Death and Funeral of Infante Carlos, Duke of Calabria - 5 Oct. 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was effectively an intimate and royal ceremony, not at all a State Ceremony. The only state authority attending was the Minister of Justice and this for his formal role as guardian of the royal burial site in El Escorial. So complaints that Infanta Doña Cristina 'profiled' herself during a formal state event are unjustified. She did attend a last farewell to her grandmother's brother, her father's best and lifelong friend and a fellow Infante de España.

The Minister of Justice is the Notario Mayor del Reino, he has to be present for every burial/exhumation in El Escorial, there is a series of legal papers (which he has to sign) that concern these ceremonies and that's why he was there.

(Yes, there have been exhumations there, José Antonio Primo de Rivera for example)

I don't see Cristina's presence as anything but saying farewell to a close family member, the father of one of her closest cousins (Cristina DBDS), not much was really said about this even in Spanish media, I thought it would set up a storm but people kind of understood what was going on.

I think Spaniards have seen to much to care about Infanta Doña Cristina. Even Artur Mas, the separatist regional President of Catalonia and Lionel Messi, the star of FC Barcelona are involved in fraud scandals. Probably Spaniards will shrug the shoulders and yawn: "Anything new under the sun?"

Why should she be banned until January 2016 ?

The lawsuit concerning the financial malversations start in January 2016 I believe. It is nonsense anyway, she is a free person and even in Spain the adagium is that every person is not guilty until Lady Justitia has spoken.

It was effectively an intimate and royal ceremony, not at all a State Ceremony. The only state authority attending was the Minister of Justice and this for his formal role as guardian of the royal burial site in El Escorial. So complaints that Infanta Doña Cristina 'profiled' herself during a formal state event are unjustified. She did attend a last farewell to her grandmother's brother, her father's best and lifelong friend and a fellow Infante de España.

I understand, and agree, I was just answering al_bina's question which was asking what was controversial about Cristina's attendance.

Last edited:
I also noticed the Archduchess Anna-Gabrielle among the people present. Could the blonde lady with glasses next to the infanta Pilar in church be the hereditary princess of Liechtenstein? Next to her is the Margravine Valerie of Baden. Behind the infantas Elena and Pilar seems to be Princess Alexia of Greece and her husband. I also spotted the duke of Anjou and Count Louis of Limburg-Stirum and his wife Belem.

Hopefully there will be more pictures of the guests soon.

Last edited:
Yes, one of the ladies indeed could be Hereditary Princess Sophie of Liechtenstein.
Also I spotted in one pictures Nikolaus and Margaretha of Liechtenstein.

Why the Event yesteday called funeral? Wasn't that already on 06. October?

It was an Anniversary/Memorial Mass as his funeral was indeed back in October.

Apparently also the Countess of Evreux, her son Prince Charles Philippe d'Orleans and his wife the Duchess of Cadaval were in attendance.

The Spanish Nobility but no
Isabelle, Diane, Claude and Chantal of Orléans
no Henri, Jacques and Michel of Orléans.
7 missing !

The Spanish Nobility but no
Isabelle, Diane, Claude and Chantal of Orléans
no Henri, Jacques and Michel of Orléans.
7 missing !

At last there are no pics of them. It's a pity that the Mass was so late and the guests arrived when it was already dark outside.

Last edited:
It struck in my mind that the current Duke of Calabria holds a close and direct bloodline to three Bourbon branches:
- Deux-Siciles (his father)
- Orléans (his mother)
- Parma (his paternal grandmother)

That makes him equally as Bourbon as King Juan Carlos whom has three direct close Bourbon lines as well:
- Anjou (his father)
- Deux-Siciles (his mother)
- Orléans (his maternal grandmother)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom