Engagement of Prince Carlos of B-P & Annemarie Gualthérie van Weezel; October 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lucien

Majesty
City
Amsterdam
Country
Netherlands
:bourbonparma:
HRH Prince Carlos de Bourbon Parme,eldest son of TRH The Duke of Parma and Princess Irene of The Netherlands will marry Annemarie Guathérie van Weezel in 2010.Miss Guathérie van Weezel is a political editor for dutch NOS television,the Prince is,ao,director of a foundation for innovation and sustainebility.No exact date has been set yet other then 2010.The couple have been an item for some years now.

From our blog:

Prince Carlos of Bourbon-Parma To Marry Dutch Journalist

Prince Carlos of Bourbon-Parma, the eldest son of the Duke of Parma and Princess Irene of The Netherlands, will get married. The family announced today that the prince will marry Annemarie Gualthérie van Weezel next year.

Prince Carlos Javier Bernardo of Bourbon-Parma, Prince of Piacenza, was born in Nijmegen on 27 January 1970. He studied Economy, Hostory and Political Sciences at the Wesleyan University in Connecticut and Demographics and Philosophy at the University of Cambridge. At the moment he is the director of a foundation for Innovation and Sustainability.

His fiancée, Annemarie Cecilia Gualthérie van Weezel, was born in The Hague on 18 December 1977. She has an older brother and a younger sister. Annemarie went to secundairy school in Strasbourg (France) and studied Law at the University of Utrecht. After this she studied Radio- and Television journalism at the University of Groningen. At the moment she works for the NOS (the public channel) as a parlamentary journalist in The Hague and Brussels.

Annemarie is the daughter of Hans Gualthérie van Weezel and Ank de Visser. Her father was a member of parliament for the Christian Democratic party. Later he was a member of the European Council in Strasborug, after which he became the Dutch ambassador in Luxembourg. Annemarie’s paternal grandfather is Jan Hans Gualthérie van Weezel, who was the head of the police in The Hague. During the second World War he was a member of the Dutch resistance and the commander of the resistance in Velzen. He was married to Constance Eveline Crommelin, whose family belongs to the Dutch patriciate with links to the nobility.

A link to Annemarie’s anscestors can be found here. Read more about the engagement in this thread.

According to some newspaper reports, the prince will lose his succession rioghts for the house of Bourbon-Parma by marrying a commoner. They claim that the family has a statute that says as much. I am not sure if the family actually has one and I wonder if the permission of the duke of Parma isn't enough?

I think it largely depends on the Head of the Family - and whether cadet branches will accept any changes which they may feel disadvantages their pretentions! Ex King Michael of Roumania restructured the code for his house, with no problems. GD Wladimir of Russia tweeked his - but the lesser, and more distant branches of the Romanovs have disputed them.

Does anyone with closer knowledge of the Ducal House of Bourbon Parma have anything pertinent things to say on this? Or know of anything that the D of P may have said at the announcement of the engagement? Is silence, if he was in fact silent, to be taken as disapproval?

Several marriages of Princes to commoners are considered morganatic.
The marriage of Carlos and Annemarie reminds me to the marriage of Prince Charles Emmanuel and Constance de Ravinel: her family has some links to the aristocracy, they are barons if I remember correctly, but the marriage is considered equal; Annemarie has some links to the aristocracy too, as far as I know.
So, I guess this marriage will be considered as equal.

What about the religion of the bride?
Constance de Ravinel is the daughter of a baron according to thePeerage.com, so she is a noble. If Annemarie has only a noble grandmother she isn't and that could be the basis for a different treatment.

Congratulations to the couple! The Bourbon-Parma's aren't a ruling family so i don't know why it should matter too much if it's equal or not.

MAfan, this thing does not really concern me but, it is not equal......

I agree with Sereta, they will never become the ruling family of Spain so it does not really matter.

They seem like a nice couple and I am glad for them.

Several marriages of Princes to commoners are considered morganatic.
The marriage of Carlos and Annemarie reminds me to the marriage of Prince Charles Emmanuel and Constance de Ravinel: her family has some links to the aristocracy, they are barons if I remember correctly, but the marriage is considered equal; Annemarie has some links to the aristocracy too, as far as I know.
So, I guess this marriage will be considered as equal.

Yes, maybe you're right...
The marriage of Charles Emmanuel is the one who much can resemble to the one of Carlos and Annemaria, but it's true that these are two different situations...
So, the only sure thing is that in the Ducal Family the marriages between Princes and commoners have always been considered morganatic; I hope not this one.

any pics of the couple?

