Royal House of Savoy News and Events 2 : March 2007 - 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MaFan , What sort of person is Marina de Savoie/Doria ??
Why did VE marry her ??

Good question, Maria Olivia.
Once her sister in law Princess Maria Gabriella described her as "a woman very fond of money, because of she comes from a family of failed enterpreneurs"; she added also that in her opinion Marina and Emanuele Filiberto "should have done more for Vittorio Emanuele"; she also told that he is very ingenuous, and surrounded by a lot of people whose suggestions he always follows.
Surely Maria Gabriella is a "first-hand" source, but...it is known that she never liked Marina.
My opinion on her and her husband is that he is a very frail man, and that she uses to lead him; I've seen an interview with him, where she suggested him the answers in French and he repeated in Italian what Marina told him...this fact confirms what Maria Gabriella told about him.
She surely is very intelligent, and determinate to have what she wants; they met, they fell in love and married after a very long (16 years) engagement. She wanted to become a princess, and somehow she has obtained it; at least, she feels to be a princess, but when I see her on tv my thought is that she is only a parvenue, the woman who wants to be a princess, maybe a queen, and that behaves in a way that she thinks to be "princely" or "royal".
I see her on tv, and I see a woman who watchs otherpeople with a feeling of superiority; she rarely talks, always in French even if to the Italian medias.
I think she is the missing half of him, and him of her: they complete each other, she has the calm, the rationality, somehow the intelligence he misses; somehow she can "control" him, she has a great power on him, but she doesn't use this power always in the better way.
I repeat: this is only an opinion of mine, maybe wrong; but I hope to have helped you.

Prince Vittorio Emanuele and Princess Marina at the christening of little Fabrizio, the son of Marquis Paolo dal Pozzo with wife Claudia.

DIVAeDONNA

Is it the dal Pozzo d'Annone family? The article reports some details on the family and on the place of the christening? The two in the pic are the parents of the child?

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: The caption doesn't say much, apart from the name of the kid's parents. They just mention the Marquis and Marquise Dal Pozzo. The ceremony took place at San Francesco di Paola's in Via Manzoni in Milan.

Vanessa Von Zitwitz, Princess Marina of Savoy and Princess Ruspoli
attend 'The Best Awards 2009' hosted by Massimo Gargia at Salon
Hoche on December 14, 2009 in Paris, France.

----------> Pic

MAfan , 40 years ago I was in a finishing school in Oxford. Amoung the students we had Marie Beatrice di Sarre (Savoie) she shared her appartment with Alda Doria, Marina's sister.

Thanks Maria-Olivia, that's interesting and quite curious; Count of Sarre was the title choosen by King Umberto II to use during his exile, although he was usually known as King of Italy ("O Rey de Italia" among the people of Cascais).

HRH Princess Maria Gabriella of Savoy gave an interview to the blog AltezzaReale, about the Foundation "Umberto II e Maria José of Savoy", that She created to collect all the heirlooms linked to House Savoy (pictures, dresses, paintings, old newspapers, letters, books and documents) and to her ancestors, included some heirlooms belonged to Her Grandfather King Albert I of the Belgians (His eyeglasses, a wisp of hair, His first vest, showed in the second picture).
Then She talked about Her nephew Emanuele Filiberto and of his lifestyle, that She disagree with because "he takes advantage of his, of our name", and She reasserted Her support to the claims of Prince Amedeo and his descendants to the Headship of the Royal Family, and that's the reason, she explained, due to she has given as a present to the little Prince Umberto the chevaliere (a small ring with tngraved the coat of arms of the Royal Family) belonged to the late King.
Finally the Princess was asked about the new generations of Royals, among whom She appreciates Mathilde and Philippe of Belgium, "a very close couple, nice, united, and they work together for their country"; later she talked about Her royal connections and friends, among whom the King of Spain, the Duke of Lugo ("a very kind person"), King Fouad of Egypt, the Duke of Bragança, the Orleans. She ended the interview with a nice anecdote of the Christmas time when the Italian, French and Spanish Royals lived quite close in Portugal, and they used to spend the Christmas eve "chez les Barcelonne" (the family of the Count and Countess of Barcelona, parents of the present King of Spain), the Christmas day "chez les Paris" (the Count and Countess of Paris and their 11 children) and the Epiphany day all together "chez les italiens".

Here is the link to the interview (in italian).

:sick:
Then She talked about Her nephew Emanuele Filiberto and of his lifestyle, that She disagree with because "he takes advantage of his, of our name", and She reasserted Her support to the claims of Prince Amedeo and his descendants to the Headship of the Royal Family,

I completely disagree with her about that,I realy think Savoia name cause alot of troubles to Emanuele filiberto,he is such handsome,attractive man and more important he has some great charity work but due to he is carrying savoia name his goods are less evaluated and his bads are more estimated.

I realy begin to dislike Maria Gabriella bad talking about her brother and nephew with or without an occasion.

Prince Victor Emmanuele of Savoy, Princess Marina, Prince
Emanuele with daughters Luisa and Vittoria spend a day
skiing in Gstaad, Switzerland, December 20, 2009.
I'm sure Princess Clotilde was there as well.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

** Pic 6 ** Pic 7 ** Pic 8 **

I have no doubt that you are right about the fact that Emanuele Filiberto is a handsome, attractive young man, and I can understand that you and others might find him a compelling person. But it is also true that his father married in contravention of House rules, as did he.

Aside from any personal views that she may have on the conduct of her nephew, Princess Maria Gabriella seems justified (to me) in her view of who is the rightful Head of the House of Savoy. As much as I am in favor of "morganatic" marriages such as the Prince of Orange's, when they are not recognized by House rules, the person who decides nonetheless to enter into that marriage must accept the consequences (e.g., the late Duke of Windsor). In some cases, the House adjusts over time -- for example, Archduke Otto has changed the rules for the Habsburgs to a great extent -- but in other cases the House rules have not changed.

Incidentally, I have no particular fondness for the behavior of Prince Amedeo, Duke of Aosta, whom I believe to be the rightful Head of the House of Savoy according to the House rules. He has behaved abominably with his multiple infidelities and refusal to support his young illegitimate daughter, who has Down's Syndrome. Still, according to House rules, he is the rightful Head of House.

Last edited by a moderator:
:bang: I can understand why actors go on TV to discuss their lives every time they are "pushing" a new movie or show. However I can never understand why royals sit with the media and discuss family issues or personal matters.
Whatever the Princess's feelings are for her brother or nephew she should keep them to herself. (JMHO):flowers:

That's the problem: Emanuele Filiberto acts just like an actor or a showman. He attends parties, he goes on tv, he attends reality shows and he'll going to be to sing at the Italian song festival in Sanremo; he tried for two times with the political career, but he got the votes only of his parents, wife and a couple of friends (like his father, in the press conferences EF repeated what another person was telling him... :nonono: )

Claypoint, I agree with all you have written; but only one point: Emanuele Filiberto has never been a member of the Italian Royal Family, therefore his marriage is not morganatic.

:previous: By acknowledging the Italian Republic, he became a private citizen, so, like many other Italians, he can go wherever he pleases, as long as he doesn't do anything illegal.
He choose to act like a star, since the media gave him this status. He's convinced he's a star, and acts accordingly. I see nothing wrong in this.
It's up to the audience to give him success or not.
BTW, he said he won't sing at the Sanremo Festival!

Oh my god! I thought we all agreed how inappropriate was EF use of his family name (is NOT famous for anything else: he's not a good fashion designer, he is not a singer, he is not a dancer, not an actor, not a sportman..) and how essential is that Maria Gabriella spokes to media to remind everybody that Savoys are not EF and his father and to take distances from them! So sad all this is not so clear!
Of course in a democracy EF can do what he wants, because democracies make a difference between crimes and moral obligations (for a prince: sacred respect for family name and honorability). However if he talks about being a "prince" etc, those moral obligations became essential to be coherent.

I have no doubt that you are right about the fact that Emanuele Filiberto is a handsome, attractive young man, and I can understand that you and others might find him a compelling person. But it is also true that his father married in contravention of House rules, as did he.

Aside from any personal views that she may have on the conduct of her nephew, Princess Maria Gabriella seems justified (to me) in her view of who is the rightful Head of the House of Savoy. As much as I am in favor of "morganatic" marriages such as the Prince of Orange's, when they are not recognized by House rules, the person who decides nonetheless to enter into that marriage must accept the consequences (e.g., the late Duke of Windsor). In some cases, the House adjusts over time -- for example, Archduke Otto has changed the rules for the Habsburgs to a great extent -- but in other cases the House rules have not changed.

Incidentally, I have no particular fondness for the behavior of Prince Amedeo, Duke of Aosta, whom I believe to be the rightful Head of the House of Savoy according to the House rules. He has behaved abominably with his multiple infidelities and refusal to support his young illegitimate daughter, who has Down's Syndrome. Still, according to House rules, he is the rightful Head of House.

Let the issue of who is the rightful head of the house of savoy aside.My points are 1.EF would have been more accepted and less criticized from media and italian people if he wasn't Savoy.
2.Maria Gabriella always expresses her negative feelings against her brother and nephew everytime she is interviewed however I never read or watch any interviews of Ef or his father showing bad feelings to MG or to other savoy members.

EF would have been more accepted and less criticized from media and italian people if he wasn't Savoy.
If he wasn't a Savoy, nobody would know him, except maybe on a dancefloor...

Prince Emanuele and Princess Clotilde skiing with their
daughters in Gstaad during the Christmas days, as it's
a joined holiday with the grandparents (see my post
above), I post the pics here as well:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 **

E.F. in Gstaad is absolutely not looking as an actor or a showman...
This are pictures I do not like , just outside smiles(??) for the press .

Emanuele Filiberto has never been a member of the Italian Royal Family.

so therefore why is it he's for ever being criticised for his life style and activities !!

as EF is not a member of the italian royal family, surely these should have no bearing and abverse reflection upon the royal family. i could understand it if he was the acknowledged heir to the headship of the house of savoy, but he is not !! (even his father is not acknowleged as head to boot). ok he is a savoy by birth.....thats very unfortunate for some it seems.....!! :sad:

live and let live i say.....and besides which he's behaving no worse nor better than all the four children of the late king....they lived life to the full and ignored the kind of inhibitions often associated with royalty :whistling:

btw i agree with tosca (post 106).....well said tosca !! :flowers:

cheers !!

Last edited:
Of course he can do whatever he prefers; but even if he is not a member of the Italian Royal Family, he is a Savoy by blood, and he still is strictly related to the Royal Family; and since he continues telling to be a Prince of Savoy, of course people links him to the Royal Family.

:previous:
well you have not answered my question.....

so therefore why is it he's for ever being criticised for his life style and activities,as EF is not a member of the italian royal family, surely these should have no bearing and abverse reflection upon the royal family.

yes i agree that people will link him with the royal family....with him being a savoy by birth (or as you put it.... by blood ) well thats inevitable i fear and theres nothing what anyone can do to prevent that. as i have stated this is very unfortunate for some !!

taking this into account....IMO, its not his lifestyle etc which has a adverse bearing and reflection upon the royal family..but the very criticism of it which does.....the less said about his lifestyle... the better (wont it be in the best interests of all concerned that this criticism should cease, for in the long run it would be far better for the restoration of the monarchy in italy).....less is more so to speak....!!

i restate live and let live. for those people who does not acknowledge or regard EF as member of the royal family (rightly so as per the family rules and laws) his lifestyle etc should have no consequence what so ever !!.

as for EF calling himself prince of savoy, well for those in the know....this is a empty title. IMO even if he did not use it and was known as plain MR EF SAVOY..i dont think the situation will be any differant regarding the petty criticism's he recieves !!

btw did not his grandfather the late king bestow the title "prince of venice" to him !! :flowers:

Last edited:
I realy think Savoia name cause alot of troubles to Emanuele filiberto,and more important he has some great charity work but due to he is carrying savoia name his goods are less evaluated and his bads are more estimated.

well said.....i agree with you !! :flowers:
its seems that some media and many people picks up on his lifestyle / bad deeds and not his good deeds.....i say good luck to him. if wants to live a life of a celebrity..well its his own affair and not anyones elses, he's only trying to find a way through life like each and everyone of us, surely he is free not to live a life whereby he's only keeping up with appearances to suit the rest of the savoys !!. he has to be true to himself.......

Last edited:
I am not a supporter of EF or VE but we can not write that they are not members of the Royal Family only why we, maybe, prefer the Aosta branch, and I have written "we prefer"...
Vittorio Emanuele is the Head of the House.
As Head of the House he is recognised by the European Nobility and, more important, royalty! Even if many royals do not like him...
The "throne" of Italy is not in dispute, as for example, the "throne" of Two Sicilies, where we can read on books or Almanachs that there are two Princes claiming.

:previous:
well you have not answered my question.....

yes i agree that people will link him with the royal family....with him being a savoy by birth (or as you put it.... by blood ) well thats inevitable i fear and theres nothing what anyone can do to prevent that. as i have stated this is very unfortunate for some !!

taking this into account....IMO, its not his lifestyle etc which has a adverse bearing and reflection upon the royal family..but the very criticism of it which does.....the less said about his lifestyle... the better (wont it be in the best interests of all concerned that this criticism should cease, for in the long run it would be far better for the restoration of the monarchy in italy).....less is more so to speak....!!

i restate live and let live. for those people who does not acknowledge or regard EF as member of the royal family (rightly so as per the family rules and laws) his lifestyle etc should have no consequence what so ever !!.

as for EF calling himself prince of savoy, well for those in the know....this is a empty title. IMO even if he did not use it and was known as plain MR EF SAVOY..i dont think the situation will be any differant regarding the petty criticism's he recieves !!

btw did not his grandfather the late king bestow the title "prince of venice" to him !! :flowers:

I am not a supporter of EF or VE but we can not write that they are not members of the Royal Family only why we, maybe, prefer the Aosta branch, and I have written "we prefer"...
As Head of the House he is recognised by the European Nobility and, more important, royalty! Even if many royals do not like him...
The "throne" of Italy is not in dispute, as for example, the "throne" of Two Sicilies, where we can read on books or Almanachs that there are two Princes claiming.

well said count.this is exactly what I want to say besides,why didn't Duke of Aosta announce his proclaimation of throne as soon as king Umberto died ?and why didn't the late king announce him his heir if he wanted this to happen?

we can not write that they are not members of the Royal Family only why we, maybe, prefer the Aosta branch, and I have written "we prefer"...

thank you for your feed back ....i too agree with everything you have written adove and i too regard VE as the head of the house and his son EF the next head..... :)

as a i love a debate on a occasion. i had only written in response to a quote of our fellow member MAfan. whereby he had written "EF has never been a member of the italian royal family" in post 105 !!

am sorry if i have offended anyone, by repeating his quote !!:flowers:

cheers !

thank you for your feed back ....i too agree with everything you have written adove and i too regard VE as the head of the house and his son EF the next head..... :)

as a i love a debate on a occasion. i had only written in response to a quote of our fellow member MAfan. whereby he had written "EF has never been a member of the italian royal family" in post 105 !!

am sorry if i have offended anyone, by repeating his quote !!:flowers:

cheers !

Thanks for your reply jonnydep, of course I do not feel offended, I only wanted to clarify this matter in a neutral way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom