvath alhassan....pakistan
princess alia bint alhussein 1st husbent ....iraqi
princess basma bint talal 1st husbent ....iraqi
Princess fairozeh asem......iran
princess magida raad .....british

princess noor hamzah was and is a Jordanian Princess
Also I thought Alia Faisal was JOrdanian and her family is a powerful Jordanian family. Or could it be that they descend from Syria, much like Palestinians in Jordan do.

Reina said:
princess noor hamzah was and is a Jordanian Princess
Also I thought Alia Faisal was JOrdanian and her family is a powerful Jordanian family. Or could it be that they descend from Syria, much like Palestinians in Jordan do.

Umm Noor Hamzah is called a Jordanian princess but she's not Originally from Jordan,I think she follows the Hashemmites of Iraq...but now as hashemmites are only in JOrdan she's surely Jordanian.

Alia al Taba3 is Originally from Syria....

T-R-O-U-B-L-E said:
Umm Noor Hamzah is called a Jordanian princess but she's not Originally from Jordan,I think she follows the Hashemmites of Iraq...but now as hashemmites are only in JOrdan she's surely Jordanian.

Alia al Taba3 is Originally from Syria....

that's not true at all, her grandfather , Prince Nayef ,was the half- brother of King Talal, P. Nayef was a son of King Abdullah the 1st, just like Talal , who was KH's father.

emily62_1 said:
that's not true at all, her grandfather , Prince Nayef ,was the half- brother of King Talal, P. Nayef was a son of King Abdullah the 1st, just like Talal , who was KH's father.

how come you are saying she comes from Syria or Iraq? can't understand......

emily62_1 said:

well King Abdullah the first came from al Hijaz and Nayef is King Abdullah's first BROTHER not son...the sons of Al-Sherif Hussien First were Abdullah (Jordan (emirate back then),Faisal (Syria and Iraq) and Nayef who was in Iraq too,So Asem bin nayef is Nayef's Son and Prince Ali bin Nayef's brother who were based in Iraq before the rule by Hashemmites ended....

Queen Noor is SYRIAN/american

reeda2000 said:
I dont know why they didnt marry jordanians ....most of the princesses were not jordanians ...let us see ..
queen noor .....amrecan/SYRIAN
Queen Dina ...Egeption
princess rim ....algrian

She was an American of Syrian and Swedish descent lol! :)

Now we can say that one of the marriage customs of the jordanian royal family is that they marry NON-jordanians.:rolleyes:

One can only surmise, that they deem a Wife to be more than enough for them. Also they may deem that having more than one wife, would be impossible for them to handle, because of the requirements involved in such a marriage.

Surat Al-Mumineen says that it is permissable for a Muslim male to have a maximum of 4 Wives. Provided (and this is a must) that he can treat them equally. If he cannot do so than to have 4 wives, would be forbidden for him. Therefore a Wife would be sufficient.

In addition, In the Hadeeth, in particular the section called the book of Nikah, says that A Muslim Male may be permitted to have an addition wife (maximum 4) provided (this also is a must) that he has the permission of his first Wife or current wife/wives. Without which he cannot take an additional wife. :)

PH married the man that she loves. In certain parts of the Gulf the marriages where a husband has approximately 4 wives isn't practices within the gulf as much as it used to be. Hence, at times if a person has done so, many have judged the person harshly or worse. No offence meant by my comments.:)

Also, according to accounts If and only If Sheikh Mumammad is still married to Sheikha Hind, he wouldn't have been able to have married Princess Haya if his first wife hadn't consented to the marriage. One also knows that at the wedding there was a Sheikh (not a Prince but an Islamic schollar the title is used for both) whom officiated the Nikah contract. If the marriage were illegal by the aforementioned or other factors, Sheikh Muhammad's marriage to Princess Haya wouldn't have been allowed to commence much less be officiated.

I bo no means insult Sheikha Hind or anyone else.:)

No offence is meant by my comments.:)

iowabelle said:

Last edited:
Let me begin by saying I don't know much about Islamic customs and I don't mean to offend any of you.

But what prevents a husband from forcing the first wife to agree?

And what if a first wife agrees because she loves her husband (or thinks it's her duty to agree) but the first wife is pained or angered by her husband's decision? (I think it's pretty obvious that any negative reaction by the first wife will be copied by her children.)

I just don't know how this works.

I can only speak for myself and say that you haven't caused offence.:)

Islam states that If a Husband has in any way forced his wife into agreeing to him taking an addition Wife, Islam immediately would deem the 2nd marriage illegal. Also Islam also would give the 1st wife the right to divorce him, for that reason alone.

The moment that she gives her concent (even if she thinks it's her duty) she cannot reneg. Hence Islam states that she is to consider very carefully, before she gives her answer. Moreover, when marrying her husband If she feels that she wouldn't be able to handle him taking an additional wife, she can make a condition within the Nikah contract (before signing it.) He has to agree to it if he wished to marry her. If after that he still wishes to persue the matter, she can divorce him upon the grounds of breach of Nikah contract.:) I hope that answers your question:)

iowabelle said:
Let me begin by saying I don't know much about Islamic customs and I don't mean to offend any of you.

But what prevents a husband from forcing the first wife to agree?

And what if a first wife agrees because she loves her husband (or thinks it's her duty to agree) but the first wife is pained or angered by her husband's decision? (I think it's pretty obvious that any negative reaction by the first wife will be copied by her children.)

I just don't know how this works.

Last edited:
Thank you for your explanation, Roshanah.

I don't know where you live, but I know that here in the U.S. and other western countries, sometimes wives agree (or tolerate) their husbands' behavior because they don't have another choice. Mostly, it's because the husbands control the money or the family assets, or threaten to take the children away. (Most men aren't like that, but there are some bad ones.)

Agreement under those circumstances would probably result in a very bad home life.

I hope that this family has come to a more civil solution to this problem.

iowabelle said:
Thank you for your explanation, Roshanah.

I don't know where you live, but I know that here in the U.S. and other western countries, sometimes wives agree (or tolerate) their husbands' behavior because they don't have another choice. Mostly, it's because the husbands control the money or the family assets, or threaten to take the children away. (Most men aren't like that, but there are some bad ones.)

Agreement under those circumstances would probably result in a very bad home life.

I hope that this family has come to a more civil solution to this problem.

You're welcome. It's the same in many countries where certain Islamic males have been ill-educated, with regards to his right and behaviour within Islam. If the aforementioned men have done such, then they cannot call themselves Muslim males. As you know a true Muslim Male would never infringe, upon anyones rights, including a Muslim females.

You are right, at times it has resulted in the aforesaid or created a situation of complicity in silence.

If such a male were to do so, it say's in the Qur'an and in the Hadeeth he shall suffer for it in the hereafter.

I myself hope that the situation can be resolved amicably. This would also include certain members of Dubai, choosing not to criticise nor be racist.

No offence meant by my comments.:)

Last edited:
Jordanian Royal Marriages

Hi, I'm new at this forum, and am crazy about anything royal, especially the Jordanian Royal Family. I'm really curious about how royal marriages work and take place. ( I hope this is the appropriate place to post this question)

So let me ask a question, what is the difference between the ceremonies of the Muslim marriage? Engagement\Wedding\reception? and when do the couple live together?

Thank you in advance!

Welcome yassy:flowers:
Well from what ive know is there is nikah first, which is signing contracts and in jordans royal familys weve seen there is small gathering for that. Nikah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Some where i read queen noor was one of the first women to attend the signing in jordan family but im not positive.
Then a few weeks/months later they have a banquet or more public celebrations. some have had a traditional gathering for males while women have their own. then weve also seen informal pics from private wedding partys mostly in aqaba, jordan. i suppose they move in together after these celebrations but im not for sure. hope this helps. :)

heres some link you can search for jrf weddings:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f31/

I can see what you mean :flowers: If you're going according to name sake, then yes you could say that most were not Jordanian.

That said most of the aforementioned JRF members were of Palestinian and or Levanti origin (Lebananon, Jordan, The Palestinian Territories, Israel, Eastern tip of Egypt). The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan formed the majority of Palestine. At least 90% of Jordanians are of Palestinian extraction. So in this sense we can say Jordanian :D

In general location, strength of historical ties and Diplomatic and Cross cultural relations, are but a few (yet strong) deciding factors.

Levant relatives: Queen Noor Al-Hussein, Princess Ghida Talal, Princess Dina, Princess Sarah Al-Feisal,

Palestinian Relations:

Princess Haya bint Al-Hussein
Princess Noor bint Asem
Princess Alia Al-Tabba
Princess feryal Mohamed
Queen Alia Al-Hussein
Princess Alia bint Al-Hussein
Princess Basma bint Talal
Queen Rania Al-Abdullah

I know that written down seems quite confusing lol :lol: :D

Hi Yassy246!

خطوبة: Pronounced Khatooba is the Engagement, when the party affirms their decision to marry before witnesses. In addition the conditions of marriage, Mehr aka Dowry which is obligatory, Divorce arrangements (if in the event of), and House and Furnishings, Any additional Marital requests are arranged during this event.

نكاح الكتاب: prnounced Nikah Al-Kitaab means The Marriage of the Book. This reaffirms the couple in question's intention to marry, and makes the marriage legal. Without this the marriage won't be recognized by the State. An Adul (Lawyer/Notary) will formalize the aforementioned agreements onto paper, ready to sign, Prayers are made, questions are posed to which a responce of yes or no is made, and rings are exchanged. Finally the Marriage contract is signed, thereafter the Celebrations occur.

زفاف \ واليمة: Pronounced Zefaf and Waleema (to mean Wedding/ Marriagwe Banquet & Celebration) This is the Celebration, which takes place after the Nikah Al- Kitaab. This is to introduce the Newly Legally Married Couple to their honored guests. The form of Zafaf differs from one Islamic country to another but is an elaborate Celebration.

I hope this helps :flowers:

Hi, I'm new at this forum, and am crazy about anything royal, especially the Jordanian Royal Family. I'm really curious about how royal marriages work and take place. ( I hope this is the appropriate place to post this question)

So let me ask a question, what is the difference between the ceremonies of the Muslim marriage? Engagement\Wedding\reception? and when do the couple live together?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed, this is how Arabs get married. Different versions are possible among the Muslim nations world-wide.

True. Traditionally in Morocco the Ceremonies used to take place over the course of a Week. However due to time and other factors Marriages are held over the course of Two Days. Day One: Nikah Al-Kitaab and Day Two: Zfaf.

That said some try to put everything into one day :eek::lol: it can be done and one could understand why. Personally speaking its better over two days. :D

Moroccan Traditional form:

Laylat l Henna
Laylat Al Hammam
Nikah Al-Kitaab
Zfaf (Is extremely elaborate) Containing two parts: Zfaf b Al-Amariya and Zfaf b Al-Kursy) :D :ROFLMAO:

Indeed, this is how Arabs get married. Different versions are possible among the Muslim nations world-wide.

princess nour hamzah is jordanian,she's HRP hamzah's cousine
princess taghreed mohammad bin talal is jordanian,she's from karak,south of jordan
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f83/prince-muhammed-bin-talal-and-princess-taghreed-19836.html

even the princesses of jordan like HRP aisha and HRP sumaiya and others their husbands are jordanians.
:)

queen noor .....amrecan/lebanese
Queen Dina ...Egeption
princess rim ....algrian

princess nour hamzah is jordanian,she's HRP hamzah's cousine
princess taghreed mohammad bin talal is jordanian,she's from karak,south of jordan
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f83/prince-muhammed-bin-talal-and-princess-taghreed-19836.html
even the princesses of jordan like HRP aisha and HRP sumaiya and others their husbands are jordanians.
:)
I know that Noor Hamzah is Jordanian but, dont forget that she is a Hashimite princess..I am not against the previous marriages just wish to see a young ordinary full Jordanian bride like princess Taghreed :)

Palestinian Relations:

Princess Haya bint Al-Hussein
Princess Noor bint Asem
Princess Alia Al-Tabba
Princess feryal Mohamed
Queen Alia Al-Hussein
Princess Alia bint Al-Hussein
Princess Basma bint Talal
Queen Rania Al-Abdullah

I know that written down seems quite confusing lol :lol: :D

You can add to yr palstinians list
Princess Dana Firas .. wife of prince Firas bin Raad ( Dana Nabil Toukan )
Princess Dina Mired .. wife of prince Mired bin Raad (Dina Mohammed Khalifeh)
The new bride Zeina Shaban

I know that Noor Hamzah is Jordanian but, dont forget that she is a Hashimite princess..I am not against the previous marriages just wish to see a young ordinary full Jordanian bride like princess Taghreed :)
I fully Agree, Eventhough taghreed Mohammad is from the family that is basically controlling everything in Jordan, so she isn't just an ordinary Jordanian, why not marry a girl from Maan, Irbid, Salt,Karak, ajloun, just an ordinary very well educated, from a well known family, beautiful, mannered and has a good position?! What makes those different from every other NON Jordanian lady who became a part of the RF?

I Think Its Not Makes different if the ladies in jrf are full jordanian or palestanion cause you know we are arabs after all and arabs are one .

I Think Its Not Makes different if the ladies in jrf are full jordanian or palestanion cause you know we are arabs after all and arabs are one .
Ok, if so as you say why isn't ANY of them married to a Jordanian?

I respect the openness of the JRF with the other Arab nations, but they must give similar opportunities to the Jordanians also :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom