Divorce for Princess Margarita and Edwin de Roy van Zuijdewijn: August 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duchess Sophie

Courtier
City
On the border...
Country
Belgium
Princess Margraritha and Edwin de Roy van Zuijdewijn are in the procedures to divorce.
This is officialy made public by the lawyer of Margraritha. They made it public because of the case of the stolen handbag today. They wanted to avoid private live-violation (or something in that way)

The Telegraaf already said this morning that among the correspondence in the stolen handbag there was a plea of the princess to her husband to seek professional help.

I will put my message also here:
------------------------------

From BRMB:

Press announcement of Mr G.J. Kemper in name of Princess Margarita de Bourbon

Today it became known that a stolen bag with personal information, among them an agenda, of HRH Princess Margarita de Bourbon that was stolen last week was offered for sale. It should among others go about information about a divorce procedure and about financial information.

To avoid further speculations about her private life I confirm that Princess Margarita indeed takes steps to come to the end of her marriage to Mr E de Roy van Zuydewijn. Next to that her financial situation leads to anxiety. More there is not to say about it, seen the personal aspects. The fact that this information is probably on the street doesn't change that.

Besides Princess Margarita is very attached to declare that she regrets that she has violated the intimate character of her family life in the past period. She has felt aggrieved at it at that time by what she has experienced as an interference in her private life. She is reacted on that disproportional just by violate the privacy of others. With that she especially also unnecessarily injured her family members. Princess Magarita now hopes to get rest to built up a new existence.

How very Sad!

I hope with her family's help, she can re-build her life.

Thanks for the updated into The Watcher.

Here a message from the Benelux Royals Message Board, it explains what happened
-----------------------------------

A couple of kids... (Margarita)
[font=verdana, arial]Posted by joris

[font=verdana, arial]It's an amazing story. Henri warned us for criminal thieves in Amsterdam but the reality is more simple.
How did Margarita's private belongings get 'stolen' in Amsterdam's Rivierenbuurt district?
Children saw that a car had not been locked and saw a bag in that car...
Their parents discovered that the children suddenly had a cellphone which wasn't theirs and a leather portfolio. There had been more in the bag but the children had thrown these things away...
The parents were worried/intrigued about the character of the 'finding' and discovered all the royal details...
and quite clumsily tried to sell them to three gossip magazines (The couple was described as a decent-looking couple but I would have brought the matters to the police.)
The findings consisted of a.o. a diary/notebook of the princess, letters about domestical physical abuse, use of drugs (medicine) and the result of a medical test of the princess.

The woman asked Prive EUR 12,000... Neither of the three gossip magazines took the offer and told the couple they should go to the couple's lawyer... What a story...
(Volkskrant, this morning)

Those stealing kids: It could have been Edwin's own youth...!
----------------------------------------

[/font]

[/font]

Is this the woman who was sueing Queen Beatrix and telling all sorts of tales about the family??

I'm happy he's gone, now she can see her family again.

wymanda said:
Is this the woman who was sueing Queen Beatrix and telling all sorts of tales about the family??
Yup, that is Margaritha Wymanda :p

susanstotz said:
Will she have to set up some sort of trustfund for him? One of his complaints was that he could not find a suitable job because the royal family were boycotting him.

He will find it impossible now, after doing nothing for years a gap in your cv like his makes him unemployable & all the bagage of his past.

I guess he could move to another country -- unless the Dutch royal family's so far reaching that he cannot get a job in another country, too? I know it seems pretty unfair to say that Edwin should move to another country because of this situation, but if he really wanted to work and earn a legitimate living he would do so. I personally think he is out to make some easy money off of Margarita and whatever money she has or her family has.

susanstotz said:
Will she have to set up some sort of trustfund for him? One of his complaints was that he could not find a suitable job because the royal family were boycotting him.
Some articles in Dutch newspapers say that in the stolen bag were also letters about domestical physical abuse. So if that is true, he can forget it...bye job..bye trustfund..bye money...

I must say, the family was very right when they told Margarita that Edwin was not a good man for her :(

The Watcher said:
Some articles in Dutch newspapers say that in the stolen bag were also letters about domestical physical abuse. So if that is true, he can forget it...bye job..bye trustfund..bye money...

I must say, the family was very right when they told Margarita that Edwin was not a good man for her :(

Margarita seemed at the time of her wedding and during the midst of the whole allegations against the rest of her family seemed to be someone h**l bent on vengeance -- and I think a lot of it had to do with Edwin's encouragement and prodding.

From her perspective, as someone head over heels in love, it must've seemed as if it was her and Edwin against the rest of the world -- even if the rest of the world was her own flesh and blood. That she made such accusations (whether true or not I don't know), but that she made such accusations public and in such a manner is a testament of how confused she must've been. I don't want to say that Edwin "brainwashed" her -- as that is a very harsh accusation to make -- but I think that he did create in her some strong belief that no one else (including her own family) had her best intentions at heart except for him, and so she wholeheartedly and willingly went along with everything he said, suggested and wanted.

And of course its all in hindsight. In hindsight its easy to say "I told you so."

It'll be incredibly difficult for her to return to the family fold. And probably especially more difficult to get back in normal terms with her aunt, the Queen. True, family forgives and forgets, but Margarita's whole situation is taking familial bonds to the breaking point. I wonder what her relationship with the royals will be in the future.

How long were they married? It doesn't seem all that long ago that I was reading a post here about their wedding...

They have been married for three years. They got married in 2001. Their civil wedding was on June 19 and the church wedding was on September 22.

This really isn't surprising, although it's very sad for her and her family. I hope she has some supportive friends and family left after all this upheaval.

Civil/Religious

Gabriella said:
They have been married for three years. They got married in 2001. Their civil wedding was on June 19 and the church wedding was on September 22.
Why the big gap in dates. I always thought that where a civil & religious ceremony were required they were within hours of each other, not days! Does this happen often?

Here in the Netherlands?? Yes, especially 30 years ago. Nowadays it doens't happen that often.

wymanda said:
Why the big gap in dates. I always thought that where a civil & religious ceremony were required they were within hours of each other, not days! Does this happen often?

I'm really not quite sure either. I have always wondered about this. It always seemed to me, that usually the ceremony was a few days apart, and then occasionally the ceremonies were back to back. For example, when Constantijn and Laurentien married, their civil ceremony was on May 17 and their religious ceremony was on May 19. When Annette and Bernhard married, their civil ceremony was on July 6, and the religious ceremony was on July 8. When Maurits and Marilene were married, their civil ceremony was on May 29, and the religious ceremony was on May 30. So basically, I always thought it was the other way around and the rules were bent when Maxima and Willem-Alexander were married because their wedding was more high profile? I'm really not totally sure. Maybe someone else knows and could explain for us?

Is there a time limit between the civil and religious ceremonies, or can the religious one take place ten years later if that's what the couple prefer?

Just wondered if a pair of atheists married in a civil ceremony and then converted to Christianity some years later, whether they could have a religious ceremony then.

How very sad. Does anyone see the possibility of her family forgiving her? I hope that they do, this would be so sad. However she did dig her own hole...

From the BRMB posted by Henri M

[font=verdana, arial]Princess Margarita is searching for Edwin.[/font]

[font=verdana, arial]In 'De Volkskrant' we can read that HRH Princess Margarita de Bourbon de Parme has started a search for her spouse, Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn.

In another newspaper 'Trouw', there was an advert by a bailiff about a request for divorce between the Princess and Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn 'without known regular address or residence in- or outside the Netherlands'. In that advert the bailiff requests Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn to contact him before January 21st 2005. According to a spokesperson from the bailiff's office, such an advertisement is legally needed when 'the other party' has no known regular address or residence. Mid August 2004 it became known that Princess Irene's daughter wanted to divorce from Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn. Last year the couple made a lot of troubles and public upheaval because it was of the opinion that the Orange-Nassaus and the De Bourbon de Parmes were obstructing their marriage. The families would have had the opinion that Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn was 'no good part' for the Princess.

[/font]

from the newspaper

MVC-911S_tcm4-101117.jpg

xxLindaxx said:
From the BRMB posted by Henri M

[font=verdana, arial]Princess Margarita is searching for Edwin.[/font]

[font=verdana, arial]In 'De Volkskrant' we can read that HRH Princess Margarita de Bourbon de Parme has started a search for her spouse, Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn.

In another newspaper 'Trouw', there was an advert by a bailiff about a request for divorce between the Princess and Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn 'without known regular address or residence in- or outside the Netherlands'. In that advert the bailiff requests Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn to contact him before January 21st 2005. According to a spokesperson from the bailiff's office, such an advertisement is legally needed when 'the other party' has no known regular address or residence. Mid August 2004 it became known that Princess Irene's daughter wanted to divorce from Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn. Last year the couple made a lot of troubles and public upheaval because it was of the opinion that the Orange-Nassaus and the De Bourbon de Parmes were obstructing their marriage. The families would have had the opinion that Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn was 'no good part' for the Princess.

[/font]

This entire process is very interesting to me, so I have lots of questions!

What happens if Edwin isn't heard from by January 21? Does the divorce go ahead in Margarita's favour (by what I mean favourable conditions for Magarita or all her demands/requests met uncontested)? Or would another notice be sent out?

And if Edwin is out of the country, he likely wouldn't see the ad looking for him. So would Edwin's family or friends who know his whereabouts be required/legally obligated or bound to let him know or inform the baliff of his whereabouts?

I find the whole process fascinating as well. As a matter of fact, I find the events of Margarita's life to be quite intriguing.

Anyway, I don't know if this is the absolute truth or not, but from what I read over at the Benelux board, Edwin does not necessarily have to show up, or be found for the divorce to go through.

I read in an Australian newspaper "The Sunday Times" that she told the prince she wanted a divorce though a notice in the paper, is this true? This is what it said:
Princess divorces through press
From correspondents in The Hague
16oct04

DUTCH princess Margarita de Bourbon, the 32-year old niece of Queen Beatrix, placed an advertisement in a Dutch newspaper today informing her husband that she is filing for divorce.

The advertisement, published in the Dutch Christian daily Trouw by a bailiff, demands that Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn "without known residence in or outside of the Netherlands" respond before January 21 to the divorce filing.

Taking out an advert is a legal obligation in divorce proceedings where one of the parties has no known or fixed address.

The Dutch press had already reported in August that princess Margarita intended to divorce De Roy van Zuydewijn, a businessman with a controversial reputation, whom she married in 2001. Margarita became the black sheep of the Dutch royal family last year when she gave a series of interviews to a Dutch magazine depicting the royal family in an unflattering light.

No that is not true.

According to princess Margarita she could not reach her husband. According to the law it is legal to place an advertisement then. The advertisement contains in short that she is looking for her husband to go further with the divorce proceedings. She is not seeking to divorce via the advertisement!!!

If he doens't respond, the lawyer of margarita and the lawyer of Edwin will get around the table and then they will work the divorce out, without Edwin.

i'm shock...she couldnt track her own husband down? that seems a little to farfetched to be true. it was wrong for her to put something that important in the papper

girly is very pretty but shes got some issues

Margarita publicly requests divorce

15 October 2004

AMSTERDAM — Once bent on suing the Dutch royal family with her "spied on husband", Princess Margarita publicly requested a divorce from Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn on Friday.

A bailiff placed an advertisement on Friday in national newspaper Trouw on behalf of Princess Margarita requesting a divorce from De Roy van Zuydewijn, "of unknown address or residence in or outside of the Netherlands". He was given until 21 January to react to the filing.

Dutch media pounced on the advertisement, claiming that Margarita had lost track of De Roy van Zuydewijn's whereabouts, reporting also that such an advertisement is legally required if the other party has no fixed address or an unknown address.

It had previously been revealed in August that the princess wished to divorce her if(flashinstalled == 2){document.write("");}else{document.write("
");}
vtexpose.asp
vtexpose.asp
husband. It was also known that the royal couple had moved into separate homes in Amsterdam. Margarita was said to be living near the Amstel and De Roy van Zuydewijn in Gerard Doustraat, located in the city's De Pijp district.

And the lawyer for De Roy van Zuydewijn denied talk that Margarita was searching for her husband, claiming she had telephoned him earlier this week. The lawyer also indicated that Margarita knows his postal address.

Princess Margarita and De Roy van Zuydewijn caused a stir at the start of last year when they accused the royal family of spying on them and running a smear campaign damaging De Roy van Zuydewijn's business.

The royal family allegedly considered De Roy van Zuydewijn was an unsuitable husband for Margarita. Subsequent inquiries confirmed that the state security service BVD (now AIVD) had carried out an investigation into De Roy van Zuydewijn on behalf of Queen Beatrix.

In the ensuing publicly-fought battle, the royal couple started civil proceedings against the royal family, announcing they would sue for EUR 30 million. But Margarita and De Roy van Zuydewijn have since separated and the damages claim has lapsed.

The once outcast princess — whose mother, Princess Irene, is the sister of Queen Beatrix — has apologised to her family and is repairing strained relations.

[Copyright Expatica News 2004]

Edwin the Roy de Zuydewijn was telephoned during a talkshow last week. Even the voice of the man gives me the creeps. And the way he talks!! He tried to be chique, but he seems to be very snobbish by his way of saying things. Anyway, according to him he is at Chateau Bartas (the couples french castle) and Mararita knows this. He did not want to comment on why Margarita placed the advert. The (very republican) hosts of the talkshow tried to insinuate later that the royal family is trying to blacken Edwin even more by placing such an add, but I doubt it.
Edwin is a pathetic liar so I wonder what we can believe of his story, maybe he heard about the advertisement and now he tries to save his face by lying yet again. Nobody is buying it btw. He has a troubled mind and during the last year many story of ex-girlfriends (or women he was interested in) appeared in the media. He stalked & intimidated so many ladies!!! Add to that his lies about his education, his stories that he was related to the royal family (before he met Margarita), he falsely claimed to be noble (also before his marriage) and did everything to get in contact with nobles/ royals. He has had several public outbursts of anger, yelling to is wife & even beating with his head against the wall. He is an obssessed man & needs a good psychiatrist. I believe that Margarita calls him 'violent' in her divorcepapers as well (which were stolen from her car a few weeks ago).

um...who exactly is Princess Margaritha...hm i've read of several Margaritha...but i'mnot sure who this one is....

Princess Margaritha is a daughter of Princess Irene of the Netherlands and Prince Carlos Hugo de Bourbon-Parma (Irene and Carlos are divorced). Princess Irene is the sister of Queen Beatrix. Margaritha is member of Royal family, but not a member of Royal House. Her mother, Irene, is not anymore in the line to the trone since her marriage with Carlos Hugo. She had no permission of the parliament for that marriage.

Back
Top Bottom