Princess Margarita of Bourbon-Parma, Tjalling ten Cate & Family (1972- )

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Margarita

Her Royal Highness Princess Margarita presented her new jewelry collection in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
Link:

Last edited by a moderator:
The princess gave an interview to magazine Linda!.

https://www.linda.nl/nieuws/koningshuis/prinses-margarita-liefdesadvies/

Among other things she reflects on turning 50 and on her previous marriage.

“I had lost myself in that relationship. No matter what I did, it was never good enough, it seemed. And I was dependent. I was terrified of what would happen if I let him go. So you didn't leave."

After the marriage failed, Edwin took Margarita to court and demanded thousands of euros in monthly spousal support. It was a grueling period for Margarita, and yet she could not count on the support of her family.

“Of course I hurt so many people by supporting him."
The bond with her family has now been restored: “There is a more honest way of talking.”

A second divorce for Princess Margarita!

Princess Margarita and Tjalling Siebe ten Cate, married since 2008, will get divorced, Princess Margarita and Tjalling Siebe ten Cate announced via press release today, February 20:

After a wonderful time of more than sixteen years together, in which we have shared joys and sorrows, each of us will now go our own way. At the same time, we will always continue to walk a path together as friends and loving parents of our two beautiful daughters

** rtlboulevard.nl article: Prinses Margarita en haar man kondigen scheiding aan **

Sad news for them and the children but it happens!
I can't recall the last time I saw them together.

Princess Margarita and Tjalling Siebe ten Cate, married since 2008, will get divorced, Princess Margarita and Tjalling Siebe ten Cate announced via press release today, February 20:

** rtlboulevard.nl article: Prinses Margarita en haar man kondigen scheiding aan **

Sad,really sad,he´s a nice guy,she is a nice person,but that alone isn´t enough.Hope they each,and the daughters,will have some peace and build their future lives,

The Dutch Royals seemed happy married and now a second divorce for Margarita ! Sad for he family and for Princess Irene. She is now Princess of Bourbon Parme again.

The Dutch Royals seemed happy married and now a second divorce for Margarita ! Sad for he family and for Princess Irene. She is now Princess of Bourbon Parme again.

Margarita has never stopped being Princess of Bourbon de Parme. The title is not lost on marriage.

That is sad news, but perhaps they have grown apart. Then staying in a marriage is fruitless. It happens today. Persons generally grow - if you are lucky you grow together, if you are not you grow apart.

In the good old-fashioned way Princess Margarita was of course Mrs Ten Cate. Now she ceases to be that and reverts to 'only' Princess De Bourbon de Parme.

Isn't the Princess also styled Countess of Colorno by her family?

Isn't the Princess also styled Countess of Colorno by her family?

The title of Countess of Colorno is a Parma title, that is conferred on her by her father in the role of Princess of Parma, Piacenza and of Bourbon-Parma. When in Parma, Margarita is known as "Her Royal Highness Princess Margarita, Countess of Colorno".

Margarita has never stopped being Princess of Bourbon de Parme. The title is not lost on marriage.

As as every citizen has the freedom to choose his/her own style, Princess Margarita indeed has always been known as Princess Margarita during her two marriages.

I believe of all children of the princesses Beatrix, Irene, Margriet and Christina, only Margarita de Bourbon de Parme and her cousin Bernardo Guillermo are the ones to have divorced.

Last edited:

That's sad... For both of them and for their daughters. Hopefully, the divorce was indeed a mutual decision and will remain 'in friendship'.

See also NOS.

Sad news for them and the children but it happens!
I can't recall the last time I saw them together.

Indeed. While Margarita is regularly attending high profile events (or organizes them for herself), we haven't seen Tjalling in ages. So, it doesn't seem like a rash decision/recent thing.

Last edited:
Sad news though not completely unexpected. It was established two years ago that the two of them were registered at different addresses.

Sad news though not completely unexpected. It was established two years ago that the two of them were registered at different addresses.

Any idea what prompted them to make the announcement now? When I see announcements like this, I always wonder if there was a tabloid story about to break or a new lover in the wings for someone.

Any idea what prompted them to make the announcement now? When I see announcements like this, I always wonder if there was a tabloid story about to break or a new lover in the wings for someone.

In the Netherlands it is fairly usual to separate first, with the final and legal divorce much later. Especially when there are children and shared properties, a mediator wil try to make arrangements between the divorcing parents.

Their last picture as a family was taken in 2021. https://www.ppe-agency.com/ ��

Can you point towards the specific picture (or at least event) instead of the general page? Thanks in advance!

Edit: thanks to your message, I started looking for a more recent picture. And found this picture at the memorial service of princess Maria Teresa (27 Aug 2021) and this one of the funeral of princess Cecile only 2 weeks later (10 Sept 2021).

Last edited:
Royalblog included a nice family picture by Patrick van Katwijk with the sad news that the couple is going their separate ways.

Royalblog included a nice family picture by Patrick van Katwijk with the sad news that the couple is going their separate ways.

The Princess and her family live on a monumental farm, the oldest part from the 15th C, outside Wassenaar. So to see that picture looks taken on the courtyard of their farm.

Princess Margarita attended the 31st edition of the Amsterdam Dinner, a charity event to raise money for the AIDS foundation yesterday, June 10:

** ppe gallery ** rex gallery **

Today, September 18, Princess Margarita attended the presentation of the book "Go For The Show!" by Annette Wijdom:

** anp gallery **

Princess Margarita opened the exhibition "The Women of Soestdijk" at the Soestdijk Palace in Baarn today, October 11. "The exhibition focuses on the women who shaped and stayed at the palace, including Queen Juliana, Queen Regent Emma of Waldeck-Pyrmont and Princess Mary Stuart":

** gettyimages gallery ** anp gallery ** rex gallery **

Princess Margarita presented prizes during the FEI World Cup dressage competition at the Jumping Amsterdam 2024 tournament today, January 26:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Last edited:
Princess Margarita has become the patroness for the public benifit organisation ´Trees for all´

As our patroness, princess Margarita wishes to make more people aware of the importance of trees. She’s very concerned that so much nature is disappearing. “I grew up in nature and really enjoy all its beauty”, she says. “Planting trees is a concrete way to bring back all the nature that has vanished and to make our living conditions healthier. This is why I would like to motivate as many people as possible to plant trees through Trees for All.”

Not only will she communicate this message as our patroness, but she will also be making a personal contribution to increasing the number of trees and forests in the world. Through her company De Parme Design, where she designs jewellery among other things, she’ll support various tree-planting and reforestation projects by Trees for All. So she will be fulfilling her role as patroness in a unique way.

Following in her mother's footsteps...

Back
Top Bottom