The Royal House of Savoy: History, Older News, Stories and Pictures

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Which sources report about the love between Amedeo and Maria Vittoria and the opposition of VE? I had never read so. I have read, on the contrary, that MV and her mother lived very privately, going out of their palace just for religious purposes, so that I thought it was impossible for Amedeo to have occasions for knowing her. And the fact that she was the only heir of a family that had in the past some seovereign prerogatives and still was the highest family in the Piedmontese aristocracy (maybe along with the Ferrero di Masserano) confirmed my idea of a normally arranged wedding.

Moreover, the son of VE and MA was destined to marry Archduchess Mathilde of Austria, daughter of Archduke Albrecht, Duke of Teschen, if only she would not have died before the marriage...

oh yes i know the story......whilst she was trying to hide a cigarette from her father, her dress caught fire and she died as a result from her burns !!. however the son.....the future king umberto I went on to marry his first cousin margarita of genoa !!

btw...... her widowed mother the duchess of genoa married a non royal and her brother in law the king married one "la rosina" and whose dau vittoria had married two sons of marchese giovanni sinola and his wife isabella grimaldi.......perhaps this lady is related to the princely family of monaco ? :)

Last edited:
I don't think, or at least a very distant relative; here in Italy are a lot of Grimaldis.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi amedea........the following quote of warren's may answer part of your question !!

From Wiki:
In 1867 his father yielded to the entreaties of parliamentary deputy Francisco Cassins, and on 30 May of that year, Amedeo was married to Donna Maria Vittoria dal Pozzo, Princess della Cisterna (1847-1876). The king initially opposed the match on the grounds that her family was of insufficient rank, as well as his hopes for his son's marriage to a German princess.

i hope this helps........

Last edited:
Which sources report about the love between Amedeo and Maria Vittoria and the opposition of VE? I had never read so. I have read, on the contrary, that MV and her mother lived very privately, going out of their palace just for religious purposes, so that I thought it was impossible for Amedeo to have occasions for knowing her. And the fact that she was the only heir of a family that had in the past some seovereign prerogatives and still was the highest family in the Piedmontese aristocracy (maybe along with the Ferrero di Masserano) confirmed my idea of a normally arranged wedding.
I've just checked in Gianni Oliva's book "Duchi d'Aosta" (in italian); he reports that before the illness and the death of Prince Carlo Emanuele dal Pozzo della Cisterna, MV's father, he and his family used to attend the aristocracy parties in Torino, the same parties and people attended by Amedeo; moreover, MV in 1865 visited Firenze for some time, and in the same period Amedeo and the Royal Family lived there, in the new Capital of the Kingdom..
The life of MV, until the wedding, changed when her father and her sister died in 1864, and her mother fell in depression; what followed is the situation you have described.

Thank you MAfan, I didn't know about this book and since I appreciate G.Oliva's "I Savoia" I will probably look for this other book.
MV inherited from her father and her sister some 4.5 milions of lire which incuded the Turin family palace, the Riano's castle, extended land in Piedmont mostly in the Vercelli area. I am not sure if there were also some villas in Tuscany, somebdy knows?
Someone thinks it can be considered the forth biggest fortune in that time Piedmont (the first being the widow marchioness Falletti di Barolo's one: 6.5 milions) but notes also that in other Italian region there were much biggest fortunes: many milanese families had some 5-10 milions estates, the florentine princely Corsini family had a 22 milions estate and the genuese prince De Ferrari, duke of Galliera had an extraordinary fortune of 140 milions!!

What happened with the life of Mr. Robert de Balkany? Does he married another woman?

In this wikipedia article (Adalberto di Savoia-Genova - Wikipedia) is reported tha Adalberto of Savoy, duke of Bergamo had a long-time relationship with a Turin noble lady: someone knows who she is?
In this other source (^Il nemico dell'uomo nuovo, di Lorenzo Benadusi) is reported that an unknown duke (apparently not Pistoia nor Bergamo), member of the royal family, was caught by the police during an homosexual orgy in Turin. Again, some idea on his identity?

It is known that the OVRA (the secret police of Mussolini) collected several files about the members of the Italian Royal Family and their in-laws, where they collected the "proofs" of their homosexuality; among them were Prince Umberto, later King, Prince Philipp of Hesse (son in law of King Vittorio Emanuele III, and brother in law of Umberto), and Prince Adalberto.
The wikipedia page on Prince Adalberto reports that the file about Adalberto was colect, so I think the unknown Prince of the book is Adalberto.
Btw, these files were clamorously false, they were made in order to discredit the Royal Family (remember that Mussolini was deeply against the monarchy; three homosexual Princes would have created a very big scandal...)

Otto Campini

Does anybody know informations about Otto (or Oddone) Campini, the second husband of Princess Helene of Savoy, Duchess of Aosta (née Princess of Orleans)?
I only know that he was 20 years younger then she, they married in 1936 and he was an officer of the Italian Army.

Olycom - News

I don't remember if any of these photos were already posted but it's worth of been seen- there are photos of young Emanuele with his mother and with his grandfather king Umberto.

As you can see from this old picture, Emanuele F. is not new to the stage.
At 20 years of age he was a drummer in a rock band called "The Aristorock", made up of youngsters of noble stock, including a close realtive of the Aga Khan. They also released a disc, whose cover was designed by David Bowie. (source: Di Più)

Perhaps our Count has some anectodes to share...?;)

The Little Drummer Boy (I'm saying this in a affectionate way:))

and who was Ferdinando Duc de Gênes?

There were two Princes named Ferdinando and Dukes of Genova (in French Gênes):
the first one was Prince Ferdinando Albert of Savoy, second son of King Carlo Alberto of Sardinia and of Queen Maria Teresa, and also younger brother of King Vittorio Emanuele II of Italy; he was born in 1822 and died in 1855. He was married to Princess Elisabeth of Saxony, and they had two children, Margherita (1851-1926; later Queen of Italy as wife of her cousin Umberto I) and Tommaso, 2nd Duke of Genova (1854-1931).

The second one was his grandson Prince Ferdinando Umberto, eldest son of Prince Tommaso and his wife Princess Isabella, née Princess of Bavaria; he was born in 1884 and died in 1963; he married in 1938 to Countess Maria Luisa Alliaga Gandolfi, but they had no children. He was known as Prince of Udine from his birth to his father's death, then as 3rd Duke of Genova; he was succeeded by his younger brother Filiberto.

Political Opportunism

...I have read somewhere that the counts, dukes of savoy and the kings of sardinia and later, the italian kings (with a few exceptions along the way) were seen as "petty-minded princes with the politics of plain opportunism" !!!.
The princes need not be considered "petty-minded" but rather quite astute in their goal to further dynastic ambitions. It worked!

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: In Italy many squares and streets are dedicated to King Vittorio E. II, after all he was the one to unify the country. It's a historical matter, nothing to do with the mixed feelings the Italians feel for the ex Royal Family.

There are places where they try to change the names of the squares because linked with the Royal Family.

:previous: I never heard of squares or streets dedicated to either Vittorio E. III or King Umberto II, but Vittorio E. II was the one who made Italy as a country, along with Mazzini, Garibaldi, a.s.o. Also there still are places and buildings dedicated to Queen Margherita and Queen Helena in Italy. There's also a city in Apulia named Margherita di Savoia.

Sito Ufficiale del Comune di Margherita di Savoia

I think there is a region in Italy called Umberia dedicated to King Umberto??and a square in torino dedicated to Emanuel filiberto.

:previous:
The region is Umbria, but its name comes from the Umbri tribe, who lived there from 9th to 1st century BC until they were absorbed by the expansion of the Romans.

Please,Accept my apology MAfan for misuse of thanks button as I were thinking the post will be sent to the thread.
I were not telling a fact about the region Umbria but I asked If the name is dedicated to king Umberto or not.

Last edited:
I think there is a region in Italy called Umberia dedicated to King Umberto??and a square in torino dedicated to Emanuel filiberto.

Yes, but the square is dedicated to Prince E. Filiberto of Savoy, the 2nd Duke of Aosta, i.e. Duke Amedeo of Aosta' grandfather.

:previous: I never heard of squares or streets dedicated to either Vittorio E. III or King Umberto II, but Vittorio E. II was the one who made Italy as a country, along with Mazzini, Garibaldi, a.s.o. Also there still are places and buildings dedicated to Queen Margherita and Queen Helena in Italy. There's also a city in Apulia named Margherita di Savoia.

Sito Ufficiale del Comune di Margherita di Savoia

There are also the towns of:
- Jolanda di Savoia (named after princess Jolanda) http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jolanda_di_Savoia_(Italia)

- Umbertide (named after Umberto I) Umbertide - Wikipedia

- Sabaudia (named after the Royal family) Sabaudia - Wikipedia

oh yes i know the story......whilst she was trying to hide a cigarette from her father, her dress caught fire and she died as a result from her burns !!. however the son.....the future king umberto I went on to marry his first cousin margarita of genoa !!

btw...... her widowed mother the duchess of genoa married a non royal and her brother in law the king married one "la rosina" and whose dau vittoria had married two sons of marchese giovanni sinola and his wife isabella grimaldi.......perhaps this lady is related to the princely family of monaco ? :)

The Duchess of Genoa (Elisabeth of Saxony) was defined by Cavour "the most superb beauty of the north." She was considered very beautiful with blond hair and blue hair.

She brought a wave of innovation and joy to the rigid Savoyard court. She forced her brother-in-law to participate and The Duke of Genoa to dance. Most source said the ducal couple's marriage was unhappy.

After the Duke of Genoa died, she wanted to marry her brother-in-law but he did not want to marry her. So, on an October 1856 night, she married Niccolò, an obscure military. The king was very angry and decided to exile both of them. Only the next year they can return, after Tsarina Alexandra and King John of Saxony during a visit asked him to forgive the duchess. He made Niccolò "Marchese of Rapallo."

When she returned, she realized she had committed a mistake, marrying Niccolò. So, she dedicated her time to raise her children. The duchess treated Niccolò badly, for example asking him to leave the room when she invited the king or other people. Nobody understood why she married him.

Niccolò had lost everything after the marriage, his military position and the respect of people. He finally committed suicide.

Back
Top Bottom