Savoy and Savoy-Aosta: Restoration, Succession, Heirs and Conflicts 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The facts are: VE acted against the rules, marrying Marina without asking the permission to the King, as VE himself wrote in his autobiography the wedding was improvvised from a moment to the next and he apprised his parents of the wedding only after the celebration in Las Vegas; and the (broken) rule stated that the automatic consequence of that action is the loss of titles, style, rank, and rights to the Throne.

Different matter is that some years before the King wrote to VE that, had VE married a commoner, he (the King) would warn all the members of Savoy Family, the Heads of foreign Sovereign Houses and Italian people of VE's loss of title, rank, pretensions. Actually the King didn't do, but the rule at issue didn't (and doesn't) require anything similar.

Another different point is the behaviour of the then Duke of Aosta and of the other members of Savoy Family. I'm the first to harshly critcize the way and the delay Prince Amedeo claimed the Headship of the Royal Family (although he is right in his claims), but better late than never.

Restoration of Monarchy in Italy

In this moment the majority of italians is not in favour of Monarchy but Prince Amedeo is quite respected and i suppose Prince Aimone will be even more.
Could be hope for the Restoration in the future years?
Until now even speaking in good terms about Monarchy was not well seen in Italy but I read an interesting article by Sergio Romano seeing in a different manner Monarchy:

LE MONARCHIE IN EUROPA PERCHÉ SONO ANCORA UTILI

The problem with Prince Aimone is that he is rather unknown in Italy; just a few people know who he is (the son of Amedeo), but actually nobody knows him, his activities, his thoughts, etc.
Maybe he is the best person in this world, maybe he is the most prepared Prince for taking a Royal role and duties, but since he spent and is spending his life secluded from public life, studying and now working (and moreover far from Italy), here in Italy he's unknown, and therefore almost nobody can see him as the hope for a restoration.

But the problem about the restoration is a bigger one: the links between the Monarchy and fascism. The monarchy, House Savoy, is seen as the responsible for 20 years of fascist government, for 20 years of dictatorship that lead to two wars in Italy (WW II, and the civil war in 1943-1945); last but not least, the then King Vittorio Emanuele III is seen as the King who signed the racial laws in 1938 and who abandoned in 1943 his place in Rome and above all who abandoned and betrayed his people by escaping from Rome..
Indubitably the Monarchy had its responsabilities in all that, quite surely less heavy than those attributed by 60 years of history written by the republicans, but the majority of Italian people still can't forgive the Monarchy for its faults.

My feeling is that more than the historical actions of the kings of Italy (Italians do not know the history very well and they have short memory), the problem with restoration is that in Italy monarchies are considered something that belong to the past. When you are at elementary school they teach you that a monarchy is "the crazy form of government where somebody has privilege because of the family he was born in" and that "the progress of humanity brought republics almost all over the world".
The fascist thing, in my opinion, is not a problem: all the country was in a honeymoon with Mussolini back then. And the posters that know Italian politics know that many people with a "post-fascist" past hold important positions nowadays (the mayor of Rome, the president of the low chamber of the Parliament..).

in Italy monarchies are considered something that belong to the past. When you are at elementary school they teach you that a monarchy is "the crazy form of government where somebody has privilege because of the family he was born in" and that "the progress of humanity brought republics almost all over the world".
Yes, this is another right point; or otherwise "a monarchy where the King has all the power because of his birth is deeply unjust, and a monarchy where the King doesn't have actual powers is useless, so why to have a monarchy?"

The fascist thing, in my opinion, is not a problem: all the country was in a honeymoon with Mussolini back then.
Mussolini and fascism had a strong popular support, especially in the 1930s, but as you previously told Italians have short memory...

And the posters that know Italian politics know that many people with a "post-fascist" past hold important positions nowadays (the mayor of Rome, the president of the low chamber of the Parliament..).
Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of those politicians distanced themselves from the worst fascist ideals.

In this moment there is no real debate about Monarchy in Italy and Prince Aimone is obviously rather unknown.I am sure he will soon be more involved in public life and he will work and live in Italy.

Even the royalists are too dived in Italy.

Anyhow there is only one House of Savoy not two .The Savoy-Aosta is only a branch of the Royal House of Savoy and not a different House.

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of those politicians distanced themselves from the worst fascist ideals.

Yes, of course. What I wanted to say is that it seems that for Italians it's enough to distance oneself from those ideals.. they shouldn't have problems with someone whose only fascist connection is that their grandparents have been fascist for a while (before actually fighting the fascits).

Another problem with the restoration is, of course, that many monarchistic in South Italy support the Borbon-2-Sicilies dinasty and they prefer the republic to the return of the Savoys.

Yes, of course. What I wanted to say is that it seems that for Italians it's enough to distance oneself from those ideals.. they shouldn't have problems with someone whose only fascist connection is that their grandparents have been fascist for a while (before actually fighting the fascits).
I understand your point now; but imo the problem is not with one Prince because of his grandfather, but it is due to the equation Monarchy=Savoy=fascism & its consequences.
It comes to my mind the reaction of the Italian government at the request of compensation by Vittorio Emanuele and Emanuele Filiberto, that more or less sounded as "We should require them a compensation for all the damages their family caused to Italy".
Until House Savoy will be seen under this point of view (a very simplistic and misleading point, as it ignores a lot of circumstances favorable to House Savoy), nothing will change and the restoration will remain a dream in a few people's mind.

I think the Restoration of the Italian Monarchy is possible
I'd like to see EF and Clothilde on the throne one day
They are a beautiful regal couple

Everybody ( in Italy) supposes EF is only ridiculous and the majority of italian royalists sustain Prince Amedeo so...

If Prince Amedeo is the King of the Italian people's hearts then I'm with them
His son, Aimone, married a Greek Princess He married into royalty This is important
Lineage is a serious thing Aimone could succeed his Father and establish a real Monarchy in Italy

Everybody ( in Italy) supposes EF is only ridiculous and the majority of italian royalists sustain Prince Amedeo so...

how did you know that?I think you are non italian and you don't even live there.

I lived very many yeras in Italy for professional reasons and I travel to Italy very often.So...

I don't understand Italian, can someone sumarize please ?

In the letter the Princess expresses her satisfaction for the positive conclusions of the trials involving her brother Vittorio Emanuele and her cousins, Amedeo and Aimone.

The first one, started later last year, saw Vittorio Emanuele accused of having took part in criminal association with the purpose of corruption of officials; he has finally been cleared of the charges.
The second one saw Vittorio Emanuele and his son Emanuele Filiberto against Amedeo and Aimone, in regard to the use of Savoy surname; VE and EF claimed that their cousins can't use the plain surname "di Savoia", because their legal surname is "di Savoia-Aosta" and their activities using the plain "di Savoia" were damaging VE&EF's activities (in particular under a socio-economic point, as it was explained in the verdict). In first instance, the Court condemned both Amedeo and Aimone to pay to each of VE and EF 50000 Euros as compensaton, but a few weeks ago the Court of Appeal of Firenze reversed the judgement, confirming that Amedeo and Aimone can use the plain surname "di Savoia" (although their legal surname still is "di Savoia-Aosta").

Prince Amedeo , Prince Aimone and the italian royalists must be very happy about the news.

...the Court of Appeal of Firenze...confirming that Amedeo and Aimone can use the plain surname "di Savoia" (although their legal surname still is "di Savoia-Aosta").
This decision is natural: if you have a surnames composed by two ore more names you may use the one you want...

My surname is composed by 3 names, (ex. John Green-Red of Blue), I have them on the passport and I use the first one, some people call me with the 2nd but on the cheques, for example, I must sign with alle 3... Nobody can forbidd me from using my legal name!

All the three Princes of the Royal Family (Prince Amedeo, Prince Aimone, Prince Umberto) have the right now to use their legal surname "di Savoia" and not necessarily add the name of the branch of which they came ("Aosta").Today we can speak only about the Royal House of Savoy to which the three Princes belong.
It is a real shame Vittorio-Emanuele and his son ( who still pretend to belong to the royal Family) prepared this trial against the Princes of the Italian Royal Family.

Victor-Emanuel and his son still see themselves as senior members of the Savoy Italian royal family but in reality their not so they are going to try to battle Princes Amedo,Aimone,and Umberto being they still see them as members of the junior branch not the senior branch barring them against using Savoy as their family name.

What is a shame is that this "battle" is going to keep going on and on, not so much on the Aosta side, but with Vittorio-Emanuele. I have a question, and pardon me for being ignorant, since the fight at Prince Felipe's wedding, has Vittorio-Emanuele and his family been avoided by the rest of the European Royals? In the past, my royal magazines would have a photo of the family at a few Royal events, but since that incident in 2004, they haven't been shown so I assume they're off invitation lists or avoided.

Emanuele-Filiberto seem different from his father...he is an showman but not a "fighter".

What is a shame is that this "battle" is going to keep going on and on, not so much on the Aosta side, but with Vittorio-Emanuele. I have a question, and pardon me for being ignorant, since the fight at Prince Felipe's wedding, has Vittorio-Emanuele and his family been avoided by the rest of the European Royals? In the past, my royal magazines would have a photo of the family at a few Royal events, but since that incident in 2004, they haven't been shown so I assume they're off invitation lists or avoided.

I think there just have been few royal events for him to attend. He is related to the Belgian and Lux. RF so it will be interesting to see if he is invited to the wedding of H.GD. Guillaume in the future.

He attended in 2005 the funeral of his cousin Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte in Luxembourg, while last year he didn't attend the funeral of his other cousin Prince Alexandre of Belgium (his sister Princess Maria Gabriella was present).
I don't know if he or his wife or son attended the celebration of the 25th wedding anniversary of the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess of Luxembourg in 2006.
I can't recall more events he may have attended in the last years in these two countries.

How embarrassing was the whole incident which, sorry to say,must have been provoked by Vitt Emanuele. There is definitely a reason Humbert II said nothing about his successor.

Restoration is only a family dream. If it were to happen, Vitt Emanuele IV would never be king. Filberto has a better chance if at all. As a family member I would support a restoration of course but not with just any Savoia on the throne.

After the fight beetween the two itlalian princes in May 2004, I never saw any italian prince at an event of a royal family like the weedding of the princess Victoria, but I saw the prince Philiberto and his wife Clothilde at the mass of the enthronement of Prince Albert of Monaco in november 2005.We will see who will be hosted at the weedding of Prince Albert, Italy is the nearest place of Monaco, we see the costs of Italy from Monaco and it is very important to have a member of the ex royal of Italy at this weedding.I am sure it will be Prince philiberto Emma nuel, Prince of Venice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom