Italian Noble and Princely Families 2: July 2007- 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Olycom - News
2 princesses from Orsini family were present during wedding of prince GF of Hohenzollern and Sophie of Isenburg. I suppose that they will appear also in the thread "Fashion- the most terrible"...

Oh my God! They are like the bad sisters of Cinderella, but much worst than the "other two".... (Beatrice & Eugenie of York)
They look like in a Carnaval party with "Horror" as theme:eek:

In the evening dresses they were better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don Marc'Antonio dei principi Borghese (b.Rome 2 October 1928, son of principe Flavio Camillo Borghese and of Donna Angela Paternò) died at Rome on 15 September. He was married since 1970 to Brenda Maud Brown and is also survived by a son, Flavio. The funeral is to take place on 17 September at Cappella Borghese della Basilica Papale di Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome.

Source: Royal News of 2011, Section III

After all, wasn't Berlusca her godfather?;)

Congratulations to Marquis Terzi di Sant' Agata!:flowers:
It is great that a career diplomat is going to be the Minister of Foreign Affairs.

Last edited:
Another aristocrat has joined the Monti government: Count Filippo Patroni Griffi has been appointed Minister of Public Administration and Innovation.

Donna Sibylla Cech-Erba Odescalchi died this year.

She was born in 1945 as an only child of Archduchess Margarethe of Austria (1925-1979) & her husband, Don Alessandro Cech-Erba Odescalchi, Prince di Monteleone (1914-2008).
In 1967 she married Samir Fawzi Beshai Bekket (1938-1979). They had three children: Augustin (b.1968), Helene (b.1969) and Eleonore (b.1974).
She is survived by her children, daughter in-law Lisa Katarina, nee Stenhammar (b.1972) and her only granddaughter Sarah Petersson (b.1996; daughter of Helene and her former husband Lars Petersson, b.1965).

Source: Descendants of Archduke Franz Karl of Austria

Don Camillo Borghese, Prince Borghese, Prince of Sulmona and of Rossano, Prince of Sperlinga dei Manganelli, died at Rome on 22 December 2011, aged 84.

He was born at Rome on 30 October 1927, eldest son of Don Flavio Camillo Borghese, Prince Borghese, Prince of Sulmona and Rossano, and of his wife, Donna Angela, Princess of Sperlinga dei Manganelli.
He married in 1958 to Rossana Nucci; they had two children together, Flaminia and Scipione. His wife predeceased him in 1981.
He is survived by his two children, his son-in-law, two grandchildren.

Borghese, Aldobrandini, Salviati

Duchess/actress Lucrezia Lante della Rovere will participate in new edition of italian version of "Dancing with the stars".
Olycom - News

extras from Italian nobility in the movie Ben-Hur (1959)

A number of real nobility representatives were used in Ben-Hur as extras:

from Wikipedia:
One of the most sumptuous sets was the villa of Quintus Arrius, which included 45 working fountains and 8.9 miles (14.3 km) of pipes.[109] Extras during the party were wealthy citizens of Rome, who wanted to portray their ancient selves.[116] Among them were Baroness Lillian de Balzo (Hungary), Princess Carmen de Hohenlohe (Spain), Prince Cristian Hohenlohe (Spain), Countess Nona Medici (Italy), Count Marigliano del Monte (Italy), Count Santiago Oneto (Spain), Count Mario Rivoltella (Italy), Prince Emanuele Ruspoli (Italy), Prince Raimondo Ruspoli (Italy), and Princess Irina Wassilchikoff (Russia)

Are there any people here who can recognize these extras = who can recognize people from the Italian nobility from the 50s? The performers are clearly visible in screen captures from the movie.

