Tsar Nicholas II (1868-1918) and Empress Alexandra Feodorovna (Alix) (1872-1918)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thought it was about time I posted in here as I am fascinated with N&A! So I want to join in....
Which of Queen Victoria's children was Empress Alexandra's mother?
I must tell you this fascination really just began yesterday, while watching the 1970 movie Nicolas & Alexandra with Micheal Jayston and Janet Suzman. Plus my mom is fascinated by N&A, so I have read some of her books in the past.
I am interested in the Imperial Family's personalities, and thier life story, especially the Empress.

:previous:
Princess Alice was the mother of Alexandra. I saw the movie about a month ago and even though it's not accurate, it's pretty good.

Princess Alice, the melancholy daughter of Queen Victoria, pictured here:

Princess Alice of the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and is the mother of Alix/Tsaritsa Alexandra, whereas another Princess Alice (of Battenburg):

Princess Alice of Battenberg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

is the mother of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

Not too long ago, I kept getting the two women confused. Sometimes I still do, so please correct me if need be.

Princess Alice of Battenburg's son took the surname Mountbatten.

The two women are related, of course. Princess Alice of the United Kingdom (Queen Victoria's third child and second daughter) came first. And she is the mother of Princess Alix.

Prince Alice of the United Kingdom had another daughter, Victoria (of Hesse and by Rhine) who is the mother of Alice of Battenburg (also known as Princess Alice of Greece and Denmark). So, Prince Philip's mother was the niece of Prince Alice, Queen Victoria's daughter.

So Alix and Victoria (the Duke of Edinburgh's grandmother) were sisters. I think. If anyone can put this more plainly or in a chart or a different way, I would be delighted.

And Queen Elizabeth II is obviously also a descendant of Queen Victoria. Queen Elizabeth's grandpa was Queen Victoria's son, brother to Alice, Grand Duchess of Hesse.

Please correct me if need be.

Princess Kaimi,

You are correct. Princess Alice of Great Britain, the second eldest daughter of Queen Victoria, was the mother of Empress Alexandra of Russia.

Victoria - Alice - Alix (or Alexandra)

Princess Alice was also the mother of Victoria, her eldest child, who was the grandmother of Prince Philip

Victoria - Alice - Victoria - Alice (married Prince Andrea of Greece) - Philip

Victoria of Hesse and Alix were sisters.

The only mistake you made was in reference to Elizabeth II's grandfather being a son of Queen Victoria. Elizabeth's grandfather was George V, a grandson of Queen Victoria. Victoria's son, Edward VII, was a great-grandfather of Elizabeth II

And obviously, Queen Elizabeth II was a descendant of Queen Victoria

Victoria - Edward VII - George V- George VI - Elizabeth

Now you can see why Queen Victoria was referred to as the Grandmother of Europe

Last edited:
Now you can see why Queen Victoria was referred to as the Grandmother of Europe
And then we get into the nitty gritty of the haemophelia gene by afore said grandmother passed into a lot of the royal houses of europe. :D

Princess Alice of Battenberg's son Philip didn't take the name Mountbatten. The Mountbatten name came about during WWI when King George V ordered his family to change their Germanic names due to the anti-German sentiment. Thus Battenberg became Mountbatten. Prince Philip was a Mountbatten when he met the Prince Elizabeth.:flowers:

And by rights, I think, Philip's surname should have been Glucksburg or something similar, which was the royal house of Greece. Does anyone know why he did not take his father's surname? Was it because he was essentially raised by his grandmother, Victoria, Marchioness of Milford Haven, and his uncle, Louis Mountbatten?

Last edited by a moderator:
winston churchill and a little klnown family sqaubble as it where he the duke had to take the last name also of windsor his wifes familyname instead of her being named mountbatton or any other name
i think it should be a artcle on his marrige to the queen

The Duke of Edinburgh only assumed the Mountbatten name in the 1940s when there was much anti German sentiment in Great Britain. The original founder of the Mountbatten (Battenburg) family was a Polish woman with the Russian title of Julie von Hauk, countess and lady in waiting, who contracted a morganatic marriage with a German princeling in the Russian service.

While Mountbatten is included in the surname of the Queen's children and grandchildren the official designation of the dynasty is still Windsor. But I recall King Constantine saying his dynastic name is Oldenburg! This somewhat confused Queen Anne Marie who was with him at the time. I think Kell will agree that Sir Winston Churchill gave good advice on the surnames issue.

Last edited:
it dont matter since we are kinda off topic anyways lol but ya i agree but there wasa doc on it that showed the entire fight but lets get back onto the topic though churchchill did have many meetings at nicolhases palace at yalta

Thank you, Vasillisos Markos. I"m learning. I've been reading about the Romanov mtDNA project, which is on topic. I'm not sure what's harder, learning British royalty or mtDNA patterns.

:imperialrussia:
Today,march 15 in 1917 HM Tsar Nicholas II was forced to Abdicate.

Ouch, so it was ninetyfour years ago.

For all things about the Russian Imperial family with excellent photos, some quite rare and good information on other royal families, you can't go past the Alexander Palace Time Machine site. This site is very informative and check out the forums there where everything is discussed.

Alexandra Tsaritsa of Russia

I believe this very complex woman to be worthy of her own thread. She has long been vilified by some for being the main reason for Russia's fall. I feel that she has been misunderstood and therefore deserves a better hearing. I would very much enjoy discussing with you those things which made her the person she became and I look forward to joining in with lively debate.

I don't think she has been villified. She was just unsuited for her position. She was neurotic and she has a very sick child. She helped make a mess of the monarchy, but she was not alone.

The official Wikipedia portrait of the Tsarina in thumbnail.

Now, that's a tiara. She looks slightly peeved in the photo, though. I'm not understanding how she made a mess of the monarchy - or how, exactly, she was any more neurotic than most others. She had more children than most of us would want to have, these days, and she probably knew that certain illnesses ran in her family (that would be a very hard position to be in).

Picture is not subject to copyright.

Attachments

• Tsarina Alexandra.jpg
    Tsarina Alexandra.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 992
Last edited by a moderator:
I think she was a good wife and mother, just basically unprepared for life as a Russian Empress. Who could be? She really had no interest in titles or pomp, but once she became Empress, I think she was bewildered. The death of Nicholas' father was very unexpected. She was in Russia two months when she became Empress. She hardly spoke the language, and gave birth to four girls in rapid sucession. When Alexis was born, with a terrible cloud of hemophilia hanging over him, it isolated her even more, because the Russian royal house could not admit the Heir to the Throne was suffering from a life-threatening disease

Upon reading biographies of her, my impression of the Czarina is that the very qualities that made her an exceptional and devoted mother and wife led to her "failure" as an empress. For example, her dependence on the notorious Rasputin for her son's health definitely caused a wave of disapproval among the Russian elite, and encouraged damaging rumors about her and her family. This was a woman blinded by her love for her suffering child, oblivious to the public's perception of her and the consequences of her reliance on Rasputin.

Moreover, did she actually have a shot to be well-loved by the family she married in and her subjects if the circumstances of her birth -- her German roots -- would always have planted a seed of animosity towards her? As much as she was a granddaughter of Queen Victoria, I think that the Russian Royal Court overwhelmed her and intimidated her, thus forcing her to retreat further and focus on her family even more.

It did not help her cause that her husband is widely perceived by historians as a weak man, incompetent to lead the Russian Empire especially during the times that he did. His failures and wrong decisions will always be connected to her influence on him, unfair as that may be. He has been described as a devoted family man and a gentle, humble individual, but as the Tsar, he is definitely not esteemed in the same category as his father and the previous Tsars noted for their strength and will.

Last edited:
Alexandra had many good and bad qualities. As a wife and mother, she was very good; as the consort to an autocrat, she was very bad. Excuses can be made for her failure to appeal to the masses (i.e., she came to the throne unexpectedly before learning the language, she had children in rapid succession, a difficult mother-in-law, etc.) and these are all relevant; however, she meddled in affairs and dismissed people whom she believed were against Rasputin and this meddling by Alexandra was unforgivable.

She was probably desperate to keep Rasputin on side at all costs because in her eyes he was all that stood between her son and death so she was prepared to go to any lengths to pacify him. I wonder about her own health. All her life she seems to have "enjoyed" indifferent health. Was this real physical illness or was there an element of the psychosomatic? Had she, as a child watched her mother caring for her siblings and waited to experience her own share of care only for her wornout mother to die before it happened? Was it at that dreadful time she worked out that sick people are cared for? We know that at some point in her childhood she fell on broken glass which caused lifelong problems exacerbated by five pregnancies which all produced large babies.......but what about the "drops" she took regularly? Were they for a heart condition, real or imagined, or were they for menstual cramps which seem to have been an ongoing problem. What sort of effect on her did those other "substances" have and what was she taking them for? Was her health as delicate as we are led to believe or did she use illness to avoid those things she felt discomforted by?

In answer to your last question, Tsaritsa, I think a little of both. The Tsarina undoubtedly had some ailments (who among us has not) but I believe there was a tinge of psychosomatic illness involved as well. Her anxiety at appearing in public no doubt produced real symptoms of discomfort. Many people are able to overcome this problem, but she unfortunately was not.

Fact and fiction are rife with examples of people who claim to be "sick" to avoid what they view as unpleasant company or actions. Think Mrs. Stevens with her sick headaches on "Bewitched" and Aunt Pittypat in Gone With the Wind. My sister for nearly a year complained of stomach ailments each morning before school and begged to stay home but my mother would not be dissuaded and off my sister went. When the next school year began with a new teacher, there were no more stomaches in the morning.

The doctors may have been prescribing medicines to soothe the Tsarina's anxieties as well as to actually treat ailments. I do sympathize with the stress she endured as a result of her son's sickness. It is too bad her faith in God could not comfort her and bring some peace to "what will be, will be."

I believe that the Tasrina was shy coued not speak russian and her three of childern didn't go to her very often and she too many miscarriages and she gave her husband the heir with hempitmite.

She was shy, she had 5 children and she was with them constantly. The heir had hemophilia.

She seemed motherly to her children, loved Nicholas very much and worried constantly about Aleksey, but was she completely hooked on rasputin and believed all he said. She even didn't listen to Ella's consent about the man and insted kicked her out of the palace and refused to see her again. Grand duchess Xenia Alexandrovna also told her things about Rasputin but again alix refused to hear things like that. But alix tried her best to have a happy family and had her daughters support whenever she went to go lay down in the mauve room. She loved everyone in her family and was loved back. I just wonder what queen Victoria would say to hear that her favorite granddaughter was murdered.

In those days, Freud found lots and lots of "psychosomatic illness" among the upper class women of Vienna, and thereby discovered the "role of the unconscious" in their terrors. Women were indeed terrified of childbirth, of children dying, and they had very little to put their faith in.

Russia seemed incomprehensible to Alix and I agree, that in a situation like that (there was no real treatment for hemophilia and even today, children die of it), the guilt must have been tremendous. Rasputin, with his huge charisma and his own belief in his powers, attracted her the way similar kinds of religious people attract the desperate in our own times.

I do not see, still, how Alix's behavior led directly to the tragedy; it was larger forces in motion, put perhaps she did help put a final nail in the coffin of Russian monarchy. (I think it was doomed, no matter what and it just happened to be this particular family that ruled during WW1, which became the historical trigger for the revolution).

It's a very sad topic.

I love this picture of HM she looks so lovely and regal,like the empress she was
And a porcelain doll of her

Attachments

• image-3280016823.jpg
    image-3280016823.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 257
  • image-1754340703.jpg
    image-1754340703.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 272
funny enough ive always thought my mom resembled her

Back
Top Bottom