HRH Duke Amedeo (1943-2021) and the Savoy-Aosta Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Mafalda of Savoy is at her second marriage.

HRH Duke Amedeo of Savoy-Aosta, HRH Princess Silvia of Savoy-Aosta, and HRH Princess Maria-Gabriella of Savoy participated together with the members of the Royal House of Bourbon-Two Sicilies at an official dinner and than at the Beatification of Queen Maria Cristina of Savoy in Naples:

Napoli, i Borbone a cena con i Savoia prima della beatificazione di Maria Cristina

The two daughters of the third Duke of Aosta took also part at the Beatification of Queen Maria Cristina of Savoy:

http://www.monarchia.it/attivitasvolte_20140125_napoli.html

Last edited by a moderator:
On the 16th of March HRH Prince Amedeo of Savoy,Duke of Savoy, became Onorary President of the Center of Military Studies "HRH Prince Emanuele Filiberto di Savoia,Duca D'Aosta".

Sent from my GT-S6312 using The Royals Community mobile app

HRH Prince Amedeo of Savoy, Duke of Savoy and Head of the Royal House, sent a Message to the italian royalists at the 70th anniversary of UMI:

ROMA: CELEBRATO IL 70° ANNIVERSARIO DELLA FONDAZIONE DELL'U.M.I.

HRH Prince Amedeo of Savoy, Duke of Savoy and Head of the Royal House of Savoy, speaks about the possibility of the burial of the last two Kings and Queens of Italy at the Pantheon in Rome but also about the possible restoration of Monarchy in Italy:

Amedeo di Savoia: «Tornino le salme dei sovrani. E magari anche la monarchia» - Politica - iltempo

http://www.monarchia.it/news_amedeo_iltempo_07052014.html

Nice and patriottic letter by The Duke of Aosta but somewhat confusing:

"Alzate in alto il vostro Labaro, simbolo della vostra fedeltà alla Patria, e continuate con la vostra silenziosa presenza a testimoniare le virtù del popolo italiano."

(Translation: "Raise high your Banner, a symbol of your loyalty to the Fatherland, and continue with your silent presence to testimony the virtues of the Italian people".)

This can be read as a call for loyalty to the present Italian State. But maybe Don Amedeo already has left the path leading to any restoration and sees the fait accompli.

:flowers:

HRH Prince Amedeo as well as HRH Crown Prince Aimone respect the institutions even if they consider Monarchy is important and possible to be restored.

The Duke of Aosta has always been respectful to the national institutions. In fact, since he never left Italy (unlike the other branch of the Savoy family) he did the military service (it was obligatory in Italy until ten years ago) and he sworn his fealty to the Republic. but this doesn't mean he and his son aren't allowed to have different political beliefs. they think monarchy can ensure a greater national cohesion and the political neutrality that an elected president who comes from a political party cannot provide, especially in Italy, where the Head of State has the same power and functions of the King of Belgium, so it's almost a ceremonial figure.

I agree with that last (that a monarchy can unite Italy). In my country, France, there has always been a strong centralistic, unitarian state and the French are, in their core essence, a people with strong nationalistic and conservative tendences.

I wonder how strong these sentiments are in Italy? After all there was a strong division in various kingdoms, principalities, duchies and -not to forget- the Papal State until the unification in 1861. Maybe this will cause that there will always be separatist tendences, despite the form of state? After all, Spain is a monarchy and we can not say it is really unifying, looking to Pays Basque and Catalonia...

Last edited:
From my sxperience in Italy there will always be division, local culture is still going strong, with dialects and traditions and recriminations between north and south ... I think it's safe to say the only occasion we're united it's during the Football World Cup lol
If you ask people from Naples for example they still feel close to the Bourbons...but even the Lega Nord party has given up its secession dream, so the Nation unity is not in question like in Spain or in Belgium

Sent from my GT-P5100 using The Royals Community mobile app

The unity of the Nation begins with the unity in the Royal House. We see in the House of Naples (Borbone-Due Sicilie) that the two rivalling branches have decided to appear as one family, one House. In the House of Bourbon the relationship between Bourbon (Luis Alfonso de Borbón) and Orléans (Henri and his son Jean) seems to improve as well. At last they seem to realize that division is no good for the monarchist cause.

In Italy, when Prince Emanuele Filiberto gets no son, maybe the monarchists will ultmately rally around Prince Umberto di Savoia-Aosta. Of course, I would not be surprised when suddenly Emanuele Filiberto then declares his daughter Vittoria as head of the House, in this way continuing the rivalry.

We will see.

I doubt that a monarch alone can unite people. It can have a (small) contribution, but the wish for unity/seperatism is based on other issues. Mainly a rich region not wanting pay for a poorer region. A sentiment of greed that is exploited fully by the populist parties in Europe.

I suppose they can get inspiration from the Bragation family in how to solve such issues, though it was said to be a rather unhappy solution for those involved. In this day an age that is extremely unlikely (and unwanted).

Last edited:
A wedding of Prince Umberto (*2009) di Savoia-Aosta with Princess Vittoria (*2004) di Savoia would indeed end all possible feuds.

When Prince Emanuele Filiberto respects the last Constitution, and the traditions of his House, and has an eye for the monarchist case, he will accept Prince Umberto as the future head of the Royal House of Italy. It would be great when Prince Aimone and Prince Emanuele Filiberto develop a good relationship and agree in a sort of pact like in the House of Naples (Borbone-Due Sicilie).

Last edited:
I suppose that some may argue that if he would respect the cause, he would have recognised the present Duke of Aosta already. TBH, I think that king Umberto was quite wise in taking the family seal with him to the grave.

The Royal House leaded by HRH Prince Amedeo has no dialogue at all with Mr Emanuele-Filiberto di Savoia. No comparison could be made with the Royal House of Two Sicilies where we speak about branches of the same Royal Family.

I suppose that some may argue that if he would respect the cause, he would have recognised the present Duke of Aosta already. TBH, I think that king Umberto was quite wise in taking the family seal with him to the grave.

I think Prince Emanuele Filiberto can not recognize the Duke of Aosta, other than being the current Number Two in the line of succession. After all Prince Emanuele Filiberto's own father considers himself as the head of the Royal House of Italy, and he is his own father's successor.

When the Prince remains father of two daughters, the current line of possible successors is pretty clear and things will solve "automatically":

0 - Prince Vittorio Emanuele di Savoia, The Duke of Savoia
1 - Prince Emanuele Filiberto di Savoia (son)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
0 - Prince Amedeo di Savoia-Aosta , The Duke of Aosta
1 - Prince Aimone di Savoia-Aosta (son)
2 - Prince Umberto di Savoia-Aosta (grandson)
3 - Prince Amedeo di Savoia-Aosta (grandson)

:lol:

Last edited:
The Royal House leaded by HRH Prince Amedeo has no dialogue at all with Mr Emanuele-Filiberto di Savoia. No comparison could be made with the Royal House of Two Sicilies where we speak about branches of the same Royal Family.

Of course we can compare because the Duke of Savoia and the Duke of Aosta are chefs of branches of the same family as well?

Yes indeed, it's a novel revisionism to hold that the Savoys and the Savoy-Aostas are not two branches of the same family!

The Duke of Aosta has always been respectful to the national institutions. In fact, since he never left Italy (unlike the other branch of the Savoy family) he did the military service (it was obligatory in Italy until ten years ago) and he sworn his fealty to the Republic.

Marchesina, King Umberto and his male descendants were forced into exile after the Republicans had won the referendum in 1946, and they were forbidden to enter Italy until 2002, when the then government changed the so called 'XIII arrangement'. Prince Amedeo wasn't a male heir, so he and his children could easily live in Italy.

Well Prince Amedeo, the present Duke of Aosta, was (and is) a male heir but he was no descendant of King Umberto indeed.

I hope all turns well for the Italian monarchist cause. I hold Prince Aimone and Princess Olga in high esteem. I like their restraint and serious behaviour.

HRH Prince Amedeo of Savoy, Duke of Savoy, was forcefully abroad only when he was a child.

Well Prince Amedeo, the present Duke of Aosta, was (and is) a male heir but he was no descendant of King Umberto indeed.
That's the point; the constitutional provision stated that the access and sojourn to the Italian territory was forbidden to the ex kings of the House of Savoy, their spouses and their male descendants. This meant that only King Vittorio Emanuele III, Queen Elena, King Umberto II, Queen Maria José and Prince Vittorio Emanuele were touched by this provision (and later also Vittorio Emanuele's wife and son).
Prince Amedeo was not a descendant of the ex Kings. He was indeed a member of the Royal Family and a Prince of Savoy, he was a possible successor to the ex Kings, but not a descendant from them. He was in the same situation of the Princes of Savoy-Genova.

[....] Prince Amedeo was not a descendant of the ex Kings. He was indeed a member of the Royal Family and a Prince of Savoy, he was a possible successor to the ex Kings, but not a descendant from them. He was in the same situation of the Princes of Savoy-Genova.

Well, also Prince Amedeo, the current Duke of Aosta is a descendant of an Italian King in direct paternal lineage:

Vittorio Emanuele II di Savoia, King of Italy x Archduchess Maria Adelaide of Austria-Lorraine
= Prince Amedeo di Savoia-Aosta

Prince Amedeo di Savoia-Aosta, 1st Duke of Aosta x Maria Vittoria dal Pozzo, Princess della Cisterna, Etc.
= Prince Emanuele Filiberto di Savoia-Aosta

Prince Emanuele Filiberto di Savoia-Aosta, 2nd Duke of Aosta x Princess Hélène d'Orléans
= Prince Aimone di Savoia-Aosta

Prince Aimone di Savoia-Aosta, 4rth Duke of Aosta x Princess Irene of Greece and Denmark
= Prince Amedeo di Savoia-Aosta

Prince Amedeo di Savoia-Aosta, 5th Duke of Aosta x Princess Claude d'Orléans
= Prince Aimone di Savoia-Aosta

Prince Aimone di Savoia-Aosta, future 6th Duke of Aosta x Princess Olga of Greece
= Prince Umberto di Savoia-Aosta

Prince Umberto di Savoia-Aosta, future 7th Duke of Aosta

I hope all turns well for the Italian monarchist cause. I hold Prince Aimone and Princess Olga in high esteem. I like their restraint and serious behaviour.

Well, the Italian mornarchists can rejoice already, as we do have a King in Rome at present: it's Re Giorgio I a.k.a President Giorgio Napolitano, who bears a startling ressemblance with the late King Umberto. After all he is the son of a Piedmontese Countess, so he might well be related to the former King.;) The only Italian President who's trampling on the Republican Constitution, thus a king...:eek:

Last edited:
HRH Prince Umberto of Savoy is Prince of Piedmont.

Cory ,
At least write the correct name or read Wiki....
He is Prince of Piemont.

Duc_et _Pair I really like your interesting threads . Thanks for sharing ! MO

Piedmont is in English and Piemonte in Italian. The thread is in English not in Italian.
HRH Crown Prince Aimone of Savoy id Duke of Aosta and Duke of Apulia (Puglie).

That is right, but I only wanted to keep things simple to illustrate that Amedeo, his son Aimone and his grandson Umberto are all (future) Dukes of Aosta and are all direct male lineage descendants of an Italian King.

Well, also Prince Amedeo, the current Duke of Aosta is a descendant of an Italian King in direct paternal lineage:
Yes, he is indeed; but the point of my previous post is that Prince Amedeo was allowed to reside in Italy after 1946 and was not forced to live in exile because he wasn't a descendant of the two "ex Kings of the House of Savoy" affected by the constitutional provision, in spite of the fact that he was a member of the royal family, a male line descendant from the first King of Italy and a possible successor to the throne or however to the headship of the House of Savoy.

Back
Top Bottom