General Questions about the Royal Family of Jordan

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did they announce Princess Haya and Sheikh Mohammed's engagment as well?
The Royal Court announced the wedding. In other cases they announced the engagement, as happened with Princess Basma´s daughter, Farah Daghestani: they announced the engagement and after the wedding.

Hi I am totally new to Jordan Royal family..but of late I got very much interested in Prince hassan and Princess Savrath, maybe partly because she was born in India and she wears a saree..
So I want to put forward some things about them.
I have recently read a few articles, apart from Wiki on them..
And what I inferred is they both are an intellectual couple. Princess Savrath has an amazing family background (intellectual, not royal/noble). And she was very very active as Crown Princess for 30 years in Jordan involving in public activities. Prince hassan is also a well read man, academician,expert on MiddleEast politics and so.
I also read that suddenly King Hussein started criticising his brother and removed him from Crown Prince. Several roumors were circulated that Savrath began decorating Palace when King is ill and all, when actually she was preparing to receive a foreign delegation.
I understand that it is natural that King Hussein would want to make his own son CP. But does he need to show Hassan in bad light for that?
How far are these things true?
Anyone can tell me how are the relations among them?
Why does King Abdullah still send them for all foreign royal events if their relations are not good?
And what is the public perception of that couple?
Do people recognise that they are much learned and their contributions are much high than people like Noor and all..

Last edited:
if i remember well king hussein had named abdullah crown prince at birth but threats/attacks against king made him choose hassan for security reasons.

hussein was away getting treatment and all he had to go on was what others had to say they may have taken advantage of that. i think that enough of time has passed for there not to be too much "bad blood" between the king abdullah and his uncle prince hassan. no matter what happened hassan and his have always supported there family and served when the king has asked for it, so i think that shows them all in a good light.

dont know exactly what you mean about queen noor though, she was eventualy acepted by jordanians people and contributed well during her years as queen remember sarvath only crown princess then. noor knew her positions were going to change no matter who the new king was going to be.

if your interested in more info king abdullah and queen noor have books also king hussein website has his speech about hassan and rumers...

if i remember well king hussein had named abdullah crown prince at birth but threats/attacks against king made him choose hassan for security reasons.

hussein was away getting treatment and all he had to go on was what others had to say they may have taken advantage of that. i think that enough of time has passed for there not to be too much "bad blood" between the king abdullah and his uncle prince hassan. no matter what happened hassan and his have always supported there family and served when the king has asked for it, so i think that shows them all in a good light.

dont know exactly what you mean about queen noor though, she was eventualy acepted by jordanians people and contributed well during her years as queen remember sarvath only crown princess then. noor knew her positions were going to change no matter who the new king was going to be.

if your interested in more info king abdullah and queen noor have books also king hussein website has his speech about hassan and rumers...

Thank u Princess Mahala..And one thing I am curious is..with such a large number of half-brothers, half-sisters, uncles, aunts, cousins,how does the King manage all of them? Who are designated which type of duties? Who are given prominent positions? Because his own kids are young..
For example in UK, Andrew deals with Middle-East and Arab countries, Michael of Kent deals with East European, Edward deals with mainstream European royalty and Gloucesters with Polynesean royalties, Duke of kent has Wimbledon..
Charles and Anne have their own extensive range of official, military and charity commitments. Each of those two work equivalent to about half a dozen European royals.
Can you tell me some sort of division like this in Jordan royal family. Also it is more crucial than British, because they have more active role in the government, I guess. I know Hassan and Savrath represent at all foreign events. I ve seen Hamzah speaking at Copenhagen Climate conference.
What about others? Are all of them full-time working royals?

:) no problem. Mid east royals are not as open with there family as euro royals, like engagments pregnancy or work. they seem to be more interested in privacy then them as well. what i believe is that the king doesnt realy "managed" them at least not openly. i dont think there are big budgets like european families for that either. they seem to do what they want privetly and go to events when nessesary. the king probly asks them and also it goes with there personal interests. some of them are in the military, i think prince feisal is top under the king, and has his sports for peace program. others study and live privite lives ie princess iman hussein was studing to be a vet i think and her younger sister was in studies in far east asian countries. princess alia hussein works with royal/personal horses idk if her job is in that...

