HRH Duke Carlos Hugo (1930-2010) and the Royal House of Bourbon-Parma

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
maria-olivia said:
Marengo ,
Could you gave more informations about her mother Margareta born Princess of Danemark who married Prince René of Bourbon Parme.
How many children did they have ?
Michel husband of Maria Pia of Savoie, Anne Queen of Roumanie , the husband of the late Princess Brigitte and ??

Princess Margaret of Denmark and Prince René of Bourbon-Parma had 4 children:

1) Prince Jacques of Bourbon-Parma - was married to Countess Birgitte von Holstein-Ledreborg. As per Online Gotha for Parma (posted by Warren), they had 3 children:
* Philipp Georg Karl Valdemar René Joseph Marie - married Annette Smith. Their children are: Jacques Carl Christian Marie and Joseph Axel Alain Eric Marie
* Lorraine Charlotte Tatjana Ebba Johanna Maria Antonia Josephine Renée. No issue
* Alain Johann Knud Bernhard Felix Maria René Joseph - married Inge Birgitte Vedel Andersen. No issue.
An enthusiast in motorsports, he was killed in a car accident in 1964. During the World War II, the Prince volunteered for and was accepted by the Royal Norwegian Air Force. He was trained as pilot in camp “Little Norway” in Canada, however he did not see active service during the war as it ended too soon for him to be able to join the Norwegian Forces in Europe. After the war, he was a pilot in Det danske Luftfartselskab (Danish Airlines) for some time.

2) Princess Anne of Bourbon-Parma - married King Michael of Romania. Their children are:
* Princess Margarita of Romania - married Radu Duda (who was later created Prince Radu of Hohenzollern-Veringen). No issue. Princess Margarita is first in the line of the Romanian Throne. Margarita's Heiress Presumptive is her younger sister, Princess Elena.
* Princess Elena of Romania - married first Dr. Leslie Robin Medforth-Mills and then Alexander Philips Nixon McAteer. She has issue from first marriage - Nicholas Michael de Roumanie Medforth-Mills and Elizabeth Karina de Roumanie Medforth-Mills. In 2007, King Michael signed the "Fundamental Rules Of The Royal Family Of Romania", where, among other things, he announced that Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth-Mills (who will one day be the Heir to the Romanian Throne and is only second in line after his own mother) will assume the title, style and rank of Prince of Romania and Royal Highness upon his 25th birthday (on April 1, 2010) or upon the death of King Michael of Romania, whichever happens first.
* Princess Irina of Romania - married John Kreuger. Their children are Michael de Roumanie Kreuger and Angelica de Roumanie Kreuger.
* Princess Sophie of Romania - married Alain Michel Léonce Biarneix. Their daughter is Elisabeta-Maria Biarneix.
* Princess Maria of Romania - married Kazimierz Wieslaw Mystkowski. No issue

3) Prince Michel - was firstly married to Yolande de Broglie-Revel and then to Maria Pia of Savoy. Their children are:
* Princess Ines of Bourbon-Parma - died from a drug overdose in 1981 (aged 29)
* Prince Eric of Bourbon-Parma - married Countess Lydia von Holstein-Ledreborg. They had 5 children: Antonia Monique of Bourbon-Parma (born 1981), Marie Gabrielle of Bourbon-Parma (born 1982), Alexia Thérèse of Bourbon-Parma (born 1985), Michel Knud of Bourbon-Parma (born 1989) and Henri Luitpold of Bourbon-Parma (born in 1991).
* Princess Sybil Marie of Bourbon-Parma - married Craig Richards. No issue.
* Princess Victoire Maria of Bourbon-Parma - was married first to Baron Ernst von Gecmen Waldek and then to Carlos Ernesto Rodriguez. Their children are: Tatiana von Gecmen Waldek (married to Miichael Berger-Sandhofer, has issue: Alexander Berger-Sandhofer and Balthazar Berger-Sandhofer) and Vincent-Nicholas Frhr von Gecmen-Waldek.
* Prince Charles Emmanuel of Bourbon-Parma - married Constance de Ravinel. They have 4 children: Amaury Yves, Charlotte Alexe, Elisabeth Flore and Zita Angélique.

4) Prince André Marie of Bourbon-Parma - married Marina Gacry. Their children are:
* Axel - married Raphaële de Montagnon. They have two children: Côme and Alix
* Sophie - married Gilbert Silly dit Gilbert Bécaud. They have two children: Marguerite Bécaud, Héléna Bécaud and Dagmar Bécuad
* Astrid - not married and no issue.

Princess Margaret had the distinction of being the oldest member of the Danish Royal House before her death in 1992, aged 97 (the Princess died a day after her 97th birthday and on the day of her daughter, Queen Anne's birthday). She still remains the longest lived member of the DRH.

Last edited:
Great work Marsel,
Prince Jacques and Princess Brigitte had no children like Prince André and Princess Marina ?.

To my best knowledge, they didn't. However I have just read the Online-Gotha for Parma (which can be found in Warren's post), and according to it, they did have 3 children.

1) Philipp Georg Karl Valdemar René Joseph Marie - married Annette Smith. Their children are:
* Jacques Carl Christian Marie
* Joseph Axel Alain Eric Marie

2) Lorraine Charlotte Tatjana Ebba Johanna Maria Antonia Josephine Renée. No issue
3) Alain Johann Knud Bernhard Felix Maria René Joseph - married Inge Birgitte Vedel Andersen. No issue.

I will update my post to include this information. Thanks to Warren for providing the accurate link. :flowers:

Last edited:
Wow...What a fascinating thread and family history.

I must admit that my limited knowledge the House of Bourbon Parma came from Queen Anne of Romania and Duke Carlos Hugo.

I had never heard about Prince Sixte-Henri !

My condolences to the Ducal Family for the death of Princess Birgitte.

Her Royal Highness Princess Maria Cristina of Bourbon-Parma died in Wien yesterday, 1st September 2009.
She was born in Wien on 7 June 1925, the youngest daughter and child of HRH Prince Elias, later Duke of Parma between 1950 and 1959, and his wife, née Archduchess Maria Anna of Austria; she was unmarried like all her siblings, except Princess Alice.
My condolences to the Ducal Family.

My condolences to Princess Maria Cristina's family.
May she rest in peace.

MAfan; she was unmarried like all her siblings said:
alice had married prince alfonso, duke of calabria (died 1964) and thier son carlos is now considered to be the head of the royal house of the two sicillies, since he is the nearest male heir to the last king !! :)

Article about the decease of Princess Maria Cristina de Borbon Parma

Copy an article in Monarquia Confidencial

Fallece a los 84 años la princesa María Cristina de Borbón-Parma
transp.gif

viernes, 04 de septiembre de 2009
transp.gif

La princesa María Cristina era la hermana menor y la última que le quedaba viva a la infanta doña Alicia, madre del infante Don Carlos, duque de Calabria. Fue bautizada así en recuerdo de la reina María Cristina de España, segunda esposa de Alfonso XII, debido a que su madre María Ana era sobrina carnal de la Reina Regente.

transp.gif

transp.gif

Después de sufrir durante los últimos cuatro años de precaria salud, el pasado 1 de septiembre de 2009 falleció en Viena la princesa Maria Cristina Albertina Enrichetta Luisa Pia Carlotta de Borbón-Parma, nacida en Viena el 7 de junio de 1925, última de los ocho hijos de Elías de Borbón, duque de Parma y Piacenza, y de su esposa la archiduquesa María Ana de Austria-Teschen. Era nieta paterna del último duque reinante de Parma, Roberto I, y de su primera esposa la princesa María Pía de Borbón-Dos Sicilias. Y era nieta materna del archiduque Federico de Austria, duque de Teschen, comandante supremo del Ejército Austríaco durante la Primera Guerra Mundial, y de la princesa Isabel de Croÿ.
Sus parentescos con la realeza europea eran muy estrechos. Pongamos como ejemplos que por el lado paterno su tía María Luisa de Parma era la esposa del Fernando de Sajonia-Coburgo-Gotha, primero príncipe y luego rey de los Búlgaros; su tía Zita de Parma era la mujer del último emperador de Austria, Carlos I, o que su tío Félix de Parma fue el esposo de Carlota, gran duquesa de Luxemburgo, abuelos del actual gran duque reinante de ese pequeño país europeo.
Pertenecía por tanto, por varonía, a la Casa Ducal soberana de Parma, rama de los Borbones de España, que reinaron en ese territorio hasta la unificación italiana. Por su línea materna, era del linaje de los Austria-Teschen. El ducado de Teschen, en la Alta Silesia, perteneció a la Casa de Austria desde 1653 y era un territorio autónomo de la Corona de Bohemia, que recaía sobre los Habsburgo. A principios del siglo XVIII lo recibió Leopoldo, duque de Lorena, como compensación por los derechos de su abuela materna al ducado de Montferrato, que el emperador había cedido a los duques de Saboya. El emperador Francisco I lo cedió a su hija María Cristina, casada con el príncipe Alberto de Sajonia, desde entonces llamado duque de Sajonia-Teschen. Aunque la mayor parte de Silesia pasó a Prusia en 1742, Teschen permaneció bajo control de los Austria, fue parte del Imperio Austríaco desde 1804 y de Austria-Hungría desde 1867, siendo dividido entre Polonia y Checoslovaquia tras la Primera Guerra Mundial.
Alberto y María Cristina no tuvieron descendencia por lo que el ducado pasó a su hijo adoptivo el archiduque Carlos de Austria, comandante y reformador del ejército austríaco, hijo del emperador Leopoldo II y de María Luisa de España, que se convirtió en Duque de Teschen iniciando la rama Teschen de los Habsburgo-Lorena. El título pasó a su hijo Alberto Federico y en 1895 a su sobrino el archiduque Federico María, abuelo de la princesa María Cristina de Borbón-Parma.
La fallecida –que será incinerada- era solteria y muy conocida en la sociedad austríaca y alemana. En familia era llamada “tía Putz”. Y así la conocían los hijos y nietos de su hermana la infanta Alicia, madre del infante Don Carlos, duque de Calabria. Precisamente, a los actos fúnebres que se celebrarán el próximo día 10 de septiembre en la cripta de los Borbón-Parma, en la Mönichkirchen de la localidad austríaca de Pinggau, asistirá éste acompañado de su hijo el príncipe Pedro de Borbón-Dos Sicilias, Duque de Noto, y de su hija la princesa Cristina de Borbón-Dos Sicilias.

They are lot of unmarried princes and princesses of Bourbon Parme.
Only two of the six children of Prince Xavier marrried : Princess Françoise and Prince Carlos Hugo.
Only one child of Carlos Hugo married and twice!
Princess Françoise has 4 children , 3 boys and 1 daugher . two of her sons died and her daughter is a nun.
Could somebody tell me if the only son of Francoise Lobkovich(!)has children ?

The online gotha by Paul Theroff reports he isn't married and has no children.

Her son, prince Charles-Henri de Lobkovicz is apparently still single.

:bourbonparma:
HRH Prince Carlos de Bourbon Parma,eldest son of TRH The Duke of Parma and Princess Irene of The Netherlands,
will marry miss Annemarie Gualthérie van Weezel in 2010.The couple have been an item for several years now.
Miss Gualthérie van Weezel is a political editor for dutch national NOS television,while the Prince,ao,is a director
of a foundation for innovation and sustainebility.No exact date has been set except for 2010.

That's a great news! Congratulations to them!

Will the wedding be dinastic? Is Annemarie a catholic? It will be interesting to see which Bourbon-Parmas will attend! And I am also curious about the place they will chose for the wedding.

Bourbon-Parme Family and music

Hi, I'm new here and I hope I'll do everything correctly...

I am researching for a film on Frederic Chopin and came across a rumour that the Bourbon-Parme family might be in possession of some of his original work. Does anyone her know who in the family would be passionate about classical music - or does anyone have an idea to point me into the right research direction?

I would be very very grateful for any hints and am sending best wishes and many thanks
:lucky:

The duke of Parma and his 4 children were received in an audience by pope Benedict XVI:

Borbone Parma (go to 'eventi -> eventi 2009)

Last edited:
Rome,last july 9th;

TRH The Duke of Prama and Prince Carlos,Prince Jaime,Princess Margarita and Princess Maria Carolina were received in a private audience by His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI:

http://www.borbon-parma.net/Actualidad/actualidad.htm

HRH The Duke also hosted a Ducal Ball the revenue of which went to the Oncology Ward of the Piacenza hospital.

The Family attended Holy Mass at the Basilica of Piacenza on occasion of the 30th anniversary of the death of the Dukes father,Prince Xavier.

-----------------------

Once upon a time in the Soestdijk Palace garden:

http://www.borbon-parma.net/Imagenes/familia/foto-13.jpg

courtesy HRH The Duke of Parma.

A protocol question: is Princess Margarete, the ex wife of the late Prince Gaetano, still styled as Princess of Bourbon-Parma? Or did she reverted to her former title of Princess von Thurn und Taxis after the divorce?

the wedding is not dynastic, Annemarie is neither a member of the Dutch nobility nor patriciat. She is a protestant I think (her father is).
She will become a princess after the wedding since the Bourbon-Parmas were accepted to the Dutch nobility in the 90ties.

Will the wedding be dinastic? Is Annemarie a catholic? It will be interesting to see which Bourbon-Parmas will attend! And I am also curious about the place they will chose for the wedding.

I guess we can only wait and see what Duke Carlos Hugo will decide.
Btw, I hope he will recognize the marriage as dinastyc...

Can he? I thought that through the marriage his younger brother Jaime will automatically be the next in line.

I guess we can only wait and see what Duke Carlos Hugo will decide.
Btw, I hope he will recognize the marriage as dinastyc...

Carlos Hugo is the Duke of Parma, the Head of the Family; I don't know which are exactly the rules of BP Family, but usually is the Head of the Family to decide if a marriage is dynastic or not (at least if the future groom or bride asks for the permission; in House Savoy, for example, even the morganatic marriages need to be allowed by the Head, while if a Prince or Princess doesn't ask for the permission automatically he/she loses his/her titles and rights - as well as it happens in the Netherlands, I guess).

The engagement was announced between Prince Tristan of Bourbon-Parmaand Shira Szabo, an Israeli architect.
Prince Tristan is the son of Prince Rémy of Bourbon-Parma (son of Princ Louis and of his wife Princess Maria Francesca, née Princess of Savoy) and of his first wife Laurence, née Dufresne d'Arganchy).

Congrats on Prince Tristan's engagement....

Royals may marry communors, but RRHH from non-reigning houses have to marry between them such as Gustav von Sayn-B and Carlos of Bourbon. Why ??

:previous:
Different families, different rules. There is no "one size fits all" and as time goes by many families are relaxing their House Rules.

I have moved/copied all posts about the Bourbon-Parma and their involvement with Carlism, and about the Montejurra massacre to a new thread, which you can find here.

HSH prince Edouard de Lobkowicz, husband of HRH princess Francoise de Bourbon-Parma, died in Paris on April 2. Do some member know details about the funerals and the burial place? It would be interesting to see some photo of this event, also if sad.
Reading about his death, I also realized that his firstborn died from gunshot. Was it a murder? A suicide? Is this issue discussed on the forum already?

The funerals will be on April 8 at the church of St Thomas d'Acquin. His two sons are buried in the cemetery of Grainville-Ymauville, so the family may have decided to bury him there too. The elder of his sons was murdered, it was not suicide: some details? It is reported that the guy was in touch with not trustful people, but I have no idea what kind of people were they.
Wikipedia reports that the castle in Grainville-Ymauville has been his residence until 2009: is the castle still in possession of the family? Was it sold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom