Tsar's Murder: Court Cases

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacqueline

Courtier
Putin may call royal family in from the cold
By Nick Paton Walsh in Moscow
December 21 2002

Russia may reclaim its tsarist history next year by declaring null and void the crimes for which its last monarch, Tsar Nicholas II, was executed in 1917 at the height of the Bolshevik revolution.
Link: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/12/20/...0174392674.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Great article, Jacqueline. I think that the royal Russian "struggle" is a continually fascinating one. A great book that I recently finished called: "The Lost Fortune of the Tsars" was well written and worth looking at. The book follows the fall of the Romanovs (some not too pleasant things were done by Nicholas' cousins...King George and Kaiser Wilhem) and the disappearce of the family jewels. Also follows the plight of Anna Andersen (Anastasia) and several other pretenders to the throne.

Thanks for the great snippet, Jacqueline!

Julia

Thanks Julia! Here is another that I have found on this subject.

Russia prepares to restore Romanovs

Presidential commission says it has evidence which will absolve Nicholas II of crimes and rehabilitate the last tsarist family

Nick Paton Walsh in Moscow
Friday December 20, 2002
The Guardian

Russia may reclaim its tsarist history next year by declaring null and void the crimes for which its last monarch, Tsar Nicholas II, was executed in 1917 at the height of the Bolshevik revolution.
In keeping with the Kremlin's heartfelt nostalgia for the former monarchy, a presidential commission will in January ask Vladimir Putin to grant the request of one of Nicholas II's last surviving relatives, to rehabilitate the Romanovs.

Grand Duchess Leonida Romanova, wife of Grand Duke Vladimir, the son of the last tsar's cousin, has appealed to the presidential commission on the rehabilitation of victims of political repression to declare null and void the "crimes" for which the tsarist monarchy was convicted and executed by a Soviet committee 85 years ago.

The commission announced late on Wednesday that it was considering the request.

A source at the commission told the Guardian: "About three months ago we got a letter from Grand Duchess Leonida. I think that the documents we got recently from different archives - including the president's archive, that of the Russian Federation, would permit us to prove that the tsar's family perished as a victim of the Bolshevik leadership in Moscow and that they can be a subject for rehabilitation."

The commission will recommend to its founder, President Putin, that the tsar's family is rehabilitated after their investigations finish in January, the source said.

The move will represent a significant final step in Russia's journey to embrace its tsarist history.

President Putin models himself on Peter the Great, whose reign is reminiscent of a Russian imperial greatness which the Kremlin is keen to promote.

Many analysts believe that rehabilitation will sully the name, history and electability of the present Communist party.

In 1917 Tsar Nicholas II's family was sent into exile to Yekaterinburg in the Ural mountains. The town was under assault by the White Army, whose aim was to restore the monarchy.

The local Bolshevik-dominated committee, the Urals Soviet, realising that it could neither evacuate the family nor allow the White Army to free them, held a kangaroo court at which the remnants of the monarchy were sentenced to death for numerous "crimes".

If the family is to be rehabilitated as victims of political crimes under Russian law, their convictions and sentences must be found to have been ordered by Bolshevik authorities in Moscow.

A commission source said: "There is a problem here. The execution was ordered by the Urals Soviet.

"But the logic of the events brings us to conclude that Lenin and those with him were doing everything to annihilate the tsar's family.

"Despite publicly calling for a trial as a necessity, they were opposed to one as this would invite foreigners and publicity."

He added that documents would back up this claim, and that the commission would present a draft of a resolution offering rehabilitation in "two to three weeks time".

But the Russian state archive said yesterday there was little evidence to support this claim.

At the time of the execution, one source said, two telegrams were sent to Moscow: one was open and declared that the tsar had been executed; the second was in code and said that his family had met the same fate.

"It is common knowledge that the Urals Soviet was composed of very radical, but not very bright Bolsheviks," the source said, adding that Bolshevik witnesses said Lenin was furious when he was told of the execution.

Many analysts believe that the rehabilitation would be a gesture motivated by populism rather than historical accuracy.

"The moral element of the rehabilitation of the tsarist family began with the burial of their remains five years ago in the imperial mausoleum in St Petersburg," the source at the commission said.

"The canonisation by the Russian orthodox church was another important step. The juridical [rehabilitation] is a necessary and last step."

Link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/russia/article/0...,863328,00.html

The crimes of the Tsarist regime are well documented, particularly against ethnic and religious minorities. This was especially true against the Jews (as well as Chechens, etc.). The Romanovs were personally involved in propogating the fraudelent Protocals of the Eleders of Zion, in establishing and enlarging the Pale of Settlement, and were complicit in the numerous pogroms. Contrary to what many apologists and revisionists hold, both Nicholas and Alexandra were notorious Jew haters. They're diaries, letters, conversations, and policies all confirm this. I'm working on a post with regards to the issue (a work in progress as I'm going throgh several sources, etc.)another forum and if anyone is interested, I can post a copy here.

In the meantime, Penny Wilson and Greg King have recently written an excellent book titled the Fate of the Romanovs. They've gone through previously unavailable archived material and conducted dozens of interviews etc. Marlene Koenig gave their book an excellent review and said (IIRC) that it was the definitive work on the subject and that it would set a new standard hereinafter. I would highly recommend it to those interested in the subject.

rchainho said:
NDTV.com

'No rehabilitation for Nicholas II's kin'

Associated Press
Saturday, May 12, 2007 (Moscow):
Moscow court has again denied a request by descendants of Russia's last czar to have the monarch and the royal family declared victims of political repression.
<...>

Lawyers for the czar's descendants had petitioned Russian prosecutors two years ago, asking them to classify the royal family as victims of political persecution. But prosecutors have consistently refused to make that decision, saying the execution was a premeditated murder, not a politically motivated killing”.

I think, all people understand, that it was the politically motivated killing. It is known, that the killing of Imperial Family was organized from Moscow by Jacob Sverdlov (Chairman of "ВЦИК", the formal chapter of the Soviet state at that time). Lenin knew and has approved this plan. It is known, that in the evening on July, 16, 1918 Lenin cabled the consent to Ekaterinburg. Bolsheviks in Ekaterinburg have received this telegram and after that they have shot Imperial Family. Lenin's participation in this killing was carefully concealed by bolsheviks, but it became known in 1990th years.
I think, the Moscow court has made the decision not independently, and under the instruction(indication) from the Kremlin. The Kremlin is afraid of activization of monarchic ideas in Russia. The Kremlin is afraid of everything, that can though a little to be oppositional his authorities.
Boris

They're saying that politically motivated killings don't count as premeditated murder? Whatever. If those killings weren't politically motivated, I'd like to know what they think would count as such.

I know. But it was ninety years ago anyway, so I don't think it matters so much anymore.

Rehabilitation of Imperial Family

Unfortunately, it is of great importance for Russia till now. Now the Kremlin does not want to remember the crimes of communists. Crimes of bolsheviks (communists) have begun from «a forcible vertical of authority = totalitarism», with acting (initiating) byLenin the Civil war and with the politically motivated killing of Imperial Family.
Thus, struggle for restoration of the truth of a history of Russia has today an actual meaning not only for Russia, but also for all civilized world. Besides this, a moral has crucial importance always and for ever - even in real policy.
I understand, that abroad our Russian problems can surprise and cause a misunderstanding. Alas, Russia has «an unpredictable past» till now and «the unpredictable past» can induce the unpredictable bad future for Russia...

Boris

Last edited by a moderator:
Russian royal pushes fight for Tsar's exoneration: lawyer
11 Jul 2008
A descendant of Russia's Romanov royal family has lodged new court appeals seeking official recognition that the last Russian tsar was killed for political reasons, a family lawyer said Friday...
Rest of the article

Court rehabilitates Emperor Nicholas II, royal family members

The presidium of the Supreme Court has ruled to recognize Nikolay Alexandrovich Romanov [Nicholas II], Alexandra Fyodorovna Romanova, Olga Nikolayevna Romanova, Tatyana Nikolayevna Romanova, Maria Nikolayevna Romanova, Anastasia Nikolayevna Romanova, and Alexey Nikolayevich Romanov as groundlessly repressed

Interfax-Religion

if Maria goes after money etc that will be the end of her, thankfully.

BBC NEWS | Europe | Russia's last tsar rehabilitated
I read that, but what does it mean? Is it largely symbolic, like an official apology? Or does it open the door for the descendants to reclaim properties, jewels, etc.?
I would say that it is a symbolic gesture to atone for a cold-blooded execution of Nicholas II and his family, thereby closing this controversial chapter in the Russian history. The Russian government will never allow anyone to claim ownership of property, jewels, etc formerly owned by the Imperial family, nobility, rich people. If they do open this Pandora box, it will upset the current balance within the country and set off a wave of social unrest. This is the last thing Russian ruling elite wants to deal with right now.
Every time I read a book or article about this tragic family, I can´t help to think that I wish there was a time machine, that could help save them. No matter their limitations, they were not evil people. He loved his wife and children and their end was just awful.
Nicholas II looks nice and peaceful now. However, he proved incapable of ruling the country, thereby making Russian people suffer various ills. I agree with Furienna, Nicholas should have better adapted to a fast-paced world around him instead of burying his head in the sand. As said by Machiavelli, "The one who adapts his policy to the times prospers, and likewise that the one whose policy clashes with the demands of the times does not". Nicholas II failed to adapt his policies to the times, and paid the ultimate price for this mistake.

Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna had the following to say when asked about the restitution issue in December 2007 interview with Interfax:

Interviewer: In the event you do somehow succeed in the courts, do you intend then to raise the question of the restitution of property, and what is your attitude toward this problem in general?

Grand Duchess: I have on numerous occasions said that I am against restitution because I believe that a new redistribution of property would be dangerous for civil peace in Russia. That was the position that my father and grandfather also held, although in their time it would have been theoretically easier to accomplish a restitution of property.
For Russia, which has liberated itself from the legacy of revolution, what is most needed now is stability. As far as linking the matter of the rehabilitation of the Royal Family with the restitution of property, for me such a linkage of these separate issues is simply absurd. I regret that people cannot understand that in this world there is more than money and property, that there is also the notion of faith, honour, a good name, of human and civil rights. Besides, my grandfather and father had sufficient resources such that I now can do all the things I want to do without having to seek the rehabilitation of the Royal Martyrs as some ploy to obtain the restitution of property.

Court rehabilitates Emperor Nicholas II, royal family members

The presidium of the Supreme Court has ruled to recognize Nikolay Alexandrovich Romanov [Nicholas II], Alexandra Fyodorovna Romanova, Olga Nikolayevna Romanova, Tatyana Nikolayevna Romanova, Maria Nikolayevna Romanova, Anastasia Nikolayevna Romanova, and Alexey Nikolayevich Romanov as groundlessly repressed
Interfax-Religion

¡I am so happy they were eligible for rehabilitation! And the statement of the Grand Duchess Maria about her not desiring the restitution of properties, is very noble. Very wise and noble words. :flowers:

Last edited:
I would not like to be viewed as cynical, but I find Grand Duchess's statements related to unlawfully appropriated assets prudent. She just approaches the whole matter in a sensible and careful way. Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna is fully aware of risks and consequences that will be attached to her decision to demand restitution from the Russian government. Thus, I would say that she is forced to produce this noble statement.
During her last visit Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna stated that she would fight for rehabilitation of Nicholas II and his family. The Russian government has fulfilled her wish.

What I am buffled about is what sort of restitution are they or are they not talking about? Vast quantities of jewelry, art,furniture etc was either stolen or destroyed.
Are we talking about the different palaces and real estate? How can anyone imagine the sums anyone is entitled to so they can make restitution?

I believe that the current course of the discussion (i.e., possible restitution) might be viewed as off-topic by moderators. Thus, it would be better find a better thread to discuss this issue. :flowers:

Court Rehabilitates Imperial Family
2 Oct 2008
...Yesterday’s decision cannot be appealed. The prosecutor’s office declined to comment on it, but government representative in the Supreme Court Mikhail Varshchevsky stated his disagreement with the decision. “It was a political decision, rather than a legal decision,” he said. Court spokesman Pavel Odintsov referred to “indirect evidence of repression.” The surviving members of the imperial family will not be eligible for material compensation, since only direct descendants of a victim of political repression have the right to receive a pension (ranging from 150 to 1000 rubles per month) and compensation for material losses up to 10,000 rubles. “No one’s going to take the Winter Palace away,” summarized lawyer for the imperial family German Lukyanov.
Whole article: Kommersant

---------

Royal family rehabilitation to help Russian society - Church
2 Oct 2008
The admission of unfounded repression against the Russian royal family will a promote moral rebirth in Russia, deputy head of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin told the Interfax-Religion...
Whole article: Interfax

---------

Rehabilitation of Nicholas II, his family members historic moment - Imperial House
1 Oct 2008
..."We can only welcome this. Of course, this decision means important consequences to modern Russia, because it restores the historic continuity of the Russian nationhood with a millennium tradition," Alexander Zakatov, head of the Chancellery of the Russian Imperial House of Her Imperial Highness Great Princess Maria Vladimirovna told Interfax...
Whole article: Interfax

Interfax http://interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=5581

"On January 15, 2009, the Investigative Committee's Main Investigations Department shut down an investigation under a criminal case dealing with the circumstances of the death and burial of Russian Emperor Nicholas II, members of his family and people from his retinue,"

J Kendrick;880809On a related subject... and since the "New Information on Two Pits" discussion thread is now closed... Why said:
still [/I]isn't over?

Why are those same living members of the Romanov family themselves now saying very clearly in their latest public comment: "The historical chapter connected with the regicide has not yet been closed."?

What is the relationship of the criminal investigation and Alexei's hemophilia?

Romanov's family members, especially Maria V. want money or properties from the Russian governement; I think the Russians are messing her up because they know the Russian people will never return to a monarchy, let alone that Maria V.'s son is a Prusian prince.

Maria V is not part of the Romanov Family Association.

There is a rift between the House of Romanov, which includes Maria V and her son and the Romanov Family Association, which includes virtually all the remaining Romanovs.

The House of Romanov and the Romanov Family Association have released 2 different press releases in reaction to the news that the investigation is now officially closed.

The Romanov Family Association have said the case of the Russian Imperial murders still is not over.

The House of Romanov have said they are waiting for the opinion of the Russian Orthodox Church before they give their response.

Why are the members of the Romanov Family Association now saying publicly that the case of the Imperial murders still isn't over?

See Interfax: Interfax-Religion

Why is the RFA now saying to the news media that Prosecutor Vladimir Solovyov's closure of the criminal investigation is "of no crucial significance for history"? Given Moscow's decision to end the investigation, why is the RFA now saying publicly: "The historical chapter connected with the regicide has not yet been closed."?

What are the living members of the Romanov Family Association now actually implying when they say in this latest public comment: "History itself will clear up all the cases and clarify the circumstances of the Royal family's death."?

JK

Our branch of the family is not reacting in any way to the end in the criminal investigation.The historical chapter connected with the regicide has not yet been closed,
See here Kendrick, they're still upset about the regicide, and they want more done to incriminate those responsible, maybe they even want an apology or some kind of retribution. But it has nothing to do with denying the evidence that identified the family members. This is about the criminal investigation only. They have made it clear before that they don't deny the DNA testings. It's not about that, and they don't mention it. It's only the regicide.

I think I would be a "little" upset if members of my family were all wiped out by bayonet and guns for whatever reason. Of course the family don´t want to close the murder case, they want to know more and who blames them.

I agree. They want the guilty named and blamed, dead or not. Just saying those responsible are dead now doesn't end it. They need to say exactly whose fault it was and name them- even up to Lenin himself. It upsets the family that the Russians are unwilling to do this and cast shame on the Soviet regime where it belongs. If someone suddenly discovered who Jack the Ripper was, nobody would hide it and say 'oh well he's dead', they'd name him and it would be a big deal. I have seen several 'cold cases' both local and widely known solved later after the murderer was dead, most recently the case of Adam Walsh (son of John Walsh of "America's Most Wanted.") The murder took place in 1981 and the killer has been dead since 1996, but once they found out for sure who he was they had a press conference and named him. The family said this gave them closure. This is what the Romanov Family Association wants and deserves, as any family would, famous or not. I agree with the family that there will not be a historical conclusion until the criminal investigation is completed and the guilty named.

(However, the case IS closed scientifically, and there is no longer any doubt the whole family is found and identified.)

>>"Our branch of the family is not reacting in any way to the end in the criminal investigation. For us it is not an event of crucial significance. The historical chapter connected with the regicide has not yet been closed," Romanovs Family Association spokesman Ivan Artsishevsky told Interfax on Thursday.<<

Interfax, 15 Jan 2009:
http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=5588

On this point, I agree with the Romanov Family Association's latest response as told to us by Ivan Artsishevsky.

AGRBear

Back
Top Bottom