Italian Noble and Princely Families 1: June 2004 - July 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i think the house of medici became extinct lots of centuries ago...

That may not be true, because de' Medici family did have illegitimate children so de' Medici family line could still exist.

Originally posted by Semiramide_Appiani@Jun 25th, 2004 - 3:57 pm
That may not be true, because de' Medici family did have illegitimate children so de' Medici family line could still exist.
but i would not say it has the same name...

Actually, I read that, in the 18th century, the last direct medici descendant died, as she was a woman who had bore no children.

this lady did a wonderful thing for florence before she died. she left all the medici art to florence which prevented the new dynasty(habsburg) from claiming it as private property.

"The de' Medici family, which governed the City of Florence from the 15th century to 1737, will have no more secrets since a scientific analysis that will reconstruct the life style, the illnesses and real family tree of the 50 members of this family of bankers, whose most famous exponent is Lorenzo the Magnificent.
In June 2004, the first bodies buried in the monumental tombs of the Medicean Chapel of the Church of San Lorenzo, designed and realized by Michelangelo Buonarroti, will be disinterred. This operation should bring on the examination of the remains of the 50 bodies in a couple of years and it is in the ambit of the "Medici" project, coordinated by the Universities of Florence and Pisa and the Florentine Museum Pole Special Superintendence.
The most well-known Medicis, such as Lorenzo the Magnificent (1449-1492) and Cosimo the Elder (1389-1464), founder of the Medici political dynasty, will not be exhumed as they rest beneath beautiful Michelangelo tombstones too fragile to move".

I take this from a history magazine. I suppose the project has started yet. The magazine included an article signed by Lorenzo de Medici, it was said that he was the 13 descendant of Lorenzo the Magnificent, but I dont know more about him.

I think that only are two descendants Lorenzo and his brother Carlo. Lorenzo lives in Barcelona. They doesn't have children. Lorenzo divorced a twice and he have a degree in Economy, he maneges is familiar fortune and his own licensing company.
This his an spanish interview with him
http://www.el-mundo.es/magazine/2002/165/1037985130.html

Originally posted by Meg@Jun 29th, 2004 - 5:57 am
"The de' Medici family, which governed the City of Florence from the 15th century to 1737, will have no more secrets since a scientific analysis that will reconstruct the life style, the illnesses and real family tree of the 50 members of this family of bankers, whose most famous exponent is Lorenzo the Magnificent.
In June 2004, the first bodies buried in the monumental tombs of the Medicean Chapel of the Church of San Lorenzo, designed and realized by Michelangelo Buonarroti, will be disinterred. This operation should bring on the examination of the remains of the 50 bodies in a couple of years and it is in the ambit of the "Medici" project, coordinated by the Universities of Florence and Pisa and the Florentine Museum Pole Special Superintendence.
The most well-known Medicis, such as Lorenzo the Magnificent (1449-1492) and Cosimo the Elder (1389-1464), founder of the Medici political dynasty, will not be exhumed as they rest beneath beautiful Michelangelo tombstones too fragile to move".

I take this from a history magazine. I suppose the project has started yet. The magazine included an article signed by Lorenzo de Medici, it was said that he was the 13 descendant of Lorenzo the Magnificent, but I dont know more about him.
well, in fact they didn't govern it. they were just powerful people in florence and owned the most important buildings in florence.

"They became rich because of their ability in commerce and trade. In 1433-1434 “Cosimo de Medici” fought ,by common people side, the rich oligarchy dominating Florence. After that he was the triumphing and well-liked Lord of Florence. The public opinion put Florence in his hands because he was able to take wise decisions for the city and to govern in peace. Cosimo signed many peace treaties with the most important Lordships in Italy to ensure a period of quiet and stillness. During this period art and culture were incremented by the Duke that loved to be surrounded by the most famous artists of the period. After Cosimo, Piero de Medici became Lord and after him Lorenzo “il Magnifico” governed the city. Many times the opposite families tried to drive the Medici out from the city but this never happened for many years. Piero, succeeding Lorenzo, was not so able to govern Florence and because of wrong decisions he was driven out . The Florentine Republic was founded ( 1494-1530 ).
The Republic finished when the Emperor Carlo V came in Italy restoring the Medici Leadership. Many poets and artists lived in Florence during this years, many libraries were built and a lot of Literature Academies grew. The following Medici Lords governed Florence until 1737 when Tuscany was annexed to the Lorena’s reign".

Florence History

Apparently, although they started as traders, they became Florence Lords.

Originally posted by Semiramide_Appiani@Jun 25th, 2004 - 4:57 pm
In such matters, illegitimate lines do not matter.

grecka  Posted: Jun 25th, 2004 - 6:54 pm

Actually, I read that, in the 18th century, the last direct medici descendant died, as she was a woman who had bore no children.
That being the case .... would anybody complain if I changed my last name to "Medici" ?

would anybody complain if I changed my last name to "Medici" ?

Why settle for a name with no tangible perks? There is always the option of getting yourself adopted, and I believe in some european countries a husband may legally take his wife's name. Imagine the opportunities! ;)

well .... if the last person with the medici name died out .... how does one get adopted then?

how does one get adopted then?

The trick would be to find someone royal/titled/rich who is still ALIVE.......then endear yourself to him/her and proclaim that he/she is the parent you never had and then......wait, there ought to be a practical guide written for this. :p

Originally posted by kirstengrafin@Jul 5th, 2004 - 6:12 pm
how does one get adopted then?
find someone royal/titled/rich who is still ALIVE.......then endear yourself to him/her and proclaim that he/she is the parent you never had and then
that seems to work better with the nubile young lady and the cantankerous old grump, as opposed to the other way around. :p

Originally posted by kcc@Jun 26th, 2004 - 12:03 pm
this  lady did a wonderful thing for florence before she died. she left all the medici art to florence which prevented the new dynasty(habsburg) from claiming it as private property.
It isn’t quite true that Hapsburg was the new dynasty in Tuscany. Habsburg and Medici both became extinct at about the same time. Tuscany was given to Francis of Lorraine, in exchange for Lorraine, which was given to Stanislaw Leszczynski of Poland for life, in compensation for Poland, which was returned to his rival, Friedrich August of Saxony. Francis of Lorraine was married to the Habsburg heiress and their descendants inherited Austria, Hungary, and Tuscany. So, it was the House of Lorraine that reigned in Tuscany after the extinction of Medici and Habsburg.

Polfoto 11-01-2005 ** FILE ** Italian Prince Alessandro Ruspoli is seen in this undated file photo taken in Rome. Ruspoli, a member of one of Rome's most important noble families who was known for his jet-setting in the ``Dolce Vita'' years from Capri to Brazil, died in a clinic in Rome, Tuesday, Jan. 11, 2005. He was 80.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 478
Princess Ruspoli attends the Heart Of Children Benefit Gala at the Protomoteca Terrace at the Capitole on June 8, 2005 in Rome,

Attachments

• 53039835.jpg
    53039835.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 639
  • 53039838.jpg
    53039838.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 591
  • 53039845.jpg
    53039845.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 503
Princess Scilla Ruffo di Calabria

I have seen several pictures of Princess Scilla Ruffo di Calabria. She is quite pretty. Does anyone know anything else about her? Is she dating anyone?

re

hi.. I have never heard of her... does anyone have some information about her.. and maybe some pictures

Princess Scilla Ruffo di Calabria ( a noble princess, not a royal one) is a niece of queen Paola of the Belgians. She's a graddaughter of Paola's brother Fabrizio.

She was linked to prince William a few years ago, but it was all made up by gossip mags.

She was born in 1984.

photos : east news & scans

Attachments

• CALABRIA_SCILLA_RUFFO_002.jpg
    CALABRIA_SCILLA_RUFFO_002.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,720
  • CALABRIA_SCILLA_RUFFO_001.jpg
    CALABRIA_SCILLA_RUFFO_001.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,613
  • ScillaRuffo_William_scan.jpg
    ScillaRuffo_William_scan.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,363
  • The-2005-Corviglia-Glamour.jpeg
    The-2005-Corviglia-Glamour.jpeg
    21.6 KB · Views: 1,968
Last edited:
Please credit all photos posted. It would be a shame to have to delete them.
(even if the name of the photo agency is printed on the photo, you must still indicate where you found the photos)

So Princess Scilla never dated Prince William? I read in the New York papers here that he was crazy about her. This was about two years ago.

Does anyone know of a prince Raimundo (Raymond) Orsini of Italy, he was the much-photographed beau of Princess Soraya in the late 50's. I have lots of pictures and old Italian articles about him, but i need background Information. Any leeds, I am in a dead end. Thanks!

This is the first time I have posted but I really enjoy reading all the articles and getting all the latest images.

I notice on this thread a photo of Prince Ruspoli which says he died, actually the photo is of Sfoza Ruspoli, brother of Dado Ruspoli and it was Dado who died in January 2005.

I know the Ruspoli family from time I spent as the nanny for Prince & princess Ruspoli and their daughter Giacinta. It was a long time ago (13 years) but it was the most amazing experience. I am not very technical and I dont have a scanner to scan some of my photos, but over time I hope to share some of my experiences with other members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom