Death and Funeral of HRH The Infanta Alicia of Spain - 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To me they all looked nervous more than anything. Felipe could have looked a little less solemn. Letizia, IMO, always looks like a deer in the headlights at more formal occasions and this one was no exception. It also looks like she wasn't sure what to do in terms of neither crossing herself when Felipe did nor bowing to the altar. Hopefully with time she'll become more comfortable in these sorts of situations because this is her life from now on.

More time...she's had 13 years of experience one would hope by now that Letizia knows how to behave in public by now,it appeared by her cold clinical body language that she did not want to be there but had to out of duty,hence the sour puss on her face.

I guess someone must have already explained that, but why was Alicia entitled "infanta de España" although she was neither the daughter of a Spanish monarch nor the daughter of an heir to the Spanish crown ?

I am old Fashion but a Mantilla should be great !
Are they banned since Letizia is Queen?

I guess someone must have already explained that, but why was Alicia entitled "infanta de España" although she was neither the daughter of a Spanish monarch nor the daughter of an heir to the Spanish crown ?

because she was the wife of spanish infante , Infante Alfonso of Spain, Prince of the Two Sicilies, Duke of Calabria .

She was the wife of an Infante de España. The rules have changed, now Infante / Infanta is a title ad personam. Doña Alicia felt under the situation before the change. The new rule (in the 1980's) had no retro-active effect on existing situations, so she remained Infanta Doña Alicia.

Last edited:
I am old Fashion but a Mantilla should be great !
Are they banned since Letizia is Queen?

It wasn't really a funeral Madame but more of a memorial Mass for King Felipes late great aunt. Letizia doesn't really really do tradition ,she's far too trendy for mantillas ;)

Her husband was actually the heir to the spanish crown for a few year. He became the Heir after the death of his mother Maria de las Meredes, Princess of Asturias in 1904 and remained so until the birth of Alfonso, Prince of Asturias in 1907.

Infanta Alicia would have attended all the major Spanish Royal events over the years,one of her last appearances was at the Proclamation Ceremony for King Felipe VI in 2014.

Seated behind Infanta Pilar

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff400/carb1/dinastias/59717_insfantas-elena-sofia-leonor-pilar-margarita-firma-ley-abdicacion-rey-juan-carlos_zpsd8d1784b.jpg

Wedding of Felipe and Letizia in 2004

https://casarealespanola.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/alicia-de-borbon-parma2-e1490707614660.jpg?w=640

Spanish Royal Family meet Pope John Paul II in 2003

http://www.diariovasco.com/RC/201703/28/media/alicia-borbon.jpg

There was nothing wrong at all. The King and Doña Letizia have already greeted the Infantas before the Funeral Mass, while they were greeting the Bourbon-Deux Siciles awaiting for them outside the chapel.

There was a lavish ceremony outside at the courtyard, with great military ceremonial, witnessed by the royals. Don Juan Carlos and Doña Sofía arrived when the congregation was already inside and have not seen the Infantas. That is why greeted them. Too many conclusions are drawn from this fragment.

The greeting beforehand has nothing to do with refusing to show respect to the new King by head bow in public, while showing the same respect to the old King.

given the delicate situation and the press reporting of the bad familiar relationships, wouldn't it have been wise to still curtsy inside (where cameras were present), regardless of whether they curtsied outside? it would certainly not have hurt, and would have helped to improve the already ill image of cristina and instill it with some more 'benefit of the doubt'.

and also... since elena and cristina hadn't seen JC and sofia, wouldn't a curtsy be due, rather than the kisses they exchanged?

all i know is that, in the pictures, letizia's body language says it all.

It wasn't really a funeral Madame but more of a memorial Mass for King Felipes late great aunt. Letizia doesn't really really do tradition ,she's far too trendy for mantillas ;)

she used to initially, when she first became princess of asturias. i guess now, being queen, she feels like she knows better and no one would complain to the queen as to whether she uses a mantilla or not.

shame, because i think they look very elegant.

Last edited:
Nobody wears a mantilla for a funeral nowadays. Spain is not a Goya painting. Neither is the same country than during the 80-90s. Letizia would look rather out of place with one to say the least.

There was nothing wrong at all. The King and Doña Letizia have already greeted the Infantas before the Funeral Mass, while they were greeting the Bourbon-Deux Siciles awaiting for them outside the chapel.

There was a lavish ceremony outside at the courtyard, with great military ceremonial, witnessed by the royals. Don Juan Carlos and Doña Sofía arrived when the congregation was already inside and have not seen the Infantas. That is why greeted them. Too many conclusions are drawn from this fragment.

Thank you so much for clarifying what happened before the Funeral Mass.

Yes if Felipe and Letizia met the others outside, there is no rudeness here. Well in the looks yes, but not lack of bows. As we see with Elizabeth, they are only expected to bow the first time they see the Monarchs that day.

As for mantilla, I don't see how it is lack of respect for tradition. As I see, no other women are wearing one. And it doesn't seem to be the trend anymore. I highly doubt Sofia didn't wear one simply as Letizia didn't.

More time...she's had 13 years of experience one would hope by now that Letizia knows how to behave in public by now,it appeared by her cold clinical body language that she did not want to be there but had to out of duty,hence the sour puss on her face.

I was thinking more that she's been Queen Consort for a relatively short period of time, but you're right, of course, she's been a senior royal for a long time now.

It is also not clear to me if curtsies are required to a former King and Queen. And the word "required" is not even correct because révérences are and remain optional. For Los Reyes a handshake is equally perfect. Especially curtsying to Doña Letizia feels awkward. She is as "royal" as every Spaniard around the corner. It is not for nothing that many monarchies have abandoned the whole practice.

I think I saw the Duke of Alba present in the Capilla Real he was seated behind the Duke of Soria(husband of Infanta Margarita).

Duc are there any photos or video footage of the outside ceremony?

From that eye witness reporter it seems the cream of the Spanish nobility were present at the Memorial Mass?

That was a nice overview indeed, but I see no mention of an earlier greeting in the linked post or image galleries.

I suppose that with ' prince Charles of Bourbon-Parma, prince Charles-Emmanuel? The 3rd ' king of Spain' does not seem to be present to honour this princess of his house.

Last edited:
She was the wife of an Infante de España. The rules have changed, now Infante / Infanta is a title ad personam. Doña Alicia felt under the situation before the change. The new rule (in the 1980's) had no retro-active effect on existing situations, so she remained Infanta Doña Alicia.

The decree of 1987 may not have been retroactive, but it affected existing situations inasmuch as it stripped particular individuals (e.g. Gonzalo de Borbón y Dampierre) of the Spanish form of address of Alteza Real (article 3, 3c).

Article 3
1. The Kings sons and daughters not possessing the Dignity of Prince or Princess of the Asturias, as well as the children of the latter Prince or Princess, shall be Infantes or Infantas of Spain, respectively, and shall be addressed as Your Royal Highness. Their spouses, whilst they continue being so or stay a widower or widow, shall be entitled to the form of address and honours The King, as a gracious decision, may grant them, pursuant to the powers vested upon Him by paragraph f) of Article 62 of the Constitution.

2. Likewise, The King may grant the dignity of Infante or Infanta and the form of address of Your Royal Highness to those persons he shall deem fit of such a grace given the exceptional circumstances that concur.

3. Except as provided in the present Article and the preceding one hereof, and save as provided in Article 5 hereof for members of the Regency, no person whatsoever may:

a. Use the title of Prince or Princess of the Asturias or employ any other title whatsoever traditionally attached to the Successor to the Crown of Spain;
b. Titularse Infante de España.
c. Receive the forms of address and honours pertaining to the Dignities mentioned in paragraphs a) and b) above.

[...]

Third

Those members of the family of His Majesty The King, Juan Carlos I of Bourbon, who currently have been recognised the use of a peerage pertaining to the Royal Family and to the form of address of Your Royal Highness may conserve them for life, but neither their spouses nor their children shall be so entitled.
However, I think Infanta Alicia's title was a title of courtesy. Her marriage transpired when Spain was a republic in which noble titles were disallowed, and I have been unable to locate any decree legalizing the title.

I'm sorry this is off topic but I've always wondered where the title of Infanta/Infante came from and why it's specific to Spain. It seems that it's approximately the same rank as Prince or Princess, or even higher in some cases, given how closely related an Infante or Infanta needs to be to the Spanish monarch. Any insight would be appreciated.

I'm sorry this is off topic but I've always wondered where the title of Infanta/Infante came from and why it's specific to Spain. It seems that it's approximately the same rank as Prince or Princess, or even higher in some cases, given how closely related an Infante or Infanta needs to be to the Spanish monarch. Any insight would be appreciated.

The title traditionally was used by Iberian kingdoms, which includes Portugal.

It literally translates to child. The title was used to refer to the children, but in the past also spouses and male line grandchildren of the king.

France was the same. Sons and daughters of the king were fils and filles de France. It was also used to refer to the children of the dauphin. It literally translates to children.

It's the equivelant of prince or princess. It just references the relation to the monarch.

Anne d' Orleans , widow of Don Carlos was never Infanta and I suppose will never have official Funerals.

oh my... cristina in attendance to the funeral - and this picture says it all. look at the faces of felipe and letizia, and how elena and cristina watch them from the side of their eyes... you could cut the air with a knife.

I thought the same. I can almost feel the tension myself. I'm quite surprised that Cristina attended though, I didn't expect her to be there since she didn't attend the Easter service and seems to have understandably become more private since the NOOS case.

It was nice to see lots of Infanta Alicia's family at the funeral. May she rest in peace.

A funeral, even an official one, is a bit different then official Easter services. Alicia was family, an aunt to Cristina as much as her siblings. I'd be more surprised if she hadn't attended.

The children of Iberian kings have been designated as Infanta/Infante from the turn of the second millennium, well in advance of the courtesy title of Prince/ss being given to the children of other monarchs in western Europe. However, I do not know why the other monarchies did not emulate Spain eventually.

Here is a little more on the history and use of the title with the passing of ,Infanta Alicia she was the last Spanish Infanta by marriage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infante

In addition, some distant relatives of Spanish sovereigns, usually children of infantes by grace, were accorded the "honours and treatment" of infante or infanta, but were not granted the title itself,[1][2] Included in this category were the children [...] of Infante Fernando de Bavaria y Borbón's marriage with Infanta Maria Teresa of Spain [...]
The children of Infanta María Teresa de Borbón (who was sister to King Alfonso XIII) and her husband Infante Fernando de Baviera were accorded the title of Infante by Royal Decree.

Infantes de España

Last edited:
The decree of 1987 may not have been retroactive, but it affected existing situations inasmuch as it stripped particular individuals (e.g. Gonzalo de Borbón y Dampierre) of the Spanish form of address of Alteza Real (article 3, 3c).

However, I think Infanta Alicia's title was a title of courtesy. Her marriage transpired when Spain was a republic in which noble titles were disallowed, and I have been unable to locate any decree legalizing the title.

Alicia was an Infanta by marriage and thats the tittle that was given by the royal house more tan duchess of Calabria. Her official title in Spain was Infanta of Spain. Her courtesy titles were the italian ones. In the decree specifies that; those members of the family of His Majesty The King, Juan Carlos I of Bourbon, who CURRENTLY have been recognised the use of a peerage pertaining to the Royal Family and to the form of address of Your Royal Highness may CONSERVE THEM FOR LIFE, but neither their spouses nor their children shall be so entitled.

At the time off the decree she had recognised the title of Infanta and the Style of Royal Highness by Alfonso XIII, so she had the permission of the King JC to conserve It for life.

It doenst matter that the title was recognised by a King in exile, for the Royal House the tittles were as valid as if were given from a reining one. The sisters and descendats of Juan Carlos were given the title of Infante/a in exile, as Alicia. Juan Carlos legalized the title in this decree. The decree was made for legalized the titles of his family members given by his father and grandfather during the exile.

So she remains been an Infanta ad personam. She also had the official title of Princess of Borbón given by Alfonso XIII to her father and all his descendats in the 1920's.

Gonzalo de Borbón was never a Royal Highness in Spain, his brother was granted this Style and the dukedom of Cádiz by Francisco Franco. When Gonzalo and Alfonso were born their grandfather never gave them any title apart from "Grandes de España". The title that is given to the sons of an Infante.

At the time off the decree she had recognised the title of Infanta and the Style of Royal Highness by Alfonso XIII, so she had the permission of the King JC to conserve It for life.

It doenst matter that the title was recognised by a King in exile, for the Royal House the tittles were as valid as if were given from a reining one. The sisters and descendats of Juan Carlos were given the title of Infante/a in exile, as Alicia. Juan Carlos legalized the title in this decree. The decree was made for legalized the titles of his family members given by his father and grandfather during the exile.

So she remains been an Infanta ad personam.

Thank you very much for explaining the decree and the legalization of the Infanta's title.

She also had the official title of Princess of Borbón given by Alfonso XIII to her father and all his descendats in the 1920's.
Was the official title of Prince Elias hereditary? The royal decree is here:
http://boe.es/datos/pdfs/BOE//1920/234/A00704-00704.pdf
Vengo en reconocer la nacionalidad española a D. Elías Roberto Carlos de Borbón de Parma, con la facultad de user en estos Reinos el título de Príncipe de Borbón, con el tratamiento de Alteza Real.

When Gonzalo and Alfonso were born their grandfather never gave them any title apart from "Grandes de España". The title that is given to the sons of an Infante.
You are correct, and my post was poorly worded, as the royal family never recognized Gonzalo as a Royal Highness and Franco indeed never created him a Royal Highness in a decree. However, I have read that he was accorded the style of Royal Highness in his Spanish passport until 1987.

Back
Top Bottom