Prince hassan and sarvath have such long established relations with other families and hassan in politics thats why we see them more in that area. i think phamzah was very held back from doing that during his time as cp. he does things of his interest for jordan like speeches or events every now and then i guess when he has time.

Last edited:
Hi, I am researching the Jordanian Royals and came across the name of Leila Khader who I believe lives in London and was a long term friend of King Hussein...can anyone help with some background on Leila. I understand at one time she was considering writing her memoirs

Many thanks
Hi I know Leila well. What do you wish to know, and possibly more importantly, why?

Hi I have some questions regarding the succession issue.

I read it on BBC that King Hussein ordered King Abdullah to name Prince Hamzah as his successor before he passed away. Abdullah did that but then moved Hamzah off from the position in 2004, was it right to do? I also heard that Queen Noor was not pleased with the news, and hence their cold relations? Is it true? If yes, I feel sorry for Queen Noor and Hamzah.

I read it on BBC that King Hussein ordered King Abdullah to name Prince Hamzah as his successor before he passed away. Abdullah did that but then moved Hamzah off from the position in 2004, was it right to do? I also heard that Queen Noor was not pleased with the news, and hence their cold relations? Is it true? If yes, I feel sorry for Queen Noor and Hamzah.

Yes what you read or heard Exactly right ,,,, your question : was it right to moved prince Hamzah off ,,, In my opinion : no wasn't right to done that ,, because Jordanians love prince Hamzah very much & he was In the right place ,,, King Abdullah did moved him off following to the Monorchy constitution ,, but it was just an argument not more than that !!!
But Crown prince Hussein he's good now but much much less experience than his uncle ,,,, I don't want to unjust CP Hussein because he still young .

The son of the king is always the successor thats why King Hussein exchanged his brother with son and Queen Noor and Prince Hamzah and the family members approved his dismissal so dont feel sorry. Prince Hamzah himself asked newspapers to stop discussing the subject of him become crown prince again because he aprroves that the son of the king is more righteous. :flowers:

The son of the king is always the successor thats why King Hussein exchanged his brother with son and Queen Noor and Prince Hamzah and the family members approved his dismissal so dont feel sorry. Prince Hamzah himself asked newspapers to stop discussing the subject of him become crown prince again because he aprroves that the son of the king is more righteous. :flowers:

No dear! this is not always the case. King Hussein did withdraw the Crown Prince title from his brother for different, private and family reasons. and not because the son of the king is always the successor!

If the king wants his brother to success him then the brother will success the King after his death. I know that the Jordanian constitution states that the son of the King is the successor but that could change according to the king's well!

As you can read in Queen Noor's book - leap of faith- Hamzah was trained and prepared to success King Hussein but different scenario took place and it was out of Queen Noor's control!

No dear! this is not always the case. King Hussein did withdraw the Crown Prince title from his brother for different, private and family reasons. and not because the son of the king is always the successor!

If the king wants his brother to success him then the brother will success the King after his death. I know that the Jordanian constitution states that the son of the King is the successor but that could change according to the king's well!

As you can read in Queen Noor's book - leap of faith- Hamzah was trained and prepared to success King Hussein but different scenario took place and it was out of Queen Noor's control!

Yes Exactly I agree with you ,,, right That the constitution states that the son of the King is the successor But the brother could be too ,,,, But that happened for different reasons .

^ since you're from amman, is it true that the jordanian people want hamzah to be their king instead as i've read about the protests on NYTimes?

^ since you're from amman, is it true that the jordanian people want hamzah to be their king instead as i've read about the protests on NYTimes?

Everything you had read maybe true & maybe false & maybe true but Exaggerated in , As we know, the press sometimes exaggerates ,,,, The The main reason for Protests weren’t due to rule ,, but was because of Rising fuel prices And the high cost of living Which is impossible to the citizen from Middle-income or poor to cope with !!!
But it’s not because of bad rulling ,, but because of Economic crisis ,,, But the middle-income citizen cannot bear all these !!!
But sure that jordanians would love to have Prince hamzah as their king ,, or return back as crown prince ,,, Jordanians love late king hussein very much & honestly he deserved that a huge love ,,, and HM King Hussein he was love Prince Hamzah very much & always see him as a king to Jordan ,,, That’s why Jordanians love Prince Hamzah Plus he’s very humble & generous & gentleman in the sense of the word & A patriot !!!
But doesn’t meant king Abdullah he’s not good ,,, No he does love his people & he’s a good ruler . :flowers:

Last edited:
^ thank you :) I think both the King and Hamzah have their good sides. I think it's great the King reformed Jordan and Hamzah being traditional and patriotic.

Anyway I used to Queen Rania too, but after reading these comments on her spending...I don't like her that much anymore ...

Thanks salma I saw this and didn't know where to post lol. It's interesting they release this and i think how believable is the family budget. Does anyone know if this court pay 'allowance' to members?

I have a question. Since a jear or a few mouths the royal family other unless king and queen the royal princes and princesses aren't public like before the last years. No fotos no events. Why anyone know?

Anyone know?

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the Arab Spring Queen Rania has less events than before.

My question is that : the jordanian weddings at the 70s and 80s was big celebrated like prince mohammed bin talal, princess alias wedding prince feisals wedding ... but in the 20.th century married many princes and princesses but only the wedding of prince hamzah with noor and prince rashids wedding was big. Why aren't the weddings like past?

They have big wedding Sancakli but now they prefer privacity so they don´t send the pictures to press agencies as happened when King Hussein was alive.

They have big wedding Sancakli but now they prefer privacity so they don´t send the pictures to press agencies as happened when King Hussein was alive.

Thank you for the information

Is the royal family the richest family in jordan? Or is existing richest persons in jordan than the king?

Is the royal family the richest family in jordan? Or is existing richest persons in jordan than the king?

no one knows how much money or properties the king has , so You can't know the truth , because the JRF lifestyle is simple & There is no exaggeration in appearances compared to Other rich families Or to any dynasty .

Last edited:
no one knows how much money or properties the king has , so You can't know the truth , because the JRF lifestyle is simple & There is no exaggeration in appearances compared to Other rich families Or to any dynasty .
Can we say that in jordan exists richest persons than the king or royal family? Like princess Alia Tabaas family?

We don´t know Sancakli but they have money. Many princes and princesses have houses in Europe and USA, buy a lot of money in jewellry, dresses... As Deena wrote sure they spent less than Gulf Royal Families.

We don´t know Sancakli but they have money. Many princes and princesses have houses in Europe and USA, buy a lot of money in jewellry, dresses... As Deena wrote sure they spent less than Gulf Royal Families.

Yes you're right but the in europe for example in europe the royals arent'the richest in their land. On the gulf states the royals are the richest :) but we know jordan hasn't petroil and the royals aren't rich like the gulfs. My interest were the people richer than the royals. But for the answers thanks :flowers:

Can we say that in jordan exists richest persons than the king or royal family? Like princess Alia Tabaas family?

As I told you , you can't be sure who is the richest in Jordan The King or the JRF in general or the riches in Jordan
Of course there are about 10/20 person in Jordan known how rich they are & some of them their names are exist on the richest people in Middle-East list !! & if you have a look on the JRF lifestyle & other rich families in Jordan or in middle-East , you can see how the JRF lifestyle is simple compared to other Milliners

And about princess Alia's family , no , Tabba's family known as a good family but not known as milliners

Last edited:
I have a question. I read at royalark that the grandchildrens of prince Mohammed bin talal and prince hassan bin talal styled only as his highness why not as hrh? Anyone knows it?

They were born princes & princesses of Jordan so they style as HRH prince/princess of Jordan. I mean the sons & daughters of Prince Ghazi bin Mohammad, Prince Talal bin Mohammad & prince Rashid bin Al Hassan because as you know children of princesses do not inherit any title from their mothers unless their fathers have.

Maybe you got confused because of the children of prince Talal bin Mohammad & princess Ghida. They have Lebanese nationality & are styling differently without HRH because no HRH titles there .

Children of HRH Prince Ghazi bin Mohammad & HRH princess Areej Ghazi:
HRH princess Tasneem bint Ghazi
HRH prince Abdullah bin Ghazi
HRH Princess Jennah bint Ghazi
HRH princess Salsabil bint Ghazi
Children of HRH prince Talal bin Mohammad & HRH princess Ghida Talal:
HRH prince Hussein bin Talal
HRH princess Rajaa bint Talal
HRH prince Mohammad bin Talal
Children of HRH prince Rashed bin Al Hassan & HRH princess Zeina Rashid:
HRH prince Hassan bin Rashid
HRH prince Talal bin Al Rashid