I agree with Sereta, they will never become the ruling family of Spain so it does not really matter.

hi there....... sorry, but i am little confused here.....where does sereta state that the house of bourbon parma should be the ruling family of spain ?. i take it that sereta was referring to the fact that the bourdon parma family is no longer rulers of their former italian duchy of parma !!.

never the less, i do believe that the head of the house of bourbon parma, does consider himself as the carlist claimant to the spanish throne....so i suppose you are correct in a way !!......:flowers:

I too would like to see photos of the happy couple.

:previous:

Here and here are the most recent photo of Carlos and Annemarie, at the christening of Pieter van Vollenhoven back in September.

I don't think it is the case, but theoretically Carlist and Parma rules could be different: so the marriage could be equal for one claim and not for the other.
Btw, do the claims as regent of Sixte-Henry de B-P concern only Carlism or also Parma? I think that in S-H's mind the marriage has to be approved by him to be dinastic. I'm very curious to see if he will talk about the matter and what he will say. His biggest "power", IMO, is to decide who will inherit Lignières' castle: maybe Carlos? Maybe Jaime? Maybe his nephew Lobkowicz? Maybe other Bourbon-Parmas?

that is what I meant.

I know nothing about their former duchy of parma but if they are taking that into considering when desciding to marry they would be living in lala land.:flowers:

hi there....... sorry, but i am little confused here.....where does sereta state that the house of bourbon parma should be the ruling family of spain ?. i take it that sereta was referring to the fact that the bourdon parma family is no longer rulers of their former italian duchy of parma !!.

never the less, i do believe that the head of the house of bourdon parma, does consider himself as the carlist claimant to the spanish thro
ne....so i suppose you are correct in a way !!......:flowers:

I don't think it is the case, but theoretically Carlist and Parma rules could be different: so the marriage could be equal for one claim and not for the other.
Btw, do the claims as regent of Sixte-Henry de B-P concern only Carlism or also Parma? I think that in S-H's mind the marriage has to be approved by him to be dinastic. I'm very curious to see if he will talk about the matter and what he will say. His biggest "power", IMO, is to decide who will inherit Lignières' castle: maybe Carlos? Maybe Jaime? Maybe his nephew Lobkowicz? Maybe other Bourbon-Parmas?

S-H has no say in this whatshowever,not now,not ever!
(His parents marriage was deemed morganatically untill Robert II decided it was equal after all to marry that Bourbon-Busset lady).

Now it is HRH Prince Carlos Hugo,Duke of Parma,and ONLY HE who decides on what is equal or not.
HRH has approved of the marriage,he doesn't oppose,at all.He is the Head of the House,and no-one else,let alone that creature.

I know nothing about their former duchy of parma but if they are taking that into considering when desciding to marry they would be living in lala land.:flowers:

well this branch of the spanish bourbons ruled the italian duchy of parma from 1748/49 until 1859, when the family was deposed and parma was annexed to the kingdom of sardinia .....hence as to why the family is referred to as "bourbon parma" !!
thus i dare say that the boubon parma family must abide to its own family laws and rules...before that of the spanish bourdons (or the carlist family laws and rules for that matter),which could well be quite differant than the bourbon parma's.......:flowers:

Congratulations Prince Carlos & Annemarie Gualthérie van Weezel

Congratulations to the Couple.
2010 is a wonderful year for weddings. :flowers:

From our blog:

Prince Carlos of Bourbon-Parma To Marry Dutch Journalist

Prince Carlos of Bourbon-Parma, the eldest son of the Duke of Parma and Princess Irene of The Netherlands, will get married. The family announced today that the prince will marry Annemarie Gualthérie van Weezel next year.

Prince Carlos Javier Bernardo of Bourbon-Parma, Prince of Piacenza, was born in Nijmegen on 27 January 1970. He studied Economy, Hostory and Political Sciences at the Wesleyan University in Connecticut and Demographics and Philosophy at the University of Cambridge. At the moment he is the director of a foundation for Innovation and Sustainability.

His fiancée, Annemarie Cecilia Gualthérie van Weezel, was born in The Hague on 18 December 1977. She has an older brother and a younger sister. Annemarie went to secundairy school in Strasbourg (France) and studied Law at the University of Utrecht. After this she studied Radio- and Television journalism at the University of Groningen. At the moment she works for the NOS (the public channel) as a parlamentary journalist in The Hague and Brussels.

Annemarie is the daughter of Hans Gualthérie van Weezel and Ank de Visser. Her father was a member of parliament for the Christian Democratic party. Later he was a member of the European Council in Strasborug, after which he became the Dutch ambassador in Luxembourg. Annemarie’s paternal grandfather is Jan Hans Gualthérie van Weezel, who was the head of the police in The Hague. During the second World War he was a member of the Dutch resistance and the commander of the resistance in Velzen. He was married to Constance Eveline Crommelin, whose family belongs to the Dutch patriciate with links to the nobility.

A link to Annemarie’s anscestors can be found here. Read more about the engagement in this thread.

Well,Annemarie Cecilia Gualthérie van Weezel has a lot of noble ancestors...she has very interesting ancestry...she has descended from Dutch,British and German noble families as well as Italian and French further back...

Her German noble ancestors were families like:von Galen,von Schmidt auf Altenstadt und von Dalwitz und Döbringen,von Sichartshofen,von Schegh,von Wylich zu Diersfordt,von Kerpen zu Moestroff,von Flörchingen and so on...

Her noble Dutch ancestors include families like:van Egmond-Gelre,van Brederode,van Bylandt,van Wittenhorst,Torck van Nederhemert,van Bronckhorst and so on...

Through her father she is a descendant of the Kings of England,France,Scotland and even from the Byzantine Emperors...here is her line from the Byzantine Emperor:

Emperor Isaac II Angelos of Byzantium,lived from 1156-1204
I
Princess Eirene Angelos of Byzantium,lived from 1181-1208
I
Princess Maria von Hohenstaufen,lived from 1201-1235
I
Princess Mathilde von Brabant,lived from 1224-1288
I
Blanche d'Artois,Regent of Navarre,lived from 1245-1302
I
Queen Jeanne I of Navarre,lived from 1271-1304
I
Princess Isabelle of France,lived from 1292-1358
I
King Edward III of England,lived from 1312-1377
I
John of Gaunt,Duke of Lancaster,lived from 1340-1399
I
Joan de Beaufort,lived from 1370-1449
I
Richard Nevill,Earl of Salisbury,lived from 1400-1460
I
Lady Catherine Nevill,died in 1504
I
Lady Cecilie Bonville,lived from 1460-1529
I
Lady Elizabeth Grey,died in 1540
I
Gerald FitzGerald,Earl of Kildare,lived from 1525-1585
I
Lady Mary FitzGerald,lived from 1556-1610
I
Richard Nugent,Earl of Westmeath,Lord Dalvin,lived from 1583-1642
I
Christopher Nugent,Lord Dalvin,lived from 1604-1625
I
Richard Nugent,Earl of Westmeath,lived from 1621-1684
I
Christopher Nugent,Lord Dalvin,died in 1680
I
John Nugent,5th Earl of Westmeath,lived from 1671-1754
I
Thomas Nugent,6th Earl of Nugent,lived from 1714-1792
I
Georg Frederick,7th Earl of Nugent,lived from 1760-1814
I
George Thomas John,Marques of Westmeath,lived from 1785-1871
I
Lady Cecilia Henrietta Nugent,lived from 1849-1886
I
Cecilia Louise Boissevain,lived from 1875-1944
I
Constance Eveline Crommelin,lived from 1910-1993
I
Hans Johan Stephan Leonard Gualthérie van Weezel,Dutch ambassador to Luxembourg,born in 1941
I
Annemarie Cecilia Gualthérie van Weezel,born in 1977

Thanks for pointing that out Marc, to descent from the Byzantine emperors, now just how romatic is that idea?!
A very interesting geneology indeed. Do you have any idea where the Gualthérie part of her name comes from, it doesn't sound typically Dutch. French Huegenots maybe?

----
In royalty programme 'Blauw Bloed' it was said that prince Carlos and Annemarie will marry in the second half of the year. A late summer or autumn wedding probably.

Congratulations to Prince Carlos & Annemarie

The wedding is going to take place in the spring of 2010 in Brussels. Prince Carlos asked Annemarie to marry him during a picnic near the pond of Palace Het Loo. He first asked her father for permission.

Source: RTL Boulevard January 26, 2010, and RTL Boulevard online HERE. (In Dutch)

The original source is the engaged couple in the magazine Royalty.

An article from Royal Blog.

Last edited:
Congratulations to the couple !!!!!!!!!

The wedding is going to take place in the spring of 2010 in Brussels. Prince Carlos asked Annemarie to marry him during a picnic near the pond of Palace Het Loo. He first asked her father for permission.

Source: RTL Boulevard January 26, 2010, and RTL Boulevard online HERE. (In Dutch)

The original source is the engaged couple in the magazine Royalty.

An article from Royal Blog.

The summer,not the spring.:)

Nieuwsberichten Royalblog.nl: Huwelijk prins Carlos in zomer in Brussel

courtesy hja

The Prince proposed to Annemarie during a picknick at the pond in the park of Het Loo Palace;
"A spot I have very fond memories of as I was there so often as a child."..If that isn't romantic,then what is...

The fact his future bride isn't aristocratic nor catholic hasn't been an issue at all.

The couple has choosen Brussels as the wedding venue as it is so central and easy to reach for all the family and friends.
They met while both worked and lived in Brussels but recently the couple returned to live in The Netherlands again.

Last edited:
My mistake, I thought RTL Boulevard said spring.

Josette

Back
Top Bottom