HRH Duke Amedeo (1943-2021) and the Savoy-Aosta Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I stand corrected. Both the Savoias and the Savoia-Aostas are direct male lineage descendants from an Italian King, but of course the first ones (Vittorio Emanuele and his son Emanuele Filiberto) are son and grandson of the last Italian King.

On itself that makes their position way stronger than that of their Savoia-Aosta cousins, if it was not for the dispute about the wedding of Vittorio Emanuele being dynastic or not. I hope in the end both Houses of the same dynasty will meet together. When Emanuele Filiberto fathers no son inside his marriage, little Prince Umberto will automatically become the undisputed most senior male dynast.
:flowers:
Pic: Prince Umberto and his brother Prince Amedeo (pictured in 2011), the future of the Italian monarchists. Source monarchia.it : http://www.monarchia.it/immagini_sabaude/umberto_amedeo_natale2011.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
...When Emanuele Filiberto fathers no son inside his marriage, little Prince Umberto will automatically become the undisputed most senior male dynast.
Yes, the dynastic dispute will resolve itself in the longer term. Once again it mirrors the situation in the Royal House of Bourbon-Two Sicilies where the Duke of Castro has two daughters and the Duke of Noto has sons.

Perhaps down the track Emanuele Filiberto and Aimone will reach a similar accommodation and the bad blood can be left behind. Encouragingly, there don't appear to be personal differences between the two, at least publicly, and the deep-seated animosity may be confined to their fathers. However, that situation in itself may lead EF and Aimone to be rather cautious in making an approach to each other.

Last edited:
HRH Crown Prince Aimone of Savoy has nothing against his distant cousin but the Duke of Aosta supports enterely the leadership of his father, the Duke of Savoy.

Last edited:
The physic distance plays a role as well. I believe Prince Aimone, Princess Olga and their children live in Moscow, where is he is CEO of the Russian and Scandinavian ofice of the Italian firm Pirelli.

His distant cousin Prince Emanuele Filiberto is filling his life in Rome, contesting in TV shows and reality TV or making advertorials for electronic cigarettes. His spouse is everywhere and nowhere, attending the one red carpet event after the other.

It looks like both are so different that it seems almost impossible they will ever meet or become befriended. The same goes for the persons of the mammas here: Princess Claude d'Orléans and Marina Doria... I don't think it is a good idea to have these two ladies together in one room...

:lol:

Princess Claude D'Orleans is not a member of the Royal House of Savoy.

Which members of the Royal House of Savoy participated at the wedding of HIRH Archduke Amedeo ?

Princess Bianca and her husband, Count Giberto Arrivabene-Valenti-Gonzaga, and of course the groom's grandmother, née Princess Margherita of Savoy-Aosta.

Obviously the health problems did not allow HRH Prince Amedeo of Savoy to attend the wedding of HIRH Archduke Amedeo.

Why is that so obvious? Does the duke have health problems?

He was less healthy in the last year.

A new book has just been published about the Duke of Aosta, which summarises his life.

Prince Amedeo, Duke of Aosta was born in 1943 as the only son of Prince Aimone, Duke of Aosta and Princess Irene of Greece. In 1964, he married Princess Claude of France in Sintra, Portugal. The couple have three children, Princess Bianca, the Duke of Apulia and Princess Mafalda. However, in 1987, the Duke of Aosta remarried, this time to Silvia, Marchesa di Paterno Spedalotto.

The book includes a number of photographs, anecdotes, unpublished documents and letters about the family. It sounds like an interesting read:

Livre-entretien avec le duc d’Aoste

Last edited:
A new book has just been published about the Duke of Aosta, which summarises his life.

Prince Amedeo, Duke of Aosta was born in 1943 as the only son of Prince Aimone, Duke of Aosta and Princess Irene of Greece. In 1964, he married Princess Claude of France in Sintra, Portugal. The couple have two children, Princess Bianca, the Duke of Apulia and Princess Mafalda. However, in 1987, the Duke of Aosta remarried, this time to Silvia, Marchesa di Paterno Spedalotto.

The book includes a number of photographs, anecdotes, unpublished documents and letters about the family. It sounds like an interesting read:

Livre-entretien avec le duc d’Aoste
They had 3 children- Mafalda, Bianca and Aimone.

Does he have health problems lately?

If you mean in the last year or so, apparently yes, according to your own previous posts:
Obviously the health problems did not allow HRH Prince Amedeo of Savoy to attend the wedding of HIRH Archduke Amedeo.
He was less healthy in the last year.

Any Statement of HRH Prince Amedeo regarding the debate concerning the " civil unions"?

There has been no statement from Amedeo regarding the bill on civil unions.

A wise move on his part, given his checkered marital past.

He was not very present in the public space recently.

Noblesse et royautes has an exceptionally nice photo of the duke and duchess of Aosta ánd Princess Claude of France with 10 of their 11 grandchildren. The picture was taken in Venice at the 50th birthday of Princess Bianca of Aosta.

http://www.noblesseetroyautes.com/?p=114818

Last edited:
Shame that Princess Isabella is not on the picture. I love her :heart:

But it's really nice that Princess Silvia is also included.

What a great picture and all of them blue blood, a rare sight in today's royalty. I missed Princess Olga?

Crown Prince Aimone and his daughter, Princess Isabella, were not in the photo.

It is wonderful to see Prince Amedeo surrounded by his grandchildren.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a lovely photo, thank you for sharing Marengo. :flowers:
However, I a do agree that it's a bit strange little Isabella wasn't included.

Amedeo and Claude were such in love and had a wonderful wedding.
This wedding lasted only 7 years ; I never understood why ?

Back
Top Bottom