On This Day: Italian Royalty

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
12th of March 1507 : Death of Cesare Borgia,Duke of Valentinois

Cesare Borgia was the illegitimate son of Pope Alexander VI and a major power player siding with the French and Navarrese against Aragon.
The duke was murdered at Viana, Navarre on March 12th and was stripped and
left lying
His remains were later buried at Church of Santa María in Viana in Navarre.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cesare_Borgia

422px-Altobello_Melone_-_Cremona_1490-1491_-_ante_1543_-_Ritratto_di_gentiluomo_-_1513_circa_-_Accademia_Carrara_Bergamo.jpg

On this day, March 21, 1801 ~ Birth of Maria Theresa of Austria, Queen of Sardinia, wife of King Charles Albert I of Sardinia, in Vienna, Austria

On this day, March 21, 1801 ~ Birth of Maria Theresa of Austria, Queen of Sardinia, wife of King Charles Albert I of Sardinia, in Vienna, Austria

The Archduchess Maria Theresa of Austria married the future King of Sardinia and Duke of Savoy in Florence in September 1817.
Charles & Maria Theresa were the parents of Victor Emmanuel II, the 1st King of a united Italy.

Queen Maria Theresa with her two sons in 1832
394px-Ferdinando_Cavalleri_-_Ritratto_di_Maria_Teresa_d%E2%80%99Asburgo-Lorena_Toscana_con_i_figli_Vittorio_Emanuele_e_Ferdinando.jpg

On this day, March 27, 1854 ~ Assassination of Charles III, Duke of Parma in Parma, Duchy of Parma

On this day, March 29, 1831 ~ Demise of Maria Teresa of Austria-Este, Queen of Sardinia, wife of King Victor Emmanuel I of Sardinia, in Geneva, Switzerland

30 March 1465 : Death of Isabella de Clermont ,queen of Naples .

Isabella de Clermont was the wife of Ferdinand I of Naples whom she married in 1444.
Queen Isabella died in Naples and is buried at the church of San Pietro Martire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isabella_of_Clermont

635px-Isabella_Guilhem_de_Clermont.jpg

On this day, April 6, 1765 ~ Birth of Charles Felix, King of Sardinia at the Royal Palace in Turin, Kingdom of Sardinia

On this day, April 24, 1777 ~ Birth of Maria Clementina of Austria, Duchess of Calabria, first wife of King Francis I of the Two Sicilies, in the Grand Duchy of Tuscany

On this day, April 27, 1707 ~ Birth of Charles Emmanuel III, King of Sardinia in Turin, Duchy of Savoy

On this day, May 6, 1769 ~ Birth of Ferdinand III, Grand Duke of Tuscany in Florence, Grand Duchy of Tuscany

On this day, May 9, 1946 ~ King Victor Emmanuel III of Italy abdicated and was succeeded by his son Umberto II

On this day, May 14, 1666 ~ Birth of Victor Amadeus II, King of Sardinia in Turin, Duchy of Savoy

On this day, May 22, 1859 ~ Demise of Ferdinand II, King of the Two Sicilies in Caserta, Kingdom of the Two Sicilies

On this day, May 24, 1751 ~ Birth of Charles Emmanuel IV, King of Sardinia at the Royal Palace of Turin in Turin, Kingdom of Sicily

Last edited by a moderator:
On this day, June 3, 1822 ~ Birth of Archduchess Adelheid of Austria, Queen of Sardinia, wife of King Victor Emmanuel II of Sardinia, at the Royal Palace in Milan

On this day, June 10, 1835 ~ Birth of Ferdinand IV, Grand Duke of Tuscany in Florence, Grand Duchy of Tuscany

On this day, June 10, 1835 ~ Birth of Ferdinand IV, Grand Duke of Tuscany in Florence, Grand Duchy of Tuscany

His mother Princess Maria Antonia of the Two Sicilies was a grandniece of queen Marie Antoinette whom she was named after.

Maria Antonia,dowager Grand Duchess of Tuscany
376px-Princess_Maria_Antonietta_of_the_Two_Sicilies%2C_Grand_Duchess_of_Tuscany%2C_by_Giuseppe_Bezzuoli.jpg

On this day, June 18, 1824 ~ Demise of Ferdinand III, Grand Duke of Tuscany in Florence, Grand Duchy of Tuscany

On this day, June 26, 1726 ~ Birth of King Victor Amadeus III, King of Sardinia at the Royal Palace in Turin, Kingdom of Sardinia

On this day, July 3, 1741 ~ Demise of Elisabeth Therese of Lorraine, Queen of Sardinia, spouse of Charles Emmanuel III, King of Sardinia, at the Palace of Venaria in Turin, Kingdom of Sardinia

On this day, July 3, 1741 ~ Demise of Elisabeth Therese of Lorraine, Queen of Sardinia, spouse of Charles Emmanuel III, King of Sardinia, at the Palace of Venaria in Turin, Kingdom of Sardinia

Elisabeth Thérèse de Lorraine died soon after childbirth having fallen ill and was just 29 years old.
Her remains are now buried at the the Basilica of Superga in Turin.

Funeral of Elisabeth Thérèse de Lorraine
400px-Pompe_fun%C3%A8bre_d%E2%80%99Elisabeth_Th%C3%A9r%C3%A8se_de_Lorraine_1741_SVK_SNG.G_13391.jpg

On this day, July 6, 1789 ~ Birth of Maria Isabella of Spain, Queen Consort of King Francis I of the Two Sicilies, at the Royal Palace of Madrid in Spain

On this day, July 8, 1848 ~ Birth of Robert I, Duke of Parma in Florence, Grand Duchy of Tuscany

On this day, July 24, 1759 ~ Birth of King Victor Emmanuel I, King of Sardinia at the Royal Palace in Turin, Kingdom of Sardinia

On this day, July 27, 1773 ~ Birth of Luisa of Naples and Sicily, first wife of Grand Duke Ferdinand III of Tuscany, at the Royal Palace in Naples, Kingdom of Naples and Sicily

July 27th,1382 : Assassination of Joanna I of Naples

Joanna I of Naples was Queen of Naples from 1343 until her murder and also Countess of Provence and Forcalquier.
Accounts vary but its believed the queen was smothered by 2 pillows and was 56 at the time of her death.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joanna_I_of_Naples

Jeanne_I%C3%A8re_de_Naples%2C_dite_la_Reine_Jeanne%2C_comtesse_de_Provence.jpg

On this day, July 28, 1849 ~ Demise of King Charles Albert I of Sardinia

On this day, July 28, 1849 ~ Demise of King Charles Albert I of Sardinia

The king died in exile at Oporto in Portugal,his remains were transported home and his funeral took place in Turin Cathedral on the 13th of October and his remains buried at the the crypt of the Basilica of Superga.

Carlo_Alberto_morte.jpg

On this day, July 29, 1900 ~ Assassination of King Umberto I of Italy at Monza, Italy

On this day, July 29, 1900 ~ Assassination of King Umberto I of Italy at Monza, Italy

The king was shot 4 times by Gaetano Bresci,who was of Italian-American ancestry and was an anarchist.
King Umberto is buried in the Pantheon in Rome beside his father.

On this day, July 31, 1816 ~ Birth of Maria Theresa of Austria, Queen Consort of King Ferdinand II of the Two Sicilies, at Weilburg Castle near Vienna, Austria

On this day, August 2, 1849 ~ Birth of Maria Pia of Bourbon-Two Sicilies, Duchess of Parma, first wife of Robert I, Duke of Parma, in Gaeta, Kingdom of the Two Sicilies

On this day, August 8, 1867 ~ Demise of Maria Theresa of Austria, Queen Consort of King Ferdinand II of the Two Sicilies, in Albano Laziale, Kingdom of Italy

On this day, August 13, 1752 ~ Birth of Maria Carolina of Austria, Queen of Naples and Sicily, first wife of the future King Ferdinand I of the Two Sicilies, at Schonbrunn Palace in Vienna, Austria

On this day, August 26, 1728 ~ Demise of Anne Marie d'Orleans, Queen Consort of King Victor Amadeus II of Sardinia, at Villa della Regina in Turin, Kingdom of Sardinia

On this day, September 8, 1814 ~ Demise of Maria Carolina of Austria, Queen Consort of King Ferdinand IV of Naples and III of Sicily, at Hetzendorf Palace in Vienna, Austria

On this day, September 13, 1848 ~ Demise of Maria Isabella of Spain, Queen Consort of King Francis I of the Two Sicilies at the Palace of Portici in Portici, Kingdom of the Two Sicilies

On this day, September 23, 1759 ~ Birth of Marie Clotilde of France, Queen of Sardinia, wife of King Charles Emmanuel IV of Sardinia, at the Palace of Versailles in France

On this day, October 2, 1798 ~ Birth of Charles Albert I, King of Sardinia at the Palazzo Carignano in Turin, Kingdom of Sardinia

On this day, October 15, 1711 ~ Birth of Elisabeth Therese of Lorraine, Queen of Sardinia, wife of Charles Emmanuel III, King of Sardinia, at the Chateau de Luneville, Duchy of Lorraine

On this day, October 31, 1732 ~ Demise of Victor Amadeus II, former King of Sardinia at the Castle of Rivoli in Turin, Duchy of Savoy

On this day, November 11, 1869 ~ Birth of King Victor Emmanuel III of Italy in Naples, Italy

On this day, November 16, 1907 ~ Demise of Robert I, Duke of Parma in Viareggio, Italy

On this day, November 20, 1851 ~ Birth of Margherita of Savoy, Queen of Italy, wife of King Umberto I of Italy, at Palazzo Chiablese in Turin, Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia

On this day, December 22, 1799 ~ Birth of Carlo II Ludovico, Duke of Parma at Royal Palace of Madrid in Spain

On this day, December 25, 1130 ~ Anti-pope Anacletus II crowned Roger II the Norman king of Sicily

On this day, January 4, 1825 ~ Demise of Ferdinand I, King of the Two Sicilies in Naples, the Kingdom of Naples

On this day, January 8, 1873 ~ Birth of Elena of Montenegro, Queen of Italy, wife of King Victor Emmanuel III of Italy, in Cetinje, Montenegro

Back
Top Bottom