HRH Duke Amedeo (1943-2021) and the Savoy-Aosta Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Only 7 years? AFAIK they were separated only in 1976, after 12 years from their marriage in 1964, and got divorced in 1982. Claude then quickly remarried to Arnaldo La Cagnina, on the same year.

Duke Amadeo together with his wife duchess Silvia have attended the dinner organised by princes Alvaro of Bourbon-Orleans in Monaco. The latest edition of "Point de vue" magazine has a great gallery of photos from this event.

Could someone provide the picture (from Point de Vue) of the 50 th birthday of Prince Aymone ? Really a nice family and Princess Claude de France attended.

HRH Prince Amedeo and his son HRH Prince Aimone can bear now the surname Di Savoia because of the decision of the Appeal Court of Florence from this January.

HRH Prince Amedeo and his son HRH Prince Aimone can bear now the surname Di Savoia because of the decision of the Appeal Court of Florence from this January.

Interesting, so they can call themselves Di Savoia and do not need to pay damages to Vittorio Emanuele? Do you have a link to the arrest of the Court? I would like to read their considerations.

Interesting, so they can call themselves Di Savoia and do not need to pay damages to Vittorio Emanuele? Do you have a link to the arrest of the Court? I would like to read their considerations.

I just read it on "Noblesses Royautes" and there were no further details but it seems they do not have to pay anything to their distant cousins.

Last edited:
I think the name "Savoia-Aosta" was only a desiganation to make a difference with the other branch, but in essence they are direct male line legal Savoias of course, maybe that was the consideration of the Court of Appeal. In the end Vittorio-Emanuele and his far cousin Amedeo both are great- great- grandsons of King Vittorio Emanuele II.

Vittorio Emanuele II di Savoia, Re d'Italia
x Adelheid von Habsburg, Erzherzogin von Österreich
= Amedeo

Amedeo di Savoia, I Duca d'Aosta
x Maria Vittoria dei principi dal Pozzo della Cisterna
= Emanuele Filiberto

Emanuele Filiberto di Savoia, II Duca d'Aosta
x Hélène d'Orléans, Princesse de France
= Aimone

Aimone di Savoia, IV Duca d'Aosta
x Irene, Princess of Greece and Denmark
= Amedeo

Amedeo di Savoia, V Duca d'Aosta
x Claude d'Orléans, Princesse de France
= Aimone

Aimone di Savoia
x Olga, Princess of Greece
= Umberto di Savoia
= Amedeo di Savoia
= Isabella di Savoia

Last edited:
I think the name "Savoia-Aosta" was only a desiganation to make a difference with the other branch, but in essence they are direct male line Savoias of course:

Vittorio Emmanuele II di Savoia, Re d'Italia
x Adelheid von Habsburg, Erzherzogin von Österreich
= Amedeo di Savoia

Amedeo di Savoia, I Duca d'Aosta
x Maria Vittoria dal Pozzo della Cisterna
= Emanuele Filiberto di Savoia

Emanuele Filiberto di Savoia, II Duca d'Aosta
x Hélène d'Orléans, Princesse de France
= Aimone di Savoia

Aimone di Savoia, IV Duca d'Aosta
x Irene, Princess of Greece and Denmark
= Amedeo di Savoia

Amedeo di Savoia, V Duca d'Aosta
x Claude d'Orléans, Princesse de France
= Aimone di Savoia

Aimone di Savoia
x Olga, Princess of Greece
= Umberto di Savoia
= Amedeo di Savoia
= Isabella di Savoia

Their Surname have always been Di Savoia so this trial had no sense.

Their Surname have always been Di Savoia so this trial had no sense.

It made sense because they lost a lawsuit and in the end won the appeal. Had they not appealed then they were never Di Savoia again.

The problem was that Amedeo and Aimone's legal surname is "Savoia Aosta", but at times they have used just "Savoia". So Vittorio Emanuele and Emanuele Filiberto has sued them, claiming that Amedeo and Aimone were usurping their surname "Savoia".
This last decision has stated that Amedeo and Aimone are free to call themselved just "Savoia" or just "Aosta" or to use both surnames jointly; the use of just the "Savoia" part of their legal surname cannot be considered as an usurpation of Vittorio Emanuele and Emanuele Filiberto's surname. This however doesn't change the fact that legally their surname still is "Savoia Aosta".

Here is a press release from Prince Amedeo's website:
Comunicato del 15 gennaio 2018 “Sentenza sull’uso del Cognome” – Real Casa di Savoia

The problem was that Amedeo and Aimone's legal surname is "Savoia Aosta", but at times they have used just "Savoia". So Vittorio Emanuele and Emanuele Filiberto has sued them, claiming that Amedeo and Aimone were usurping their surname "Savoia".
This last decision has stated that Amedeo and Aimone are free to call themselved just "Savoia" or just "Aosta" or to use both surnames jointly; the use of just the "Savoia" part of their legal surname cannot be considered as an usurpation of Vittorio Emanuele and Emanuele Filibegrto's surname. This however doesn't change the fact that legally their surname still is "Savoia Aosta".

Here is a press release from Prince Amedeo's website:
Comunicato del 15 gennaio 2018 “Sentenza sull’uso del Cognome” – Real Casa di Savoia

I think I can understand the logic of the Court. In the Netherlands we see royals using "Van Oranje" as surname. For an example the King's four "Van Oranje-Nassau, Van Vollenhoven" cousins. Or using "Glücksborg" instead of "Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksborg".

It's more or less as if one claimed that i.e. German politician Karl Theodor zu Guttenberg cannot call himself or sign using that name, because legally his surname is Buhl-Freiherr von und zu Guttenberg and therefore should call himself or sign exclusively as "Karl Theodor Buhl-Freiherr von und zu Guttenberg".
Or - back to Italy - if one claimed that Beatrice Borromeo cannot use just the surname "Borromeo", since legally her surname is "Borromeo Arese Taverna".
Or if one sued current Italian Prime Minister because he calls himself simply Paolo Gentiloni, instead of using in each and every occasion, formally or informally, publicly or privately, always the full surname "Gentiloni Silveri".

Their legal surname is not "Di Savoia" but "Savoia Aosta".

Scroll down the following link (an interview to Prince Amedeo, dating back 2016) and you can see a photo of Amedeo's passport, where the surname is listed as "Savoia Aosta":
Ho 16 tatuaggi, 11 nipoti, ho fatto il giro del mondo e, se fossi stato re, non mi sarei divertito tanto - Corriere.it

HRH Prince Amedeo was born with the surname Di Savoia and all his ancestors in the last century had the same surname. His surname had never been simply Savoia (without Di).

HRH Prince Amedeo was born with the surname Di Savoia and all his ancestors in the last century had the same surname. His surname had never been simply Savoia (without Di).

Nobody has claimed it was that it was 'simply Savoia' either.
The Crown Prince and the Prince of Venice belong to the first-line dynasts as eldest son and grandson of the late King. The Duke of Aosta belongs to the 2nd son line of the late King, and are therefore named as such.

I suppose anyone can claim to use whatever shortening of their legal name as they wish, and the court has so decreed, but it does nothing to change the legal status of the name and title, and it does nothing to further cohesion in the cause of monarchy or unity (using the word ironically) in the Italian Royal Family.

I tought my previous post was quite clear on the matter, but I was talking about Amedeo's current legal surname.
About it, I believe that his passport (a legal document issued by the Italian Republic that certifies the identity of its holder) is very clear in listing his legal surname, which appears to be "Savoia Aosta" (and not "di Savoia").. Unless of course you wants to suggest that his passporto is wrong...
Anyway, it was exactly the difference in the surnames born by Vittorio Emanuele and Emanuele Filiberto "di Savoia" and by Amedeo and Aimone "Savoia Aosta" which formed the grounds for the lawsuit.

I tought my previous post was quite clear on the matter, but I was talking about Amedeo's current legal surname.
About it, I believe that his passport (a legal document issued by the Italian Republic that certifies the identity of its holder) is very clear in listing his legal surname, which appears to be "Savoia Aosta" (and not "di Savoia").. Unless of course you wants to suggest that his passporto is wrong...
Anyway, it was exactly the difference in the surnames born by Vittorio Emanuele and Emanuele Filiberto "di Savoia" and by Amedeo and Aimone "Savoia Aosta" which formed the grounds for the lawsuit.

So it is Vittorio Emanuele di Savoia and Amedeo Savoia Aosta?

Umberto I (King of Italy) and Amedeo (1st Duke of Savoy) were brothers. Why has the line of one brother the surname "Di Savoia" and the line of the other brother "Savoia Aosta" (without Di).

Either somewhere it was decreed as such, or it was a mistake in a municipal administration, which since then has become official?

All the members of the different branches of the Dynasty have always had the surname Di Savoia and never only Savoia. In Italy you could have families that have the surnamevstarting with Di even if they are not nobility.
The trial was not about the Di part of the surname but only about the part Savoia.

Wikipedia lists his last name as Savoia-Aosta, as does the Italian Republic in his passport, so I suppose that was his legal name until the aforementioned court decision.

Wikipedia lists his last name as Savoia-Aosta, as does the Italian Republic in his passport, so I suppose that was his legal name until the aforementioned court decision.

When he was born in 1943 his surname contained Di like the surname of all the members of the Dynasty.

So it is Vittorio Emanuele di Savoia and Amedeo Savoia Aosta?

Umberto I (King of Italy) and Amedeo (1st Duke of Savoy) were brothers. Why has the line of one brother the surname "Di Savoia" and the line of the other brother "Savoia Aosta" (without Di).

Either somewhere it was decreed as such, or it was a mistake in a municipal administration, which since then has become official?

Exactly, it is Vittorio Emanuele di Savoia and Amedeo Savoia Aosta.

I believe that the change in the Aostas surname happened sometime after the proclamation of the Republic and the introduction of the republican Constitution; its 14th final provision states that titles of nobility shall not be recognised, but the place-names included in those existing before 28 October 1922 shall serve as part of the surname.
I believe that this lead, at one point, to a change of Amedeo's surname into Savoia Aosta, to add the place name of his family dukedom (Aosta) to the surname.

The trial was not about the Di part of the surname but only about the part Savoia.

The trial was about the question if it is allowed to Amedeo and Aimone Savoia Aosta to call themselves only "di Savoia" or "Savoia" or "Aosta" or if, instead and as it was claimed by Vittorio Emanuele and Emanuele Filiberto, they should always call themselves "Savoia Aosta", because that is theie legal surname.

The decision of the Court of Appeal of Firenze doesn't change in any way Amedeo and Aimone's surname: it simply says that they are allowed to call themselves "Amedeo di Savoia" and "Aimone di Savoia", if they want to do so, and are not forced to call themselves only and exclusively "Savoia Aosta".

The trial was about the question if it is allowed to Amedeo and Aimone Savoia Aosta to call themselves only "di Savoia" or "Savoia" or "Aosta" or if, instead and as it was claimed by Vittorio Emanuele and Emanuele Filiberto, they should always call themselves "Savoia Aosta", because that is theie legal surname.

The decision of the Court of Appeal of Firenze doesn't change in any way Amedeo and Aimone's surname: it simply says that they are allowed to call themselves "Amedeo di Savoia" and "Aimone di Savoia", if they want to do so, and are not forced to call themselves only and exclusively "Savoia Aosta".

Can they now use "di Savioa" in their Italian documents ?

Back
Top Bottom