Death and Funeral of HRH The Infanta Alicia of Spain - 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It must have been a great comfort to her family to see some many members of the Spanish Royal Family present ,Infanta Alicia would have attended quite a lot of events on the Spanish Royal scene over the years.

Did she attend the Funerals of her Son Infante Carlos ?

"Next Thursday, May 11, in the chapel of the Royal Palace will take place the funeral by the Infanta Alicia, which was aunt of the King Juan Carlos

On Thursday, May 11, the funeral of the Infanta Alicia, the last living aunt of King Juan Carlos and grandmother of the current Duke of Calabria, Pedro de Borbón, who died in Madrid at the age of 99, will take place in the chapel of the Royal Palace.

At first it was shuffled that the funeral of Dona Alicia was celebrated in El Escorial, but since it will not be buried in the pantheon of Infantes, but in the pantheon of the Borbón-Parma in Austria, its native country, has opted for a More discreet ceremony in the chapel of the Royal palace.

A scenario that also allows for greater privacy, as it is expected that most members of the Royal Family will attend and thus avoiding coincidences that may trigger media controversy. And is that Calabria were raised next to Prince Felipe and Infantas Elena and Cristina, also their firstborn, Cristina de Borbón-Dos Sicilias, is a nail and flesh of the Infanta Cristina, at the same time very close to the Kings, Husband Pedro Lopez Quesada is intimate with Don Felipe.

The rupture between the monarch and his sister in the aftermath of the Nóos scandal has made this family in a difficult situation. In fact, the scene of the controversial Easter of the Infanta Cristina and Iñaki Urdangarin has been the La Toledana estate, in Ciudad Real, owned by the Duke of Calabria, who along with his older sister, Cristina de Borbón-Dos Sicilias have exercised Hosts. Something that has caused some astonishment, since they are very close also to Don Felipe and to Doña Letizia. The Urdangarin Borbón family has stayed in La Toledana has to do with the death of their grandmother, since the former dukes of Palma, given the sudden death, could not move to Spain from Geneva, but they wanted to personally express their condolences To his family."

El funeral que podría reunir a los Reyes con la Infanta y Urdangarin | loc | EL MUNDO

Goodness has it been a month already,I'd expect a large turn out from the extended Spanish Royal Family for the 1st Month anniversary Mass at the Royal Chapel.

"Next Thursday, May 11, in the chapel of the Royal Palace will take place the funeral by the Infanta Alicia, which was aunt of the King Juan Carlos

On Thursday, May 11, the funeral of the Infanta Alicia, the last living aunt of King Juan Carlos and grandmother of the current Duke of Calabria, Pedro de Borbón, who died in Madrid at the age of 99, will take place in the chapel of the Royal Palace.

At first it was shuffled that the funeral of Dona Alicia was celebrated in El Escorial, but since it will not be buried in the pantheon of Infantes, but in the pantheon of the Borbón-Parma in Austria, its native country, has opted for a More discreet ceremony in the chapel of the Royal palace.

A scenario that also allows for greater privacy, as it is expected that most members of the Royal Family will attend and thus avoiding coincidences that may trigger media controversy. And is that Calabria were raised next to Prince Felipe and Infantas Elena and Cristina, also their firstborn, Cristina de Borbón-Dos Sicilias, is a nail and flesh of the Infanta Cristina, at the same time very close to the Kings, Husband Pedro Lopez Quesada is intimate with Don Felipe.

The rupture between the monarch and his sister in the aftermath of the Nóos scandal has made this family in a difficult situation. In fact, the scene of the controversial Easter of the Infanta Cristina and Iñaki Urdangarin has been the La Toledana estate, in Ciudad Real, owned by the Duke of Calabria, who along with his older sister, Cristina de Borbón-Dos Sicilias have exercised Hosts. Something that has caused some astonishment, since they are very close also to Don Felipe and to Doña Letizia. The Urdangarin Borbón family has stayed in La Toledana has to do with the death of their grandmother, since the former dukes of Palma, given the sudden death, could not move to Spain from Geneva, but they wanted to personally express their condolences To his family."

El funeral que podría reunir a los Reyes con la Infanta y Urdangarin | loc | EL MUNDO

thanks for sharing this!
OMG, if they already start walking on egg shells with Cristina and Inaki regarding this in comparison rather unimportant funeral, I wonder what they will do when Juan Carlos or Sofia pass away, because Cristina & Inaki will be sitting in the front row at every single event related to these funerals.

:previous: Well, hopefully JC and Sofia will live much longer and by the time things will have settled down with Iñaki and Cristina, in one way or another.

Now the scandal is very recent and the case has yet to be completely resolved at court.

Yes indeed Annie,I don't think we'll see Cristina at Infanta Alicia's Memorial Mass in Madrid ,she was with the family over Easter in Spain and proably paid her respects then.

I don't think E and C are looking at the Royal Couple. Oh, well.
Is that King Simeon's daughter?

Great Attendence for an Infanta. Two Kings and Two Queens.

First Row Left 4 Infantas, one divorced, one alone because her husband is banned and their 2 Aunts having alas their Mother genes .
First Row right Her Grandson at the first place .

Last edited:
oh my... cristina in attendance to the funeral - and this picture says it all. look at the faces of felipe and letizia, and how elena and cristina watch them from the side of their eyes... you could cut the air with a knife.

the video tells the whole story ...
Vídeos: La Infanta Cristina en el Palacio Real tras cuatro años de ausencia

JC & Sofia entering, lots of people curtsying, bowing their heads. They interrupt protocol to greet their daughters Elena & Cristina and rest of family
Then F&L entering the Chapel, first part of the visitors bowing/curtsying but second part of the visitors where Elena and Cristina are seated NOBODY bowing/curtsying, all with faces of thunder.

And of course Letizia nurturing her 'agnostic' image/disrespect for institutions, only indicating a very small bow of the head at the very last second in front of the altar, very different to her parents in law and husband.

IMO Cristina had every right to be there, at a family funeral, but this is no family but a toxic relation of people.

Thanks for sharing this video, Duke of Marmalade!
You could cut the air with a knife indeed. Its a funeral and everyone looks more serious and more subdued but I don't remember seeing so stony-faced Letizia before...

The atmosphere seems rather tense indeed. No curtseys for the king and queen from the right side, where the king's most direct family was seated. The Borbon Two Sicilies family did follow protocol. The king and queen's presence at the funeral of Infante Carlos was highly appreciated, as I sure it is now.

Last edited:
I don't see Letizia being disrespectful in her bow of her head. If anyone nearly forgot it was Sofia. She did it as an after thought, distracted by her daughters.

But the tension definitely was thick. The look on the infantas was quite icy. Surprised no bows or at least nods to the younger king and queen on that side.

the video tells the whole story ...
Vídeos: La Infanta Cristina en el Palacio Real tras cuatro años de ausencia

JC & Sofia entering, lots of people curtsying, bowing their heads. They interrupt protocol to greet their daughters Elena & Cristina and rest of family
Then F&L entering the Chapel, first part of the visitors bowing/curtsying but second part of the visitors where Elena and Cristina are seated NOBODY bowing/curtsying, all with faces of thunder.

And of course Letizia nurturing her 'agnostic' image/disrespect for institutions, only indicating a very small bow of the head at the very last second in front of the altar, very different to her parents in law and husband.

IMO Cristina had every right to be there, at a family funeral, but this is no family but a toxic relation of people.
Thanks for the details!
It is nice to know that King Juan Carlos and Queen Sophia command respect. There is nothing wrong with Infanta Christina attending the funeral mass.

DM has more pictures although the article has been put together with the Swedish funeral
Two European Royal Houses united in grief: Swedish royals pay their respects to the king's brother-in-law as the Spanish monarchy send off the late Duchess of Calabria

Swedish and Spanish royals attend funerals | Daily Mail Online

They have Princess Margaretha as Princess Margharetha ogf Liechtenstein and in the profile of the Duchess of Calabria they used one of her daughter-in-law Anne.

thanks for the video. it indeed confirms our suspicions based on the photos.

elena and cristina not curtsying to felipe and letizia is a major fail in my opinion. you are at a public event and you were raised an infanta of spain. they should know better. they are almost acting like cinderella's wicked sisters - obnoxious and irrespectful for an institution which made them who they are, despite the embarrasing behaviours of some two who shall not be named.

strange that pilar didn't curtsy either. it is almost as if they had made a pact :) pilar herself was also named in the panama papers so i guess she has fallen out of favour of felipe and letizia herself. given her age, i think we will let her off this time and give her the benefit of the doubt.

weird that juan carlos only kissed cristina and not elena, it looked to me as almost a wish to make things 'look normal'. sofia greeted both daughters.

The atmosphere seems rather tense indeed. No curtseys for the king and queen from the right side, where the king's most direct family was seated. The Borbon Two Sicilies family did follow protocol. The king and queen's presence at the funeral of Infante Carlos was highly appreciated, as I sure it is now.

What a frosty reception from the Infantas and Letizia's hard face and cold body language said it all,I really wish the SRF would be more unified looking in public.

It was meant to be a Memorial Mass for an aunt/great aunt and no wonder Infanta Alicia wanted to be buried in Austria away from them all.

thanks for the video. it indeed confirms our suspicions based on the photos.

elena and cristina not curtsying to felipe and letizia is a major fail in my opinion. you are at a public event and you were raised an infanta of spain. they should know better. they are almost acting like cinderella's wicked sisters - obnoxious and irrespectful for an institution which made them who they are, despite the embarrasing behaviours of some two who shall not be named.

strange that pilar didn't curtsy either. it is almost as if they had made a pact :) pilar herself was also named in the panama papers so i guess she has fallen out of favour of felipe and letizia herself. given her age, i think we will let her off this time and give her the benefit of the doubt.

weird that juan carlos only kissed cristina and not elena, it looked to me as almost a wish to make things 'look normal'. sofia greeted both daughters.

I agreed the Infantas should have curtsy to their brother the King.

I almost seemed that there were two parties at the funeral, left hand side with lots nods/curtsies for both Kings Emeritus & F&L, the right hand side with the Infantas, Pilar etc lots of head nods/curtsies for the Kings Emeritus (including the Infanta Elena before it was cut off), not a single head nod/curtsy when F&L walked by.

If still answers were needed on what side individual family members were standing regarding Cristina, this video has given them.

Makes me think if they truly get along so well as they usually show off in public when Cristina is not around, especially Sofia & Letizia, who always put on a big display of affection for the cameras when they attend events together ... with Sofia taking such an active part of humiliation/insult towards F&L I wonder if the rest is about being best actress in public.

There was nothing wrong at all. The King and Doña Letizia have already greeted the Infantas before the Funeral Mass, while they were greeting the Bourbon-Deux Siciles awaiting for them outside the chapel.

There was a lavish ceremony outside at the courtyard, with great military ceremonial, witnessed by the royals. Don Juan Carlos and Doña Sofía arrived when the congregation was already inside and have not seen the Infantas. That is why greeted them. Too many conclusions are drawn from this fragment.

Last edited:
There was nothing wrong at all. The King and Doña Letizia have already greeted the Infantas before the Funeral Mass, while they were greeting the Bourbon-Deux Siciles awaiting for them outside the chapel.

Don Juan Carlos and Doña Sofía arrived when the congregation was inside and have not seen the Infantas. That is why greeted them. Too many conclusions are drawn from this fragment.

The greeting beforehand has nothing to do with refusing to show respect to the new King by head bow in public, while showing the same respect to the old King.

To me they all looked nervous more than anything. Felipe could have looked a little less solemn. Letizia, IMO, always looks like a deer in the headlights at more formal occasions and this one was no exception. It also looks like she wasn't sure what to do in terms of neither crossing herself when Felipe did nor bowing to the altar. Hopefully with time she'll become more comfortable in these sorts of situations because this is her life from now on.

I didn't see anything wrong with the family dynamics, however. Duc has explained why the King's family didn't curtsey. There are pictures of the Infantas smiling with their aunt Pilar. The video shows JC and Sofia being genuinely very affectionate towards their daughters, putting paid to the idea that Cristina has no relationship with her father.

And at the end of the video you can see that Felipe slightly turns his head towards his sisters and presumably gives them some sort of greeting because Cristina then smiles back at him.

Back
Top Bottom