The Royal House of Savoy: History, Older News, Stories and Pictures

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always wondered when Italian monarchy ended.
It ended with last king Victor Emmanuel, in 1946, when in national plebiscite, Italians, chose republic over monarchy.
Victor Emmanuel was controversial figure,, he used to support Mussolini:sad:
Victor Emmanuel III of Italy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some info suggest that there are young members of Savoy royal family:

GENEALOGY OF THE ROYAL HOUSE of ITALY (HOUSE OF SAVOY)

I wonder if many Italians are interested in reinstating monarchy, how they feel about monarchy in general.

It ended with last king Victor Emmanuel, in 1946, when in national plebiscite, Italians, chose republic over monarchy.
Victor Emmanuel was controversial figure,, he used to support Mussolini:sad:
Victor Emmanuel III of Italy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some info suggest that there are young members of Savoy royal family:

GENEALOGY OF THE ROYAL HOUSE of ITALY (HOUSE OF SAVOY)

Hello Lakshmi

Its' not only suggestion but the reality---look into this forum.....

I wonder if many Italians are interested in reinstating monarchy

No way!
how they feel about monarchy in general

The answer above also responds to your other question;)

No, the last king of Italy was Umberto II, a.k.a the King of May, because he reinged only for one month.

He succumbed to Mussolini, rather than support him, because he feared that the Communist could took power, like they had done in Russia. At that time the whole nation was in a tumoil. The peasants rebelled to the landowners in the South, while up North workers organized all-out strikes against the bad working conditions. So he preferred to install a Fascist dictatorship, rather than help his subjects improve their lives.

Vittorio Emanuele riding his motorcycle to work back in the '70s
Farabola

Some old pictures of Princess Maria Beatrice and her family dating back from 1999. All scans are from GENTE mag.

Maria Beatrice and her daughter Asaea Reyna

Asaea with her father Luis Raphael Reyna and her little daughter Maria José

Asaea and her father at the funeral of her elder brother Raffaello Reyna
Raffaello died falling from the 8th storey of a building in New York in 1994. According to the police he committed suicide.

P.ss Maria Beatrice and family on Christmas 1993

Raffaello looked a lot like his cousin Emanuele Filiberto when he was younger. Maria Beatrice's husband Mexican Prof. Luis Raphael Reyna Corvalàn was found dead in his villa in Cuernavaca in Feb. 1999. He was strangled, but as far as I know his killer has never been found...

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures of Maria Beatrice. She looks so much like her mom.

Thanks for the pictures of Maria Beatrice. She looks so much like her mom.

You're welcome! She looks a lot like her Mom. Sadly this beautiful princess was very unlucky, with all those tragedies happening in her family.

[

Isn't Philippe Junot the first husband of princess Caroline of monaco?
Yes he was back in the late 70's and early 1980.
Back to the Savoy royals I do see strong family
traits when looking at these nice but also sad
photos.

Prince Emanuele Filiberto with Eva Cavalli at Cannes Film Festival:

DIVAeDONNA

Eva is a former model, and the wife of Roberto Cavalli, the fashion designer.

Roberto Cavalli website

Thanks Tosca. My mind strayed to those photos with the hand holding friend of early summer.
BTW I love Roberto Cavalli's work. Wish I had the figure for it.....:bang:

YouTube - Roma Emanuele Filiberto con Valori e Futuro

I don't remember if this short interview was already posted. It was made at the time of second pregnancy of CLotilde. What was interesting from my point point of view it was Clotilde trying to speak italian. She really tried but the effect wasn't so good. She couldn't remember simple italian words,the accent was sometimes terrible "nascitaaaaaa"). It was obvious that Clotilde and Emanule are using french to speak among themselves.

I do not understand what that article said. However I read in Point de Vue that EF now that he is done dancing on TV he is launching a clothes line he will name "Prince of Italy". The logo of the clothes will be the family crest........What's next??

Is it me or is EF behaving somehow rediculously? :rolleyes:

Hmmm,I remember you Mafan mentioning that EF tends to make a lot of "gaffes",but now I understand exactly what you were saying :whistling: ;)

For example, the exile law has prevent him from learning Italian and so he can't speak Italian well...I remember this was one of the reasons of the indemnity request...

For example, the exile law has prevent him from learning Italian and so he can't speak Italian well...I remember this was one of the reasons of the indemnity request...

I am confused. His parents are both Italian. They could not teach him the language because of some law??:nonono:

His mother is not italian, but swiss; however if he want to learn Italian, he can do it, even if he is out of Italy; his father and his aunts grew up out of Italy, but they can speak Italian...

That was shocking!!In other words,Aimone was not allowed to speak Italian as well,right?I wonder in which language he communicates with Olga,since they have learnt completely different languages and which language will their child learn as his mother tongue.I guess the most possible is English.

In other words,Aimone was not allowed to speak Italian as well,right?I wonder in which language he communicates with Olga,since they have learnt completely different languages and which language will their child learn as his mother tongue.I guess the most possible is English.

The Aosta branch was not exiled from Italy following World War II.

Aimone was born in Florence, he grew up in Italy and attended university there, and he does speak Italian. ;) Presumably, he also knows French, English, and Russian.

Also, it is safe to say that Olga is fluent in at least English and French. I wouldn't be surprised if she has also studied Greek (& Italian too)!

Last edited:
Oh,God!!Your "royal" history is so complicated :rolleyes: Thanks for enlightening us here :flowers:

His mother is not italian, but swiss; however if he want to learn Italian, he can do it, even if he is out of Italy; his father and his aunts grew up out of Italy, but they can speak Italian...

Thanks for the information McAfan. I thought Marina Doria was Italian.
I am still confused about the law though. Sounds like a poor excuse to me not to teach their son Italian in the privacy of their own home, because of some law.

About Olga:I'm sure she speaks Greek.Not only it's her parents' mother tongue and Olga was born and lived in Athens as a child,but she was also proposed to work as a TV journalist/announcer during the Olympic games in 2004.I guess Greek is one the first languages she learnt.

About Olga:I'm sure she speaks Greek.Not only it's her parents' mother tongue and Olga was born and lived in Athens as a child,but she was also proposed to work as a TV journalist/announcer during the Olympic games in 2004.I guess Greek is one the first languages she learnt.

I am not 100 % certain but it only makes sense that she is also fluent in French and English.

Oh,yes.Of course she is.They lived in Paris-after Athens-and her parents still live there.I'm just mentioning the reasons that make me think Olga also speaks Greek well.

Thanks for the information McAfan. I thought Marina Doria was Italian.
I am still confused about the law though. Sounds like a poor excuse to me not to teach their son Italian in the privacy of their own home, because of some law.
Or probably he was a bad student...I think that, above all after EF, during an interview, talked about the beautiful town of Piazza Armenia in Sicily, while the real town is Piazza Armerina...

But the worst gaffe is this one: a video of EF totally drunk...
YouTube - Emanuele Filiberto di Savoia ubriaco - www.guendalina.it -

Back
Top Bottom