I'd be happy to send some photos

Some aristocrats attending the presentation of the books written by P.ss Maria Pia of Savoy and her husband Prince Michael of Bourbon-Parma, hosted at Ruspoli Palace in Rome: (dagospia)

Duchess Marilù Gaetani d'Aragona

Princess Odescalchi with Countess? Pavoncelli

Countess Guia Viola di Campalto

Gianna Terzi di Sant'Agata (ex wife of the currentForeign Minister Marquis Giulio Terzi di Sant' Agata

The Marquis and Marchinness del Grillo -Not to be confused with Beppe Grillo the comedian...;):lol:

Donna Giacinta of the Princes Ruspoli

Last edited:
I don't know if I am posting in the correct place, so please forgive me. Years ago there were rumors (just that - only rumors) that Prince William was interested in Italy's Princess Scilla Ruffo di Calabria. At the time there were several pictures of her and she was very pretty, feminine, and classy. I have recently seen pictures of her and I can't believe the difference. She apparently works as a DJ. She looks tough and unkempt. I can't believe she is a royal. I know I sound mean, but she must be in her late 20s and instead of maturing, she looks like she's trying to be a teenager again.

I have independently compiled a list of the 58 people who had a "better" claim to the Throne than George, Elector of Hanover in 1714. He only gained the Throne by the 1701 Act of Settlement. Amazingly I found when I joined here that my list tallied with the list compiled by a long standing member.
Anyway, number 51 on that list is Clemente of Modena. He was born on 20 April 1708, the third and youngest son of Rinaldo III, Duke of Modena, and is the only one on the list for whom I do not have a date of death. Some sources state he died in infancy, others that he lived until at least his mid teens, having entered the Church in 1719. The latest record I can find of him is on an Italian Royal Genealogical website which says :
"proposto di Santa Maria della Pomposa dal 1722. Arciprete di Bondeno dal 1722".
I know no Italian, so could someone please translate it for me. Also does anyone have a date of death for Clemente of Modena ?

Aldo Barbaro was may uncle

Could anyone tell me who were the Parents of aviator pioneer Count Aldo Barbaro Cornaro, born 1892 and who died when his plane crashed in Bolivia 1923 ?

I understand a road in Catanzaro, Italy was changed from Via Barbaro to Via Aldo Barbaro in recognition of his achievements, that the Villa Trieste there was the pre-Venetian Barbaro home and that his mother's line was of the Venetion house of Cornaro.

Then I get stuck .

Aldo Barbaro was my uncle. He was Aldo Barbaro Cornaro, my father was Marco Antonio Barbaro Cornaro, his brother

"proposto di Santa Maria della Pomposa dal 1722. Arciprete di Bondeno dal 1722".
I know no Italian, so could someone please translate it for me. Also does anyone have a date of death for Clemente of Modena ?

"parson of St. Mary of Pomposa since 1722. Dean of Bondeno since 1722"

Question

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but there are a few questions that I have difficulty answering and it seems the knowledgeable members here might be able to provide assistance.

- It is my understanding that a Prince in Italy could be either a royal Prince or a non-royal/feudal Prince. (Any guidance about this would be appreciated) Accordingly, a royal Prince would be His Royal Highness (HRH/SAR), but what is the form of address for a non-royal Prince?

- Is there a list somewhere of all Italian noble and princely titles and the names of all those who legitimately held/hold these titles? (for historical and/or verification purposes) As there were so many kingdoms and principalities that existed over the centuries, I'm guessing this might be complicated and somewhat unlikely with the older/lesser known non-royal titles proving difficult to verify, but I am curious if there is any such list.

I appreciate any information or guidance the members here might be able to provide. Thanks!

During the Kingdom of Italy (1861-1946) the Princes of the Royal Family were styled either His/Her Royal Highness or His/Her Serene Highness, accordingly to a Royal Decree issued in 1890 (although applied with many exceptions).
The other non-Royal Princes were styled either His/Her Serene Highness (mainly the Princes whose title was created by the Holy Roman Emperor and then recognized by the Kingdom of Italy - i.e. the Princes della Torre e Tasso or the Princes Gonzaga) or His/Her Excellency.

As for your second question, you can find a list of (many of) the Italian noble families in the Annuario della Nobiltà Italiana (Yearbook of Italian Nobility); I have find some lists of surname of noble families taken from the Annuario:
(Some of the) Noble families whose titles were recognized/conferred by the King of Italy: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...pbnxjbHViYW5ub2JpdHxneDoxZmM5YjUwNjFiOWU0N2U2
Noble families whose titles were conferred by the Sovereign Military Order of Malta: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...WFpbnxjbHViYW5ub2JpdHxneDo3YTJmZTExMDFhMDUyYw
Noble families whose titles were conferred by King Umberto II of Italy during his exile: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...pbnxjbHViYW5ub2JpdHxneDoyYmQ3NjBlNTJhNDMzZmYx

During the Kingdom of Italy (1861-1946) the Princes of the Royal Family were styled either His/Her Royal Highness or His/Her Serene Highness, accordingly to a Royal Decree issued in 1890 (although applied with many exceptions).
The other non-Royal Princes were styled either His/Her Serene Highness (mainly the Princes whose title was created by the Holy Roman Emperor and then recognized by the Kingdom of Italy - i.e. the Princes della Torre e Tasso or the Princes Gonzaga) or His/Her Excellency.

As for your second question, you can find a list of (many of) the Italian noble families in the Annuario della Nobiltà Italiana (Yearbook of Italian Nobility); I have find some lists of surname of noble families taken from the Annuario:
(Some of the) Noble families whose titles were recognized/conferred by the King of Italy: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...pbnxjbHViYW5ub2JpdHxneDoxZmM5YjUwNjFiOWU0N2U2
Noble families whose titles were conferred by the Sovereign Military Order of Malta: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...WFpbnxjbHViYW5ub2JpdHxneDo3YTJmZTExMDFhMDUyYw
Noble families whose titles were conferred by King Umberto II of Italy during his exile: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...pbnxjbHViYW5ub2JpdHxneDoyYmQ3NjBlNTJhNDMzZmYx

Thanks for your quick response. To clarify so that I understand fully... generally speaking, any non-royal Prince who is not His Royal Highness or His Serene Highness would be His Excellency?

Is this generally a standard style of address in both northern and southern Italy for non-royal Princes who are not from royal family dynasties or tied to the Holy Roman Emperor?

My question is especially of interest as to non-royal Princely titles in southern Italy that were pre-unification/pre-Kingdom of Italy, and whether "His Excellency" (what is the Italian-language equivalent?) would be used. Is this style still used today in both Italy and internationally?

Any information about this or otherwise would be appreciated. Thanks for your help!

(My experience thus far with His/Her Excellency styles has been tied to international diplomatic usage and so I am currently unfamiliar with how they are used in the case of non-royal Italian Princes, thus my desire to understand and learn more... please forgive my lack of subject matter knowledge)

Basically yes, all the non-royal Princes, with the only exception of those who were styled Serene Highness, were styled as His/Her Excellency (in Italian, Sua Eccellenza).
As far as I know, also before the unification in most of the Italian States non-royal Princes - as well as the Dukes, if I don't mistake - were styled His/Her Excellency.

Basically yes, all the non-royal Princes, with the only exception of those who were styled Serene Highness, were styled as His/Her Excellency (in Italian, Sua Eccellenza).
As far as I know, also before the unification in most of the Italian States non-royal Princes - as well as the Dukes, if I don't mistake - were styled His/Her Excellency.

Thank you very much, this was the information I've been struggling to find.

Is the style His/Her Excellency still used in modern-day Italy to address non-royal Princes and Dukes, or is this no longer the case?

For example, if writing/speaking about them/speaking to them, is His/Your Excellency still appropriate and currently used?

Last edited:
I don't think it is any longer used, at least not officially.

Btw, I've made some more researches, and I've discovered that apparently the use of the style Excellency during the Kingdom of Italy wasn't so much a general rule as I thought before.
I've found some royal decrees issued during the 1920s and early 1940s which stated - as far as I have understood - that as a general rule only the Roman Princes (members of some Roman families ennobled by the Pope before the Italian unification) were styled Excellency, while the other Princes were just styled Don/Donna (unless they were specifically given another style, i.e. Excellency or Serene Highness).
So it appears that the situation wasn't so much clear and simple as I thought - and described to you - previously.

18 May: Don Flavio of the Princes Borghese married to Isabella Olimpia Capuano at the Borghese Chapel, in the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore, Roma..
Is don flavio closely related to Lorenzo Borghese?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom