Death of HRH The Duke of Parma 18 August 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:bourbonparma:
Parma today,the funeral of Prince Carlos Hugo Xavier Marie Sixte Louis Robert Jean Georges Benoit Michel,Prince de Bourbon de Parme:

Paris, april 8th 1930 - Barcelona, august 18th 2010.

PPE Agency

courtesy PPE

Last edited:
The Dutch Royal family were really in force.... nice I think !

Was the President of the Italian Republic there?
Hope there will be photos also of the members of the former reigning families that were there, such as the Archdukes and maybe other Bourbon Parmas, as well as of the ceremony about the new duke and of the reception at Teatro Regio this afternoon.
Maxima looked lovely as well as Margarita and Maria Carolina even if, at least for the closer family, so much time of ceremonies before the funeral must have been quite exhausting.
I'm also worrying how the family manage to have a good relationship with the Spanish Royal Family and keeping the Carlist claim.
Maybe reading the speech will make things more clear.

I agree Amedea,it must have been quite exhausting indeed,over a week of travelling and ceremonies.
Don't worry about the Carlist claims,they do not differ from the claims his father always had even
tho he acknowledged Don Juan Carlos as King of Spain and they've met regularly after during
private family occasions.It is just that due to the Inauguration and the old Carlist claims,Queen Beatrix
could not attend as the dutch government doesn't support any of these old claims,they are just not
oppurtune,not realistic.It's coleur local and Don Juan Carlos knows he doesn't have to worry at all.
It is all harmless,as proof,Prince Jaime's employer,the Dutch Foreign Office,agreed Jaime could play this
role at the inauguration of his brother today by presenting him with the Collare dell Ordine.The Foreign
Office granted him this honour as they see it as a private family affair only.I think that says it all in a nutshell.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Call me ignorant if you like but what exact link did he have with the Dutch Royal family ?
He was the once the husband of Princess Irene of the Netherlands (divorced) thus brother-in-law of Queen Beatrix.

I translated from HJA's Royalblog on todays events.

The new Duke of Parma and Piacenza answerred to the press after the lenghty 2 hour funeral and inauguration and receiving of hundreds of condolences in the church.Exhausting.That and the heat in Parma as it is very sunny and very warm there now,made all present were dipping their head with tissues or waving a fan like Princess Irene.The new Duke gave a speech in fluent Italian in church,ending in loving personal words to his father in Spanish.

With his brother Jaime at his side the new Duke patiently answerred all questions by the press,even the impertinent Italian pressmember (Really No pun intended,but you know that by now!) who insisted he wanted to know the new wedding date:" My readers have a right to know"....really,what do people think...on this funeral day.But no,Duke Carlo Saverio remained calm and answerred all questions without naming a new wedding date.This made the journalist of the Gazette di Parma exclaim;" This is very good,he is very good at it" pointing at the language skills.

Later during the reception in the Teatro Regio it showed how easy the children change languages while in conversation with the many guests,especially Princess Margarita changed from Italian to Spanish to Dutch to French without a problem.Polyglots,all of them,amidst
a very divers gathering of people from every corner of Europe.

The father of Duchess Annemarie thought it a warm and dignified event on what was originally planned to be his daughter's,
the new Duchess,wedding day.The members of the Dutch RF have meanwhile returned in The Netherlands.

The new Duke and Duchess have plans for a new weddingdate but do not disclose that now,
allthough it wil be this year,as was the wish of the late Duca Carlo Ugo.

To Lucien ,
A appreciate the way you managed the late Duke of Parma's celebrations in 3 countries.
I learned a lot during your threads : rememberings of old events, the House of Bourbon -Parme, the Dukes of Parma, the Constantin Order and their members.
I noticed the importance of this Collar of the Golden Flies.
Thanks for you work , for your many answers .
The new Duke and his sibblings are modern Princes , working (Jaime-Foreign Office).
May they once have time to read the Royal Forums, perhaps you will be Knight of one of their Orders.
Kind regards from Maria-Olivia
PS same flowers and ribbons the whole week ?

Amedea, I'm afraid Mr. Napolitano wasn't listed among the guests in today's 'Gazzetta' article, but I'd left my reading glasses behind, so I may be wrong. But I can't recall him being mentioned in the online edition of Piacenza Sera either.
Not the best day to be in Parma today. The temp isn't high, but the humidity is really unbearable...

Amedea, I'm afraid Mr. Napolitano wasn't listed among the guests in today's 'Gazzetta' article, but I'd left my reading glasses behind, so I may be wrong. But I can't recall him being mentioned in the online edition of Piacenza Sera either.
Not the best day to be in Parma today. The temp isn't high, but the humidity is really unbearable...

Tosca, I'm back to my hotel in Parma, very hot today!

Henry of Luxembourg, Willem Alexander & Maxima of The Metherlands, Martin of Austria Este were there. The only Royal people excluding the Duke's family.

On Monday, when I will be back home, I scan and publish the invitation and programme of the funeral.

If you have questions you can of course ask.

By the way, our friend Diofebo was in a perfect shape, as always!

I translated from HJA's Royalblog on todays events.

The new Duke of Parma and Piacenza answerred to the press after the lenghty 2 hour funeral and inauguration and receiving of hundreds of condolences in the church.Exhausting.That and the heat in Parma as it is very sunny and very warm there now,made all present were dipping their head with tissues or waving a fan like Princess Irene.The new Duke gave a speech in fluent Italian in church,ending in loving personal words to his father in Spanish.

With his brother Jaime at his side the new Duke patiently answerred all questions by the press,even the impertinent Italian pressmember (Really No pun intended,but you know that by now!) who insisted he wanted to know the new wedding date:" My readers have a right to know"....really,what do people think...on this funeral day.But no,Duke Carlo Saverio remained calm and answerred all questions without naming a new wedding date.This made the journalist of the Gazette di Parma exclaim;" This is very good,he is very good at it" pointing at the language skills.

Later during the reception in the Teatro Regio it showed how easy the children change languages while in conversation with the many guests,especially Princess Margarita changed from Italian to Spanish to Dutch to French without a problem.Polyglots,all of them,amidst
a very divers gathering of people from every corner of Europe.

The father of Duchess Annemarie thought it a warm and dignified event on what was originally planned to be his daughter's,
the new Duchess,wedding day.The members of the Dutch RF have meanwhile returned in The Netherlands.

The new Duke and Duchess have plans for a new weddingdate but do not disclose that now,
allthough it wil be this year,as was the wish of the late Duca Carlo Ugo.

Arrival of the cortege at the Steccata,video:

http://gpdhome.typepad.com/achtergr...st-met-stoffelijk-overschot-bij-steccata.html

http://gpdhome.typepad.com/royalblo.../lultimo-omaggio-a-il-principe-carlo-ugo.html

courtesy hja

The Inauguration of HRH Duke Carlos Javier of Parma:

PPE Agency

courtesy ppe

Last edited:
Thanks for posting all the information,photo's & video links !

If I Understood well the majority of the Princes of Bourbon-Parme(those who live especially in France) did't attend the funeral of the late Duke and the inauguration of the new Duke.Why?

As promised I herewith attach the invitation to the funeral & the booklet of the Mass.

Hereunder a translation, sorry for eventually mistakes...

Saturday I forgot to write that also Sigismund Grandduke of Tuscany and Monika Habsburg, duchess of Santangelo (daughter of Otto Habsburg) were present, sorry for the misinformation.

INVITATION TO THE CEREMONY

(Ducal coat of arms)

Royal and Ducal House of Borbone Parma

By order of the Royal and Ducal Family

Count Orazio Zanardi Landi di Veano,

President of the Association of the Knights of the Dinastic Orders of the

Royal and Ducal House of Borbone Parma

Has the honour to invite you to the ceremony of the funerals of

His Royal Highness Prince Carlo Ugo di Borbone Parma

Duke of Parma & Piacenza

At Magisterial Constantinian Basilica of the Steccata,

Place Steccata, in Parma (Italy)

On 28th August 2010, at 12.15

Upon your arrival a person in charge will accompany you to your reserved seat.

This is a personal invitation and should be produced to access the Magisterial Constantinian Basilica of the Steccata and for the following reception at the Theater Regio.

Dress code
Guests : Formal dress with black tie (and miniature medals)
Ladies without hat.
Military personnel : full-dress uniform with full size medals and sword

GENERAL INFORMATIONS

The access to the Basilica will be possible from 10.30 to 11.30, after this time you will not be allowed to enter anymore.

Entrance and check point : Main gate

After the ceremony it will be possible to take part at a standing reception at the Theater Regio, Garibaldi street 4, about 20 m distance from the Church of Steccata.

BOOKLET OF THE MASS

(Ducal coat of arms)

Magisterial Basilica

Santa Maria della Steccata

Holy Mass for the funeral rites for the death of

H.R.H. Prince

Carlo Ugo di Borbone Parma

Duke of Parma & Piacenza

Celebration officiated by

H.E. Mgr. Enrico Solmi Bishop of Parma

Grand Prior of the Constantinian

Order of Saint George

Attachments

• Invitation funeral Carlo Ugo.jpg
    Invitation funeral Carlo Ugo.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 455
  • Booklet Mass Carlo Ugo.jpg
    Booklet Mass Carlo Ugo.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 801
To consider an invitation as a trophy,not so tastefull

Dear Lucien,

ti is not a trophy: usually who has invitations, pictures etc posts them, it is only to share the informations with the other members of the site, I think this is also the goal of the royal forums...If people do not like this thing no problem, I will dedicate my time to my job instead of scanning documents. Please note that I am not sorry for what I did.

:previous:
Well i appreciate your efforts Count, its not everyday that one gets to see an invitation to a event, wether it is sad occasion, such as a funeral or a happy occasion such as a wedding or some other occasion . thanks for sharing !.
I dont find it in bad taste at all....:flowers:

:previous:
Well i appreciate your efforts Count, its not everyday that one gets to see an invitation to a event, wether it is sad occasion, such as a funeral or a happy occasion such as a wedding or some other occasion . thanks for sharing !.
I dont find it in bad taste at all....:flowers:

Thanks for your support jonnydep, it is not my fault if, for pure family reasons, I take part to such events.

If I recieved an invite whether happy or sad from a royal, I would keep it under lock and key, I would be so proud to have it.
And I thank you Count for sharing the invite for us all to see.

If I recieved an invite whether happy or sad from a royal, I would keep it under lock and key, I would be so proud to have it.
And I thank you Count for sharing the invite for us all to see.

Thank you lumutqueen.

Lucien, your comment is uncalled for, rude, and does you no favours.

We should be grateful to all members who choose to share with us, just as you have done many times in this thread.

Thank you Count. :flowers:

I never brag,Warren,that is the difference.That is distastfull,and rude,in my book and I vent that.That's all.

But,as HRH The Duke of Parma is now interred,I think it better to close this specific
funeral thread with respect to the memory of the late Duke,and post all further
comments on the late Duke's own thread,shall we?

Last edited:
Lucien, your comment is uncalled for, rude, and does you no favours.

We should be grateful to all members who choose to share with us, just as you have done many times in this thread.

Thank you Count. :flowers:

Thank you Warren, have a good night in Australia!

To Lucien ,
You informed us on a very interesting way during the 3 celebrations in Spain, The Netherlands and finaly in Parma .
HRH the late Duke of Parma deserved it and you may be proud about the behaviour of your Royal Family.
Thank you
Maria-Olivia

So sad to hear to about the death of the Duke I want to seny my symapthy to his family and friends. May he rest in peace.

Thank you Count for sharing your experiences and the invites. Your work is appreciated. In a large forum there always some who may disagree, but keep doing what you like and would like to share.:flowers:

More details about the event here Messe en mémoire du duc de Parme aux Invalides | Noblesse & Royautés
Among the presents: Carlos Xavier and Annemarie, Jaime, Margarita and husband, Marie-Therese, Cecile, Marie-des-Neiges, Francoise , Michel with Maria Pia, Charles-Emmanuel of Bourbon-Parma.
Isn't the place choice strange? Les Invalides were built by the Bourbons, I know, but they still are the Mausoleum of the Bonaparte family..

Last edited:
Saint Denis would have been a better choice?

Back
Top Bottom