Tsar Paul I (1754-1801) and wives Natalia Alexeievna and Maria Feodorovna

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She also had a daughter probably by Stanislaus Poniatowski (Anna Pavlovna, note the "legitimate" patrinomic), who only lived to be fourteen months old from 1757 to 1759.

Sergei Saltykov

Sergei Saltykov also had Romanov blood, he was descended from a sister of the first Romanov Tsar, he was also descended from several Rurikid branches.

I just read some interesting tidbits about Paul on another website. Paul, within hours of taking the throne, issued decrees outlawing waistcoats and jacket linings, and even decreed the size and shape of hats and shoes. He was enamored with the Knights of Malta -- a Roman Catholic order! -- and became the Grand Master. When England seized Malta, Paul became so incensed that he wanted to invade British India, even though this was against Russia's interests and alliances at the time.

Paul built the Mikhailovsky Palace with moats and drawbridges because he knew the populace hated him. After his murder, his wife and the mother of the new Tsar, Alexander, kept the screen Paul hid behind and the paperweight used to bludgeon Paul to death. The dowager Tsarina often received her son by standing before the screen, with the paperweight on a nearby table, as subtle reminders to her son of his complicity in Paul's death.

:previous:Interesting VM. I havent' studied much on Paul, just the cliff's notes. Thanks! :flowers:

Wasn't Elizaveta the last Romanov anyway? Peter actually belonged to the House of Holstein-Gottorps and just kept the Romanov name. I heard the Almanac de Gotha refused have listed them as the house of Romanov, but my memory might be playing tricks on me.
Yes they had the house listed as the House of Holstein-Gottorp Romanov. Each year a member of the Imperial Court would send them a polite letter protesting about the name and in their turn they would receive an equally polite answer stating that since Karl Friedrich , Tsar Peter III's father, was a Duke of Holstein Gottorp they could not liste them solely as the House of Romanov. I think that one year there was the idea of banishing the Almanach de Gotha in Russia (someone fed up sending all these letters thought it I suppose :D) but they were afraid of the outcry if it became known in the rest of Europe that the Romanovs treated the Almanach de Gotha the same way as revolutionary papers. So all the could do (and they did it often I believe) was to order that tthe Holstein Gottorp part had to erased to every copy of the book arriving in Russia

Didn't the Russians have the custom and habit of giving dynastic surnames to males or females as a way of continuing the family name? I am thinking specifically of the Yussopovs, because Felix's mama, Zenaida, was the last Yussopov and her husband took her name, and gave it to his sons, as a way of continuing the Yussopov dynasty.

Didn't the Russians have the custom and habit of giving dynastic surnames to males or females as a way of continuing the family name? I am thinking specifically of the Yussopovs, because Felix's mama, Zenaida, was the last Yussopov and her husband took her name, and gave it to his sons, as a way of continuing the Yussopov dynasty.
Zenaida asked for a special dispensation. Her husband was Count Sumarakov-Elston. I heard from friends studying this that he, the Count, wasn't too happy about giving up his family name for his wife's however, I cannot confirm this. Can you VM?

Zenaida asked for a special dispensation. Her husband was Count Sumarakov-Elston. I heard from friends studying this that he, the Count, wasn't too happy about giving up his family name for his wife's however, I cannot confirm this. Can you VM?

Russo my dear,

I cannot confirm this. Here is a passage from Lost Splendor written by Felix:

"My grandfather lived in Germany until be was sixteen; he then came to Russia where he entered the Army. He was later given the command of the Don Cossacks. He married Helen Sergeievna, Countess Sumarokov, who was the last of her line. On account of this, the Tsar granted Grandfather Elston the right to take his wife's name and title. The same favor was granted to my father when he married the last of the Yussupovs."

Felix goes on to write that his father's temperament was not suited to dealing with people or his wife's immense fortune, but Felix does not mention that his father was upset about changing their surname. I am assuming (perhaps wrongly) that Felix's father was not upset because Felix had no compunction about airing dirty laundry and since Felix was proud of his Yussopov ancestors, he would not hesitate to call out his father if the old man did not want the name change.

Sergei Saltykov also had Romanov blood, he was descended from a sister of the first Romanov Tsar, he was also descended from several Rurikid branches.

I'd like to see this family tree. Do you remember where you saw it?

AGRBear

Very very bad tsar paul I :(

he abolished a georgian monarchy :(

it is ironic that paul i who abolished georgian kingdoms and anexed them he was killed in that year by a georgian general.

The Grand Duchess Natalia Alexeievna refused to learn Russian.

The first meeting of Grand Duke Paul and his second wife

Back
Top Bottom